What age did you let your kids stay home alone?

No hate or any negative comments please as I’m just honestly curious but at what age did you start letting your kids stay home alone? Not to babysit the younger ones or anything but in general what age is okay to let your kiddo stay home alone? My son is starting to not want to go places with me and if I go out of town I make him but there’s times were I just need to run to our local dollar general or the gas station which are both only a couple blocks away and we live in a very very small town. On top of that my parents and grandparents live on the same block as we do. So I’ve considered letting him stay home if all I’m doing is being gone for 5-10 minutes to grab something from the store or gas station but still hesitant due to his age.

25 Likes

My son 13 but he’s also MMA & had been in it 2 years by then. My daughter is almost 17 and I still don’t leave her alone. :woman_shrugging:t2: I worked in law enforcement far too long to trust it.

7 Likes

I think it depends on the maturity of the kid I remember getting my babysitting license at 11 . I think that 10-11 is more then reasonable if they can handle it.

10 Likes

It depends on the child’s maturity really. I have a 10 year old that’s more responsible than my 12 year old lol
Perhaps one way to reason on it is to consider unlikely, but possible scenarios: would your child answer the door if a stranger knocked? Would they know how and when to call 911 in an emergency? Do they abide by other safety related rules at home, even when you are there? I started leaving my oldest (now 14) home alone for short periods of time when he was 12. I have security cameras, Alexa, and he has access to a phone to call me. The rules were no cooking, no going outside, nobody can come inside (neighbors, friends), do not answer the door if somebody knocks. We went over the rules sternly many times before he started staying home alone and I eased into it: going to check my mail (5 minutes), getting gas (10 minutes) ect. He now stays home alone for a few hours at a time once in a while.

I’m still hesitant leaving my 11 year old home alone and we also live in a small, very safe, nothing ever happens town. We also have cameras up in our house that I leave the app open on my phone if I run somewhere. The Walmart is 0.7 miles from our house and I’ll go grab a pick up order occasionally, but like I said I’m always super hesitant. My 11 year old is very, very immature though. By 8-9 years old I was home alone constantly, almost every single night and weekends from after school until after I went to sleep. I got myself home from school, made myself dinner, put myself to bed. My Mom was a bar fly and I got sick of having to sit in the bar with her, but I survived. Worst thing that ever happened was I started a pan on fire making pancakes, it went right out, and I didn’t burn myself so idk lol. I survived, wouldn’t do it to my kids though.

I was Safe Sitter Certified and CPR Certified at 11 and was babysitting newborns! It blows my mind that parents left their infants with me at that age, but I digress. My 6 yo is already so self-sufficient, I imagine she would be fine if I left her, not that I would! I think probably by 4th or 5th grade it would be ok to run a quick errand, depending on the maturity of the kid.

19 Likes

My son is 9 and has a phone he can stay at home if I’m not gonna be gone longer than 20 minutes. My dad lives directly across the street and my brother lives beside him and my grandmother lives beside him. He’s also real mature for his age. He knows to lock the doors and don’t open them for nobody. We have cameras surrounding our house that notify my phone and I can watch. I used to stay home alone and babysit my brothers all the time from like age 7. My mom was a single mom and worked 7am-7pm

1 Like

I personally don’t think it’s what age the child is (as long as their not babies, toddlers, extremely young) but rather how comfortable your child is staying home by themself, as well as how mature the child is. Some kids maybe ready before others.

5 Likes

In all honesty I would let any of my girls stay home alone till about 12/13 depending on the maturity, I think my eldest is nearly 8 and keeps asking me if I’d let her walk to the shop round the corner on her own she wouldn’t have to cross any roads but I still won’t let her, I feel tight because I was walking to the shop and walking around loads at her age but I just can’t bring myself to do it, the world scares me too much, when she’s playing out she has to be where I can see her. Feel like I’m being mean but I’m only trying to protect her as well as let her play out etc

3 Likes

14? But I’m paranoid for sure. And I for one don’t let my kid parent me. He doesn’t get to decide if he doesn’t want to come with. If he lives in my house I make the rules even if he’s 25

13 Likes

My oldest was 13 and youngest was 11 and they stayed by themselves in summer but I’m a 1.5 miles from my parents and local police where I’m at said as long as they know the number for an emergency and their address they can stay by themselves

I wouldn’t base it on age. Base it on maturity level. Hypothetically speaking, say your son is 15. But is unruly, would you feel comfortable leaving? Would he run away? Or is he 15, makes smart choices and would be fine to be left alone for small periods of time? I know you didn’t mention trusting him or not trusting him, but if that is possibly a concern, you won’t establish that trust until you start to do it.

