What causes irregular periods?

Depending on whether you’re hyper or hypo with your thyroid issues you can skip periods or they can vary in length by obscene amounts.

I have a hyperactive thyroid sometimes my cycles can vary between 45 days one cycle and 14 days the next.

1 Like

Babe you really need to see a gyno, I have had my thyroid removed and I’m on meds now but one issue with thyroid issues it can cause early dementia and early menopause. Because your levels sound well managed it’s probably unlikely that’s the case, but a gyno would be best to investigate…

My period will come almost like clock work for 3 to 4 months every 28 to 30 days then I’ll go to 35 days then bam 45+ days then right back to 28 to 30. Thats my regular nowadays. Been that way since my late 20’s

If you have put on weight it can happen I went six months with out them then they started again you should see a doctor but just to be safe

Mine have never been regular my whole life since the age of 8. Docs say hormones are most likely the issue because i don’t have anything else wrong.
But everyone is different and if you are truly concerned please go see your doctor.

May have fibroids. Sometimes you start late and other times you bleed heavy for month. Need to get a check up

1 Like

I have pcos . I have periods every 45 days . When I ovulate the day after my period that I won’t have again for 45 days which is roughly 6 weeks I still didn’t get a positive until 8 weeks pregnant .

Have you ever been on the depo shot I know after I got off of it, it messed my periods up for years after I got off of it, took it forever to get regulated!

quarantine is messing up our cycles. I had one period on Jan 1 then my next one started May 1. My daughter had the same issue

Give your body time to heal at this point. Even tho u had a great time on vacation doesn’t mean your body wasn’t stressed out n if it’s stressed out your period will be late. You could’ve texted too early also since your periods are irregular anyways. Just try relaxing.

Thyroids can cause them to be irregular

I missed mine when I was 18 for 3 months…I had a cyst a really big one i would get checked out…I thought I was pregnant back then…

Thyroid disorders can cause periods to be out of whack alone. However at one of my daughters endocrinology appts the dr said she might have PCOS since thyroid issues and PCOS go together and she was having menstrual problems.

Make sure you tell your doctor and get examined

Do you see an endocrinologist for your thyroid? Endocrinologists are the hormone doctors. Get checked for PCOS.

I find a new doc my doc office can get me in for same day appointments

1 Like

Weight gain or loss, stress, all different things cause me to be irregular

Combined with sore breasts sounds like pregnancy

I would say Maybie pcos but I’m not to sure just go doctors when you can x

Are u up to date on your pap?

Pcos? I have that and went 24 weeks without a period before :flushed: no bc or anything … if your unsure defo keep calling the doctor until u get an appt x

When I found out I was pregnant I had every symptom of my period without the bleeding I was atleast 3 weeks late and I tested positive and was 8 weeks when I found out.

PCOS or early endometriosis

Have you asked about PCOS?

If you are hypothyroid, that’s probably the cause. When not on BC I have like 3 periods a year. Did blood work once at my Gyno, and my prolactin was elevated and I was pregnant or breast feeding. The elevated prolactin was due to my hypothyroidism

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. What causes irregular periods? - Mamas Uncut

If you are losing blood this much then get your iron levels checked. Could be thyroid doing this

1 Like

I did that and they put me on meds to stop it and to regulate it. I thought I was going to bleed to death. I can’t remember the medicine name is been 20 plus years ago. Mine was cause by cyst on my ovaries

Transmadiec acid stops it

Go to a different doctor and have them do test.

3 Likes

This was me a couple years ago, I got a iud, turns out 3 years later it was placed wrong, has it removed can’t take anything else due to a blood clot once. Been tracking since last October Oct. 18 to Oct. 30

Nov.15 to Nov. 28

Dec. 12 to Dec. 23

Jan. 15 to Jan. 26

Feb. 25 to March 7

March 27 to April 7

Nothing in April

May 4 to May 7 light
May 8 to. May 15 Super heavy (a pad every 20 minutes)
May 16 & May 17 light brown

June 1 to June 3 light
June 4 to Super heavy (a pad every 20 minutes)

Finally having a full hysterectomy end of July

I have PCOS and had similar problems. Birth control actually made it worst for me. I ended up making an endocrinologist / gynecologist appt (she specializes in both, specifically i think it’s women’s health / infertility / endocrinology). She put me on progesterone for 10 days a month every month and it legit fixed the problems I’ve been struggling with since I was 16. I’m 36 now.

1 Like

How old are you? Could be peri menopause, if you are finished having children talk to your dr about a uterine ablation, best thing I ever did for myself!! Have now bled since I had mine!

3 Likes

I actually went to ER because I have been bleeding for months. They gave me medication but the bleeding hasn’t stopped. Although I am spotting. I would recommend just going to the ER my doctor was useless in helping me.

