What can my kids call my partner?

What other names other than mom #2 can my children use for their Dad? My partner is trans, so we are same-sex parents. They currently call her Dad, but I’d love to have another term other than mom/ma.

128 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. What can my kids call my partner? - Mamas Uncut

What are your babies comfortable calling her.

15 Likes

If they are comfortable calling them dad then let it stay dad

3 Likes

I have heard of one mom being called mom and the other mama but it’s whatever the kids/mom is comfortable with.

That’s what Kendall n Kylie do

8 Likes

I mean I called my step dad by his name and he mean just the same as my dad to me and walked me down the aisle so I don’t see why your spouse would have to be called dad or mom #2

6 Likes

What does your partner think?

3 Likes

Raven Brighid Graetz what would you suggest?

What is your partner comfortable with being called?

2 Likes

My sister is mama and her girlfriend is mommy

2 Likes

I’d go with whatever they’re comfortable saying…

Maybe a shortened version of their name.

1 Like

I heard of a couple using ‘maddy’ before. :heart:

3 Likes

Check out mom and dad in other languages

3 Likes

I have a friend and her daughter calls her spouse mama and calls her mom

1 Like

Peggy Sheerin-hamill. Read comments from

Let them call them what they want. If their comfortable with Dad let them

6 Likes

I have no idea. That’s a hard one. What does your partner prefer?

Mommae" is what my god kids has always called their other mom…Hell I even call her that…:heavy_heart_exclamation:

1 Like

Are the kids aware that your spouse is transgender … I would let them say what they are comfortable with because the nick names the kids in my family give people are hilarious :joy::joy::joy::joy:

I’d sit ur partner and the kids down and figure out what works for everyone

1 Like

I’ve been told there are special parental terms for this scenario. Maybe a Google or ask on a Trans forum? Good luck x

1 Like

Maddy dom or let them choose their own name

My step sons call me, “Daddy Brook”. I’m a straight female :rofl:

17 Likes

I’m Meemaw to my four legged grands. My oldest sons girlfriends dogs and my sons dogs all know me by Meemaw , make up what you or he come up with. Whatever everyone is comfortable with.

1 Like

I had two dads. I called them daddy ed and daddy ken.

5 Likes

Mom, mommy, memmaw( the southern version) I always thought it was cute!!!

Ask them what they would like to be called, and get the kids to call them that? That’s something to talk to them about, and have a discussion, and I’d sit the kids down to and answer any questions they may have in a simple way.

I mean when I was a teenager I thought it was funny to just call my parents, parent.

7 Likes

You should all sit together and talk about what feels right. Maybe just their name or something like Mimi, mama, Dom, Didi. I do think the family would be better at figuring out what sounds better

2 Likes

First name! Or maybe a Nick bake they can make up themselves

My daughter’s husband is Norma and their children call Norma “daddy”. Very simple. And I call Norma “daughter in law”. She is priceless. :heart::heart:

4 Likes

Marmie (It’s what the girls called the mom from Little Women) it’s actually what my kiddos call their grandmother cause it was one of my favorite movies

1 Like

Whatever comes to them naturally and whatever she’s comfortable with

I like the Didi suggestion. Like Daddy, but more feminine.

6 Likes

Well I’d assume, since they are trans they go by he/him so I’d also assume he wouldn’t want to be called anything similar to mom, since that is feminine

How old are the kids? If they are like 2 or 3 it’s going to be tough to get them to call her a new name. Best you may be able to do is da instead of dad. Older you can do like mum or something like that to differentiate from mom

1 Like

My daughters father is also trans and she still calls her dad. But that was her decision before we even had our daughter, that she would still be dad

2 Likes

I’ve known kids to call one mom and the other mama

1 Like

This is the most confusing shit I’ve ever seen I thought you have to use the right pronouns for trans people & she’s saying her but the kids call her dad ? Wtf

How about mommy plus her name? My boys call their bonus mom Bri Mommy

So question… Are you trying to make the kids forget that’s actually their dad? Would a male name be off limits? How about mom-dad? It has a ring to it but idk if people get offended or whatever

1 Like

Did you ever think of…DAD? because HE has a PENIS?

Could you have one as mum and the other as mummy? Xx

If you go by mom, maybe mama, mum, or something similar but also different. Maybe look up mom in another language?

1 Like

I would have your partner talk to your kids and find something they are all comfortable with. This seems like a very personal family decision

1 Like

I know a family with a trans woman who was “daddy” for about 10 years they call her “DD” now.

4 Likes

I’d leave that between child and father. It’s their bond and relationship. And if dad wants to be known as dad is respect that xx

2 Likes

Mama, Mimi…really whatever they are comfortable with. :heart:

Dad’s are really - REALLY important too🥺

3 Likes

No matter what, eventually they will just call you bruh so it’s all good :joy:

20 Likes

Research what Mom s in other languages, particularly her heritage.