1 Like

I would look up the laws of the state you live in. However it depends on the maturity of your child really. My mom started to leave me home alone (mind you we had close friends right next door) at age 11 years old. I know my moms and dad work number, I knew where to go for an emergency etc… However I grew up kind of young my parents would never leave my sister at home at the age I was. In the state I live in there’s no real age requirement however child neglect is still a threat.

2 Likes

I believe the law is 8 but I personally would go off how mature he is my 1st child I left home alone around 10 and my 2nd child was 12 cause I felt I couldn’t trust her as much it’s all on your judgement and how you feel

1 Like

My mom started leaving us at home at about 11/12. Twin sister and slightly younger brother. We had a house phone we could call her and our grandparents lived just a couple miles away. We lived in the country and were not aloud to go past the porch on the house. So we could sit out side with the dogs and we were not aloud to answer the door whatso ever. Strongly believe it depends on the child though

1 Like

I let my kids stay home alone at the age of 12, that is the legal age where I am from. I would check the laws in your area.

8 Likes

Age yes, maturity is a big thing…
My girls were both pretty responsible nd mature. I have worked from the time they were infants, so when they become old enough to do the simple at home thing… 10 ish… mine r 4 years apart. So at 8 nd 12, they did b4 the bus as they wanted to, I left at 6:30 ish, bus was 8:15-8:30 I think, nd after bus go there bout 4, I worked til 5… I live in Ontario, they can stay home think it’s round 10, watch there siblings at 11… small town as well our whole lives, again every child is different, ervey parent feels different,

1 Like

It truly depends on the child. My son is almost 12 and unless he is 100% occupied with something I don’t like doing it even the 10-15 errand run my daughter is 8 and I trust her more but with her being a girl I’m paranoid I always have the what if someone sees me leave thought in my mind

Small trips like that, my girls were 9 and 10. They are 11 and 12 now and have stayed home for longer periods. Just make sure he has a phone in case of an emergency and go over any rules. (Like don’t go outside or answer the door for anyone).

My oldest son was okay staying home alone for short periods of time when he was 8 or 9 but he was always super independent and mature!Every child is different!I believe there is a stay at home alone course your child can take not sure what age they have to be!

4 Likes

My 12 year old stays home once in a while if she doesn’t feel like going to the store or to pick up her siblings from school I wasn’t comfortable leaving her alone until this year

I was alone most of my life from 10 and on. I knew how to make myself dinner and do my laundry but now days I donno. I won’t even leave my five year with people lol.

My son is 9 & only short periods of time. He is also very responsible & has a phone. Now my daughters? They will probably be much older before that happens! Lol

1 Like

I started doing this when my son hit 8, he was very mature for his age. My daughter (now 11) loved coming with me everywhere, she still does sometimes.

I believe my son was 13 when we first let him stay home alone for a little bit

1 Like

9/10. I have with my 10 yr old because i trust her to make good decisions and be responsible. I wouldn’t go to a whole other town or more than 30 minutes away just because id be too paranoid. Lol I’m sure she’d be fine but I would feel too crazy inside about it.

1 Like

My son was 9 or 10 when I started letting him stay home while going somewhere close, like the grocery store, dollar store, to pick up food etc. slowly working up to longer times & a little farther away. I did go get him a phone once I decided to let him stay if I was gonna be more than about 10 minutes away. He’s 12 now & stays home alone all day if he’s out of school & I have to work

Depends on the age and maturity level

3 Likes

Definitely depends on maturity level, and knowledge but I think 11

2 Likes

My younger 2 of 3 are 11and 12 the 12 yr about to turn 13 this weekend but before turning 13 .last yr and now mostly on weekends the longest these 2 have been alone is an hr but there is phone with and neighbors know. That’s with me going store and home. Live in apt building and shortest was 5 to 10 min going to do laundry or getting mail from down stairs .when younger.

My son was 11 when I first had him home alone when I had to work during the day, or had an appt or he just didn’t want to go run errands with me.

1 Like

Mine was 14 I only did it a few times , but couldn’t follow through and let it continue. Didn’t feel comfortable with it at all . I tried and did not like . We also live in a small town . You just never know . She is 16 I still don’t allow her to be alone . But that’s just me .

