What age would you allow your daughter to dye her hair?

When she is old enough to understand hair damage and make an informed decision about it.

3 Likes

Temporary or chalk until puberty. Actual dye can do a lot of damage before puberty. My 6 year old wants to dye her hair constantly but she knows that for actual box dye she has to wait until she’s about 13-15 depending on puberty hitting etc. but we use the spray you can get during Halloween and the chalks that are for kids and she’s content with it. It’s just safer for their hair and bodies to wait

2 Likes

Coming from a licensed cosmetologist of 10 years please do not do any bleaching to your 7.5 daughters hair.

5 Likes

when she’s able to pay for the new color, and pay for the correction if she’s not happy.

I waited until 19 to dye my hair, never felt like I wasn’t expressing myself and bleeding my hair 7 years ago still has an effect on my hair today. Until she understands what that actually means, nothing permanent.

My daughter was 6 the first time we bleached and put rainbow streaks in… its up to each individual parent. I encourage my children to be true to themselves. I taught my children to proudly say:
“MY BODY, MY CHOICE!”

2 Likes

Hmm I think I’d be okay with highlights around that age.

I have been doing my 15 year olds hait since she was 11 and in middle school but it is all up to u as a parent u know your child best

Color jamz has a pink that shows up really well on darker hair and no need to bleach. The pink will fade off eventually but the bleaching is irreversible. And damaging on young fine hair.

For children under 13, I’d highly recommend doing the temporary spray in dye that washes out.

What’s with the blonde is beautiful myth. Teach her to live herself the way she is.

6 Likes

I didn’t allow box dyes until she was 14 and I won’t allow bleach until 16 and even though I do my own at home, I told her she has to save her money and have it done properly at a salon.
I see nothing wrong with using dyes like manic panic on young ones, but harsh chemicals, I would wait.

My daughter was 7. She got it done for her birthday. She’s 11 now and has purple amethyst which she got for her birthday to

I got highlights in 8th grade, I think. Then after that I just started to get my hair done. I used neutral colors, but once I hit high school I dyed my hair whatever color I felt like during summers. During the school year I did a lot of vibrant red or burgundy. It’s just hair. :woman_shrugging:t4:

But when I say that, I don’t mean use just any dye, lol. Professional or manic panic is the way to go.

I bleached peek a boos on my 5 year old and colored them hot pink(she’s now 12), my 7 year old has highlights, I’m a licensed cosmetologist so I’m fully aware of the damage from bleaching but kids are healthy and their hair grows fast, I also use professional products to keep it soft and in good condition

I’d take her to a licensed cosmetologist to put some highlights in

2 Likes

A person is young for such a short time, let them be children while they still can.

idk about bleaching that young, but my daughter used koolaid packets to dye her brown hair red at the tips and it worked realllllyyy good

I’ve been coloring my daughters hair since kindergarten. I think it’s great to let them express themselves that way. But yes i would take her to a professional.

She is only 7.5 you should be the one to know when she should her hair. She still has baby hair and could damage her hair when she is older. I had a permanent when I was 7 and almost lost all of my hair. Thank God it grew back. Don’t be in such a hurry for her to grow up. They are kids for such a short time don’t rush it

Let my daughter get highlights this year. 7 years old

Try taking her to the salon and having those color hair extension strips they secure with a bead put in!

2 Likes

My mom started letting me pretty young. It was my head and my hair and my lessons to learn. I’ve had so many colors and I’m so thankful she let me get it out of my system when I was younger. I’m 25 now and getting some grays and I appreciate and love my natural hair so much now. :two_hearts:

When she makes enough money to upkeep being a blonde.

2 Likes

That is so hard on her hair, why not get her wigs instead quality wigs, then she can try wacky colors and styles with out ruining her natural hair.

I just do the tips of the hair cause its away from the scalp but also hair grows and u can cut it off

There is a product called Mofajang. It’s a temporary pomade that comes in an array of different colors. You just take a little bit and put it in your hair where ever you want. It washes off in the shower. You could maybe try that first before you try and bleach her hair. The colors are vibrant and show even on the darkest hair.

2 Likes

I let my 6yo get two peakaboos and an inch and a half away from scalp. She has dark hair too.

