What can I do about my 1 week old being constipated?

I would consult your pediatrician before you do anything.

1 Like

Change formula. Was like that with my son. Better yet talk to a Pediatrician

1 Like

Don’t ask on here go to a doctor

1 Like

call the doctor. in the meantime, a harmless way is moving baby’s legs in a “bicycling” motion. it stimulates the intestines and also helps to build leg muscle

1 Like

I was told to add a tiny bit of extra water to 2 formula bottles throughout the day. Nothing crazy, about 5 ml.

Little baby suppositories. Cut them into quarters. It’ll make him pushhhhh

1 Like

I switched back to breastmilk fixed it right up

My girl was a weeek old on monday and she had her first doc appointment and her doctor prescribed her meds for at home for constipation. Her doctor also put her pinky up her but (i know, gross) while we were in office and my girl instantly pooped and when we got home pooped again. It brought alot of relief. Definitely talk to your doc to see what they can do for your baby. We are having trouble finding a formula that works for us.

I would call my pediatrician first. My daughter had constipation issues when she was a baby. The doctor recommended similac alimentum, it was a miracle!

3 Likes

Don’t do anything without speaking to your pediatrician. Constipation is normal in babies that age. Just call the doctors office, that’s what they’re there for, and it’ll make you feel a lot better!!

21 Likes

Acidophilus. Google it. Gave to my son when he was a baby. He needed surgery for the constipation. This helped so much after. Perfectly safe.

1 Like

Call the nurses line for your pediatrician. But just know it can be COMPLETELY normal for a newborn to go 3 or 4 days without pooping. Doesn’t necessarily mean they are constipated. So definitely call the pediatrician. They should have one call people to answer questions and ask YOU very specific questions to get to the root of the problem, and make the correct suggestions. On this matter, since your baby is only a week old, please don’t just take internet advice. Get advice from a qualified medical professional!

11 Likes

My cousins son was constipated because his intestines got all twisted during birth. His pediatrician recommended surgery but our chiropractor suggest he get adjusted and 2 weeks later he was pooping with no issues and no surgery.

3 Likes

Everyone that has asked me this over the last 20 years, I always say this first: if using powdered formula, boil the water and make up enough for the day and refridgerate. Warm as needed. Every mama that was using powdered formula had no issues after this in their babies. Just friendly advice from a mom and grandma.

7 Likes

Do bicycle legs, rub belly , don’t give anything unless speak to his pediatrician we also went threw many formulas before getting soy with no issues!
He was breast feed for 2 months I tried pumping . Good luck sometimes a bath can help pushing legs up to belly gently

7 Likes

They have baby suppositories for infants, they actually work & are very gentle. But you can’t use too often, baby will get used to them & not try to poop on their own…It just takes them a little time…He will be ok. Just keep an eye on his formula. May need something that is more gentle on his little tummy…God Bless

First get a warm cloth and lay it on his tummy …rub the tummy gently …(call drs office and ask the nurse if this is recomended ) but back in the day we would give a few ounces of purified water with a few drops of apple juice to make it sweet .if this doesn’t work baby pear juice is the bomb literally

1 Like

I put a little Karo syrup in with their bottles. My grandmother has been a rn for 35 years and within a hour my baby was going potty. It helps soften their stool so they can go.

This is probably an old school remedy and I’m sure somebody has some reason why you shouldn’t do this, but I always put a little Karo syrup in their bottle when they were constipated. Worked like a charm.

1 Like

Speak to your pediatrician first. The formula may be too hard for your baby to digest and may recommend a change in formula. Hope your baby feels better soon.

When my kids were young this happen to them. The doctor told me that they need to learn how to push. He told me to use a thermometer to stimulate direct them because it will help them push against the thermometer and push out. It worked.

We’ve always done kayro syrup.
I always thought you shouldn’t give newborns/infants water? Especially with it mixed with something other than formula.

10 Likes

I had to change to a sensative formula with my youngest as she had the same issue. Talk to your doctor first…always!

It’s normal. I was also scared when my baby didn’t poop the whole day but dr said he’s going thru his growth spurt. If baby is really fussy try gripe water

Soap and water enema and work the legs. Give your pediatric doctor a call just to let them know what is going on.

