What age do girls get their period?

I was 10 and my sister was 9, nothing to worry about. I am super short but that had nothing to do with an early period, it’s genetic

My aunt was 8 when she got hers

I got mine when I was 9 and I still grew for much more than two years, and I have never heard tell of being able to stop it once it starts. My ex step daughter also started at 9 is now 13 and continued to grow and still does. I am 5 4 ish but did not reach that height until I was 13 or 14… Lots of women start young and kids are starting younger and younger now it is normal hard to teach them but normal.

I was 9 when i got mine. wore a size C bra, was 5 '3 and the tallest in my class. Im now 23. Still 5’3 but now wear a tripple D bra. :joy:

Wow, that seems young to me. My daughter was 13 when she got hers.

I was 9 when I got my period, I grew another 7 inches by the time I was 14…I am five foot ten…I dont think that is necessarily 100% accurate.

1 Like

I got mine when i was 8 i was 5" 1 im 28 now and im. 5"9 i wouldnt worry about it

Leave her alone kids grow much faster these days if she’s healthy then just keep a eye on her no problems no changes to stop her period that could cause her health problems when she gets older

Doctors sometimes… I swear…

I did not know this!

Search Results

It’s normal and healthy for you to gain weight while going through puberty. … On average, girls grow about 3 inches (8 cm) per year during the growth spurt. Girls usually stop growing taller about 2 years after starting their menstrual period.

My two best friends in school were 9 when they got theirs. Its within the normal range.

My daughter was 8 and is now 15 and only recently stopped growing

I was 13, my oldest was 8 or 9 and my youngest is 11 and started in March🤷

Today many girls start as early as age eight. This is due to the hormones in our water and meats that we buy from the gocery store. The sad thing is that most are not mentally able to understand what this mean and deal with it unless you have a very mature 8-year old. I m gratefulvthat my 10-year old grandaughter has not started her period yet. We have had the discussions and have the items she needs bought and on hand but I am thankful she can be a child" a while yet.

I know lots of young girls her age who got it. I have friends who got it around then too. It’s normal. I dont know what u mean by " have the doctor stop it". Is that a real thing? Where can I sign up. If doc isnt worried then it is what it is. Shes young, yes…but it’s time for her. She will still grow in height. Getting a period doesn’t make u stop growing. I was 4 foot 9 when I got mine and I grew to 5 foot 5. (I’ve lost an inch…thanks aging process lol).

I was 9 when I got mine. And my little sister was 10 when she got hers. I’m 5’4 and she’s about 5’5 and still growing, she’s 14

I was in the 4th grade when I got mine, I’m 5’0…but both of my parents are short

I just started whenever I was eight as well

I was 9 when I started. I was only 5’. I’m now 5’8". My step daughter was 10 and she did stop growing shortly after. Shes only 5’. But her mother is only 4’10".

1 Like

I was 12 when i got mine. My nana was 9

I got mine at 9. You may think it’s too early and you may not be ready…but equip her with the proper knowledge about her body

I got my period that young. I’m okay. But I am 5’2” so if she has dreams of being a basketball superstar that might not be in the cards lol

I didn’t know that was even possible at such a young age …until my daughter started hers at 9…

If she has it mama, she isnt too young for it. Her body is ready for it even if you arent emotionally ready for it. My best friend got hers at 8 and so did her sister, I got mine at 9, my now 13 year old got hers at 10. I was real short when I got mine but the summer I turned 11 I had a 6 inch growth spurt, so keep your head up, cause just because shes tiny now doesnt mean she will stay super tiny :slight_smile:

I started mine at 8 matured quicker than the other kids but I grew fine and I’m okay

I got mine for the 1st time at 9. It didn’t get it again till I was 13. i grew till I was 18 though.

I was 9 when I started mine. I’m now almost 30 and I sit at 5ft6! I definitely wouldn’t give her anything to stop it. This is a normal process and clearly her body is aware of what it is doing. Interfering would potentially just cause more problems… maybe not now, but later on.

I was 8 when I got mine. I am 5’ tall. I feel like i stopped growing around 11. Everyone else in my family is tall.

That’s a bunch of bull
You don’t stop growing because of your period lol
If that were true most women would be the size of 11 and 12 year olds
As for you thinking your daughter is too young that’s really not up to you it up to her own bodies development

5 Likes

I was 9, n I’m 5’ 3". My older sister was same age n she is 5’10, so the doctors don’t know. Why would u stop it? That is like oh I want to have my baby early so the doctor induces u. There is nothing wrong with her starting early.

My girls were 10 when they started (they’re 11 and 19 now). You don’t stop growing 2 years after you have your period, that’s ridiculous. I’d be looking for a new doctor.

1 Like

That was true for me. I got my period at 10 and have been the same height since i was 12. 5’7"

I got my period at 10 and I’m 4’11"

I got mine at 9 and I’m 5’10 :woman_shrugging:

You don’t stop growing it just slows down don’t worry got mine at 11 and I’m 5’2" us short people are ok

1 Like

I got my period at 10 quit growing at 16

You dont stop growing because you start your period 🤦 that has nothing to do with growing. Periods are natural. Some girls get them young, some girls get them later. If you stop her period this early in developing it couldn’t be good

My 10 year old niece just got hers

My daughter was 12.but that school year she grew 6 inches.

I started mine at 9. I quit growing at 14. And very little from 12-14.

I was 11 and didn’t stop growing until I was 14. I don’t think messing with natural cycle is a good idea.

I got mine at 9. had it a whole year then it stopped. I am 5’4" and bones are good. I also was born with POS so when my periods stopped, I did not get them again until I was around 22yoa. And then only for a year. then no more. Sucks. Keep an eye on it, but dont panic. The idea she will stop growing is not true in all cases. Relax a little. At least you are looking into it and follow up is important. Good luck.

