What age would you allow your daughter to dye her hair?

Her body. No bleach til she’s 16. I’ve dyed her hair twice so far. Her hair is so dark that nothing will take real well til she bleaches it. She’s 12 now so unless she really keeps bugging me about it it will be 16 when she can bleach. Only because of the damage it can cause at an early age. But honestly if she asked me now I would most likely let her but she doesn’t yet know how to 100% take care of her hair now so she would have to perfect that first.

8 Likes

It’s just hair. It will grow out. Just do what you can to make sure it’s done right if you let her. A nice haircut with a funky color is better than burnt hair that breaks off.

5 Likes

I have been dyeing my children’s hair since they were very young. My son when he was 2, my daughter’s started wanting hair color around 10. It’s just hair, it grows back and if you use the right stuff it doesn’t damage at all.

9 Likes

I think that hair dying is a safe fun way to express herself but they have safe alternatives instead of bleaching because it will dry out her hair

7 Likes

For my daughters 10th birthday, covid really got her depressed so thay was my way of letting her still have something she could do and be excited for!!! We did ombre of blue, purple, and pink! Had to lighten it but took her to a professional and her hair isn’t damaged. Looks great after most color coming out and pink remains

7 Likes

My almost 12 year gets her hair colored once in every great while. I trust my hairdresser and I believe in my kid has a right to express herself. She wears age appropriate clothing and gets good grades and is an all around good kid. It’s only hair.

7 Likes

With the pandemic going on I say go for it. When you’re in school it’s against the guidelines to dye your hair an unnatural color & then when you’re an adult most professions won’t allow it either. Her hair will grow back. My friends 7 year old daughter has blonde to bright pink right now. My 11 year Son asked if it was ok to dye his bangs red & I said why not. I just want them to have some type of happiness. Lol.

17 Likes

It’s just hair🤷‍♀️ I let my kids do what they want with their hair as early as they have an opinion about it. They have little choice in most things so why fight such a small issue?

22 Likes

Hair is something that comes and goes. I say if the kid wants to express themselves with pink hair let them. No one gets hurt and they have fun.

4 Likes

My daughter donated her hair three times by the time she was 10 years old - all her heart work :heart::raised_hands:
After her last donation, she wanted to add some colour - so we went with purple and aqua. She loved it, and it was semi permanent so washed out (just in case she didn’t! Lol).
She now has blonde highlights, as that was what she wanted and loves to express herself.

Isn’t it funny that some of these other parents would judge my daughter by her coloured hair; and myself, as her mother, for allowing it?! :thinking:
All the while, not knowing that she has also used almost 40 inches of her hair to give to others :kissing_heart::raised_hands:
Stop judging other people :shushing_face:

41 Likes

My daughter was about 10 when we started putting temporary (washes out) dye in her hair. She was 12 when we put highlights. She was 14 when we bleached her whole head.

Have you thought about getting some colored hair extensions that clip in her hair?

6 Likes

As a 34 year old who was never allowed to do anything to my hair my entire childhood, I highly recommend letting her choose. It’s her body. Let her make mistakes and have to learn from them. It’ll help her later in life!

4 Likes

At the age of 7 no. In fact, she never asked at that age. I did allow her to bleach her hair in her freshman year. She had black hair and wanted it blonde. Hair grows back, you can cut if off if she doesn’t like it. Now my daughter keeps her hair black. She has talked about dying the ends a pink or blue. She is an adult so it’s up to her.

1 Like

When my kids were 7 ish. My oldest is now almost 13. They could add fun colors. Hair grows back. Why not have fun with it.

4 Likes

When my grandson was in elementary an up as long as he did well in school he was allowed to cut his hair any way he wanted an color it any color, he did this every year when school got out for the summer an by the time school started it was time for a cut an most of the color was gone . He loved it an we looked forward to the colors an how it changed over the summers an years

2 Likes

When they see their first grey hair. There are needs and wants. What will they ask for next? Where is the input from hair dressers out there? A scientific view. My hair person is particular about the shampoo I use. They can strip your hair. Why not teach pride and security in your own beauty in who you are. My daughter was in her late teen when she got highlights. She worked. She paid for it. She already had beautiful Auburn hair. It was a shame to hide it.