3 Likes

My dear friend I faced same problem with my 1year toddler.
His condition had become so bad doctors had advised surgery. But thank God, just in time some one suggested senna leaves. Within a week my sons severe constipation (he used to not pass his stools for a week some times) was cured. Just a thought boil 1 tsp leaves in a glass of water reducing until half. Give a quarter cup in the night or early morning. Mix with honey to taste good

Depends how your baby eats great milk or formula? My first was all formula and went quite often my second was straight breatmilk baby and he would not go for bout four days at times I was concerned and called doc and I was told that was normal with breast milk fed babies. However when my first was constipated I was directed by doc to buy baby laxative from Walgreens in the baby dept and it did the trick but I’d massage their tummy gently until you can call a doctor as none of us are doctors and don’t know how you feed your baby and or if they have any issues besides being constipated

We used to have to massage my daughter’s behind to get her to poo! Some time out of the nappy might help! As the air makes things move! But just check with your health visitor! Good luck!

Put a little kayro syrup in the baby’s milk in it’s bottle that will help loosen his or her bowels .it did with my children when they were small .

3 Likes

We had to switch formula, but call your pediatrician. Don’t take anyone’s medical advice on Facebook when it comes to children, especially with a newborn baby.

My oldest went through a one week phase where she didn’t poop and I was very worried. Her doctor told me that some babies essentially have to learn to poop (AKA they know they have to go so they tense up instead of relaxing, causing a bloated belly and discomfort). Hope your sweet baby feels better soon! :yellow_heart:

Warm bath, even if you have to get in with the baby, do soothing motions with baby laying with belly submerged. Once bath is over, massage tummy and do bicycle movements with legs. One or 2 little spoons of prunes will work the magic! My now almost 2 year old had the same issue when she was a newborn!

3 Likes

I would call the doctor before giving anything oral or rectal. When my son was little a would give him a light foot message and this stimulated his bowels. Good luck!

My daughter had the same problem. Doctor switched her to a low iron formula and it worked. My dil used gripe water for my grandson. Good luck finding something that works quickly b

Miralax my youngest was premature and had this problem I would just ask the doc how much it’s a stool softener so takes about 12hrs to kick in (that was my experience) yours might be different good luck Mama​:cherry_blossom::heart:

There’s an all natural prune concentrate made for toddlers and babies. 1 drop in an 8 oz bottle did it for my daughter

1 Like

My pediatrician just told me to give my 4 week old an oz of apple juice every few days. She’s 6 weeks now and pooping better. But I’d ask yours before doing anything.

Years ago my pediatrician told me to put 1teaspoon Karo syrup in the formula…it worked…But always consult your pediatrician

1 Like

Prune juice… although it’s normal for newborns to go up to two weeks without a bowel movement

1 Like

Yep my kid had it too. Bicycle movements and massage. At one month we introduced a bit of prune juice in formula. Consult the ol pediatrician on the ratio though.

Call the doctor but with my son we were told it was okay to give him about half an ounce of apple/grape juice mixed in one of his bottles. It helped tremendously.

Dark Karo Syrup add to his bottle, my pediatrician recommend that for us and it worked we used it until he was about 4 months old

Call your ped…every baby is different and may not be able to tolerate the Karo syrup or Miralax.

1 Like

If baby is breastfed, it’s totally normal for them to not poop every day, even up to 10 days.

If baby is formula fed, a small amount of apple juice should work.

Could be the formula. I had to use similac with soy for my oldest. The regular kind made him constipated really bad. But definitely talk to your pedi about what to do to help your little one.

I’d definitely check with your doctor first but mine always said a little DARK Karo syrup in the bottle. All 3 of my babies had problems throughout bottle time and it helped everytime!

Prune juice mixed with Formula. However talk to the Doctor. He may want to prescribe a laxative

My 3 boys had this same problem. I used either similac sensative or enfamil gentle ease and they didn’t have a problem after that.

In a child that young you should consult your pediatrician. Sometimes it’s as simple as a change in formula.

My 1 year old only poops like…once every other day and has since she was born. If they are at least somewhat pooping they should be fine but deff ask pediatrician

I agree with calling the dr. Mine used to have me mix an ounce of prune juice with water. They were a tad older than yours tho. Also some vaseline on a qtip and gently put just the tip in the rectum (like taking a temp) and it stimulates them to push. So much advice but ask a professional

I used to put a little of the dark kayro syrup in the bottle. But powdered formula was the best relief. Or use a rectal thermometer and they will poop right away.

