What can I do about my 1 week old being constipated?

Dear moms, my babies are a week old and on formula, but he is suffering from constipation, any suggestions to relieve it?

23 Likes

Cal his doctor or put come Caro syrup in his milk

1 Like

Diluted apple juice helps, but I would definitely call the Dr if he’s only a week old.

3 Likes

Simithicone works wonders.

Put a teaspoon of brown sugar in there bottle, good old remedy and works! Done it on both my little ones when they went on formula

Not kidding. 2 oz of chocolate milk… worked for my baby

Most likely his system can’t tolerate the brand of formula, change the formula he could be lactose intolerant, or the formula has too much iron which constipates some babies, but also contact a pediatrician.

9 Likes

They make baby suppositories but might be too young. I’d video visit a pediatrician

My niece had that problem, her dr had given my sister this tube with like lube stuff to put it in her butt. But I have no idea what it’s called. I can ask my sis tomorrow but I am sure If you speak to your kids dr he will recommend something.

Even prunes.

Call your DoctorThe baby is a week old Don’t take any advice from anyone

6 Likes

Definitely call the pediatrician

Call the Dr. I would say the formula is the problem like the other person said. When my kids would have this problem I would walk 2 fingers around their belly or lay them over my knees on their belly and rock my knees back and forth to massage their stomach… Water down prune juice also works, they don’t need alot

My son had this problem, we had to change his formula and give him caro syrup. But every baby is different, definitely contact his doctor before doing anything. Depending on what type of health insurance you have, there might he a 24 hour nurse line available.

You have to be very cautious with what you give infants for constipation! Their bowels are not fully developed and could cause intestinal damage! Best to rely on your pediatricians advice.

1 Like

Chamomile tea if he was older but 1 week call doctor

Brown sugar and water mix it together is the only thing that helped my bub

Better ask the Dr. He sounds too tiny for juice, although that definitely helps for an older baby. It’s probably the brand of formula. You probably need something for sensitive tummies.

I used to put a little Vaseline on the tip of a q tip and massage it around my baby’s little bum. Not in his hole. It usually worked.

Ive heard an old wives tale about vaseline on a qtip and you lube up his butt canal to help the poop come out smoother . Google confirms that it’s a thing.

1 Like

I have 4 kids each one had issue with this at some point and the doctor recommended different things for each… so definitely contact you childs doctor

Tip of thermometer in the butt with vaseline

CALL THE DOCTOR. They need to make sure everything is ok before trying any remedies to relieve it.

1 Like

A tiny bit of apple juice should stimulate the bowels.

When my babies were little, we used to put a little extra water in the formula it helped with the constipation,…

Talk to your pediatrician however boiled cooled water is all they.need for constipation. Just.keep withnthe fluids it will clear out but.if it continues not for too long speak with the doc

2 Likes

Talk to the pharmist in drug store he knows about lots of cures

Your drug store pharmist is safest information he deals with lots of meds overcounter and prescription and has a drug degree from school learning and make sure he knows age of child!!!

How long has it been since they went ? Have you tried the bicycle legs technique?
Contact your doctor if you are worried . 1 week old children should be seen by a doctor if they are having issues . They are too young for home remedies.

Powder or liquid formula?
And how much iron does it contain?

2 Likes

Ask for advice from 111

Bicycle kicks & Baby Frida Windi- if you don’t have you can take a thermometer dipped in Vaseline and slightly insert into rectum but no more than 1 centimeter. I’m not sure if baby can have gripe water, yet.

Exercise or a warm bath.

Run their belly in a clockwise motion. Worked for my babe!

At 1 week it’s pretty normal for a baby to grunt and strain a little while pooping… they’re getting used to working belly muscles. To help I would give a warm bath, a belly massage, and some bicycle kicks.
If she’s still having issues I would contact her doctor

4 Likes

This happened to my son at 1 week and the dr. Told me to just give him .5 ounces of pedialyte every half hour til he pooped… it was only bout 2 hours and all was good. Definitely check with your dr. First

Put a little Vaseline on the inside of his butt hole

Use a q tip and vaseline I had too

My son is 3 weeks and just in the Dr 2 days ago…said a small amount of prune juice is ok to give.

Tiny about of karo syrup in bottle. I always heard that, but it didn’t work for my baby. I would have to massage around her butthole. You WILL get pooped on, but it works. Tony amount of prune juice in bottle might help???

ALL NATURAL… BABY SPOON OF 100% olive oil with little specks of salt my nana’s Mexican remedies never failed and my kids never stepped foot in ER or Drs office for constipation.

1 Like

1 to 2 teaspoons of Light Kayro syrup in the bottle with formula…works great.

1 Like

Pear juice! My son was like that. We still keep it at home and now he’s 19!

