What can I do about my 8-year-old daughters attitude?

Spend more time with your kid :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sorry, but maybe you did ?? Time to sit down with her and have a serioys conversation. Tell her that she growing up and should act like it.

2 Likes

Kids say hurtful things. I think your being a bit harsh on doing all those things as a punishment. My daughter is the same way. Some kids are just bluntly honest. Just a simple talking to about how sometimes we can say the 1st thing that comes to mind because we hurt peopleā€™s feelings could be enough or start talking to her the way she does others so she can actually learn why itā€™s not nice. Sheā€™s a kid, no filter. Period

10 Likes

First of all thatā€™s odd your nanny is talking to an 8 year old about that. She got an adult response while discussing an adult topicā€¦which a child she baby sits :grimacing: when punishing your child please make sure she k knows her voice matters, you dont want her to think shes better off " just shutting up" instead of speaking her mind. I think we as adults forget children have to be TAUGHT appropriate responses to such situations. Esp. In todays day in age when kids want to be " real" all the time. My son and I went theough this bc he wanted to pride himself on being honest and not a ā€œliar. " So we had to discuss how he must be tactful with his responses and certain responses do not necessarily make him a ā€œliarā€. For example. If a friend showed off a drawing they worked hard on and was excited to show him then asked : what do you think bro?ā€ I also discussed the importance of reading the situations, the other personā€™s facial expression and energy. We discussed no matter if he thought it was ugly. Thatā€™s his friend and its important to support his friend and say something like " wow bro I see you worked so hard on that, Iā€™m proud of you." I went through a whole slew of scenarios etc. Or sometimes throughout the day at work Iā€™ll find myself in situations then discuss them with my son when I get home. I think we as adults and parents would love to think itā€™s all common sense. Just like doing homework with our kids every night, we have to constantly be working with them to constantly improve their emotional intelligence.

You kinda contradicted yourself here , you called her a spoiled brat , and said yes you created that and then ends off saying we did not raise her to be this way. ( therefore itā€™s not fair for you to call her a spoiled brat )

Iā€™m going to be very blunt here !

First of all sheā€™s 8 , and Most kids go through a phase with a huge attitude , they try and see how far they can push you !

Second of all , who the heck has adult conversations with a child , like come on !

Third , I highly recommend taking a good look at your own parenting as well. Iā€™m not saying your a bad parent Iā€™m just saying think about what you say and do around her. Also I feel that your punishment is a bit much , I mean for the summer ? You can ground her for a week , take all those things away , and see where it goes from there while reminding her of her wrongful actions and the consequences that come with it. If nothing changes in that week , make it two weeks. They need to know whoā€™s boss.
Last but not least , she has a nanny so Iā€™m assuming you work and sheā€™s with the nanny quite a bit right ? She could be acting out because sheā€™s lacking attention from you in certain areas. Kids donā€™t really know how to manage their feelings , why not take one day on a weekend and have a mommy and daughter day ? Go to her fave restaurant , go for a walk , heck sit in your own house and build and fort and do each others nails while watching a fave movie. Itā€™s the little things.

You have to understand that kids are a monkey see monkey do ā€¦ Oh and talk to that nanny cause that wouldnā€™t fly with me.

Good luck.

1 Like

You take all her fun away and give her chores. Should work.

2 Likes

I get that you didnt raise her that way
But in a sense you raised her to be part of the Self entitled generation

5 Likes

Your answer to your question is in your post.
(Yes, we created that) now you need to fix it.
Stop spoiling your child. Quit giving her everything she wants. Quit letting her have her way. You created a child who thinks she is the boss & can do whatever she wants.

7 Likes

We need to know how much time you are spending with your child versus the nanny. If you are gone majority of the time & the nanny is raising your child then she could very well be acting out for attention.

9 Likes

Sounds like a blunt Austistic kid not a spoiled brat.

4 Likes

I donā€™t advise committing child abuse like several here have recommended.

I think you need to back off of her with the punishments.

And you need to work on connection and empathy.

Which is going to take professional help with a therapist.

4 Likes

One thing to think about his kids arenā€™tļæ¼ necessarily willfully rude. She may not like the nanny so it maybe a shock that someone is dating her. She may not get social cues. Manners are learned btw. And sounds to me like you may be harsh and unloving.

You canā€™t say you didnā€™t raise her to be like this but in the same paragraph say you created the ungratefulness and brattyness you made the monster now itā€™s your time to deal with the consequences. And kids are kids they donā€™t understand the depth of hurtful things to the fullest extent.

2 Likes

Try to talk to your child with kindness and empathy, to enhance your childā€™s skills instead of hinder them with oppression, punishment, and negative self talk that will diminish her self confidence and allow her to put others down by showcasing your negativity towards her. Teach emotional intelligence, to instil kindness in your child, by being a role model for kindness. Here are some ways to try to incorporate emotional intelligence into everyday life. Itā€™s hard raising children. Youā€™re doing a great job, especially by reaching out for help. That takes an extremely strong person. Good luck Mama! :heartpulse:

Try reading this article.