It is definitely normal but rubbing their belly or lightly squeezing their belly will help break down the poop in their belly. Giving them juice or anything like that right now is too soon and there isnt anything over the counter that can be given to babies until theyre a year old

Glycerine suppositories. But not without talking to the doctor. Claire Hinckley 's post plus rubbing the baby’s belly clockwise. My mother-in-law was always saying prune juice yuck!

Mild soap and water enema works miracles. Change formula

My mom put all (8) of us on soy. We never had any issues. I put my twins on soy as well. Not one issue. They’re 10 now

Our doctor had me use just a tiny bit of dark cario syrup

It could be the formula. I knew quite a few babies who had to switch cause the formula caused constipation.

Pear juice is most effective of the juices. Doctors will normally prescribe miralax, but ask your peds first.

We had to stimulate a bm with KY jelly on a rectal thermometer for my premature twins.

Give your baby gripe water and apply a thin layer of asafoetida in and around baby’s bellybutton (make a paste with water).

If formula fed, make sure you put water then add the powder. Not the other way around. I had the same problem with my oldest being constipated and it was because I did formula then water.

1 Like

My little one was switched over to enfamil reguline. Only one he was good on

I did bicycle exercises with my sons legs when he was about a week old because of this and it worked within an hour of doing it

Try going dairy free. Too much dairy makes my daughter constipated. She has been that way since she was a baby.

1 teaspoon of light Karo Syrup mixed in an 8oz bottle. Will soften the stools.

Call your doctor. Syrup and prune juice might be too strong on a week old baby

1 to 2 tsp of Kyro syrup mixed with the formula

1 Like

I switched the girls to carnation good start. Had to have a script for wicked to cover it. Didn’t have any issues after that.

When you say constipated do you mean no poops for a whole week? Or are you referring to consistency of poop? Is baby straining? Not passing gas? Belly distended? Vomiting? Time to see MD in ER if yes to the last three. If not, consider seeing paediatrician and try warm baths with abdominal massages spelling “LOVE” on their belly until then

The dr also recommends if there straining to take there leg and push them up toward their belly and then down not hard.

Only 1 week old? Def talk to your pediatrician first!

1 Like

Put him a nice relaxing warm bath. After a bit. It should help elevate the constipation.

Change to a sensitive formula if not already on it…the blue can of similac would do that to my youngest because the amount of iron in it so we had to switch to sensitive

Try massaging his or her tummy and do leg exercises like the ones for gas

How about talk to your doctor or pharmacist instead of face book

I always did either pear juice for some kids or 1 oz clear karo syrup to 7 oz formula. You can always split up the formula into another bottle but do this every other feeding… Also put a couple mylicon gas drops in with the formula

Been a few years but there were drops i got at walmart and mixed with the formula. Seemed to help

Apple juice…very little mixed with water

Work his legs in a bicycle motion. That usually helped mine.

2 Likes

White grape juice is what I gave my son

My dr always recommended a little of light corn syrup in a bottle

Call your Peds. Please don’t do anything until you talk to him/her.

6 Likes

We took ours to a chiropractor and it helped alot

A week old baby shouldn’t be constipated may need to switch formulas

Try moving her legs in a bicycling motion. Worked very time for my daughter.

My son got condmstipated from too much iron had to switch to low iron formula problem gone right away

watered down pear juice. however, if it keeps being a problem, go in. They ended up having to dilate my daughter.

You can give him about 1/2 ounce of prune or apple juice mix the other half with water

Baby massages and a warm bath.
And make sure the milk is a little warmer it maybe too cool

Qtip dipped in vaseline - tip from my pediatrician

Some miralax in the formula, or an enema.

I use olly multivitamin with probiotics helps my kids stay regular… they drink tons of milk

Old fashion way of taking the babies temperature with the thermometer

A 1/2 teaspoon of dark kayro syrup in the milk.

Rub tummy clockwise 27x …i heard thatvhelps babies and others

A little Kayro syrup in the bottle with formula/milk.

Nothing you can do at the moment. Warm baths and belly rubs…

Or 1 tsp of brown sugar in the formula…

If the formula has iron thats likely it.