1 Like

Karo syrup in a bottle! My son’s Pediatrician told us that and it works wonders!

My pediatrician recommended 1oz prune juice mixed with 1oz formula/milk. Also the vaseline on a qtip just inside the rectum.

people used kyro syrup in formula

1 Like

A tiny bit of prune juice with an ounce of water be sure to buy the gerber if you do this

Rub tummy, move their legs like they are riding a bike, warm bath

3 Likes

1 teaspoon kayro to 4 oz milk or 1 oz juice 1 oz water or mommy’s bliss constipation ease 1 ml

Don’t give a 1 week old anything until you talk to his pediatrician. He may need his formula changed. The only thing I would do for a 1 week old would Vaseline a thermometer and rotate inside the anus gently. It stimulates the muscles and will make him push / grunt

7 Likes

Call your pediatrician. Some of these recommendations could be dangerous.

7 Likes

Catnip & fennel drops. At a health food store.

Call his ped,at 1 week don t play with home remodys.

6 Likes

Wait… do NOT give your baby anything. It is. Or al for newborns to not poop for days/weeks at a time as their stomach adjusts. PLEASE contact your pediatrician.

3 Likes

1 week old? Call the doctor just to be safe!!!

3 Likes

I used glycerin suppositories, but ask Dr first.

At one week old I wouldn’t do anything without talking to the Dr first. Good luck and I hope the babies poop soon🙏

2 Likes

Yes please don’t listen to these recommendations… esp. syrups or juices…
Def. call your doctor and see what they have to say and you might ask about switching to a different formula. A lot of formulas constipate babies, esp. soy. It’s trial and error and sometimes you have to find what works best for baby’s belly. I think we tried 3 or 4 before we found the right one and she had regular bowel movements from then on. My daughter had a gentle for supplementation formula, it lacked nothing nutritionally being a supplementation formula it just reacted in her system more closely to breast milk. Even though she was EFF, it worked great! Your doctor might have a recommendation outside of the box like that which really helps. Good luck!

4 Likes

Dark karo syrup dealt with for 4 years with my son dark Karo syrup worked in warm bottle of milk . The warm milk activates it and light karo syrup doesn’t work and dark only works if milk is warm for my son anyway

I agree don’t give your baby anything see a doctor but they will probably tell you to just make sure baba is feeding and wet nappies are still happening.

1 Like

Seriously suggesting juice and karo syrup to a one week old?!?! Call the pediatrician! A lot of these suggestions could be dangerous!

5 Likes

Rub belly, do the bicycle with babies legs. Put baby over your knees belly down and rub babies back. *of course support baby’s neck :hugs:

11 Likes

Qtip with Vaseline or your pinky finger right up the butt! Massage belly and move legs in bicycle motion.

1 Like

At 1 week old a tiny bit of brown sugar dissolved in boiled water my daughter had the same problem an dr recommended that but only a small bit an dont give baby it more than once k it worked for me

1 Like

Qtip with Vaseline up the butt. Works wonders

2 Likes

BioGaia, helps with gut health designed for babies!

I had the same issue its still them getting to know their own body u have to think for the 9 months they were inside u u were doing the work for them its a learning thing but it could be his formula or hes not getting enough vitiams bc thats what they said was wrong with my son

Vaseline on a thermometer, up the butt. I’m not even joking. My son was about 2 months old and extremely constipated. He would not stop crying, he could not be soothed. His belly was rock hard. We were up all night and I had no idea what to do. I called my grandmother, she came over with Vaseline and a thermometer. She covered the thermometer in Vaseline and stuck it in his butt. Within minutes, he went and was fine. I guess it’s like a suppository for babies.

3 Likes

I used warm water with a bit of sugar, n it helped a lot

Karo syrup…just a little in his bottle

1 Like

That’s what children’s hosp told me to do

Bicycle his legs, massage his stomach gentle circles. Worst comes to worst stimulation works but I’ve read this is not something to use frequently because then baby relies on it to poop.

1 Like

If babies are breastfeeding it can take 3-5 days between each poop because they process the calories in breast milk so well. If longer than that they might have a lactose allergy which can be fixed with a non dairy diet for mom. Babies that are formula fed should poop every 2-3 days. My son had to be switched to a sensitive formula to help with his constipation but after the switch was totally fine. Either way, if you’re still concerned talk to their pediatrician :slight_smile:

1 Like

“I love you” massage… You can also change your formula…

1 Like

Breastfed or formula? I know babies can have sensitive tummies to formula. Gerber constipated both our sons. Switched to enfamil and the youngest goes atleast 2x daily

Definitely contact your pediatrician immediately!

