What are some remedies for an acid reflux flare up?

I suck on spearmint candies. It helps the best. Meds don’t work for me and I don’t want to take pills unless there’s no other option. Tums nope, rolaids nope, etc… Spearmints are the only thing that takes acid reflux away for me. That and I elevated the head of my mattress six inches so I don’t get acid in my throat while I’m sleeping ever again. And I don’t eat for three hours before I lay down to sleep. I had hoped getting my gallbladder out would help but nope. Still an issue. Pay attention to which foods cause a flare up and eliminate them from you diet. Good luck!

I suffer from this as well. Dairy is a temporary cure, for me. Also, sleep with your pillow elevated. I just woke up the other day from acid coming up throat. It’s so disgusting. That day I had 2 pills, instead of my normal 1, and like 15 times (3 at a time).

2 Likes

I took most of these remedies mentioned but in the end I went for a scope and it turned out I had hiatus hernia.I have to watch what I eat .I take omeprazole but it doesn’t work.You just have to figure what food triggers it.

My husband had the same issue and it turned out that he had GERD and not just acid reflux. We went to the ER twice because he thought he was having heart attacks. Talk to your gastroenterologist. You may benefit from an endoscopy to see what’s going on. He was prescribed Dexilant and it’s the only medication that has worked. Best of luck to you. Hang in there!!

I’ve just started a diet to cut out foods that are bad for Acid reflux. Main ones on the list for me that triggers it are coffee and dairy products.

1 Like

I have suffwred since i had my gallbladder out. I take pepcid or pepcid complete(it works fast for sudden attacks) and I lay on my left side at night. I try to stay away from foods that will cause a flare up ( for me it’s dairy, red meat, greasey foods and gluten, but I don’t have a gallbladder so it’s what you eat and it’s a trial and error) but even then I still get it and pepcid works well and its not that expensive.

Omg
If you can manage your anxiety and stress it’ll get better
I’ve done Prilosec, tums, elevating my head it’s SOOOO exhausting feeling like shit all the time
I finally broke down and took 1/2 a Xanax and my stomach ache almost instantly went away! It’s underlying anxiety girl! It blows! I give up lol

I feel your pain

3 Likes

Sleep apnea can cause these symptoms to be bad! May consider getting tested if any possibility of it. Milk, caffeine & peppermint are terrible for it because it increases acid production per a gasto MD i work with

1 Like

In the old days , a half glass of water , add a good teaspoon of baking soda , chug it down. Your reflux will go away.

10 Likes

I was getting really bad acid reflux, I tried stopping drinking coffee and it went away. Haven’t had coffee again and also haven’t had acid reflux again in over a year a half.

When I get acid reflux really bad and my throat is on fire, I take a pepcid and eat ice cream. The ice cream really helps the burning , been dealing with this for over 5 years.

1 Like

Nexum helped me and also peppermint oil like 5 drops and it would instantly help. Mine would make me throw up too so my doctor gave me zofran life saver!!!

A bland diet… avoid anything with high acidity. No coffee. No soda.

1 Like

My mom used to have HORRIBLE acid reflux. She started taking a muscle relaxer before and it completely stopped.

Baking soda and water I make mine strong. I have acid reflux, ulcers, and BE and baking soda water is instant relief.

The only thing that works for me is a fountain Coke!

1 Like

What prescriptions are you taking? It took awhile for my doctor to find the right combination for me but eventually it worked. I take Pantropolze (40 mg, twice a day) and Carafate (up to 4 times a day).

I heard mustard helps. So does vinegar. I take pepcid and drink really chocolatey milk and it seems to help.

2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar gives relief almost immediately. hard to believe but it really works

That little blue and yellow $.25 double bubble bubble gum. Drink some milk and chew a piece of this gum until you can’t handle it anymore. Something in the gum that you swallow with your saliva neutralizes it. I swear by it.

1 Like

I’ve heard milk helps but because I’m lactose intolerant I drink hot water when my omeprazole isn’t enough to help

My doctor suggested I only eat fruit in the morning and then have my regular meals after. It really helped and worked for me. I also was prescribed tecta and that helped too.

I find that drinking water helps,make sure you are up on 2 pillows to keep acid in stomach.When it does come up into my throat at night I eat a yogurt

Baking soda water, pickle juice, or tablespoon of mustard. The acidity will help the acid.

