What causes painful intercourse 4 weeks postpartum?

So I am 4 weeks pp after my c section. I tried to have sex with my hubby. My vagina hurt so bad and I’m not sure why. I didn’t deliver vaginally. Does anyone know why?

287 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. What causes painful intercourse 4 weeks postpartum? - Mamas Uncut

1 Like

Your hormones are still all wonky. Which makes you super dry and your tissue not easily stretched. Give yourself time to heal before trying again.

12 Likes

That happened with me and I ended up in labor and delivery and I had a severe kidney infection

1 Like

Maybe because you’re not supposed to be having intercourse yet? As far as I know you’re supposed to wait 6 weeks, let your body heal from that trauma

41 Likes

Bc you’re supposed to wait at least 6 weeks, if not longer especially after a c-section.

28 Likes

It takes longer to recover :woozy_face:

11 Likes

Because you are only 4 weeks pp. Give your body time to heal

10 Likes

Because you had sex to early. Wait the 6 weeks and take it easy when trying, if it hurts, add lube, if that doesn’t help stop and try again another day. If that doesn’t help then make a appointment with your gynecologist/OB so they can check to make sure everything is okay

Well seeing as it’s only been 4 weeks lol

3 Likes

You shouldn’t have sex until at least 6 weeks post partum. You aren’t fully healed

Last i knew (i am a c section momma) you’re not spose to have sex until you’re healed…

Because you are rushing

4 Likes

I was the same the first couple of times too. It’s just hormones. Use plenty of lubricant. I was 4 weeks postpartum with the first one and 3 weeks with the next 2. Mine were all c sections

6 Likes

You’re suppose to wait 6 weeks. Regardless of csection or vaginally birth your body is still healing. Maybe lay off intercourse until you’re fully completely healed and get the green light from the doctor first. Common sense

42 Likes

4 weeks is too early!

3 Likes

That you are 4 weeks PP I was advised to wait a minimum of 6 weeks

2 Likes

Because you’re having sex at 4 weeks PP :face_with_raised_eyebrow: sex is PAINFUL at 4 weeks PP, yes even CS… :expressionless::expressionless::expressionless:

1 Like

Try following discharge instructions

13 Likes

Even though you had a c section, you had major surgery. You also have a plate sized wound in your body that doesn’t fully heal until around 6-8 weeks. Your body needs time to recover.

8 Likes

:woman_facepalming:t2: they tell you to wait 6 weeks for a reason :joy:

5 Likes

Ok so no one mentioned your uterus is trying to get back to normal. You not only have an open wound/stitches from c section but the placenta left a huge open wound inside your uterus.

13 Likes

Happened to me too… shit hurt for like weeks after!! I Definitely should’ve waited longer :laughing::joy:

Give your body time to heal. The drs are supposed to tell you not to have intercourse til you 6 weeks+ pp. It dont matter if its a c-section or natural birth. Your body needs to heal. Prayers that the pain will go away soon.

2 Likes

They say 6 weeks for a reason :woman_facepalming:

3 Likes

You have a wound the size of a dinner plate that is healing inside you, it takes min 6 weeks before you should attempt doing anything and can sometime take longer.

9 Likes

That’s why you’re supposed to wait…

4 Likes

6-8 weeks especially with a C-section, even though it’s not a vaginal birth you’re still swollen down there. And need time to heal. This is coming from a 2x c section mom soon to be 3rd. Layers of your skin, and muscle were separated to have your baby, they need time to come back together. Please give your body time to heal. Per Dr advice it Can lead to infection if you don’t wait.

11 Likes

Because you are supposed to wait at least 6 weeks. Like seriously TF is wrong with some of you.

19 Likes

you are suppose to wait 6wks. Having it at 4wks isn’t good at all. Don’t need to get right back into let your body heal before having it.

11 Likes

4 weeks is too early you should give yourself 6-8 weeks after giving birth.

4 Likes

4 weeks is why. The Dr isn’t saying that just to hear himself speak

11 Likes

Too early. Doesn’t matter if you had a vaginal Birth. Your pelvic floor just suffered trauma and your body is wounded.

