What can I do about this situation with my daughter?

I’m sorry you are going through this, I know it must be hard since you seeing your grand baby could potentially be taken away. But she taking advantage of you. Don’t let that happen

1 Like

Kerp being you and let her be herself. Find something else to occupy yourself. Like looking after some other child where the family needs assistance. No offence.

At the end of the day she is the mother of the baby. It sucks but she gets the final say with what she wants for her child whether that be what he eats or what the babysitting arrangement is. It’s your choice to alter your life if you want to be super involved but she is a new mom and is probably just worried. If she wants things to go her way and not be more flexible then she may be better off hiring someone to come to the house and have everything done her way. You did your time raising your babies on your terms and now it’s time for her to. Also it’s not your responsibility to offer free childcare, You’re grandma and you deserve to enjoy time with your your grandbaby and not feel this stressed.

7 Likes

If you can’t follow the parents rules for childcare then you can’t be childcare. It doesn’t matter if the kiddo can’t wear green bc its Thursday. Also a lot of people don’t want others driving their children. If she can’t trust you over waffles what makes you think she trusts you to drive her child around? it’s prob best for whatever relationship that you just be in grandparent role versus a caregiver role.

3 Likes

If she has a second one, EVERYTHING will change. That first baby freaks a lot of mothers out and everything has to be just so. She seems excessive but so are a lot of first time moms.

3 Likes

Tell her to count her blessings

She’s treating you like sh*t. Sorry grandma.

4 Likes

Hey just so you know “GRANDMA you have rights too…”…if my daughter treated me that way i would say good luck!!! Tell when she comes to her sense give you a call…

4 Likes

She definitely sounds like she is being difficult on purpose like she has a ax to grind is it possible that she is angry at you for some reason the fact that she can’t give an inch shows that she’s either angry or highly entitled either way it’s not beneficial for anyone involved I wish you luck

2 Likes

She sounds selfish and entitled. Maybe remind her how much daycare costs and the cost of gas?

6 Likes

It sounds like she has control issues. If you have allowed them growing up, she knows no different now. She runs the show, and unfortunately you’re either there for the ride or not. She sounds like an ungrateful person

4 Likes

That sounds like a horribly selfish viewpoint and sometimes people like that are unable to see logic or appreciate anything.
I’d show her this thread!
Good luck I hope it gets easier for you :two_hearts:

she sounds a bit entitled and needs to be put in her place.

2 Likes

Well if she wants her baby looked after she is going to have to go to you …

1 Like

Well if she wants her baby looked after she is going to have to go to you …

1 Like

You raised her. You might come to an understanding about babysitting

id tell her no babysitting that youll come see him on the weekends

4 Likes

FYI Bread is a breakfast food lol, eggs and toast, french toast. Those are breakfast foods that contain bread lol, sorry if I’m not much help I just thought it was silly that you think bread is only a lunch time thing.

5 Likes

Makes me sad to see this. As my parents are not in my kids life.

4 Likes

Makes me feel lucky to have had my parents and in-laws to help when my son was little. Only thing I asked was to write down when he ate and how much formula because I was a first time mom and wanted to make sure I was feeding him enough/correctly etc. maybe she just had too much anxiety? I know I did as a first time mom. Just talk to her and tell her how you feel.

1 Like

Sad. You may need to seek a good counselor that can help you navigate in a constructive way about how to handle your daughter and her dealing with her manipulative ways.

3 Likes

I don’t feel your wrong at all. You need to put your down if you want something to change. Your daughter knows if she doesn’t budge you’ll give

2 Likes

I don’t feel your wrong at all. You need to put your down if you want something to change. Your daughter knows if she doesn’t budge you’ll give

She’s a spoiled, selfish, self-centered brat.

3 Likes

Your daughter sounds like a b*tch😒

2 Likes

Oh your good to babysit but she can’t meet you 1/2 way , just tell her it’s not fair , if she don’t like find another babysitter $$$$

3 Likes

Do you think she could have some type of personality disorder. I have OCPD and while I have many things that are regimented and am often called a bitch for the way I have to have things done. I am by no means saying what she is doing is right but at least for me there are some things I can try and be flexible with and some things that even when trying I find myself back to being rigid about. Although I am mostly a people pleaser as my therapist said for anything I am not rigid on I will bend over backwards to make it easier on the other person (whether friend or family).

Something to think about. There are many types of anxiety that can cause someone to have these tendencies that most people do not understand.

1 Like

Sounds to me like you raised an entitled princess.

2 Likes

Family mediation with the purpose of plans that work for everyone could be a way … set in place rules for everyone with a third party trained for this. Organisation for the adults and the child having the most settled routine💖

Its her kid so you have to do as she wishes when it comes to her kid

2 Likes

Working Moms are busy - have you got other things to do?

Cut her some slack?

I’m glad you’re so willing to help and she seems a bit ungrateful……do your best Grandma :heart::heart: it’s probably hard on her also :heart::heart:

1 Like

Pls dont babysit if she is this demanding. Put your foot down, she can find care elsewhere which she has to send and follow their working hours for pickup and pay…maybe this will put some sense into her on how lucky she is to have you caring for the baby.
just go visit the baby on weekends.