Sounds like you need a gallbladder check. Start on Nexium to heal your throat from the burning. Then got to omeprazole and if you have an attack and milk makes it worse at night my go to is get a small glass of water get in your fridge take a tablespoon of your baking soda stir in the water and drink quick. Im telling you in 2minutes you will feel such a tremendous release and comfort their is nothing like it. Immediately stops the burning in your throat the vomit burning in Your nose the bloat and acid. That I can guarantee its an old timely remedy and it works beautifully

I have exactly the same problem as you have. But it is even worse due to pregnancy now. Since years I am on prescription of omeprazole / pantaprezole. This prescription does help but doesn’t provide instant relief. I only take it when it flares up but it needs to be taken for few days. But another thing that has helped me is Eno which is available in Indian stores. It gives instant relief and perfect
remedy for me. Another thing is half and half cold water and milk for instant relief.

I just started this also. It hits worst at night. I have used chewable vitamin D. I take or chew 2 and then about an hour later took 1 and then before I go to bed another 1. Gone!!!

A teaspoon of Apple cider vinger is the safety way to go. Using Baking sode in some woman it can cause some stomach problems

1 Like

What helps me at night is sleeping on my left side. My heart goes out to you because I have it real bad. Try to stay away from chocolate,drink decaf coffee. Also oranges :tangerine: these make even worse

Strawberry Milk…I take omerpozale twice a day but sometimes it’s real bad I have had a problem since Feb with soured burps…Also chewable gas pills help…if it is that bad you may wanna go to the er they can give you a liquid to drink and it gets rid of the heart burn I have had to do it before

I try not to eat too late and avoid fatty food…well sometimes!

1 Like

Bicarbonate of soda powder.mix it in water and drink.ormilk.gavisgone liguid.you may have a gallstone or haitus hernia.call your doctor for a appointment.or ask for a call back.or nurse.sleep propted up drink plenty water.call doc monday.i have had the above it is scarey.good luck.

Apple cider vinegar … organic with “mother pectin “

The only thing that helps mine is a tsp of apple cider vinegar.

Raw Almonds- I have a hiatal hernia and even with pregnancy…almonds always relieved me

Ice cream or milk usually are my go to when my starts acting up

1 Like

a teaspoon of baking soda in 2c of water. this should only be used every once inawhile. Also low acidic diet. no soda

I have exactly the same thing. Mine started in March and has just got worse due to stress and not being able to go to the doctors as usual hasn’t helped. I was prescribed omeprazole last week and that is really helping, although I still have the odd day of pain and burning throat at the mo, but much better than before and no longer having to eating packets of gaviscon.
Hope you get some relief soon. X

I take protonix. I also have phenergan for when Acid Reflux gets bad. I keep ginger ale on hand too. Some use ginger-snap cookies

Avoid high acid foods and lying flat.

Use Famotidine (Pepcid Max) for medicine.

Also, the chiropractor. It’s amazing. Seriously…A-M-A-Z-I-N-G

I get it so bad,I also have gallstones, apple cider vinegar, high fibre,it’s aweful dairy can make it worse which is hard because u feel like dairy to help soothe

Another thing is eat smaller amounts of food and foods with acid in it and salt can trigger it too

Ok I’m gonna tell u something that sounds gross but i did it the whole time I was pregnant with my son because I had it so bad. But you need to swallow a tablespoon of musturd and do it ever 30 minutes to an hour until it goes away. I promise it works!

Be careful…if it persists…get checked by a doctor. My mom had a tear…possibly intestinal…would have been septic if she hadn’t been checked. Doing great after repair

Raniditine… this thing saved my effing life and i cannot recommend it enough. My MIL has very bad reflux & gave me a small bottle of it for my pregnancy and made everything so much better… i still take it sometimes when im about to eat something that triggers it.

1 Like

My husband’s doctor told hin warm water with baking soda in it before bed will help,

Tablespoon of mustard or milk helps me. I’m pregnant so heartburn is bad

Try eating something light, like oat meal or cream of wheat before bed time, it may consume the acid.

Hi there, I also suffered badly with acid reflux. My husband’s grandmother told me to take a pinch of uncooked rice (about 12-15 grains) first thing every morning for 21 days. I know it sounds crazy, however, she told me this in 2012, I did it then and have never suffered with it since. Everyone that I’ve told about it and did it have also had it work for them. You can chew the grains, or just swallow them whole. I had put a handful of rice in a small container on my bedside table so I’d remember to do it every morning.
Again, I know it sounds crazy, but it works, it was natural and of course had no side effects

Pickle juice works really well and my Dr said I could take a teaspoon of baking soda and then drink a glass of water if was too bad I also have acid reflux due to a fluctuating esophagus

I eat bread to soak up the acid. At night I lay on my left side and my head above my heart to give the acid to back off.

