What age should kids learn about guns?

I live in the south. I believe in gun control and the fact not everyone needs a gun. I think there should be way more steps to get a gun. However, at a young age as soon as a child can understand I think they should be taught about gun safety.

2 Likes

Best way to teach them gun safety !

What?! My son was suspended in kindergarten for having a Nerf gun key chain. Due to a No gun policy!

1 Like

No not over reacting atall. I wouldn’t be happy with it x

1 Like

Personally we got nerf guns for my son at a very young age because they are fun! But we started teaching him gun (real) safety at a couple months old. I know sounds strange. In our house we believe that it’s never too early to learn about guns, learn that these guns are not toys unlike the nerf gun or squirt guns, to learn proper handling, proper care. He knew the difference at a very young age. He knew that he was never to touch a real gun. We of course keep everything locked up in a gun safe. He was about 10 when we got him his first shotgun. That too is locked up in the safe. He only uses it when an adult is present. So back to your original question I think you might be overreacting a little, it’s just a nerf gun. It’s just a way for kids to run around and have a good time without hurting each other.

3 Likes

Yes you’re over-reacting it’s a toy styrofoam play bullet with a suction cup. My son is 10 and has been playing with them since he was 3. Just let him play with them outside and make sure he knows not to shoot them at anyone’s face or up-close.

1 Like

Now. Never to early to learn🤷🏻‍♀️

I wouldn’t be ok with a preschool sending home nerf guns its not appropriate for a school to do that. Its a nice gesture but it is not appropriate at all. If youre ok with him playing with them make a target and teach him to play with it shooting at the target not people. And explain why we shoot at a target not people. I wouldn’t get into the guns with him being that young. Just safety with the nerf gun like it could hurt people if you accidently get them in the eye etc. And id just leave it at that. And I’d talk to the school. With school shootings etc it is not appropriate even though its a nice gesture its not an ok present from a school. Side walk chalk would be a more appropriate gift or no gift at all.

My son got a children’s sized .22 rifle for his 4th birthday. There’s a conceal carry class near us that also teaches gun/shooter safety to kids 4 and up, so he took that class on top of us teaching him gun safety. All of our firearms are locked in a safe in my closet and each one has a trigger lock on it too. And we keep the safe key and trigger lock keys separate so if he were to ever break in he still wouldn’t be able to use any of them. But he’s never attempted to open the safe.
We live in rural nc so it’s very common for children to have small rifles and/or be taught how to shoot at a young age for the sake of hunting.
Not to mention we have 2 giant groups of people that shoot black powder muskets for 24 hours straight to celebrate new year Eve and day.

2 Likes

I am not a fan dir gin only cuz of sumthings tht happened in my chikdhood HOWEVER I do believe (especially if you are gonna have 1 in yr home or on yr person) tht kids as younf as 4 (maybe younger this is MY OPINION should KNOW the rights and wrongs about guns and I was taught with a bb gun until I was able to handle a real gun. i am all for knowledge n don’t get me wrong I am not judging to thise tht have done gin classes or teaching younger!! I feel the more knowledgeable you are about ANYTHING the more responsible you are!! even tho our son is 4 we do teach him basic gin skills with nerf guns (yes I am 100% aware tht they arent even remotely close to real guns) but we teach he not to point at ppl or living animals (we are not in the hunting stage yet so plz keep yr negative craps to yourself we hadda start sum where) n will be gettin him a bb gun at about 6 n then we will see what happens. I am aware alot of states n ppl teach way younger n tht is their choice but this was hubby n my choice and yes I get shot many times with Nerf darts but for the most part he does really well. not sure if this helps just giving u our experience. knowledge is power on my book

My son is 4 and we’ve been teaching him gun safety since he was about 2. He started shooting at about 3 and we treat his toy guns just like our real ones so there is no confusion. He will also get to hunt with his dad this year. As far as what the school did I don’t necessarily think it was wrong kids love nerf guns but I think it also depends on what the families believe is okay and not for their kids

Yes you are overreacting. I shot my first REAL gun at age five. Gun education is important and remember guns don’t kill people. People kill people.

7 Likes

My son is three. I knows gun safety and what they are capable of. We have guns in our home, locked up! My husband hunts.
It was safer for us to teach him young.

1 Like

Didn’t gun safety used to be taught in schools?

1 Like

Yes. 10000% overreacting. It’s never too early to teach safety, especially firearm safety.