6 Likes

Yikes I wouldn’t damage her hair that young. Just get her the demi permanent color or some pretty clip in extensions

9 Likes

I’ve been doing hair for over 25 years. My daughter was maybe 6 got a bleached chunk and fun colors. By 8 she was getting highlights. My boys were probably 7 & 11 when they wanted to try something with color. My thought has always been, its hair it grows back and there are worse things they could be doing. They are only kids for a short time. If done right they wont have damaged hair. And they can learn the importance of taking care of it.

They have color waxes that you can use. It’s literally just a wax that you can wash right out. No damage. I bought them for my twins. They do take a bit of getting used to though.

1 Like

Professional hairstylist for 16 years BOY AND GIRL MOM for almost 9! NEVER

10 Likes

I am a hairdresser and my daughter is 18 and I still won’t do it because I refuse to jack up beautiful hair and make it a mess. Stay young and beautiful young girls

3 Likes

Do not start bleaching that baby’s hair! 12 for real hair color decisions. A streak of pink, whatever. But if she wants to actually color her hair I’d definitely wait.

2 Likes

My daughter is 8. He hair has been blue, green, purple and pink. She has blonde hair so we didn’t need to bleach. I started dying my hair around 11. It’s hair, it’s going to grow back!

If your looking to lighten it without bleach try sun in, or lemons! And play outside (or alot of time under the hair dryer)

1 Like

Koolaid does Wonders and it’s completely undamaging. My daughter has really dark hair and we colored her tips with red koolaid and lasted forever, really it eventually washed out but it didn’t damage her hair at all

2 Likes

I guess I’m a mean mom. I didn’t let my kids color their hair until they were old enough to pay for it.

2 Likes

My daughter is 5 and just got her tips dyed blue. Only letting her get ends dyed, never full head and with semi permanent dye

3 Likes

My mom let me color my hair around 14, but I was only allowed to use the Loving Care that washed out in a few shampoos. I didn’t start using permanent color until I was 18 and bought it myself. I’d probably do the same as my mom did with me. Do they even still sell Loving Care? Lol

1 Like

Please go to a professional to have it done. Box dyes and splat will ruin her hair

3 Likes

bleach will damage her hair, so maybe better to consider a temporary hair extension, or buy the hair chalk

2 Likes

I took my daughter to the hair salon and let her do the tips of her hair blue when she was 14. She said it was to show her individuality. They bleached the ends and it lasted a long time. Also once the blue wore out she still had the highlights of the bleaching. I say let them do it.

I’ve allowed my daughter to dye her hair starting at 8 but we only do the ends to where we can cut it if it damages her hair or she doesn’t want it anymore & we use the semi permanent dye

1 Like

18… but that’s my opinion…I have a 9yr old and we have tons of color spray and hair gel that doesn’t damage her hair and washes right out!!
Also keep in mind that little girls love to get made-up with makeup and nails…but also will change their minds quickly!!

My daughter was allowed to at 11. She didn’t handle it well, and keeps changing her mind about it. So she has been told now she has to wait until she is older before we will allow her to try again. All kids are different, and all parenting styles are different. Up to you and her.

2 Likes

My brunette daughter got to bleach and color her ends (about 3-4inches) when she was 7. At 11 got started bleaching and coloring all of it. In our house, hair is fun. My mom went to barber school so we always have a profesional helping out.

1 Like

If your questioning dye look into hair chalk works on super dark hair. But my soon was 8 it’s just hair can always cut it out especially with a boy don’t know my thoughts if I had girls

I let my girls dip their hair in kool-aid. Makes fun colors on the tips. Compromise. They have done this during the past two summers, starting at 6. 🤷

1 Like

I have so many friends whose parents killed their hair for life from childhood from perms, constant dying, so many harsh chemicals, I may e wouldn’t do a full dye job on a 7 year old, but maybe some highlights to lighten her hair and then you can add the color to those strands. In the end it’s your child and your choice, but I wouldn’t like my dye until closer to middle school.

1 Like

My daughter had a lot of fun with her watercolor palette but her hair was very light brown so it did show through- and washed right out.

I allowed my daughter (who is now 18 :sob:) do whatever she wanted with her hair over the years. It was short and spikey it was long and 1/2 shaves on one side (which she bleached out and would have designs put in it with color. She had her ends bleached out and magenta put in it. She bleached the whole front section of her hari at one point and had it purple. She then let all the color grow out to be 100% natural and the let it grow to half way down her back and decided one day she wanted to donate it, told us she was going for a hair cut and came home with it shaved. Its just hair. It will grow back, she was able to express herself and as sometimes it was kind of expensive we have a family member who is a cosmetologist and that helped us save a TON of money!