1 Like

If your kid is old enough like a teenager. Don’t take chances. If you cant take them with you. Ask anyone close by that you left your kid alone for awhile. I did that yesterday, for the 1st time. She has cough and needs some rest. I just told my mom which is my neighbor, that I need to go out buy some medicines and will be gone for 30 mins. I came back home she is still in our room and my mom checked her. My daughter is 6 years old. Most of the time I leave my daughter to my mom if we need to go out to do some errands.

Depends on the kid. My almost 15 year old is more than capable of being alone and watching her siblings. My almost 13 year old is for sure not ready.

It never takes 5-10 minutes though. Just be responsible and take the kid with you. Anything could happen or go wrong in that time period. You could get stuck in traffic because of an accident, long line, someone breaks into your house, house catches on fire, etc.

4 Likes

Depends on the maturity of the kid and how well they follow rules

1 Like

I was 12 but in today’s world I would never leave my kids home alone

I think my daughter was 9 or 10 when I started letting her stay home while I ran to the gas station. She had a cell phone so if she needed me she could call me. She’s 13 1/2 now and we let her stay home by herself now when we go out for date nights but if we’re going out of town or something, she either comes with us or she goes to my parents house.

1 Like

Depends on the kiddo maturity and logic

1 Like

Each child is different. I was safe to be left alone at 5, while my dad worked he was not far away and I knew how to reach him. My brothers are now 54 and almost 43, not safe to leave them alone (no neither are mentally disabled, just lazy). My oldest child was 10 when I was comfortable with leaving her home for half an hour. My middle child was 14, my son was trustworthy at 8.

There is no legal age in my state, but the Fire Code says no child under 8 years old should be left alone. However, mine weren’t allowed to stay home alone for a few hours until middle school.

That really depends on the maturity level of the child more so than age. I think legally is hovers around 12, but again, maturity and capability factor in to that as well.

My oldest just turned 10 and I’ve slowly been letting him Stay home alone. He got a phone for his 10th bday to communicate with his dad and I so I feel way more comfortable

I rarely leave my 16 year old home alone, and if I do it’s not long and never over night. Being left alone is just not something we do.

Age is a big factor and maturity…

2 Likes

I myself wouldn’t maybe ask ur mom or family to sit with him

1 Like

Mine were older children 15 .13 11

1 Like

Check you state laws! Some have set rules and some are very vague

1 Like

Research your state’s “rules” about this please

1 Like

13 years was when we started

1 Like

9-10…depends on kid. Can they get put or call in an emergency?

12/13 just to run to nearby stores.

My sons 10 and I’ll let him stay home for short periods of time but only because we have multiple Alexa’s that allow me to drop in on him at anytime and it shows video and has audio.

11 Likes

No legal age here, my boys have been staying home alone for 2yrs. They were 10 & 7 when we started. Little trips out here n there n then whole work days. They are fine, don’t go outside, don’t open door, they only can use microwave and they always call to ask. They know the drill if there is an emergency like a fire or something. It has been just fine.

2 Likes

My daughter was 10? She had a cell phone and I was 5 minutes away. We started off with minimum time away from the house and my friend/neighbor across the street kept an eye on the house while we were away. My daughter knew where to go and who to call if help was needed.

When I was growing up, my parents trusted me to be alone around 9-10 for maybe for an hour or so at a time while parents get home from work etc

It’s all about the kids mental maturity etc
All my neighbors were also very close and I could always go next door if I needed something

My kids were alone from about 7. But that was a different time. When I was 7 I walked to school and church alone and went to the store for my mom. My dad was overseas in the army and my mom alone with me and two babies. Different world.

Maturity and common sense plays a BIG part. My older children stayed home at 8+ but I have a 10 year old that I wouldn’t dare leave alone. He is immature and lacks common sense.

I’m curious if there is an actual legal statue that specifies this limit cause I have had the same question about my almost 10 year old, as we have neighbors that are home all the time, but feel that’s still too young even for a quick run to the gas station 10 minutes away.

Depends on the kids maturity level. I was 10 & brother was 7, we’d stay home alone for about 1-2 hours til my mom got home after school. I was 13 or 14 & she had to go pick my ex step dad up from an out of town job in Illinois because his car blew up & i stayed home alone overnight,then got myself up for school & caught the bus the next morning. Granted that was 20 years ago & stuff wasn’t as crazy then.