3 Likes

My son is 3 and hubby lets him shoot his little .22. He has ear protection and he’s only allowed to touch it when his daddy is shooting with him. Even at 3 years old he knows to never touch a gun. We keep them all locked up but he still knows. At 3 years old he knows he needs to wear ear protection and can only shoot when daddy holds it with him. At 3 years old he knows not to touch the gun cabinet. He’ll even tell you not too touch them without daddy. It really just depends on your opinion as parent(s) to your child(ren) and ONLY your opinion, no one elses!!! When he turns 8 he will be able to shoot the gun by himself, but until then he will need daddy’s help and only will be able to do so IF he knows all the rules that come with it. He has nerf guns and follows gun safety with them best he can and that’s a good enough start for us. Been teaching my 9 year old brother as well as my 14 year old sister. Everyone should know gun safety, whether you believe in them or not.

As soon as they come out the hole where I’m from! :woman_shrugging::joy:

3 Likes

My oldest son started learning to shoot at 4. By the time he was 5 he could disassemble to clean and put back together. I’ve never once had a problem with him not being responsible when he had one in his hands. He is now almost 18 and is a fantastic marksman

It’s a freaking nerf gun. My 2 year old got one :rofl:

2 Likes

My 5 & 3 year old play with nurf guns , & both have shot real guns. I believe it is important to teach them about gun SAFETY & guns in general at a younger age. They both know DO NOT touch a real gun. My 5 year old already hunts with his daddy or pawpaw :woman_shrugging:t3:

Hella over reacting my son in pre school loves nerf guns!! Now is a good time to teach him that real ones aren’t safe for him until he gets older

I’ve been around guns since about age 4. I’ve learned how to handle and shoot a gun since that young. But the first thing that has always been said to me is a gun isn’t a toy. You don’t handle it unless you have to or you are using it during hunting. That you don’t point it at ANYONE loaded or not. Also you don’t point a real gun or a play gun at anyone’s head. But teaching gun safety is a major key!!!

As early as possible. It’s just a nerf gun. Use it as a teaching moment but let him have fun with the nerf gun.

1 Like

I dont think its wrong as long as you educate them.

I would think 7 or 8. That’s when my dad started teaching me about how to shoot and gun and gun safety

My personal opinion, they sent home a nerf gun, not a Glock. Letting your kid shoot a nerf gun doesn’t make you a bad mom. Just teach them not to point at any people or animals.

3 Likes

As soon as they can hold one. Always teach gun safety from the beginning

Whoa, I say find a bee preschool. I’m a preschool teacher and we have all the kids playdoh… plus how sexist that only the boys would get nerf guns. That is really inappropriate, and for some could be offensive.

3 Likes

My sons have been around guns forever.

I’ve been teaching my daughter gun safety since she was 2 :woman_shrugging: she’s 3 now and knows she’s not allowed to touch a gun.

When she’s like 5 or 6, my husband will start teaching her how I actually use one.

It’s never too early to start teaching gun safety

3 Likes

Yes you are highly over reacting! Its a toy and you can’t say you’ve never played cops and robbers as a child. A nerf gun inst going to kill anyone. I started teaching my daughter and sister about guns at the age of 5 and six. They learned about gun safety first. I put a pellet gun in both of their hands first thing and made them run through how to use it and what all the parts were. I tested them on gun safety. They both now can shoot a 22 rifle at 9 and 10. Kids need to know the safe way to use guns.

4 Likes

It’s a personal choice. I feel like the earlier the better. My kids played with toy guns from a very young age. And from the start we always explained to them you never point a gun at people. Shoot at toys, targets, whatever not people. We also are always emphasizing that you treat all guns as if they are real. Don’t look down the barrel, watch where you point it, be aware of whats aground you before shooting… Guns don’t scare me. My kid not knowing how to properly handle one does. I would hate for the first time my kid saw a gun be at a friends house unsupervised or something and them not have any knowledge of gun safety.

:joy::joy: lady if the gift bothers YOU send it back. Let other parents parent their kids. End. Of. Story.

not up to the school and a little weird

2 Likes

As soon as they are walking! Just as you would a stove is hot.

2 Likes

Every kid is different
My kids (5) girls have been around guns since birth. My oldest is now 21 and married youngest is 12.
Growing up our girls had friends that didn’t respect guns due to immaturity and lack of knowledge. You don’t hand your 5 year old a .22 to go out back and shoot birds ect. You start them with a BB gun. Progress from there they all learn at different speeds there’s no magical number

2 Likes

I’m sure you’re a lot of fun at parties🙄

My husband started teaching my daughter when she was 5ish.