Prilosec and and a mild antibiotic. Take for 3 days it cured my ulcers and stopped acid reflux

When I was pregnant with my daughter I went through the same thing I would mix up a spoon of baking soda in a 8oz glass of water and drink it . It helped me alot

Go to ER to make sure it’s acid reflux! Then they cam give you the right treatment.

Rosemary essential oil. I drop behind each ear.

Eat celery, stay away from tomatoe in cans that have to much salt I use tomatoe juice its lighter then the can

spoon full of mustard, apple cider vinegar(sooo full), chocolate milk, these are some that I have tried when it go so bad and no medication would help.

I use ultra strength
Phazme tiny red capsule always realeves has try it.

Try bottled lemon juice in water and sleeping with your upper 1/2 elevated slightly. Worked for me every time.

Try gaviscon mint cold from fridge and a glass of water with baking soda first…

Apple cider vinegar works wonders, taken daily it tricks your body into thinking its producing too much acid therefore making it produce less

Chew sugarless peppermint gum helped my daughter while pregnant

Not sure if you get this where you’re from, I’m from South Africa. My fiancé suffers from bad heartburn, he’s finally found something called Adco-Cimetidine which works well. One everyday and he doesn’t have an issue anymore. If you get it there, try it. It’s also really cheap here compared to other medicines.

If you are going to eat spicy, take Beano between one hour before you eat. I take antacids but have found if I eat a stalk of celery it helps a lot ! Try it !!

Drink some baking soda and water. About 1 teaspoon of soda in a cup of water

Alkaseltzer drink or heartburn chews, an apple, apple cider vinegar. Maybe a daily otc med like prilosec. Zantac/Ranatidine is now being linked to cance.

After years of dealing with acid reflux and many medications one omeprazole a day, usually in the morning, has helped considerably. I drink decaf coffee and tea, nothing real spicy. Sleep with my head slightly elevated and nothing to eat after 8:00 p m… Now that time can be adjusted according to your own bedtime. I usually go to bed right after the 10:00 news. Used to take Prilosec but doctor gave me a prescription that insurance would pick up.

I was just told today 1/2 teaspoon of yellow mustard. Try it

Pepcid is good I took my son to Er and that’s what they told him to take it works all night … feel better

You can try turmeric boiled in some milk with some honey…

Husbunds has this and takes tablets regularly, but he avoids acidy or greasy foods after 2pm and dosent drink caffine after 5, seems to keep the attacks away

Usually omeprazole helped me. Then when I was pregnant it was about 2l of milk and 4l-6l of water a day

Protonix has helped me. You may need an endoscopy to see if it’s ulcers.

I take omeprazole for mine I suffered for along time untill I couldnt eat without drinking or if I dont have a drink I was gonna be sick so I went to gp and had a camera down he then kept me on omeprazole they are good

Mine turned out to be a bleeding ulcer. Was in hospital for 3 days! Glad I went to ER!

Gaviscon double action. U just suck them or buy the liquid stuff. B@M or Home bargains sell it or from pharmacy

I have my head of the bed 6 to 7 in higher .Also dont eat for 3 hours be for bed I also use pepcid ac. and no spicy food

I use pepper mint candies they work really well

Have u tried pickle juice or spoonful of yellow mustard

You might have gallstones or infection in your the stomach you need antibiotics

Stay away from fatty meat…carbonated drink’s and beer for awhile

Baking soda and water a guick fix use it when everything else fails

Over the counter Ranitidine can be taken alongside esomeprazole perscription - one small pill lasts 12 hours and are fantastic (UK)

1 tablespoon of baking soda to a glass of water and drink it

Apple cider vinegar…NOT white vinegar…or pickle juice

Prevacid absolutely cured me and now it’s over the counter and I had it severe

I take Omeprazole daily for mine. You can also drink milk to soothe if you wake up with it.

You should have a scope of your stomach. Will help provide Dr which medicine to prescribe. Also could be other issues.

Have you tried drinking pickle juice?

Work out what foods etc make it worse and avoid them.

Go to your doctor and get omeprazole it’s generic Prilosec. Take it once a day ! Promise ya it works!

3 Likes

Have you tried Philips Milk of Magnesia?

Lennon Dutch medicine called Jamaica ginger.

Aloe water helped me tons

1 Like

Bicarbonate of soda one teaspoon in water x

A little bit of baking soda and water does great

Trust us old folks. 1 TABLESPOON OF BAKING SODA 1 AND A HALF CUP OF WATER, STIR AND SLAM. DONT SIP IT.

1 teaspoon baking soda in 4 oz of water

Believe it or not but dill pickle juice. Don’t laugh. It works

My husband would mix baking soda and water