10 Likes

Tell her to get a life!

Oh wow. I wouldn’t babysit then. She’s a spoiled brat. You are doing her a favor and she acts like she’s doing you one instead. Nope. You can’t let people run over you like that. Did she act selfish when you were raising her?

4 Likes

Tell her you can’t afford the gas to come and stay with the baby. Let her pay a babysitter.

3 Likes

what a spoiled brat. Tell her get a babysitter and she will change her turn real fast.

2 Likes

Tell her you won’t babysit for her then. She has to meet you in the middle.

she has to compromise according to your wishes or else let her hire a sitter - she’ll soon figure it out!

Her child her rules . That’s it that’s all . Whether you think they are “fair to you “ or not . It is not about you . And that is why my children quit going to their grandparents house . Because it always had to be what’s best for them . Not what can i do to help

6 Likes

She sounds ungrateful

3 Likes

Suck it up girl. If you want to see your grandson… and don’t argue with her. You will lose every time. Speaking from experience… trust me. It’s not worth all the trauma and drama. Just enjoy your lil new man!

Are y’all insane? They volunteered themselves meaning she didn’t ask them to. If they wanna watch the baby so damn bad come get them. Clearly they aren’t doing anything else with their time. No one’s being “taken advantage of”.

Also let me throw out there she’s not obligated to make sure you see your grandson. No one is holding anyone hostage from you. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

please dont play her game the minute she doesnt need you you will be finished she has to give and take

Gas isn’t free and if it a 45 min drive she should be willing to meet you let her start paying for childcare she will change her mind fast

She’s a spoiled brat IMO

9 Likes

Get another baby sitter, I am going on with my life. Sorry

1 Like

It was 50:50 with my mom. I’d go to her shed come to me an vice versa. I always looked at it like this my mom is not obligated to help me with my kids but she does. So if she couldn’t then I’d find someone else bc that was my responsibility since they are my kids. An just the same I’m not obligated to make sure my parents see my kids. Thing is it’s a two way street. If I want help with my kids I need to meet my mom in the middle bc essentially she is doing me a favor in which I know I am doing her one in return by bringing my kids to her at times as when she comes to me. She should want to come visit you just as you visit her. The relationship sounds very one sided. I feel like if you put your foot down an say sorry I can’t come to you today but you can come to me an I can still help you that way. An let her make the choice from there. She might get mad but that’s when you tell her you’re still offering to help you just can’t go to her to give her help so if she wishes for the help she will compromise or she will suffer and have to help herself. Stop letting the relationship be one sided. Take back some control and if she gets mad so what. You’re not parenting right if your kid isn’t mad at at you from time to time.

2 Likes

It was 50:50 with my mom. I’d go to her shed come to me an vice versa. I always looked at it like this my mom is not obligated to help me with my kids but she does. So if she couldn’t then I’d find someone else bc that was my responsibility since they are my kids. An just the same I’m not obligated to make sure my parents see my kids. Thing is it’s a two way street. If I want help with my kids I need to meet my mom in the middle bc essentially she is doing me a favor in which I know I am doing her one in return by bringing my kids to her at times as when she comes to me. She should want to come visit you just as you visit her. The relationship sounds very one sided. I feel like if you put your foot down an say sorry I can’t come to you today but you can come to me an I can still help you that way. An let her make the choice from there. She might get mad but that’s when you tell her you’re still offering to help you just can’t go to her to give her help so if she wishes for the help she will compromise or she will suffer and have to help herself. Stop letting the relationship be one sided. Take back some control and if she gets mad so what. You’re not parenting right if your kid isn’t mad at at you from time to time.

1 Like

I feel like she should chuck in for gas. It is easier to watch a child in their own house with their own comforts amd food and the rest. It’s her first child too so her parenting is going to be different and more regimented because it gets drilled into us about routine and what not. Also PND can manifest in different ways - control is one of them… try to talk to her come to a compromise

Tel her you’d just visit in the weekends then. If my mom was doing me that favor then meeting her half way is the least I could do. I bet she isn’t compensating for gas or anything? But she is the one needing the help. She knows you’ll budge and that’s why she has no respect for your time or effort.

8 Likes

Tough pill to swallow:

Your daughter is allowed to set rules and boundaries with her kid. Regardless of how you feel about it. If you can’t accept and respect that, probably best you don’t babysit.

As for the travel, I couldn’t offer to babysit and then expect someone to drive 1 1/2 hours before work to get kiddo to me and get to work on time. Would be different if work is close to you or on the way.

Not only does it mean trying to get a lot done in the morning but fuel is expensive, by the time she does all that driving she might as well pay for a sitter.

I’d say it’s best you step back from babysitting and initiate visiting on some weekends or maybe even dinner once a week.

Your relationship with your daughter and grandson are important and if this arrangement is not working out then it’s just not working out.

7 Likes

Sounds like she might have postpartum anxiety

2 Likes

Lol just think would any other babysitter put up with her demands/madness? Nope set your boundaries now

5 Likes

Some of the comments OMW… I know you love your gbaby… That thing about cruel to be kind is real. She sounds ungrateful… Yes her kid her rules… Well maybe let her find someone else, she would have to pay… Let’s see how that works out… She dangling that baby like a carrot yet she knows she needs you…

5 Likes

Let her do everything on her own, her way. She might appreciate you more if she needs help.