Yes…over reacting…my kids are 6,7,and 10 and they all have nerf guns…and have shot real guns…they are also taught gun safety…on several levels as far as holding, shooting,and even how to properly store a REAL gun…they are being taught…maybe you should do the same…my oldest was 2 the first time he shot a gun with help frm grandpa…they are all being taught gun safety and I personally think there is nothing wrong with that…I’d rather them know how to properly use a firearm is they ever should need one then be scared of it…right now your child was given a toy…start by showing and telling your child the ways with a toy…don’t point at people or animals…or themselves…never put your finger on the trigger unless your shooting and how many nerf bullets they have in the gun or toy clip…but again it’s a toy…and you said he is preschool so I’m sure he is just going to play…get empty milk jugs and 2 liter bottles set em up…you can put sand or dirt in the bottom and let him shoot the jugs or bottles that way it’s still a toy…but in our house we have full blown nerf gun fights with all 4 kids and 3 adults…we have fun

1 Like

Yes you’re overreacting!!! We’re avid hunters and had guns my daughter’s whole life. She had toy guns at 2-3 yrs old. At 3 yrs old she could tell you to stay away from a gun unless it is a toy gun. She was taught gun safety basically from birth. The earlier you teach them to respect firearms and gun safety…the better.

That’s an unusual gift for a teacher to give. If you’re against your son having guns that’s your choice as his parent. I’d talk to the teacher & tell them that you discourage violent play.

3 Likes

My boys we’re playing with nerf guns at age 1… we hunt, fish, and all that so it’s a personal choice

As a parent I get your concern I guess however the earlier you bring it up the longer you’ll have to teach them the safety and rules. I dont think you’re overreacting but I think you’re uneducated about guns and gun safety like many others.

My kids were allowed to play with them, they just weren’t allowed to point them at anyone.

Since birth my kids have learned gun safety and been around then. I feel like you are over reacting. It is just a toy and it is a teachable moment.

They should learn as soon as possible about guns.
My niece is 10 and I brought her grouse hunting, I was trying to explain to her that you NEVER go infront of the gun and just some basic gun safety and she cut me off and said in a very snotty attitude “I know I play video games”
I about snapped. Kids need to learn that guns in video games and real life are not the same

Great time to go over some gun safety basics and take him out back and give him a target. Its a nerf gun it wont hurt anything just tell him not to shoot anyone

My kids have tons of nerf guns :grimacing:

I don’t know if your in the states or Canada . But here in Canada the kids can’t even pretend to use guns using there hands at play time , never mind sending them home with a toy gun :flushed:

My kids play with nerf guns and theyre 2 and 1🤷

Yep. You are. My daughter has seen my shoot since she was very little. She understands and respects and knows to never ever touch a gun with out my present. She shot a bb gun.

From the beginning. Gun safety is taught from birth on a farm full of hunters. We have to dispatch predators, and hunt for meat. The kids know the difference between a nerf gun, a BB gun, and a “do not touch” gun. They learn to use them age appropriately, and respect them as the tools that they are.

My husband and I carry. Our 6 year old has been handling his own rifle since he was 4. (Completely monitored at all times). He has tons of nerf guns and I’m pretty sure because of the nerf guns he’s got amazing aim. We taught him even with nerf guns NEVER point it at people unless a nurf gun war has been agreed upon. Teaching gun safety comes in all forms. Take this as a chance to teach your kiddo responsibility with guns.

1 Like

My hubby and I are trained in firearms handling as a part of our occupation. We have had nerf guns long before having our kid. But when she was around 2.5 and wanted to play with it, we laid out ground rules for the nerf guns that replicated safe handling as well as we added that we don’t point them at unarmed people, pets, or faces whether there’s darts in them or not. The same rules apply for WATER GUNS.
Then we moved to target practice in the garage and then moved to the pellet gun in the yard at targets.
When it was my daughters 4th birthday I took her to the range with a friend who is a certified range safety officer and let her fire a small .22 with guidance.
It’s all about proper introduction and education.

TLDR: we taught firearm safety to our kid gradually since the age of 2.

What’s to be upset over? You set the stage as the parent how your child perceives a gun. You can decide that it’s a scary weapon and teach them that, or educate them on the diverse ways guns create purpose such as hunting and for protective reasons. A nerf gun is for fun, because for some reason there’s a certain level of amusement that comes from shooting the darts at one another, it doesn’t automatically mean you’re teaching them that it’s okay to shoot people with real guns. There’s hobbies such as paintball and air soft that are harmless and it’s all a matter of how you choose to introduce it.

1 Like

My son is 2 and has had nerf guns for a while now. We just put ground rules like no shooting at the face and if someone doesn’t want to play pow pow then don’t shoot them.

2 Likes

I would teach him as soon as he understands

My son is 5 years old and has a tote full of nerf guns given to him by a family friend!! He loves them. We have need gun wars. When we go out riding four wheelers or just riding trails, we bring guns and he shoots them with his daddys help. When we are home the guns are locked up and safe!