I wasn’t allowed to do anything with my hair till I was 14

1 Like

My oldest 2 have had a rainbow of colors since they were little, I am a licensed hair dresser with crazy hair 90% of the time. They get to be creative and I get to have fun with them and see their faces light up.

I think that colors are adorable if they are done right!! If her hair is real dark I’m afraid you would regret hi lights but to bleach a small piece so you can add color is no big deal. You can always color over the bleach when she gets tired of it :slight_smile: Bottom line is you are the mama so do what you want, it’s only hair :heart:

Due to the insanity of this year I have allowed my 7 year old daughter to go pink and purple this year, but always with a temporary dye. I won’t let her do anything permanent since she has the most amazing natural color ( a mix of light, strawberry and dark blonde).

Depends on the child ,my daughter did pageant’s,at 4 we was putting highlights in her long hair …she went completely blonde at 12,she took great care of her hair …condition .condition,condition

I would say that it’s ok to make those decisions on an individual basis. I’ll mom my kids the best way I know how and we will make those decisions together when it feels right to us.

1 Like
  1. These girls need to be taught by their moms to love themselves AS THEY ARE and not always be trying to change something. 7 is waayyy too young to put their hair through permanent damage of bleach!!
1 Like

I dyed my daughters hair when she was 9 . She’s 13 now . Bleach it so she could do fun colors like mom. It’s hair it will grow back. Let them find what they like. My opinion girls just wanna have fun :grinning:

I just allowed my 10 year old to dye her hair but we just went a shade darker I wouldn’t allow her to bleach it until she’s way older (coming from somebody has completely destroyed her hair repeatedly with bleach)

1 Like

my mom is a hairdresser so i’ve always been open to these kinds of things, i think 10. but, after that, they should have the freedom to do whatever they choose. if my precious strawberry blonde baby wants to go black, then it is what it is :grimacing: i will tell them to REALLY THINK, butttttt they get to look back and cringe in a few years. that’s just one of those parenting things you keep to yourself so that they can learn from their mistakes in my opinion. it won’t hurt anything.

It’s totally up to you and screw what other people think. I made a deal with my daughter that if she kept doing well in school and exceeded her goals we would add some bright colors in her hair. Her birthday was in May and when we realized she wasn’t going to have a birthday party I said screw it and we colored her hair with an at home kit. It was adorable, I was jealous and she felt amazing. She’s 8. It’s a temporary thing that makes them feel more like an individual. Your her mom, do what you think is best for the both of you.

I let my 2 yr old do kool aid colors in her hair. :relaxed: Our sitter, her aunty, does it at her house occasionally. My girls hair is very light blonde so the colors show well. She absolutely loves it. She loves my pink hair too. :joy:

It’s hair let her be creative, it grows back. It is not like she is asking for a tattoo.

Hairstylist here, can’t remember how old my daughter was the first time I colored it. That said, hair grows back, ultimately your choice.

I’m so glad others are going through this aswell at the minute. If professional could give me advise that would be great my daughter wants bright pink hair under her hair and 2 bits at the fringe. I do my own hair and have done for years , but while calling hairdressers yesterday I was called a bad mum for even trying to let her get it done . She is 10 and shes having a hard time at school , she has anxiety and I feel like if it will.hell her feel better why no ? :pensive:

Hair is hair. It’ll grow out. There will come a time where fun colors will restrain her from advancement in many realms of life and careers. If you are comfortable, then you’ll be so happy to see her smiling from ear to ear.

You can buy sections of hair that will clip in & no one can see the clip. I would try that for a while before I would let 7 year old bleach her hair. I was 16 and didn’t have permission from my Mom. It can be a disaster with her hair being very dark.

I color my daughters hair. We’ve been coloring it since she was 6 and wanted hair like me

My daughter is 13 and I bleached her hair this summer. If you out argon oil and color charm in it her hair should be fine. Thats what I do to mine and my daughters hair.

My daughter did her ends pink when she was 6. She has natural dark brown hair. She loved it. We cut all the colored part off before she started school the following year. No biggie. Hair grows back. Let her express herself.