2 Likes

I had this issue and it was a fibroid. I got a hysterectomy 2 months later. The only thing that stopped the bleeding was norethidrone, something like that name. A week after my prescription ended I’d be bleeding again. Ask the dr for an ultrasound to check for fibroids.

This happened to me since I was 13… periods lasted 3 weeks at times until I got on the pill… turns out I have pcos.

Happened to me after my 3rd, dr put me on high doses of birth control and it stopped. Definitely recommend going and getting seen.

I bleed more on birth control. I would go back to the gyno

I’ve suffered with pcos for years ever since I can remember to be honest. It’s hard. They should be doing a variety of tests such as your thyroid a CA125 which can indicate cancer or endometrial issues or just reproductive issues. They need to check your estrogen and testosterone levels as well just to rule out any imbalances. If its hurting and you’re bleeding this much you can always ask for an ultrasound as well…with that it should be able to look at your fallopian tubes and can detect any masses that may be on the tissues of your cervix. But absolutely get an ultrasound done

1 Like

I’m on birth control atm and they also put me on metformin. You could also ask for a hysterosalpinography which looks at your endometrial tissues mainly if the problem keeps occurring

Very irresponsible of the doctor to not do testing but diagnose you. You need to find a doctor that will actually do testing.

4 Likes

Shes right the last doctor I seen was a pompous asshole and threw out everything I wanted to do like it didnt matter. I changed doctors haha

Endometriosis caused mine

And if you’re bleeding that much I would honestly stop taking your birth control it may be adding extra hormones which boosting your endometrium to shed more than it should. Kinda like when a pregnant woman is given oxytocin to induce contractions.

1 Like

I would find a new Dr…

My sister had big cyst on her ovaries n they had to do surgery … She bleed for few months . be for they found it

KaSandra. It’s not just us.

1 Like

I did this on & off for years… Had to end up changing docs…was told I had endometriosis & could not get pregnant… I ended up pregnant & miscarried… this ended up getting worse & then was diagnosed with cervical cancer… Go see another doctor or tell your doc you want testing done…

Please try visiting another doctor. I had a similar situation but mines was caused by DEPO shot I was taking. Sometimes birth control can make the situation worse than it already was.

I have pcos and I bled for 3 months straight and it got so bad I was basically hemorrhaging they put me on the pill without any testing and it took a few months for the pill to start working but it did end up regulating me good luck with everything

Well I was pregnant and had bleeding

What birth control did the doctor put u on and how long has it been since you’ve been on it ?!

My mom was on her period for 3 months at a time and it was always super heavy.

I had my baby in sept 2019 and had my first period a month later. Bled for 10 MONTHS STRAIGHT after!!! I went to dr many times had lots of test and such…never found a reason why it happened I tried birth control it made it worse so we stopped it after 3 months and eventually I slowly stopped bleeding and now I’m having normal periods. Still no idea why it happened

You may have uterine fibroids. They cause you to bleed a long time

You could also be having an eptopic pregnancy as they don’t usually show up on a test and needs to be found by ultrasounds ect. If that’s the case you need to go see another dr today and be checked as it could result in death.

You need to find a new dr & quickly.

Did you take the jab? Or have you been around anyone who did take the jab? They have been saying that that can be the cause. I have a niece and her daughter who had the same thing happen to them. They didn’t take the jab, but they have been around their mother a lot and she did take it. They had blood clots the size of your fist. But by all means seek another doctor and demand an ultra sound. A person is not suppose to loose that much blood.

7 Likes

You need blood work and a new doctor. I hope you saw a gynecologist, if not get to one asap

Have you had your thryoid checked ? If not, do so

I would be trying to find a new Dr.

I had to have a hysterectomy when I was 35 for this
Greatest favor I ever done myself. Hope you get help. Love and prayers.

1 Like

I had this problem after getting my tubes tied. finally had to get an endometrial ablation and cauterization. everything is just peachy now.:two_hearts:

1 Like

You need a pap to check for cervical abnormalities

I would definitely get a 2nd opinion. I had irregular ones and it was my thyroid, then several years later I would go 2 weeks be off few days and start again and passing bigger than half dollar size clots, was told it was bc I was premenopausal, I went and got a 2nd opinion, she listened to me and did internal ultrasound and saw some cysts and abnormal growth, had a hysterectomy and turns out I had adenmyosis, and not premenopausal yet.

1 Like

maybe u had a miscarriage. u shd see a different doctor

Nuvaring for me … still feel like my uterus will fall out but its only for 3 to 5 days not 3 weeks at a time

You should really just go to the emergency room. My sister in law ended up being rushed to the hospital and need idk how many blood transfusions due to loosing so much blood on her period. but she was in rough shape but she is also a vegetarian which was affecting her iron she’s on the bigger side and I do belive she genuinely has pcos but I’m not a dr but really wish you would go to the er

Unfortunately pcos can severely mess with your menstrual cycle. It can cause you to go months without a period, or have periods that are several months long. For some birth control does help, and others it doesn’t do a thing.

