What causes toenails and fingernails to randomly fall off?

Two of my children have fingernails, and toenails are randomly falling off. I’ve only ever seen 1 or 2 nails fall off at a time because they were slammed in a door or something before, but nothing like this. They haven’t slammed their fingers or stumped their toes, but they’re falling off. My little boy has two toenails and three fingernails coming off, and my girl has two fingernails and one toenail coming off. Has anyone ever seen this before? Or have any advice to take care of it.

104 Likes

Hi so i read your post and i miust say to call your doctor. Im going through the same thing but the doctor ended up calling child protective services on me. I would definitely take your kids to see a doctor cause i dont want you going through court for the same thing as me or have them taken away.im fighting so hard to get my son back. If u want please email me [email protected] or text my phone 252-315-9176

Why post here and not take them to a doctor that would be the smart thing to do something is happening internally that is causing it

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. https://answers.mamasuncut.com/t/what-causes-toenails-and-fingernails-to-randomly-fall-off/11292

My daughter went through this and her doctor said it was something genetic I cant remember what they called it but it went away now that she is older

2 Likes

I’d get them to a doctor.

6 Likes

This is…terrifying. Please take them to a doctor ASAP

1 Like

Vitamin Defiency is something I would look into, speak to your dr

3 Likes

If they had hand foot and mouth they can have nails fall off a little while after they had it

5 Likes

Playing in sand can do this… happened with my daughter. Skin is too dry. Tons of lotion

talk to a doctor not some random people on FB

4 Likes

I kept losing toenails when I was on meds

Doctor, get them both to the doctors

4 Likes

If they recently catch hand foot and mouth disease the fingernails usually fall off. Have they had a rash like 1-2 months ago? If so that maybe the reason

When I was about 3 or 4 I hit my foot on the coffee table and all 10 toenails fell off. No idea why and they never bleed or anything. They grew back perfectly normal

My sons pediatrician said hand foot and mouth can cause your child’s finger nails and toe nails to fall off. Shocked the s*** outta me!!!

My sons fingernails fell off when he was younger and had hand foot and mouth

As a child I experienced this usually when they fell off a nail was already there. Never went to the doctors . Usually happened during summer. And at the end of summer my feet would peel. Only as a child it happened!

My daughter and nieces went through that and found out it was a bacterial infection from being in a pool and or hot tub that didn’t have the chemical balance correct.after a week of antibiotics they started to heal but took for ever for the nails to come back

Maybe a vitamin deficiency? I would just suggest they see their pediatrician as soon as possible it’s definitely not normal

1 Like

Could be low on vitamin D defiency .
You need to go see their doctor and have them do a blood test work up and let the doctor know you want them to be tested for vitamin D defiency.

2 Likes

Hand, foot and mouth…

1 Like

As a nurse, I would suggest making an appointment with their pediatrician ASAP and not take medical advice from strangers on FB. Not saying anyone was incorrect bc I didn’t read the comments, just saying, this is definitely something that needs brought to their Drs attention.

Its important to see the doctor just in case its something more serious.

1 Like

Check into Onocholysis.

Maybe fungal my fingernail suddenly turned green had a hole and ringworm on the finger. The nail is growing underneath

My son lost all of his nails on hands and feet when he had hand foot and mouth. It was so bad.

Mine lost almost all his toenails when he had hand foot and mouth…I would talk with your pediatrician

2 Likes

It’s fungus my toe nail used to fall off too and Dr game me fungus spray never again

Sometimes its a reacyion to meds, sometimes it can mean skin or fungal infections/issues. Or it van by a sign of a overacrivr thyriod gland

1 Like

Take them to the doctors! I literally call my doctor or health visitor about anything I’m unsure of when it comes to my boys health. Always better safe than sorry!!

1 Like

My little girl lost 1 toenails n 4 on her hands she had really bad foot n mouth n caused blisters underneath the nail bed that when better they fell off x

I have never lost a nail without trauma to it. Sounds like some Erin brockovich cancer in the water shit… Please see a doctor!

My daughter now 22 has an iron deficiency and her whole life her toe nails would just fall off randomly and when I took her to the Dr as a child the called it peeling nails due to her iron deficiency!

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. https://answers.mamasuncut.com/t/what-causes-toenails-and-fingernails-to-randomly-fall-off/11292

Hand, foot, mouth disease is what caused my daughters fingernails to do that.

First thing I would do is call the Dr I would ask them to check for lead poisoning although it’s pretty obsolete lead can still be found in some paints ect…

GO TO THE DOCTOR AND STOP ASKING FACEBOOK #badparent

Ask their pediatrician. That’s the best person to get advice from about your kids health issues.

16 Likes

Could be a nail fungus

3 Likes

Definitely speak to their doctor.

8 Likes

Ya, don’t ask a bunch of strangers about your kids health. Take your kid to a doctor.

25 Likes

My guess would be something environmental? Something they’re eating/drinking? Idk nails tell you about your health tho I would get it checked out myself.

It’s common to lose them after having “handfoot and mouth disease”

8 Likes

Get them to a dr. Could be a few things…

2 Likes

My daughter lost a couple after having a bad case of hand foot and mouth but that’s the only time.

Call their pediatrician. But some reasons may be nail fungus or psoriasis, which can cause the kid’s nails to fall off.