What do they call your partner now? Id stick with what they’re comfortable with…

If you have to ask,maybe it’s NOT a marriage just a partnership??

3 Likes

Depending on their age ask them. Also ask her what she’d like them to call her

Ask her and the kids what they would like to call her instead of dad. It can be as simple as momma or something that you make up together and it will be all that much more special for everyone.

1 Like

I’ve heard parents using mom and momma or mommy

It’s not just about your partner, it’s about your kids. Talk to them about what makes them feel comfortable or uncomfortable and compromise

3 Likes

Call her by her birth name, hello y’all are not married for them to be call her anything else.

2 Likes

Im just following.my sons dadand i havent been together since he was very small 16 years later he has 2 sets of parents.calls us all mom and dad we get along fairly well but he has a tendency to ask which 1 when i say ask your dad from what i hear he does the same to bio dad refering to step mom.lol

2 Likes

I have two moms I called one mama and the other mommy

3 Likes

Or make a cute nickname out of her name

I would settle on a nickname and leave it at that.

My cousin has a mammy and a mummy. Which as he’s getting older is becoming mum and mam. I think it’s rather cute they call her dad. I quite like the idea of looking for mother in another language too. I think some people here may have missed the point of the question, the way I read it is that they had had this baby together so therefore are equally the parents.

4 Likes

I’d say mom would be sufficient

Disgusting!! It’s you are an idiot to put your children in that position shame on you

32 Likes

Maybe ask your kids??? And what they are comfortable calling them :woman_shrugging:t2:

My children have 2 moms, they call me mommy and my wife mama :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

9 Likes

Much love for you continuing to support your partner through the transition. You might be better just sitting down with her and your children and brainstorm. Is their other parent comfortable remaining ‘dad’ or would she rather adjust her title to her gender?

1 Like

I’m gonna assume they were born male and then Trans to a women that’s how I’m getting it. One call u mom and the other one ma that’s how my friend does it although is momma for for and mom for the other

I’d go with whatever term has been used.
It doesn’t change anything

Pops? Pappy? I personally have a step dad and my bio dad so I had a daddy and dad. I had a friend who called one mom mommy and the other honey. My kids call their step mom baby. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Why not just his name.

3 Likes

First name initials ? .mom A…mom B …
Id have family meeting and see what the kids think tbh
Congratulations on your transition. Blessed be :heart:

1 Like

Patricia Elizabeth Sterner lol

Go with what YOUR CHILD/CHILDREN want to call them, if THEY are happy with it why change it :woman_shrugging:t3:

4 Likes

I’m confused does your partner identify as male or female? If male maybe pops or pop. If female maybe ma or mimi?

Parent. Guardian (of the…. Family??). Life sustainer. Our adult. The grown up.

Sophia Poulos save the children

1 Like

I know a same sex couple that one is called mommy and the other is dommy (dom me) it works for them.

So i know thia might not matter but is your partner their bio parent. And how old are your kids. Because it may be something thats hard for them to understand if she did the change after they were born

2 Likes

Are they changing to make or female, I’m confused. If you female, they could do Mama, Momma, Mimi, Ma, Mother…

My coworkers kids grew up with their aunt as their “mom” for 3/4 of their lives so they call their actual mom Nani

Call one of you mom and the other mommy mama or some other variation?

My stepchildren call me mommy J and their bm mommy A hope that helps

1 Like

Why not mom for you and mother for her

2 Likes

I’m in a same sex relationship and I am mama and my partner is mummy x

Pare, short for parent :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Why not let them decide, that way they’ll be comfortable with it

7 Likes

Mama “her name”. Like momma Trish.

1 Like

Let each of the kids decided…

1 Like

Mema, lovey, Lala just a few that came to mind :smiley:

We called them by their name. My moms husband has always been called Kevin. Never dad

3 Likes

Is your partner comfortable with being called dad ? Maybe it can stay like that. Or ask the kids what they’d like to call her

A trans man or trans women? If trans man i think dad is good. Trans women, hmmm maybe something cute with her name. Like mama so and so or something cute that is still parental.

Ask the kids to think of wha they would like to call her. If they pick it that makes it so much more sentimental

4 Likes

Some of these comments :roll_eyes:
I think you should let her and the kids decide together! I’m sure they can come up with something sweet

5 Likes

Is there a name your partner prefers? Mumma, ma, mother, mema Mimi, maybe a nick name thats cute. I don’t know if maybe there is a transgender parent page on Facebook that might be helpful. My second child is transgender and I’ve found a page that is super helpful.

I love when the kids on 911 call their moms “mama Henny and Mama so-n-so (can’t remember her name).
If it were me I would come up with something clever like the word for mom in some other language.

3 Likes