1 Like

Earlier the better. As a kid me and my siblings played with toy guns as early as we were able. Use the toy guns as the training for real ones in the future. My son is 15 months old and has one of his brother’s need guns and has already learned how to hold it nearly correctly. He is still too young to learn safety, but that’s why we give him a toy and not the real thing. He probably won’t touch a pellet gun until he is around 6 or so since that is around the age I learned.

As young as possible

My husband and I will be teaching our son about gun safety when he is old enough to understand the difference. He is 5 years old so we have awhile. So until then he isn’t allowed to play with any kind of gun type toys only kind we allow is water guns (we live on a lake) but no nurf guns or things like that. My husband and I are also carriers but all our guns are locked in cabinets and in a room our son knows he isn’t allowed in

My 3 year old is learning fun safety I wont let her use one untill shes 8 though

My 12 year old loves his nerf guns. We set up targets so he can get a better aim.

All 5 of my kids learned about guns by the age of 5 we started gun safety talks at age 4. We taught them the difference between a toy gun and a real gun and how it’s ok to play with toy guns like nerf guns and cap guns etc, but real guns can kill and we don’t play with real guns unless it’s with us and we give them permission. they are 15 years old, 12 almost 13 years old, identical twin special needs 7 year olds, and 4 years old. We are a pro gun house with many guns and my family own many guns and I think it’s very important for my kids to know proper gun safety especially when they are going to be around them and eventually shoot them with us when we go hunting, target shooting etc. so far every one of my children except for my 4 year old have shot hand guns, rifles, a ar15 and various other guns and own crossbows and regular bows. I would rather my kids know how to use a firearm safely than accidentally shoot them selves at a friends or family’s house because they thought it was a toy.

• disclaimer all our guns have trigger locks and muzzle locks and are stored unloaded with the magazines and extra ammo stored in a separate box for extra protection

Always, it should be a ever ending conversation about guns and safety.

As early as they understand

My 21 MONTH old has nerf guns lol it’s fake. Don’t think it’s a problem if you teach them safety when they are old enough to understand.

1 Like

I bought both my two year old son and my one year old daughter nerf guns for Christmas and as soon as they turn 4 and can fully comprehend what their daddy is telling them they will start to learn guns safety and rules then they will start being exposed to bb guns then eventually pellet rifles and then finally when they are around 8 they will get supervised with a shotgun we are a family that strongly believes in the 2nd amendment and my husband has taught this to my two bonus sons who are 14 and 12 and will teach it to to our 2 year old our 1 year old and our 3 month old when the time comes although some may not agree with me I wàs raised by a military family and I married a military man so don’t waste your time bashing my view because you won’t change my mind

Ummm, ideally never? Learning about guns is so American :roll_eyes:

1 Like

My 2 year old plays with nerf guns. The age on them is because before that, they may need help loading and pulling the piece back so it can be fired.

Earlier the better. I’m scared of things I’m not sure about. I like to be sure about things, especially if they can kill you. Medication, tools, guns, all need to be talked about and also learned about. Earlier the better to instill respect and responsibility instead of fear. Best of luck to you.

My daughters are 4 and 6 yo. They own nerf guns, husband and I also own one. We tell em to never hit on the face, that they’re only allowed to play with it outside with us.
They know their granpa owns a real gun cause he works at a jail, and they know they dont have to touch it, or get near one.
They know the difference between a toy an a gun.
Its never too early, you dont know how many accidents could of been prevented if parents talked about the subject since early ages…

We started letting our boys play with them at around 2. I don’t see anything wrong with it. They are also never too young to learn about gun safety. We taught our boys young so they know the difference between a real gun and a fake one.

My 3 year already knows because his dad plays fortnite :roll_eyes: He calls them powpows most of the time but knows theyre called guns.

Its a toy… Simply let the school know you would rather your child not play with toy guns.

No need to be upset. Just let them know. Its not a big deal

Yea, you’re overreacting.

1 Like

Take this opportunity to teach gun safety to the best of your ability and let it go.
You can’t control everything, you have to take it as it comes.
It is okay to be upset about it, but don’t let that baby know.
:heart:

You’re overreacting.

I think the earlier the better. When they grow up knowing about guns and gun safety they are not as curious about them. Being curious about them is dangerous!

I’d be more upset they only gave them to the boys what’s that all about :joy:

Need guns is where you start teaching gun safety, then once they are good you can move to a Bebe gun. My kids got Bebe guns when they were like 5ish, my son n daughter got .22 rifles at like 11ish; bows about the same time.