Mine is 9. She has dark long hair. We bleached the ends and than colored it pink. I looked at it like this, if she didnt like it or if it turned out bad we could cut it. And when she is tired of the color we will cut it off. ( her hair is past her mid back and we only did 2-3 inches)

I did my daughters. She had dark hair. We bleached it and added Walmart pink dye to it. It ended up going purple and then after 2/3 weeks she was sick of it we dyed it back her normal hair color

Personally if my daughter wanted her hair colored that young, id consult with a trusted Cosmologist to see what they would recommend. But I’m all for self expression at any age to an extent. I think its important to let them indulge in their interests as long as its safe.

1 Like

I used a temporary (10 wash) teal dye on my 10 year old son who has natural blonde hair. It lasted about 7 months… he loved it (thank goodness)… so just be aware some of those temporaries are not so temporary.

My daughters 8 I let her use it and 6 months later still cant get the temporary color out. Gonna have to pay like 300 dollars to get it out

I’ll allow it all as long as she’s willing to follow the rules abt it. You know, no overdying, if bleaching is gonna happen you wait the recommended time and since young definitely with guidance of a pro

I let my daughter get purple tape in hair extensions. She loved them and they lasted for a while! We bought them for $12 on Amazon.

If you don’t want to dye it because of the damage it will cause, how about getting hair extensions dying them to what she wants and clipping them in?

8 then again at 11 for this color

1 Like

This one she had at 9 almost 10

2 Likes

And this is her original hair color

1 Like

There are some conditioners that dye hair and are semi permanent and smell amazing and have random colors. I would try those at that age.

My daughter is 11 and we’ve only done the chalk style colors and some of the temporary sprays! She has dark brown hair and it’s shown up! She’s done green (her softball team color), blue and pink!

Amazon has different temp hair wax color.
Temporary Hair Wax Color Pink Natural Matte Hairstyle for Kids Men Women Hair Dye for Party Cosplay Date Halloween https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0876KRT59/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabt1_wnkTFbWWV2QNV

I started letting them do semi permanent hair colors at like 6ish ,they are non damaging and wash out fairly quick and it was only over summer break . I did let my oldest get the ends of her hair bleachedover the summer this year she was 9 at the time . I only let her do the ends because they will get cut off eventually. No on the scalp bleaching until she is older and can fully understand the risk it can cause to her hair follicles . It was like a balyage bleaching process so her hair looked more blonde than brown

4 year old with purple hair…so there’s that. Hard to tell in this pic, but the 8 year old has bleached tips she also dyed purple. And the 11 year old bleached then went this turquoise color. It’s just hair.

1 Like

Dang Im old… 15 at at the earliest.

My daughter got her hair dyed for the first time which was streaks of blue and purple when she was around 8. Now at 12 she’s dyed her hair a lot lol

4 Likes

He was 5 when he asked for a blue Mohawk…wanted to match his hearing aid.

2 Likes

I will make my daughter wait until she’s 13+ for hair dye. There are the temporary colors! I don’t think your daughter could achieve the color she wanted but :woman_shrugging:

And the 17 year old is half red/half blue right now.

My mom always let me express myself through my hair color . By the time I was 10 I had, had almost every color . I’m 24 and my hair has never been damaged. And I have bleached it well over 5 times

I dyed my daughter’s hair when she was in 4th grade. It’s just hair. They want to express themselves and it’s not a big deal anymore.

2 Likes

My daughter is 4 and her hair has been purple but I always get a semi permanent

Been dying my 8 year olds hair for a few years now lol :joy: and have done my 5 year olds.

I personally use the brand Arctic Fox to dye my hair. It is a pigmented conditioner - so its actually healthy for your hair. It works best on bleached/blonde hair, but some of the darker colors may work on her hair without bleaching. I personally wouldn’t bleach her hair that young. I use Arctic Fox on my 3 year old for some peek-a-boo type styles, not all over color.

As a cosmetology student And going through this now… DO NOT DO IT get the kids chalk hair stuff that washes out after a few days. But don’t bleach it and bleach the hair. Kills the hair cells, being she skid she’s gonna want it over and over, and then you’ll be killing a 7yr old hair . Let her grow up first and maybe try when shes older, you can even find some fake hair strings that tie into the hair and are easy removable.

4 Likes

My mother said I had to be 18. It was her hair until then. I waited until I was 28 to do high lights and after that I just went crazy with red, blonde and black

1 Like

Overtone has a pink for brown hair

If she is able to properly care for her hair on her own, then it would be considerable to let her get her hair dyed. If you do go ahead with it, please, PLEASE make sure to have it done professionally. At 7 years old, she would be ridiculed immensely if an at home hair dye went wrong!