7 Likes

I was a teacher and this sounds like children that I taught. Please please look at your child with love and respect. I know you are angry but all the research shows that kindness and love work better than anger and negativity. I promise! It may seem like the opposite of what you want to do but what works is reinforce anything positive she does, look for it, ignore negative and eventually it changes.

5 Likes

Get rid of the nanny and raise her on your own

9 Likes

I would recommend trying to find time for 1:1 to enhance the bond you have with her before its too late. Figure out what she enjoys doing and become interested in it, laugh more, talk more, act silly- she needs to feel loved and wanted by her mother- not a therapist or punishment. Thatā€™s my opinion and may not necessarily be correct- I do not claim to be a professional qualified to give advice and again this is only my opinion based on limited info- :wink:

4 Likes

An 8yr old shouldnā€™t need a nanny

3 Likes

Check into possible O.D.D (oppositional defiance disorder)

4 Likes

Youā€¦you DID raise her to be like this thoughā€¦

6 Likes

Try not to be so confrontational when you address these things she has said. Be on her side, ask her why she doesnā€™t think anyone would date her nanny? Maybe your daughter doesnā€™t like her for some reason. Kids act out as a cry for help sometimes, and almost always to get attention, especially when they were once the only child and now have a new sibling to take their parents attention. My guess is she wants more time with you, one to one. I think if you made time for this, after a while you would see her open up and chat of her own accord. She would feel happier and hopefully, you would see a drop in the challenging behaviour. Set boundaries in a nice way, i.e "Iā€™m taking (insert privilege) away because (insert behaviour) is unacceptable. But you can earn it back with good behaviour. This out together with the one to one time, should definitely improve things not just for you, but more importantly, for her. She will learn there is a line you donā€™t cross but reinforce that with what she wants more than tech, or toys, reinforce that with you. Zero for bad behaviour, everything to gain for making it right. It wonā€™t happen over night but if you stick to a strict routine like this and donā€™t waver, then the message will hit home. Kids have a lot of will power, so donā€™t give up. This is a kind but strong approach and one I use myself with my boys who are all autistic. I used to get frustrated, hide away and cry, get angry, try strict discipline. I unlearned it all along the way and grew into the way I now parent. The house is calmer, kids are happier, thereā€™s alot less challenging behaviour and nobody feels scolded or angry for a punishment which on paper, seems the right way to go about it but in actual fact, because there is an underlying reason for the behaviour in the first place, leaves the child feeling alienated, angry and misunderstood. Xxx

2 Likes

Shame on you by the way. She is just 8 years old and you want her to act like mothsr teressa

1 Like

Iā€™m trying to figure out what this child did that was so terrible u want to essentially make an 8 year old a prisoner for the rest of the summer? You gave 1 example and yes it was rude but not bad enough she loses everything for the next month 1/2? Sheā€™s 8 and made a rude comment. Kids do that a lot without even meaning to. The nanny shouldnā€™t be talking to the 8 year old about guys to begin with either. Also you mentioned 2 years ago trying one last time? Does that mean you had another child and is that when the behavior change started? If so-have you actually tried to help her adjust and accept a new sibling? 6 years is a long time for a child to be the only child and may take time. This post leaves me with more questions than anything else. Without more info I think your being a bit harsh on a little girl. And if you think this attitude is bad, just wait til sheā€™s a hormonal teenager. You ainā€™t seen nothin yet.

She sounds like a normal child who shows no respect who has to be taught respect. Being nice gets nice back is a good start.

Sheā€™s 8 years old. She sees how her parents treat people. Maybe you guys should look at yourselves

1 Like

Go out to the college the was 5:00dollars my be little more now can call see if they still do it

Follow through on your punishments!!! Thatā€™s the most important thing. There are youtube videos that teach kids the different between joking & being disrespectful, and correct the behaviors EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Empty threats create children who do not take parents seriously.
We have a firm ā€œno funā€ punishment.
So if that means missing a really fun birthday party, or camping trip with grandma, well too bad. I have zero interest in having an unmanageable teenager.

When my daughter says comments that are rude, I immediately ask her ā€œdo you feel like thatā€™s a nice way to speak to someone?ā€ And she usually apologizes.

She talks that way because sheā€™s allowed to.

3 Likes

I would have told the nanny if she didnā€™t want her feelings hurt she probably shouldnā€™t have been talking about her love life to an 8 year old. :woman_shrugging:.
You can talk to her, but I personally donā€™t think she should be punished for this one.

1 Like

Your words : I am at a loss for words because we did not raise her to be like this. She is very ungrateful and a spoiled little brat. So - yes you did. Take everything out of her room other than her bed, pillow and blanket. Sit her down and explain that she is a spoiled brat and that things have to change. Explain that she cannot talk to people the way she does, that she cannot disrespect adults, she has to be kind and obey the rules. Tell her will have to earn back one item at a time but will lose it again if the behavior changes back to being a brat. (back in my day I would have threatened to duct tape my kid to the wall - LOL)

1 Like

Not much. My 8 year old with an attitude turned into a 28 year old with an attitude.

Hell an adult yelling a kid about her man lmao I think she mightā€™ve been a little too blunt but damn lnao

Kids usually parrot things they learn at home. So who do you think she learned that behavior from? Probably something sheā€™s overheard the adults in her life talk about.