What age would you allow your daughter to dye her hair?

At what age would you allow your daughter to get her hair dyed? She is seven and a half and has pretty dark hair and wants it to be blonde-ish. Also, she’s wanted pink in it before, which we have tried, but it’s too dark to show, So bleaching some of it would help with that as well

49 Likes

Mine was 10 did the pink look aid and had to have it professionally taken out she is now 12 and finally has her hair back to it normal. So whatever you both decide it’s hair and grows back.

I think 7 is way to young. :woman_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

14 freshman in high school. She has a gray patch like her dad on the right side of her head and was really self conscious about it.

My daughter started asking at 3 and I decided what the why not when she was 5 and I confirmed it was not in violation of dress code and let her have purple hair

You can find dyes without harsh chemicals. Like manic panic. No chemical smell, washes out. I wouldn’t bleach just yet.

Teen. No younger than that. It looks trashy. I get teens do it bc 5gey are teens. But anyone else looks ridiculous.

4 Likes

Mine will be 10 in January. I won’t let her do anything semi or permanent to herself til she’s a teen. No ear piercings no hair dye other than that spray on stuff at Halloween lol. I have tons of piercings and tattoos but I also had to wait til I was a teen.

9 Likes

It’s not the easiest/healthiest thing to do for young hair… a good compromise may be to have a piece of her hair lightened and she can experiment with fun color that way.

I allowed it at nine, after it was wanted for about a year, wanted to be sure it wasn’t just a phase, something she would regret after a week. She loved it…and still requests it when we have the money to get it professionally done.

A small section of hair won’t hurt. Just keep it off the scalp. Perhaps her ends so u can trim it off when you’re ready

1 Like

My daughter was 8 and she is 11 now and does it on her own. She’s allowed to express herself with fun hair.

I think that is too young… I just find if they start doing things like this too young what will they do in their teens??

5 Likes

I’m the wrong one to ask lol I didn’t dye my hair until age 40 lol

Get her some hair wax! Color is temporary, and she can play around and mix/match without any commitment or real damage.

3 Likes

Mine is six and we tried this year. We did the temporary stuff but it wouldn’t hold and I won’t bleach mine so I won’t bleach hers. I feel like this pandemic really changed a lot of rules too. She also got her first cell phone (no service) this year when previously I had said definitely not.

My daughter has dark hair she used koolaid to dye it it gave her an little color

I was 13 or so when I got highlights.

1 Like

I take my daughter to the salon for coloring. I try to teach her to always take care of her soul…and to spend the money on herself without feeling ashamed. They can pull her color out with products that are gentler than store products. My daughter only got peekaboo highlights the first few times so she could get used to the process and sitting in the chair. And to learn how to care for the color. Her first all over color was her a color pull and teal…and a whole chunk of her hair wouldn’t take the color. Went back over next day with mermaid green.

I have a son so its a little different when it comes to hair but I’ve always let him decide how he wants it since he was old enough to think about his hair because kids really have no control over anything in their lives so I figured I’d let him have that since its just hair and it grows back. He’s 12 now but so far he’s had green hair, blue hair, peacock colors and design, really long hair, shaved head, etc.

1 Like

I let my 5 year old color her medium brown hair pink. (I did it for her obviously :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:) Do whatever you feel comfortable doing when you feel comfortable doing it.

as a hair stylist i never suggested hair color before high school. chemical services alter hair and it becomes a battle to stay up with products to keep the hair healthy after coloring.

3 Likes

Told my daughter she had wait till 16 (u.k) couldn’t argue much beyond that because of bleach and colour my hair regular, hoping she gets fed up sooner rather than later

11 we did very fine highlights very natural looking. No up keep. Her hair is a dark blonde. I let her use joico color conditioner. It lasts a couple of washes. We also use professional products to maintain healthy hair.

Let mine get highlights at 10

My mom had me wait till my teen yrs, i have a son so idk. But it is hair itll grow back.
The main reason to wait for an age is if theres an allergic reaction she needs to be able to describe it & yall both know the signs of when to wash it amd when shell probly need medical help.
Make sure the scalp is a few days of haveing not ben washd to protect her scalp. When i first bleachd my hair it was itchy, like hella itchy and nothin came from it. My older isster had a reaction a few yrs ago and her whole head swelld but shes ben bleachd her hair for yrs(shes born blonde but it comes in brown now)

I would never bleach my child’s entire head. It damages the hair and very hard to go back to natural. But if your gonna do it. I would only do baby highlights. I bet she would love it and it does not look weird when letting it grow out.

As a stylist I can tell you the hormones in the hair doesn’t settle until about 12-13. So it may not work

2 Likes

14, too harsh of chemicals for such young skin and hair.