A few spoons full of natural prune juice and 1 ounce of warm water works great was a old time natural remedy

1 Like

Yes that’s what I had to do with my son we found out he was allergic to the corn syrup in the formula

Thermometer with vaseline

Brown sugar swarm water should help.

I second the thermometer. But, theres an underlying reason why he’s considered so definitely check with his pediatrician.

my 3rd child is 3weeks old And heath visitor Told Us To give him a little bit of warm Water It helps! only a little bit though. and to make Sure the water goes in Fast In the bottle then the Formula… It helps. Dont have the problem much now with putting water in then Formula… And doing the little bit of warm water when is needed.

however definitely get some advice!

Makes like a gentle laxative. I used to give my babies thru a bottle when thus happened. Couple sips at a time. Safe. Net take a bit if time but will wirk and much easier on baby. Softens poop… like a gentle laxative stool softener.

Supplements! That’s what they will do for your baby at the ER.

Ok, first, is baby breastfeeding or formula? It’s normal for breastfed babies to go longer without pooping. Is baby showing signs of discomfort (pulling legs up into abdomen with crying, belly seems swollen), their bodies are trying to adjust to an entire new world, try to relax, call the doctor if that makes you feel better, but take a breath, it’s new to both of you, some things just take a little time. Don’t do anything FB suggests, without baby doc’s ok first.

3 Likes

Try a different formula. My kids pretty much used all different ones. Contact your pediatrician. They should have samples of different brands you can try.

1 Like

FOR THE LOVE OF EVEYTHING DO NOT LISTEN TO THESE IDIOTS. Talk to your Dr. PLEASE!! :pray::pray:

5 Likes

My son struggled with constipation too. Bicycle with the legs, belly rub, and a warm bath would help. We ended up having to use suppositories about once a week but he was a little older and it was with the pedi’s recommendation. I would definitely not give him anything without talking to his pedi!

Talk to your doctor first before trying anything, what works for one mite not work for yours. Just to be safe and put your mind at ease talk to your doctor

1 Like

Belly rubs clock wise , push legs up to belly with knees bent . Let baby push them out straight. And repeat . Also rub butt hole gently with warm cloth

3 Likes

Talk. With. Your. Doctor. :blush:

3 Likes

Warm bath,bocycle legs and have a look at some baby belly massages to help with bringn it down helped with my little girl i wouldnt give water at just a week old thats one thing i was told not to do by midwife and health visitor but always talk to your gp first .

1 Like

Dark Karo syrup that’s what great grandma used

1 Like

DO NOT DO ANY REMEDIES IN THESE COMMENTS. This is a one week old baby :roll_eyes: if the baby is breastfed, they tend to go longer without pooping. Formula fed babies can be adjusting to the type of formula and can also be constipated because of this. I had this issue with my son. I spoke to his doctor and switched his formula. Talk to the pediatrician but until then just rub the tummy gently and bicycle motion exercises. My pediatrician always told me it’s not “constipation” for BF babies under a week and 4 days for formula babies.

7 Likes

Are you giving him formula with iron, that would constipated, try without iron

Change formula.
We used nutramigen.

With my 4 month old. When bubs an I come out of hospital bubs had Constipation.
My midwife told me warm bath, bike exercises or rub his belly or back…
Just remember babies do strain as they are getting used to using the muscles to poop.
Please DONT insert anything up his bottom or give him sugary water or juice that young. ( if u give him to much sugar so young it can cause seizures an have other side effects). Yes I have previously used sugar water for my older 2 daughters but they were closer to 6 months old.

Best thing to do with a baby is seek medical advice, even if it’s for something so small but if ur unsure then take him. Or ring a child/parent help line of maternal nurses.

I was asked if it’s hard like rocks (that’s constipated) or if his poops were like clay. Sometimes u gotta let bubs try get used of the milk…

My midwife recommended I used coloxyl drops and after 2 weeks I changed formula as nothing changed an formula just wasn’t agreeing with him…
Is it gold brand formula ? Gold brand has a lot of iron.
So that didn’t agree with my son. So I changed formula waited a week an half while I still used coloxyl drops an he started pooping soft. So I stopped drops when soft an everything was ok.
But he still strained for a while until he got a bit bigger an used of using his poop muscles

Warm sugar water used to work like a charm for my lil girl if u dint got sugar u can use kyrosyrup

1 Like

Used karo syrup in the formula. Worked on my kids and grandkids.

https://www.amazon.com/Gaspasser-Fridababy-all-natural-solution-Relief/dp/B007RAGALO/ref=asc_df_B007RAGALO/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=216449753208&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5353045861376558655&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9009696&hvtargid=pla-338189083106&psc=1

Dark Karo syrup mixed in with formula. Be careful with water. Little ones get strangled really easy