I started when I was 9, so please don’t be too hard on yourself. I’m 5 foot 2 :slightly_smiling_face:

I was the same age, I’m 5’7".
Everyone is different, I wouldn’t mess with the natural process! That usually does more harm than good! My sister got hers at 14 and is 5’5".

I got mine at 11 an in same height an shoe size the same

QUESTION:
To everyone who’s saying they got their periods so young- had you already been educated on periods prior to it happening so you knew what it was when it happened?
I didn’t plan on talking to my daughter about periods at such a young age, but this post is making me think I should talk to her now. I don’t want her to get her period without knowing what it is and freak out thinking she’s dying :unamused:

1 Like

Wow, that does seem young. I think I got mine at like 13 or 14

Uhm I definitely didn’t stop growing 2 years after getting my period. I was 9/10

I was 9 and I’m 5’ 7”

I started at 9 I’m 5’6”

I got mine when I was 9.

Yes I’ve heard it. Depends on your genes as well.

No but I would not worry about it if that’s the way her body is so be it .

I got mine at 9 and I’m 5’3.

I got mine at 13 but stopped growing at 12 lol so im backwards?

You still grow even you get your period. You can get your period as early as 8 years old. Everyone’s bodies is different, my little cousins got it way earlier than I did. They were 9 when I was 16.

I was 8 or 9 and im 5.8 ish

I got mine when I was 8 also I’m 5’7

I got mine at 10 and I definitely didn’t stop growing at 12. She’ll be fine.

My sister started at 9.

I started at 9 but I’m 5 foot 3 inches

Both my sisters started there period at around 11 including myself. My youngest sister started and then it didnt come back for like 5 yrs after her first one. I’m 5’5, my sister 5,4 and my youngest sister is over 6 feet tall so I dont really think it works with growing to much.

I was 9 when I got mine but I’m 5’10” :woman_shrugging:t2:

My daughter got hers when she was 10 on christmas day.

I started at 14 and am 5’2"

This is totally normal she will be fine!

My daughter was 9 and no problems presented from starting at that age,

Oh my gosh thats terrible9

My baby got hers at 9. She’s 13 and still growing.

Had mine at that age and I still had growth spurts after that. I’m still not tall but none of the women in my family are very tall.

Someone I know has a 6 yr old neice (I know that’s not right but it’s 6 am here) that has hers

I got mine when i was 8… no biggie. Everyones different really
I wouldnt prevent the natural course though

Well I have only grown 2 feet since I was 5 and I certainly didn’t have my period then so I don’t think she will stop growing because she got her period

Don’t think the growing is true i started my period 10 going on 11 and I was short for sometime and then high school 5’0 then senior year 5’1 then after school some point because at 25 when I had my son I found out I was 5’2 and some doctors say and 5’2 1/2

My sister was 9 when she did.

Girlfriend got hers at 10, her twins around 9.

Daughter got hers at 7

Your doc sounds like a wack job lol

1 Like

How do you stop it ?? And lol that’s the weirdest thing I ever herd I don’t think you stop growing haha but good luck !

1 Like

I was 9 and im 5’4 which is average. It was no big deal.

I got mine at 10 :woman_shrugging:
I personally wouldn’t stop something that came naturally

1 Like

I can imagine that being short for the age of 8 and then not growing much after that would be a pretty short adult. I know that the doctor could stop the period with non-stop birth control pills. I don’t know about the growth part I do know that we stop growing after puberty tho. You could Ask for the doctor to refer you to a gynecologist to get more information. All in all it can’t hurt to stop her period. It won’t hurt her to not be having it and she may be relieved to not have to deal with it for awhile.

Every woman in my family got it between 7 and 11. My daughter was 10 but had a period right after she was born, that was scary, but come to find out normal for some girls.

Got mine at 8, I’m 5’3 but my whole family is short. But I wouldn’t let her doctor “stop it”.

2 Likes

I got my period when I was 8 (month before my 9th bday). I never heard the 2 more years thing but it would make sense to me now. I’m the same height as most 11-14 year olds (24 btw) and the only growing I’ve really done is my weight and pregnancies.
How ever my sister also got hers early but not THAT early and she’s way taller than I am but her mom is also a tall woman.

It is now happening from 8-11.

I started at 9.Im going to be 50 next month.

Normal for some. You do not finish growing until your early 20’s like 23 for women.

Had mine at your daughter’s age and stopped growing at 10.5 years old. I’m 5’4 and 1/4 but it’s perfectly normal. It all depends on the person

I got my period at 9.

All the women in my family are petite and all the boys are over 6ft so :woman_shrugging:t5:

I wouldn’t stop it but let it naturally occur.

5 Likes

I know a guy they stopped his puberty because it was “too soon” and he is a teenager with unworking parts now…I’d never recommend stopping it because it can have worse effects that you wont know about till they are older

5 Likes

2 more years of growing - that is crap

5 Likes

Stephanie 8yrs seems so young! But watch one of our girls get it then.

Yes its completely normal!!! My daughter had hers at 8

OK oh my gosh I started my period when I was nine, I am currently 21… I am 4’8” tall… I would see another doctor if I were you if you were very concerned about your child growing up… Feel free to message me for more because I can go on on…

I got mine at 8 and kept growing just fine. Lol where do they get this info?

My mom got hers at 9 and she’s 58 and she was fine. I was 11 and I’m fine and I’m 23.

Don’t mess with her body’s natural process just because you’re scared, she was made to do this.

1 Like

Let nature take it’s course. You have nothing to worry about.