2 Likes

My daughter is 3 and she’s got pretty light hair. She’s seen me dye my hair and wanted to try. I use arctic fox. She thought she was the so cool :joy: I think as long as the kids a good kid and isn’t completely destroying their hair it’s just hair though. Let them have fun and express themselves

Allow the creativity to flow so when she’s older she will already know what that’s like, plus its only hair it will grow out . Just use safe options.

2 Likes

My daughter will be 4 in December, but this summer I put “sun in” in her hair, and it lightened it up, and it did no damage to her hair.

Maybe do ombré just the bottom or a few strips. It’s just hair :woman_shrugging:t4:

My daughter used koolaid until her 12th birthday :joy: and Then I took her in and she got highlights! They do have a new washable color that works on dark hair and have multiple color options

I didn’t start coloring my hair til 17 I would wait and let her hair grow some more before then

Permanent hair dye is bad for children however, I’ve seen a lot of parents use really good hair dye that comes out over time and isnt bad for children’s hair. So to each their own really. :woman_shrugging:t3:

Buy the clip on hair

4 Likes

What has the world come to, let a kid be a kid she is way too young for fashion i mean i was 20 when i dye my hairs

2 Likes

I allowed my girls to dye their hair what ever color they choose in elementary school, by the time they hit middle school they no longer had any interest in coloring their hair, even now at 19 and 20 they do not color their hair wild colors like blue pink or green.

My younger girls are 12 and 9 and are allowed temporary dyes. I feel when they are around 14 to 15 then we can talk. Until then temporary only but they can have their hair cut as they wish.

My parents always told Me I could when I moved out so I rebelled and did it in 7th grade worse thing ever. I know My daughter won’t be dying her hair until she is grown enough to understand the damage it can/will cause…

I was always so jealous of my blonde sister being able to dye her hair with Easter egg coloring and mine never took any color without lightening! I remember in 4th grade my mom finally allowed me to get blue streaks in my hair and my older sister helped, it was so exciting!! I recommend some streaks or ends to start if you are worried about her not liking it/damaging her hair :heart:

Also, Arctic Fox Hair Color is awesome for fun colors! It’s super bright but not harsh or smelly or damaging!

My kid was in kindergarten when I let her have purple hair. But we didn’t bleach it. That’s way harsher. Hair wax, hair chalk, and there’s overtone meant for dark hair thats a conditioner that deposits color and doesn’t damage hair

As stylist for 18 yrs. It’s best to try wait till puberty solely being hormones are going out wack…& can effect the hair. Other than that to each their own :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My daughter is 9 and I’d let her do kool-aid as a dye because it washes out fast but not actual hair dye just yet.

No. She’s 7 for God sake

3 Likes

I was in 7th grade and my mom let me but it wasn’t anything drastic

7 way to young for that kids that age change there minds about stuff quick

2 Likes

I’ve been a stylist for 15 years. I would not recommend any kind of lightening or permanent dye. .t daughter is 10 and for about 2 years now I will let her once in a great while experiment with washable colors that last for a few months. Shes blonde (almost white) so we dont have to lighten first. If she wasnt and we had to lighten I would probably say maybe highlights as an 8th grade graduation present

1 Like

I dyed my daughter’s hair she was 8 she wanted red hair, bought the semi permanent and worked just fine and she loved it

I was 14 when I started dying mine im a redhead naturally and now im platinum blonde …I left my girls start at the age of 13 …

My daughter wanted to do blue highlights i was like ummmm sure except u have to bleach ur hair, and she was like ummm nah im good problem solved :slightly_smiling_face:

I personally would use semi permanent color only at that age.

9, she wanted blonde-ish hair. So she got it. We’re on her second round of blonde hair.

Again as previous stylists have said, semi’s like your vivid dyes are fun but wait for anything else. Don’t know where you’re from but most schools won’t allow bright colours (that’s just a policy here in the UK for most schools). So for Christmas why not treat her to a set of cheap blonde clip ins and a couple tubes of vivid, let her dye her own fun flashes of colour to wear on occasions?

Get her the clip on color strips. You aren’t dying her dark hair you would be bleaching her hair and it could turn green or orange . at 7 isn’t a good idea . She could develope a nasty reaction.
Be a parent ,not her friend . Tell her why no means no. And explain about all the risks including hair falling out.

3 Likes

My daughter has super dark brown hair. She asked to get colored streaks when she was in grade 2, so she was six. We did it, went to them salon and had them bleach out the sections to put in the color. Then in went manic panic permanent color, hot pink and a purple. It looked great, the bleach was hard on her hair, ended up with a lot of breakage and split ends, but she was one happy little girl. And its only hair, it will grow out, or can be cut if you both end up hating it.

In my World,any age,its a form of expression…just a rinse not dye…

Pick your battles carefully with girls especially. It’s hair in the grand scheme of life it’s not a big deal but it will bring your relationship closer . Explain it to her that you will do this bc it’s important to her but that there will be times where you know it’s something that could hurt her. Hair is temporary

I buy hair wax from Amazon. Comes in all colors.