5 Likes

Anytime anyone has had to watch my son I’ve went to them unless it was more comfortable for them at my house.

2 Likes

Have her give you gas money or find a babysitter she has to pay. Sometimes you just have to do no and chances are your daughter will come around. She’s use to you always saying yes and not put in the position of not getting what she wants. I do this with my daughter and finally found she’s caves once she sees I’m not budging on my terms.

4 Likes

she will miss you, long before you miss him, my friend was in the same predicament and it lasted about a week before the mother came looking for a baby sitter.

1 Like

Let her get a babysitter during the week and be a weekend grandma. Separating yourself from the responsibility of it will help your relationship with her and you’ll get extra love from your grand baby too!

7 Likes

I think if you said she needs to drop baby off for the free childcare she might pay attention

1 Like

Tell her she can pay your fuel or get another sitter

4 Likes

You’re in the wrong and the only thing you can say is “okay. Either okay as in “I will do this” or okay “I hear you but this doesn’t work for me”. Either you drive out there or you don’t see HER child. That being said, you’re not obligated to watch the kid. If driving out there doesn’t work for you, fine. But then don’t complain you don’t see the child. This is HER kid and she’s allowed to set whatever rules and regulations she wants to regarding the child no matter how outlandish they seem to you and you have to follow them. If she doesn’t want the child having a waffle, she’s within her right to say that and then you’d have no business going around her decision to give that waffle. She doesn’t have to “give” and everything does have to be done her way, she’s the parent. You had your turn to set rules for your own kid and bend where you wanted to and she has the same rights.

6 Likes

sounds like she is being really difficult and you are busting your ass to make things work,I WOULD THINK THAT NO MATTER WHAT YOU FED THEM AS LONG AS IT WAS HEALTH AND FED WITH LOVE.WHO GIVES A RATS ASS…WE HAVE ONE LIFE AND WHAT A GRANDCHILD EXPERIENCES WILL LAST THEM A LIFE TIME.A GRANDPARENT DOES NOT HAVE THAT MUCH TIME WITH THEIR GRANDCHILD AND IT SHOULD BE HAPPY TIME THAT A CHILD REMEMBERS.GRANDPARENTS CAN GIVE THINGS THAT PARENTS CANNOT…THEY BOTH HAVE THEIR PLACE .THAT IS WHY THERE ARE PARENTS AND THAN THERE ARE GRANDPARENTS…MY SPEIL’.

1 Like

She may loosen up with time. Be patient and just try to help her where she needs help. I just appreciate any time I have with my granddaughter and I do alot of driving. Don t make her the enemy right now. She may feel the child is just safer in the home rather than driving around in the car… She has alot on her plate starting a new job and having a small child. I am sure she is nervous

2 Likes

Does this have anything to do with the current price of gas/food etc? Is she trying to cut down on expenses by having you drive to her?

She is in the wrong. She wants a free babysitter, but can’t even drop off. I would still go visit whenever but for sitter services make her bring that baby to you.

3 Likes

It seems like you are the one doing a favor
Give them a little while to have a come to Jesus moment
Once they pay for a sitter for a while they might be more flexible about it
Just sounds like a spoiled brat parent to me

5 Likes

She’s a first time mom. Give her some grace.

1 Like

let her figure out how to get a sitter own her own, and pay for it !!!

3 Likes

Oh my if she only knew how hard and expensive it really is to have a baby, moreover how blessed she is to have you…everyone does not have a Momma like that…
I like you would drive to get my baby boy to keep him…but if she had to float alone , she might be gracious and ask if she can bring him? I know what you’re going through.

3 Likes

Even if you are a first time Mom, you can have respect and honor the Momma that raised your hiney…and appreciate the free sitter that will love your baby and go that extra mile…believe me its not easy…

1 Like

You are a good grandparent for supporting her preferences when caring for her child. Unless her preference harms the child, it’s up to her to assess what’s best for her child. Regarding the daycare and driving: You can choose to do all the driving but insist she pay you for gas. This is a temporary inconvenience and you have signed up to provide the babysitting. BTW, I was a single parent and my mom helped me for a while. Your daughter is being selfish and doesn’t seem to value the gift you are giving her. I am sure you won’t enter into an agreement with her in the future without working out the details first. After this is over, co ti ue to travel to her house so you can stay connected to your grandchild. Don’t cut off your nose to spite your face…its sad that she has drawn these lines. She is LUCKY to have you.

1 Like

Sad. My friend is in the same situation… she & her hubby must drive 30-45 minutes. Also, they’re not allowed to touch him !!! That’s a big WTF

sorry but her child her rules if you want to see the child

1 Like

Sorry that’s sad. She is not being fair with the way gas prices are. She should be happy you offered to help.

When she’s paying for child care at weekly rates and only bringing the baby a couple days and driving way more and also providing diapers, wipes bottles extra she will be singing a different tune. :scissors: her off now and get some boundaries…