I personally wasn’t allowed till I was over 18. I wish I never dyed mine now. It slowly ruins it Everytime you dye it.

1 Like

To me 7 is too young for bleach and permanent hair dye.

2 Likes

I was a licensed cosmetologist, please do not put bleach on her scalp. Her skin is way too sensitive and can easily get a chemical burn. I’m assuming she’s never colored her hair before so it should lighten with a permanent color but you’re not gonna get nice results. It will most likely be very brassy/orange. If you absolutely must lighten her hair please take her to a licensed professional for a few foils that won’t touch her scalp. They’ll have quality products and help you maintain the condition of her hair.

5 Likes

Summer she turned five and every summer since then.

Please do not bleach a 7 year olds hair. Bleach kills it. Let her be a kid stop trying to have her grow up quicker than she needs to.

Mine was 5 lol but I do hair so it was expected. But typically in the salon world we do not color until a child is 13+ at least not all over the head we have put in a few highlights here and there but you should keep the color and the chemicals off the child scalp. Their skin is very sensitive when they are children and they could have a bad reaction to the hair color.

Maybe try the little clips you can put in the hair that have bright colors. Ones she can swap out and change up often. My older sons hair got first dye last year. He wanted purple and it took 2 rounds of bleach to get it light enough to do the color. It took a lot if his bounce out and dried the curls. Even he just wants his regular hair for a bit.

2 Likes

I dyed my daughters hair at 3 :joy: She wanted pink hair. It was a temp dye so came out in 10 washes.

Bleach is SO damaging. It can kill hair. I’ve seen girls get their hair bleached and half falls out. Some have hair that’s just super brittle and dry. It’s so damaging. If she wants to lighten her hair, start slow. It’ll be a long process, but less damaging.

My hair is blonde so it was easy to dye all the colors. My mom didn’t care, but I have never bleached my hair because I’m terrified it will kill the healthy hair I have.

If I were you I would not play with bleach at home not recommended. Call a local salon and see how much it is to put in a few foils like seven to ten if she wants a few lighter pieces just aim them around her face in the top of her head. However doing a full bleach on a child that young can damage her scalp bleach is very strong.

I personally wouldn’t allow permanent color until they were a teenager and it was professionally done. My 5 year old loves the temporary spray color from Sallys Beauty and its quite fun.

Although I do have to say I recently saw a girl around 8 years old with lovely hair that her mom let her have highlighted with just a few pretty neutral strands. To each their own :tipping_hand_woman::slightly_smiling_face:

I started letting all of my kids, boys and girls, temporary color their hair as soon as they were able to sit still for it. As for bleaching… that’s really rough in the scalp and hair. I’d stick with clip in extensions, spray or chalk color until she’s a bit older, for safety’s sake.

Why not do extensions? Like the clip in ones? Or just bleach the tips and dye the ends, we did it in middle school. That way we could just cut off that inch or two that was dyed when we were done with it. My dad got me those colorful clip hair extensions as well, I started dying my hair once I turned 18.

I did my 8 year olds hair when she was 7 but just bleached the ends about 2 inches and put pink in it for the summer but just cuz she was going to get a trim in a couple of months before school started it was gojng to get cut off any way so it didnt bother us so we did it again this year

1 Like

Let her do it, she is trying to express her self!

2 Likes

I’d let her get highlight sessions until it reaches the fisted blonde ish. Plus it’ll look more natural. I’d honestly probably let mine and she 8. It’s just hair

1 Like

Hair extensions only and not a lot since she is young!

1 Like

Try wax colors for hair basically it’s a cream that is temporary and washes out after one wash but you just comb it in blow dry it and it stays all day until you wash it

I didn’t let my daughter die her hair until she was about 14 I just feel they are young and even at 14 I didn’t want her using permanent dye and if u bleach and do another colour u have to keep maintaining that colour every six weeks a would say or go back to a dark colour and I feel that’s a lot for a younger kids hair x

1 Like

Lol my daughter was two. But i am licensed. And the first time around i only used a direct dye and put a purple streak in. Now she has a blue and purple one and she loves them!