8 Likes

I waited 2 weeks after my c section. And I ended up with a really bad infection. It was horrible. I decided to listen with my last baby so it didn’t happen again. .

6 Likes

Didn’t your doctor/midwife/whatever cover this?
Way too early girl. You just had a whole human 4 weeks ago.

10 Likes

Everyone chill. You don’t have to wait 6-8 weeks. You can do it once you feel up to it. 6-8 weeks is only a recommendation

15 Likes

Hormones ! Bit to early . If you do be gentle and use heaps of lube.

You have a dinner sized plate wound inside of you. It’s just too soon.

2 Likes

They didn’t tell you at the hospital to wait 6+weeks for sex?

I hope you don’t end up with a infection. Please tell your doctor and get checked to make sure everythings okay. Can be deadly if you get an infection. Praying all is well.

No sex at all, your uterus still worked to deliver and needs to heal, as well as your vagina.

I figured out it was dryness. Try using some coconut oil or plenty of lube and see if it helps. Just remember to breath and relax. Anticipating pain can make you tighten up and not in a good way

1 Like

Tut it will be up to three months before u try it…Abi u no fit endure?

6 weeks recommended for a reason.

6 Likes

Uhhh to early that’s what🤨

5 Likes

I waited the full 8 weeks and more before i tried to have sex… All the tissue they have to cut through there is no way your healed at 4!!!They tell u to wait for a reason!!!

If you can’t do any other activities until you’re cleared, sex should definitely come after those things.

It’s not recommended to get intimate until 6 weeks or until your cervix is closed. You risk a pulmonary embolism, infection and getting pregnant again.

Your cervix is still open soo you probably aren’t healed yet.

12 Likes

4 weeks is what causes that. Not following your doctors instructions causes that. Did you want the rest of the list too or?

12 Likes

Your pelvic floor. It’s actually an issue for many women.

1 Like

Way too early. Most drs say at least 6 weeks.

2 Likes

You literally hace a dinner plate sized wound in u

2 Likes

There is a reason doctors say to wait! If you wont listen to them, you darn sure shouldn’t listen to strangers on social media! :woman_facepalming::woman_shrugging:

25 Likes

I had 3 csections. Each one I was told to wait 8-10 weeks for sex… so your body probably isn’t ready yet

:grimacing::grimacing: that’s way too early. You could end up with a really bad infection also.

3 Likes

Girl it’s not that serious, Just wait the six weeks🙄

5 Likes

You’re supposed to wait 6 weeks after having a c section.

3 Likes

This has to be a joke.
I can’t believe a woman is asking this!?
:woman_facepalming:

3 Likes

That’s normal still…. Your uterus has a giant wound on it and still has a lot of healing left to do at 4 weeks PP…. And it went through Trauma not to mention there is the possibility you weren’t around and wet enough

2 Likes

A dinner plate size, gaping wound inside of your lower abdomen…:roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

4 Likes

talk to your doctor, that’s an issue! especially since you had a cc. Have you talked to your doctor about it? it’s unusual after 4 weeks.

Regardless if you deliver vaginally or by cesarean, your uterus was left with a gaping hole the size of a dinner plate. You need TIME to heal or you risk pain/infection. Good to those who didn’t get infected or didn’t hurt when not waiting but the risk is still there, plus the discomfort.

7 Likes

You’re kidding right… :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I started having sex 4 weeks after my son. It was so painful I was crying. I thought I did it to early but no, turns out I have a golf ball sized lump in my uterine wall right where it meets the cervix. My ob still doesn’t know what it is, after tons of tests. I’m now 8 months pp and it still hurts

Wtf…I thought even waiting 6 weeks wasn’t long enough… How the heck did you even want to try. C-section healing process is hard on your body. Why risk it?

8 Likes

There’s a reason they tell you to wait 6-8 weeks!!!

4 Likes

They cute through layers of your skin
It’s takes time to heal that wall

It’s been 3 years since my c section
And certain positions still hurt

You literally have a gaping hole inside you. There is definetly a reason they tell you to wait.