We are avid hunters and we have many types of guns in the home, so for us gun safety cannot be taught soon enough. My 8 month old can hold a small small nerf she will still be taught same things. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

We taught our daughter at about 3, and every time my husband gets his out to go to the range he brings her in the and talks to her. (None are loaded and always checked by him, then me and then him again before she can be near it ) he shows her all the parts, asks if she has questions and then we go over why children never touch them, go near them, and how they can cause an accident but not one that can be fixed(death) my husband was in the military for 12 years so he does this with her to take away the curiosity of a gun. The only loaded one we have is in a safe box up high in an area she knows nothing about. She is now 6 we have had her playing with nerf guns since she was 2🤷🏻‍♀️ in my opinion if you educate your child and take the curiosity away that’s the best thing to do, that way if they happen to be at someone else’s home and another child finds one your child knows how to react, and it won’t be out of curiosity. I have no shame going to a friends house and asking if they have guns and if they don’t mind 1. Locking the door to said room or 2. That the guns themselves are locked up. Anyone with a gun and children will never be offended by this question

2 Likes

My older kids got nerf guns when they were just over a year. That’s when me and their dad started teaching them gun safety. They are 10 and almost 9 and both have so many nerf guns plus have real ones that they know how to shoot. Teaching gun safety to children is extremely important even if you don’t have guns yourself.

2 Likes

Ummm :thinking: is this something that has been bothering you since Christmas or

2 Likes

I learned about real guns at 4.
Went hunting with my dad at 5.
I could take apart and rebuild it at 4. I knew when it was and wasn’t loaded.
My dad always kept them locked so I obviously wouldn’t play with them and he never let me play around with a loaded gun. But I went shooting at 4 with him.
And it’s the best lesson I do have in life especially having young kids.
We do have 2 guns now in the house and as of now my kids don’t even know about them (age3 and 1)
But come 5 for my daughter she will know and learn about them.

5 Likes

Maybe yall are all American so guns might actually be an issue but in the UK my kid has always played with nerf guns. Doesn’t mean I’m condoning real guns like you’ve all got to say
I think people coddle kids a bit to much sometimes as they understand more than you put to them

3 Likes

Guns are NOT toys. I live in the UK where we do not carry guns and even then I wouldn’t want my child playing with a toy gun. If you feel the same way I would return the toy and say thank you but no thank you :+1:

2 Likes

I’d think your are over reacting. He’s at the age of curiosity. Maybe since we own guns I look at it different, but he should be learning some key differences between fake and real, to ask questions or tell an adult if he finds one he’s unsure about, ect. If he never sees one he’ll never know. If god forbid he finds one, he needs to know how to handle the situation.
With toy ones, our son it learning we never point at people.

1 Like

Yeah I couldn’t handle being around humans this dense :joy:

3 Likes

My sons 4…half his nerf guns are not for his age lmao and they require batteries
Stop this. Theyre only nerf guns.

1 Like

Yes, you’re overreacting.

4 Likes

Whether or not a parent allows their children to play with toy guns is a personal decision. I dont feel like these make good gifts from anyone but the decision makers. I wouldn’t want anyone buying my children toy guns without my permission first. It seems especially weird that a SCHOOL would give these as gifts. They must know this could be controversial for some families. An educational game would have been more appropriate.

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: I’m so glad I’ve been born and raised around guns and so have my kids… Country Life​:heart:

2 Likes

why would a school send home nerf guns for preschoolers? as a teacher/educator they should be sending home age appropriate items

1 Like

I taught both my boys around 3-4. And both know not to touch mommy’s guns. They are for mommy to protect us.

Its not a gun its a toy🙄

1 Like

:eyes: :eyes: :eyes:

my goodness… all I can say is thank GOD I am Canadian :canada:

I am shocked a school is handing out toy guns tho — but clearly here in Canada we don’t have the same gun culture you Americans do - thank goodness!

I’m irish, guns aren’t an issue here unless you’re in a gang and that doesn’t tend to have any impact on normal people they usually just shoot other gang members. Our every day law enforcement don’t even carry them and we’ve never had a mass shooting in peace times so we let our kids play with toy guns. Our kids train for fire drills, not active shooters so playing with guns isn’t a big deal here, my daughter has spud guns, nerf guns and toy pistols all over the house but she knows its pretend and will hopefully never see a real one so its not an issue. I think the bigger issue is Americans attitude to guns

2 Likes

I personally think it’s weird a school would gift nerf guns but I also don’t necessarily think it’s offensive.

1 Like

I would be annoyed that my child received a toy weapon especially one much too old for him. And this is coming from someone who personally owns multiple guns. The teacher was out of line.