I went thru this after getting my tubes tied. After bleeding for a month straight the doctor did a test on my uterus, and found out I still had placenta inside of it, they finally decided to do a dnc and endometrial ablation and cauterization. Never had a problem since!

1 Like

Ibuprofen 800 mg every six hours 3 times a day.

1 Like

I’d get a 2nd opinion or go to the ER

Find a new dr. Nobody on fb will be able to give you any real answers.

1 Like

Get a second opinion from a good OBGYN. This isn’t normal, nor healthy.

1 Like

I did this for several months also. It ended up being endometriosis. I had a laparoscopy surgery. That along with birth control pills controlled it for awhile. I ended up having 3 laparoscopy surgeries and finally had a hysterectomy. This was a 17 year journey to finally get relief. Hope you get some answers and relief.

I would get a second opinion. With all that blood loss, you are most likely anemic. Please get help.

New Dr, I did something similar and almost died. Had emergency hysterectomy for my issues. There were few other circumstances that made mine necessary.

I’ve had 2- 9 month periods and 2- 6 month periods and it’s awful. I have pcos.

O wow :clap: take care of yourself God bless :pray:

Please ask for a referral to an OB I had this problem and regular docs just think it’s no big deal but when I finally got the referral they treated it very seriously. I was anemic and had to have iron injections which suck! I got an the Bc shot of every 3 months even though I’d had my tubes tied. Insurance didn’t want to pay for it my docs office paid for it for 1 & 1/2 years. I finally had a partial hysterectomy which solved the problem. Sorry for the novel but please see the OB you’ll save yourself so much hassle.

I was bleeding like that had to have polyps removed to stop and slow bleeding i was almost point taking extra clothes to work with me. U might have some problems like this or more but see a dr tofind out for sure

I had the same issues for year i was changing every hr if i was lucky 2 went threw a bunch of testing to find out i needed a hysterectomy at the age of 29 due to endometriosis

Bled for like a year straight, nothing was ever found wrong. My body just hated me

Cysts, hormone inballace, pcos, endometriosis, tilted uterus, inviromental factors, and stress.

Endometrial ablation! I was the same way with horrible cramps as well as blood staying so low all the time doctors were always trying to give me blood. Bc pills, shots , patches nothing worked. Had the ablation done after years of suffering and I am telling you it is a life changer!!

1 Like

Yes. They told me the same thing. I’m about at the point of taking my uterus out.

I had my period for three months and I went to my gyno who did some blood and sent me to a hematologist and that’s where I found out that I had hereditary elliptocytosis

Get a second opinion and birth control can make bleed up to 6 months.

I have PCOS and I had at least 7 vials of blood to confirm it. You might want to look for another dr

You need to see a new doctor. PCOS needs testing, not assumptions. It could also have been a miscarriage, and your body hasn’t passed all the placenta yet. You could go into shock. You might need a d+c

Endometriosis or change of life … how old are u ?

Have you ever gotten you thyroid checked out?

Get off the birth control ASAP! Not sure what you’re on but when I took Depo it did the same thing to me!
I just found out I have endometriosis ask your doc to check everything!

You need a different doctor.

1 Like

Victoria Moskal just reading through the comments look at all these issues, just like the symptoms you’ve had.

The birth control didn’t work for me either. Had a D&C…didnt help…ended up putting me on megestrol…Started out taking 4 a day and had to be spread out 6 hrs apart or I would start bleeding again…I have weaned my self down to 4 a week now but have not had any problems for like 10 years

I would go get a second opinion. This isn’t normal, and if you’re truly losing that much blood you’re more than likely anemic at this point.

1 Like

Did you get the vaccine?

After my first child was born i was on mine for 14 months straight, no matter what they done nothing helped, 3.5 years later I had my second and done the same for 9 months. My doctor wouldn’t even see me anymore because I had to go so much that I racked up so many bills. It’s was horrible so I found another doctor and they did a hysterectomy, it was my last option!!

First of all, this is the only comment i think I’ve seen on here without someone laughing and being a dick! So yay! Anywho, get a second opinion. Yes, it may be pcos but still bleeding for months straight isn’t good. When i first started my period (age 12) I bled for an entire year straight. My grandmother raised me so I was too embarrassed to tell her, but by that year Mark I couldn’t get out of bed, couldn’t do really anything I was so weak. Went to the dr, and they did put me on birth control to help regulate. I do have pcos, but regardless, bleeding still, after the birth control, you need a second opinion, and some other treatment