4 Likes

Well, I’ll be the odd one out. I never waited (3 births -csections. 4 kids last were twins). The longest I did wait was 4 weeks because it was after the twins and we were just exhausted. But it’s just because everything is still healing.

2 Likes

Wait the full size weeks , and if you still don’t feel like your ready wait some more. Let your body heal.

3 Likes

You’re not supposed to have sex for 6 weeks

Not only can you get a major infection if you have sec early but your incision could open up. Let yourself heal. 6 weeks at least

5 Likes

Have a break, usual wait is 6 weeks.

1 Like

You what?! The reason they say not to for at least six weeks is because you can get an infection plus you got a wound the size of a melon where the baby was. Regardless of weather you had a c section or not. It is advised to NOT have intercourse for at least six weeks. Go to the drs. You’ve probably caused some extra damage and have possibly made your recovery longer.

11 Likes

I only waited 3 weeks and your still sore depends on the person if it’s to painful wait another 2 weeks

1 Like

Your not fully healed yet. Instead of vaginal intercouse find other ways to satisfy each other until you are healed and recovered from surgery. Your body just went through a lot!

4 Likes

Is sex really worth a possible life threatening infection? Especially when you have a newborn? Genuinely asking because a lot of women in these groups don’t listen and don’t wait and it just baffles me. It makes me wonder if y’all are in abusive marriages because if he’s that worried about getting some that he doesn’t worry about what it could do to you, that’s just selfish and irresponsible.

I hope she has better judgment when raising her children than she has now

5 Likes

Sometimes I wonder if these are real questions from real people :thinking:

24 Likes

Because you are supposed to wait 6 weeks postpartum at least sometimes more especially for a csection. That is major surgery.

8 Likes

Whether she waited 4 weeks, it’s gonna hurt the first few times you do it regardless! Just go slow the first few times and use lube. You will be dry for awhile after baby but I promise it gets better.

I literally waited 6 MONTHS before even trying after a c-section… the absolute thought of then scared the hell out of me

6 Likes

6 weeeeeeks not 4 lol, no matter how you delivered.

10 Likes

Probably because you had sex at only 4 weeks postpartum.

That’s how u die of infection u have a gaping hole inside u

13 Likes

What you are doing is very risky. You are not fully healed yet from major surgery or the trauma of birth in general, c-section or not. You are incredibly prone to infection right now, and, as I didn’t see it mentioned while I skimmed, you are also VERY fertile. A pregnancy so shortly after another is also incredibly risky, for you and the next baby. Please speak to your doctor and take their advice!! Your baby needs you!

10 Likes

…being 4 weeks post partum.

8 Likes

Oh idk maybe because you just birthed a whole ass Human 4 WEEKS ago

Just couldn’t wait huh?

6 Likes

We did it 2 months after my c section - hubby was even more scared than I was

I’ve had 3 c sections and my doctors have all told me the damage that can be caused from intercourse can create life long problems. 4 weeks is too soon u literally had ur pelvic floor cut open and a baby removed along with ur organs moved, and between 200-500 internal stitches in order to deliver safely a month is not enough time. Don’t risk it

9 Likes

You both doing that is legitimately dangerous

5 Likes

You’re FOUR WEEKS POSTPARTUM THAT’S WHY

11 Likes

Instead of asking Facebook trying calling your doctor and take their advice of waiting at least 6 weeks

17 Likes

Where’s the face palm emoji :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

In australia it’s recommended no sex for 6 weeks pp vaginally and 12 weeks pp after c section

Maybe you didn’t wait long enough and that’s why it hurts

Reading this really hurt… my insides.

5 Likes

Your placenta left a huge wound inside of your uterus in addition to the large incision that was made in your abdomen. It hurts because you’re not healed and your body isn’t ready yet.

9 Likes

It shouldn’t hurt terribly. I had 3 C-sections…sex after didn’t hurt at all. You should def bring it up to your doctor.

Even with a c section you need to wait

3 Likes

Number one you’re supposed to wait 6 weeks before you have sex, regardless