Whatever age she wanted to.
My parents didn’t let me until I was 14, but they told me later that honestly they regretted restricting me on something as silly as my own hair. I HATED my hair. I ended up shaving my head as an adult.
Had I been able to do what I wanted with my own hair as a kid, I might not have resented it as much.
If my kids want to do their hair, let them. Its their hair. There may be a time as adults that they can’t have fun hair colors because of their jobs, let them play with it while they can.

1 Like

Were is the parenting ? What is wrong with you Mothers out there 7and a half is way to young to bleach their Hair let them be children first they crow up fast enough so give them guidance and normalcy that’s your job as Parents .

1 Like

I let my daughter put pink in her hair every October since she was 10. She does it for breast cancer awareness so I couldn’t say no. But it washes out in about a month.

My daughter was 7 when we first rid hers, but no bleach until after puberty. I read that it can stunt hair growth and cause broken, uneven hair for life. After puberty let her go wild and have fun while she’s young. Mine is 15 now and has 1/2 lime green and 1/2 tealblue

We started at 5…no bleach, but I allow colors…whatever cut they want. It all grows back and they’re finding their style. My youngest has had bright blue hair, pink, purple, and is currently rocking a faux hawk that looks amazing on her.

Its 2020 and shes young. Let her dye her hair, cut it off or grow it out. Hair is hair and shes 7. Let her be creative. Make sure you go to a professional or at least know what your doing so her hair isnt damaged but otherwise why not? Not only will she think you’re a cool mom but it could be a bonding thing for you guys.

My 3 year old loves her hair pink we use arctic fox color and it washes out. We have colored my other daughters hair since 1st grade. They love it, it’s fun and not permanent.

Started dying my daughters hair at like 7. It’s just hair and it grows back.

1 Like

I don’t really think there’s an “appropriate age” in my opinion. I’ve always let my kids experiment with their hair. My 6 year old currently has red tips, my 10 year old has blue hair and my daughter who is 4 just asked for purple in her hair.

I let my daughter do her hair as soon as she asked. She did all sorts of funky colors and styles. And now at the age of 9 she’s bored of it all and just wants to be natural. :woman_shrugging: I’d say just let hey go for it. It grows back

They do have organic hair dye that is safe for kids. I think it’s called Unicorn Dye or something like that.

All for letting my child express herself. However i dont want all those harsh ingredients in her hair -shes 9- but in the summer i do let her do the koolaide dye on her hair.

My daughter was 17 just graduated high school and I helped her dye her hair red 17 not 7 now she wants to do it blue :blue_heart: but she’s 19 not 7…my other daughter bleached her hair on the bottom under her dark hair for the first time in her life she’s 30 not 7

Bruh if you are comfortable then let her go for it… kids dont have a whole bunch of control so I always let mine do whatever with their hair… it’s a small thing… but to them its them getting to make decisions in a life where everyone is making all of their decisions for them…
I would however make sure you take her to a professional for lightening

When she was 7, we dyed her hair pink. By 9, she was over it and never wants to do it again.

I still never bleached my hair or had any fun colors but fun colors should be part of life it’s nice to express yourself

From my own experience growing up, once they can manage washing and drying without nagging them to. Don’t let her get to an age when she can go out and buy box bleach kits. If she wants it that bad, take her to hairdressers and get some foils as highlights first. If she can look after that, maybe balayage, I wouldn’t allow all over bleach because maintenance is too much with roots. That’s a commitment. Balayage can be left much longer between but still takes fun colours as direct dye semi permanent without damage.

For me “it’s just hair” and will grow back. But rest assured no matter what you do you will be raked over the coals and called a bad mom. So take suggestions then do what ever feels right to you… if bleaching I do suggest a professional

I let my kids do what they want with their hair. I say hair grows back. I will not do Piercings. My daughter and son have their ears done and that’s it.

I say she’s too young especially using dye on her hair at that age. But if you are they sell the washable dyes for the hair I think it’s semi color

I let my sister bleach a small section towards the front of my girls’ hair and make it hot pink the one year. It came out at the water park the next day (chlorine + hot pink temporary hair dye= no more pink) and we redid it the next day. They were 7 and 9. I’ll let them dye their hair maybe for highlights only if they asked for it starting at 14-15

My son was 7 when i let him have his hair blue!! Had to bleach it. But he was so happy

In 6th grade my mom had me grow out my bangs…by senior year I had hair to my hips. She didn’t let me cut layers or anything in it until I turned 18 right before graduation. At that time I had layers cut and it looked 10xbetter. I dyed it for the 1st time a year later. I have a 6 year old daughter and if she ever wants color there is temporary that works without bleach so I say let them. I would not bleach her hair though.