3 Likes

Sounds like a fungus

1 Like

Not a child but those happened to me, went to the drs for a blood test and my Vit D was pretty much non existent, so was put on high level of Vit D for 10 weeks. Definitely would say call the dr x

My Daughter is a nurse and when people in our family ask her medical advice she says, GO TO THE DR!!

Poison…antifreeze
Sorry, I watch to much forensic files. Seriously take them in to the doctor right away.

9 Likes

Why I haven’t used ask the doctor what are you waiting for

1 Like

The fact its happening to more than one child and often I would get them tested for a number of things by a doctor.
Dont mess around or waste time :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Guys, I’m sure she has called the drs. She’s probably just asking to set her mind at ease while she waits for the appointments. Some of you are real quick to judge others that you know absolutely nothing about.

32 Likes

Please see a dermatologist it could be fungus or psoriasis

1 Like

Get them to the Dr asap

5 Likes

Hand foot mouth disease look up my kids had this

Take you kids to the doctor need check calcium level is not normal,o a fungus iam a nurse never hear that but doctor know best

Can be Coxsackie virus

3 Likes

When my kids had hand foot mouth they both lost a few nails. The dr said that if they have high fevers, it could kill the nail fibers but it slowly falls off. My son had HFM in June and didn’t start loosing any until like August-ish. My daughter was a bit quicker, maybe like a few weeks. They weren’t sick at the same time either. Good luck!

Get advice from a doctor not Facebook. This is your kids health your dealing with. Why in the world would you ask total strangers.

Do you have gas appliances? The only thing I could think of would be under oxygenation

1 Like

Omg really go to a doctor and get your children checked out don’t ask random people really!!! SMH

6 Likes

Lead poisoning… take children to ER now

2 Likes

Damn this is a mom’s group, she just asking for opinions like you would do your friends or family. I’m sure she gonna take her kids to the doctor’s office

14 Likes

Nutrient deficiencies.

3 Likes

Low iron happened to my granddaughter.

Something like severe iron deficiency could cause this along with a viarty of other medical illness’. I would most definitely be contacting their doctor!

Common if they just got over hand foot mouth.

2 Likes

Have they had hand, foot and mouth disease in the past few months? That can cause it

Take them to the doctor, or at least talk to one…

2 Likes

Could be hand foot and mouth? Call the pediatrician. Is there bumps on palms of hands or anywhere else on body? (My nephew had it once with bumps on genitals)

Take them to the doctor !!!

3 Likes

Probably fungi infection can cause that

Surprisingly Psoriasis can cause that

2 Likes

Lack of proteins can cause that as well

Lack of something in their diet? Definitely doctor if both kids have the same issue.

4 Likes

When i was in 5th grade I had hand foot and mouth disease and lost all my fingernails and toeneails.

3 Likes

So many things can cause this…
Their doctor should be doing blood work too figure it out and the sooner the better

4 Likes

Definitely something they need to be seen about ASAP. Like why is this even a fb question 🤦

5 Likes

Take them to the doctor as soon as you can. Who knows what they both have with nails falling off like that.

1 Like

If they have had a virus recently it can cause that nail damage or loss. My child had a severe case of HFM and lost every fingernail and toenail and I took him to the dermatologist and they said it happens sometimes with viral infections. They didn’t do anything for it but said if infection presents they would but it did not.

1 Like

Hand foot and mouth disease will make the nails fall off. My little man had it. They will also get small bumps around the mouth and sometimes on hands and feet. I would deffinetely take them to a dr.

1 Like

Take them to the doctor

1 Like

You should ask their doctor, have you?

Hand foot and mouth disease

Stop asking Facebook, FFS go to the DOCTOR.:rage:

9 Likes

Have they had Scarlett fever in the last couple of months? My son apparently had strep throat that turned into Scarlett fever. He never showed symptoms of strep. We found out he had Scarlett fever when his finger tips started pealing dramatically. Later his finger nails started falling off

1 Like

Fungus could be one reason

1 Like

HFM or antibiotic reaction, this happened to my oldest son when he was like 2 with both things going on at the same time.

Please take them to the doctor. A number of viruses, bacteria’s and funguses could cause this.

Hand foot and mouth. Watch for blisters between fingers and toes and in the mouth. My son lost every single nail and some of his hair fell out when he had it when he was about four.

3 Likes

When my son was little his dad bought him those gummy multivitamins for kids. A few weeks later he started losing fingernails. The vitamins were the only thing added to his diet. We just stopped giving them and when he’s an adult I’ll remind him so he’s aware.

2 Likes

My little boy had this about 4 weeks after he hand foot n mouth, was horrible to watch and some were painful but apparently it’s a side affect of it

4 Likes

Could also be low iron

If they had hand foot mouth anytime the last couple of months, this can be a lingering symptom. Harmless and they’ll grow back. Happened to my daughter once.

6 Likes

Everyone saying go to the doctor but some people don’t realize how good their insurance is compared to others. Y’all should be more kind

10 Likes

So many causes fungal, bacterial infections, exposure to chemicals.

2 Likes

And your asking Facebook!?! For some reason instead of being smart and calling a freaking DOCTOR!!! Omg :flushed:

8 Likes