1 Like

Id say 12 or 13. When my parents lived in apartments I was 12 and my sister was 10 we stayed home alone but they had a woman that lived in the apartment complex check in on us from time to time . I didn’t get to stay home alone without being checked on until I was 14 and my sister was 12. It all really depends on maturity of the child .

There’s so many factors. State laws, maturity, neighborhood, what you’re comfortable with etc.
My husband and I just had a discussion about this not long ago. We decided after fire arms safety classes and lots of practice and once we are 110% comfortable with her around fire arms we will allow it. This world is scary and the police aren’t quick enough. I want to know she has a chance at defending herself before she’s left home alone. I wasn’t a very protected child so I am an overprotective mom.

And I just wanna say I don’t want any debate or comments about the fire arm. I know they aren’t for everybody. I respect that. This is just what makes us feel safest as parents considering things that have occurred in our small town. My daughter is 12 and it’ll still be a few years before she’s left home alone.
I also seen another mom state what if something happens and you don’t make it home. Making sure they are able to handle that situation is great advice.

1 Like

Also if they have a phone download the life 360 app. It’s amazing and alerts you when they leave or enter your address. It’s so neat

10 and 9. But I get anywhere in town in about 5-10 minutes. In Texas there isn’t a law about age though.

My older sons uses to stay home from school let out to 5/6 when I got home from work and they did great. At the time they were 9/10.
My daughter’s are currently 9 and 10 and if I go to the gas station to long they have full blown panic attacks :expressionless: every kid is different.

I think it’s more than an age thing, but more maturity level. I’d say at least 11, but sometimes a 15 year old is less mature than another 12 or 13 year old. You have to know your kid. Can you trust them home alone to stay safe, get what they need, and reach out if they need help?

1 Like

Depends on maturity level and necessity. My oldest was 14 bc he was really immature. My 12 year old stays home for 10 to 15 mins after school because I have to pick up his brother from school and he gets home while I’m gone. We have cameras and a security system though so I can check on him.

Actually can’t believe people leave 8/9/10 year olds on there own, what if there was a fire, someone tried to get in, would ur child be confident and know what to do

2 Likes

We also have to consider that if something was to happen to us while out …they’d be left on their own until someone realized they are alone.
Always let them know what to do if you don’t return at the appropriate times.

1 Like

Depends completely on the child. I feel that I have fairly responsible kids, they know what to do in an emergency situation, they know which neighbour’s they can go to. Also, have camera so I can monitor. My oldest has been staying home since she was 9, my second started around 10 (turned 11), and my third started this year at 9. Short periods to start upwards of 4 hours now. You know your kids & what they are and aren’t capable of handling. My youngest is only 8- he will probably be 10 before alI consider letting him stay home.
All have either the home alone course or the sitters course. At some point we need to be able to provide realistic means for kids to gain independence and learn how to behave appropriately by themselves.

1 Like

10/11 for hour or two we have cameras n echo

It depends on the maturity of your kid. My son was about 9 or 10 and my daughter was 12 when i started letting them stay at the house.

1 Like

12 seems excessive. I was baby sitting other peoples children alone at 12.

8-9 for short period if mature/responsible.

12 I left my twins at home for periods of time I worked 6 am to 11 am so in summer I left them sleep in while I Worked

Depends on the kid. I let my youngest stay home alone a lot earlier than her older siblings because she was more mature.

Around like 10 depends on how mature they are too ya know like my son is 13 now and yes I was babysitting at 13 but my son is good by himself but doesn’t pay enough attention to his siblings to be a good babysitter so I guess it just goes on their maturity level

In today’s world I wouldn’t until at least 14/15.

I just don’t trust anyone. That’s with me having an alarm that police really do respond to (have accidentally had if go off and they’ve shown up shortly after)

It’s more of how mature they are and how much you trust them. Both my kids were around 10 when we’d leave them home for a short time. They knew now to use the stove, how to call 911 and where to go for help in case they needed something. My mom also lives a few minutes away so I’d check with her in the beginning to be sure she’d be close to home too

It definitely depends on maturity. When my oldest was 9 I would have let him for short spurts, but my twins that are currently 9 I would never. We have Alexa’s here and my older kids have phones but my twins don’t (again just not mature enough). If you think he’d be ok, give it a shot…

My boyfriend’s youngest is 9, and he’s just now started letting her be home alone for an hour or two at a time. Never longer. So far she does amazing. Doesn’t use the cooktop, texts to make sure she’s using the microwave correctly. We’ve even tested her fight or flight skills if someone came banging on the door. She keeps it double locked and goes silent. He will probably up it by an hour or two next year if she continues to show responsibility and safety.