1 Like

Personally, 14! But I would let her have the temporary hair dye if she wants to explore lol.

3 Likes

12, I am pretty open to dying hair though, that can always be fixed so I give a little more freedom with it.

Bleaching hair is such a commitment and will get spendy. Plus even when a pro does it there will be damage to her hair.

I’d compromise on some pink clip in pieces or something like that for a 7 year old.

3 Likes

Maybe jr. High or high school age depending on her maturity level

My mom waited until I was 14. My daughter (same age as yours) also wants colored hair :grin: nothing shows bc it’s dark too! The chalk and wax both don’t show :disappointed:

Whatever age is fine but maybe try some hair chalk?

16 in my house and my stylist agrees… don’t want to damage the beautiful hair of a child… however there are colored hair waxes and temporary sprays i let my kiddos use every once in a while

2 Likes

Whenever she wants. It’s just hair.

7 Likes

My daughter is 5, she asked for colored hair too, we used splat since it washes out. Lasted a week or so even in her dark hair.

4 Likes

Maybe do the tips of her hair. That way you can cut it off and you wouldn’t know a difference when she decides she doesn’t want color anymore

1 Like

Awww let her do it. Temporary dye won’t harm her hair.

I started dying my hair at the age of like 12/13. Do not do box colors I’ve regretted it ever sense. It destroys your hair. Get it professionally done but make sure you go to someone who knows what they are doing and use oplexa and a collagen from BowMar nutrition it’s a miracle worker!

We’ve done my daughter’s twice. From blond to hot pink.

My daughter is 12 an she got green high lights

When she gets old enough to pay for it herself

It’s just hair. Let them have some fun and discover who they are and what they like.

3 Likes

I let my daughter start with non-permanent color at 10, she is now 12 and can use permanent color. We go to Sally’s beauty supply, she picks out the color she wants (I try to stick with more natural colors) and then I color it for her… we’ve done highlights, a peekaboo, and all over color… it’s an amazing way to let her express herself!

I think I was 9. It’s just hair :woman_shrugging:t3:

It’s hair. It grows back. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

For bleaching I would wait till middle school
But it’s whatever you’re comfortable with as her mother

1 Like

Let her do a temporary color change. Nothing permanent until she can pay for it

My daughter was 8 when she wanted color. I was very hesitant about it but I also want her to express herself. Her hair is very dark as well so we compromised on her getting the ends of her hair colored, which we did have to bleach and then do color. It didn’t last long and she was very happy with it. Its just hair.

My son’s 3 and 5 and a half have put die in their hair.

My daughter was 10 when I started letting her do it( professionally) my son was also 10 when I did his hair out of the box🤷‍♀️

I teach my children they are naturally beautiful. They don’t need to be fake to be beautiful. If she decides she’s ugly & needs to be fake to be beautiful after she’s grown & left my home then she use do whatever she wants. I hope I’ve taught her to life herself the way she is before that.

1 Like

Anytime. But with bleach I would definitely take her to a professional.

I bleached the tips did pink on my 7 year olds hair.

My childs 4 & loves color we’ve had bluehair an purple… but its only temporary type die.

I personally would not bleach my child’s hair. Hair dye is fine, but hair lightening is pretty harsh on the hair. If her hair was already a light brown, maybe. Dark brown? That’s going to take a lot of bleaching to achieve blonde.

My mom was a hairdresser and her rule was we couldn’t have anything other than temporary dye until we got our first period.

3 Likes

My daughter has been asking to dye her hair since she was about 8, she is now 11 and I’m allowing her to dye the ends of her hair purple.

I’m a failure. I just colored my 6&7 year olds hair pink and purple for their birthdays

My personal opinion. Put some sun in in her hair to lighten it. Shes to young to be bleaching it. My daughter has dark hair and we did the end of it in pink but it wasnt permanent. And washed out in a few weeks.

My 5 year daughter wanted purple hair, so we did purple Kool aid dye in June and it went from purple to pink to rose gold and her hair still has a tint of rose gold in it.

4 Likes

I allowed my daughter to do a temporary color in her hair at age 6. It washed out after awhile but she loved the experience :slight_smile:

16, but I prays she never does lol

It’s up to the parent, but there isn’t really any age that’s too young if the child shows interest. It’s a fun way for them to express themselves and it’s harmless. If you’re hesitant to commit to dye, then try hair chalk.

My daughter was 8 the first time I let her. She has changed it many different colors since then now she is 10. I have always let my girls express their self freely and do as the please with their hair because really it’s just hair and it’s theirs to do as they please with it. It’s good to give them a choice.

1 Like

Idk about girls buuut my son was 10 when he first dyed his hair. I did it only after he asked for it for a whole yr … and only during summer (because of school policy)… he wanted it green !! Lol :joy: it looked really nice on him tho, I actually liked it. It suited him nicely. he wants to dye it green again this summer

2 Likes