I was 12 when I started to color my blonde hair and my daughter was 12 when I let her for the first time :woman_shrugging:t2: it’s hair. It’ll grow back

It’s just hair. It will grow back. My daughter is 12 she has gotten highlights last year during school and again this year. I allowed semi-permanent pink and blues. She needs a safe way to express herself that doesn’t involve holes in her body. She isn’t getting into trouble. So, I think its not a big deal.

I never set an age. I always saw hair as one of the little things. There’s more important things to be concerned about than your kids hair color.

1 Like

I haven’t read any of the prior messages, but wanted to insert my opinion. Teach her how to love herself (her hair is part of that) the way she is then when she’s older. Let her make the decision. Pink or other temporary colors can be ‘tried’ around holidays when there’s no school that way if she’s doesn’t like it it will wash out rather quickly. Idk I’m 29 and have never died my hair. So really it’s to each their own.

If you’re hesitant, you can always say, let’s wait until…such n such time, her 8th bday, a special occasion, etc, something a few months away. If at that time she still wants to do it, I would say let her. With guidance and a professional preferably. Pick your battles. Hair is just hair. It will grow out or it can be cut. You can also limit how much is done. Only the under hair, only a couple stripes, something like that, until she is older.

We did hair chalk at like 3 or 4 years old. A couple color streaks at 8 yrs old. … i don’t agree with “they can do it @ 18+” because then a lot of job still won’t allow unnatural hair colors and then they still can’t have the hair they want. When they are kids /teens they don’t have to conform to the work society or the “norms” so i say let them have fun with it while they don’t have jobs and such holding them back.

I was 13 when I went from dark blonde (almost light brown) to bleach blonde. I never got to do any crazy colors (then again I never asked too). My daughter we have said highlights in middle school by a professional is she asks but no full color changes until older

My 9year old granddaughter has just started asking for colour dye on her hair. My daughter has told her they will consider it for a 10th birthday treat. X

I bleached my hair starting 16 and ever since have played w colours. Today it’s been so damaged due to all that. I would try not to promote bleaching personally.

We didn’t let our daughter get real dye in her hair until she was 12. We have just used markers and kool aid and hair chalk with our youngest daughter up to this point. She is 6

I told her when she was 18 she could dye her hair. She is 19 and just put some highlight and low lights in for the first time. They look beautiful and natural and she loves it. She is glad she waited to be a bit older before she did it.

1 Like

My daughters started dying hair at 14 , they played with makeup sense they were 10 , because knowing your face and being good at makeup takes years not months I think the sooner they start playing around with it the better they will be at it , hair dye start slow with semi permanent, or color sprays , let them have fun being a girl

I wasn’t allowed to have anything pierced or dye anything until I was 18 so I let both my daughters dye their hair at 8. I believe kids should be allowed to express themselves within reason

I’ve let my daughter’s decide (within reason) about hairstyles since they were about 5 they wanted it cut, I cut it. They wanted a mohawk, okay! They wanted shaved sides and short pixie style, sure thing. My oldest is 14 and has shaved her head multiple times and grown it out again. It literally grows back 🤷🤣
My girls are 14, 12, 7 & 4, the oldest two have been playing around with colors for years and the youngest two have got to play around with bits of color in their blonde hair. This past summer is the first time I let my 7 year old color all of her hair purple. I’ll let them be kids and let them have a little fun while they can… It’s not always an option as an adult with a career.

I had to wait till I was 13, but recently when I colored my hair purple the husband gave permission to do the bottom 2inches of our daughters. She was super excited. She has dark hair so you can barely notice

It’s just hair. It will grow back. Of all the things the kids could be wanting hair dye is not one I personally stress over.

1 Like

Rather go with the iron-on colors, reason being you will regret it when your child starts getting Grey from an early age due to beaching and other dyes.

We died my daughters for her 11th bday. She wants like blue hair. Since it’s the middle of the pandemic that didn’t happen but has soon as it’s over and she’s back in school we will let her. Hair is one of the biggest ways kids can express them selves and it grows out it’s not permanent