Just depnds on how well the child can fend for themselves in all reality you have to consider what if something happens to you and you don’t make it back in the said time frame or at all. How will your child cope if you don’t come back? Will they know to go find a neighbor? Or how to find help? These are the things that cross my mind when considering leaving my kids home alone.

My daughter was 10, id let her stay home alone for short periods of time. Like when dad would come pick me up from work or If we went grocery shopping. My son was 11. Short periods. Now my daughter is 13 n shes able to stay home by herself a few hours.

My older two started staying home alone at 8yr old. But my youngest is almost 8 and i don’t trust him by himself just yet.

Depends on the state laws honestly. I’m pretty sure where I live the age limit is 12.
But I know it depends on how mature the child is.

With the way things are today the thought worries me to be honest. If your kid is trained in mma then 13 but honestly I watch too many crime shows to even trust that. Homes are too easy to break into.

Now this next opinion most won’t like but living in an apartment I feel is a bit safer as people can’t watch or see as much. I would do 12 or 13 in an apartment

My boys are 10 and 12 and they stay home alone occasionally. I get them stuffed before I leave so no eating or risk of choking while I’m gone.

I think it depends on the maturity of my kids. Do they know how to work a stove, what to do in case of a fire, not to have anyone over or open the door to others etc

My son is 11 and can stay home for short periods. It all depends on the child too. He’s a very laid back and mature kid for his age. Also live in a small town of 1,000 people, but no family around.

my son is 10 and i’ll let him home if im no father then 10 minutes from my house at any given time for like 2 hours max. my daughter is 7 ill only only leave her with him if im running to the gas station and back and will be back home in less than 15 minutes

Depends on the maturity of the child. My 15 year old daughter was 13 when I started letting her stay at home for short periods. My son is 14 and he is no where near mature enough to be left alone. But to be fair, he also has some cognitive disabilities and I’m not sure if or when he will ever get to a point not to need consistent supervision.

My oldest is 10 and has just started staying home for an hour or so alone but we also have a German shepherd that won’t let anyone in the house either🤣

My son is 9 and is in 3rd grade. I have left him alone for maybe 30 minutes tops. He can also call me on his iPad or Apple Watch. We practiced doing this before I left. And the first time I did, he called me 3 times. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Depends, my daughter, I could leave her at 8-10 for small intervals. My middle- around when she was 12, my son when he was around 10 also. My 7 yr old now- never, he’s a menace to everyone.

In my state they cannot legally stay home by themselves until they are 14. However for short periods of time we have left them home alone since they were 12. It depends on the maturity of the child and the rules you have set in place. For example, we have taught our children that when they are home alone to stay in the house with the doors shut and locked, windows shut (we have central air for heat concerns), and if someone comes over and knocks on the door DO NOT answer it no matter what (the important people have keys)…

I’d say look it up by state. In my state it’s says the age is 12, but I’d also look at the maturity of your child. Also, and this is just me, I always said my kids don’t stay home alone unless they also have a cell phone

My son does & hes 11,he never wants to go anywhere unless it’s to go do something fun. Not for long & he also has a phone to get ahold of us if need be & we can watch him on our cameras. Doors stay locked & hes not allowed outside until we get home. My daughter is 8 but always wants to be with us. Alot of times I still make him come with us bc I’m not comfortable leaving my babies anywhere without me.

It depends on the child,you,yourself should know how dependable he,she is…

My daughter is almost 11 and stays home by herself for 30-45 mins, rarely it’s up to an hour. We started a few years ago for 10 minutes or less and worked our way up. We do have 2 large scary looking dogs and she has a phone plus she has a friend that lives directly across the street and she knows she can go there for help in an emergency. I also never go far, always within a 5 minute drive from home

My almost 11 year old is and has always been super responsible and knows what to do incase of an emergency and I still will not leave her home alone.

Depending on the child. I let me oldest stay alone 15 mins at 12. My middle at 11 my youngest is 9 and I don’t think I’d let him as he’s add and to hyper.