It’s just hair. I would let her but take her to a professional

I wouldn’t be bleaching a 7 year olds hair :grimacing: maybe try some clip in extensions

1 Like

I wouldnt bleach my daughters hair until she is alot older.
Hair is so fine and delicate when so young, its not just hair its her scalp.
Mine is 10. She hair is pretty light. When she was 5 she wanted pink hair so I used manic panic dye. Her hair was pretty blonde then and it worked really well.
As shes older its getting darker. She wanted pink and purple so over lock down I did it again. I left it on for 3 hours, covered her head in tin foil to get some heat in it and covered the whole thing in a shower cap. With that type of hair dye the longer you leave it on the better it is. Also heat helps so tin foil and get it all wrapped up/hair dryers help. With her hair being darker leave it as long as possible. It will be a darker shade but she should be able to tell. When choosing a colour so for more vibrant so barbie pink over light pink.

If you decide to bleach I would just do the bottom of her hair. Just enough that she won’t mind it chopped off if things go wrong and then it’s not on her skin either

Do it dont be a susan

if they answer back,argue with you take tantrums throw shit kick stuff around dont eat until there ready i would say yes to the hair dye aint going to make a world of difference to their character

My oldest is 11 now. Been doing her hair since she was 5.

2 Likes

Have fun mama try both of u do hair dying there are washables. And some that u can diy woth natural stuff like koolaid😏

Use the hair chalk and then she could see what it looks like she could keep changing the colours

get it done in hairdressers . Do highlights first . I started at 13 but its when she feels mature enough

It’s just hair and it’s her hair, so if my daughter asked to color it I would at any age, as long as she seemed to be able to fully understand what she is asking.

She also would need to understand how long it will take/that a professional will have to do it (if it involved lightening because that can be really tricky).

But I subscribe to the notion of her body, her choice (within reason.) Especially when it comes to things that are not permanent.

I wouldn’t bleach at that age but other colours would work OK. But bleach will damage the hair alot. Bleaching my dark hair took alot to get it back in good condition. Try going for red and gradually get lighter. Bright colours like pink are also only temp and come out pretty fast. Blonde upkeep is very hard because of dark roots come back very fast

not till 16 or has a job to pay for it by herself for my daughter, my daughter has blonde hair

My daughter was 7 it’s just hair .I had to bleach her hair because of also being dark…Make nice memories with your daughter she is only young once. If the hair dye doesn’t work out for you she will see at least you tried.

:joy: i was in high school the first time I was allowed to dye it

My 4 year old girl has blue green hair, my 6 year old girl have pink red, my 11 year old have green and my 13 year old has red… we use color jamz. And I would be better for her hair to use a lightener verses bleach… as far as age goes, it’s just color on hair… it’s an easy fix if she doesn’t like it. Let her express herself and be happy

Temporary or the natural kids, sure. Permanent or bleaching? Not happening until teens. They don’t understand the complete damage it does to it.

1 Like

I would never bleach a child’s hair.
I had thick, beautiful long hair. I started dying it at 12. I’m 29 now and there’s barely anything left. Please don’t let your daughter do this at this age.

My daughter will be lucky if I allow it at 17. Truthfully, these kids have the rest of their lives to worry about things like hair color, makeup and nails. No need for any of it until they are adults.

66 Likes

Only because of the covid lockdowns did I let my youngest, my 12 yr old color her hair and shave one side of her hair. We needed the comic relief, lol! It was fun, and she loves it! Bleach is still a big no no with me if they have not gone through puberty. It can really damage hair so…my rule on bleach is 16.

1 Like

As a stylist… I have an 8 year old who i allowed to have a few “fun color” pieces. I did not have to bleach her. With that said, I tell parents, it’s how comfortable you are with it. Bleach can be very damaging BUT if done buy a professional, it can be controlled and not as harmful. I say let kids be kids. There are worse things they could be doing.

41 Likes
  1. I was 12 when I started dying my hair. I made some crazy choices, but my friends who had stricter parents didn’t get to until they were grown and now they’re going crazy with their hair colors all the time. I say let them experiment young so they don’t have to wait and find out when they’re grown
5 Likes

Once she is grown, out of the house and has her own money, it would be up to her. However, i would tell her reasons not to do it. She gets compliments weekly on her red hair. People pay money to have her hair color. God gave it to her for free. Lol

17 Likes

My moms hairdresser set the rules for my kids. No overall dye until 12-13. You could always bleach like 2-3 inches of the bottom of her hair and then dye it pink. And my motto is “its hair and it grows back”. I have shaved my daughters head twice in the past 6-8 months.

13 Likes