What could be causing my daughters headaches?

I always get headaches a week before my period and the week of. Always have. I suffer from migraines a lot.

1 Like

Get her eyes checked.

2 Likes

I suffer from migraines since i was 12 also still have them and cant get them to go away go to the dr and get her checked

It happens to me every time. But I would still take her to the dr just in case.

1 Like

Migraine. Take her to her dr and let them decide for sure. It may be something else altogether. Please take her in to be sure. It could be hormones or something in the head.

1 Like

Iā€™ve suffered with migraines since I was in primary school and was referred to the childrenā€™s hospital . They prescribed me preventive medication. I was never sick with them but felt sick however was sick a couple of years back with a migraine so was referred to the QE and am now under there care for them . Have had to have numerous attempts at preventive medications and nerve blocking injections along with mriā€™s just to rule out nothing else was going on with the change in symptoms . They can be awful having them so it may stand a good chance that sheā€™s experiencing them x

Iā€™m sure her Dr might be the best person to answer that question. Also you could try the eye Dr next ( sometimes eye problems can give you migraines and that will also make you nauseous)
Good luck! I hope she gets better soon

I had symptoms like this at 10 for a whole year and then I got my period. I still get nauseous and migraines around my monthly now so it could be that as well

1 Like

Ohh deff worth a doctors trip. I live with that shit daily and mines from chiari malformation. Which can effect any and all ages. Worth a quick trip to the doctors I hope she feels better! Iā€™ve also been hit with the stomach bug going around :confused: zero fun!

take her to her pediatrician and make her an appointment with a gynecologist

sounds like migraine

Migraines can be triggered by the estrogen decrease right before a period. They can also be triggered by dehydration, caffeine, sugar, chocolate or even too much ibuprofenā€¦ maybe have her keep a log of her headaches. It may be linked to her period or what she is eating. Magnesium helps a lot with migraines! Another tip is cold on the back of your neck with heat on your feet or hands.

1 Like

Keep some Pamprin on hand, always helped me with my ā€œmonthlyā€ headache

Yes, my big sister used to get really sick with vomiting etc Vaneida Soto. My little sister also gets really sick and nauseous.

Talk to her doctor. My daughter had headaches like that just before & after she started her cycle. She had SILENT MIGRAINES! She actually lost her vision for a couple of hours. Scared the devil out of us! The only reason we discovered what was going on was because one of my co workers had the same issue

2 Likes

It could be migraines.

My daughter always threw up with her periods (every month). Now that she is a bit older and on birth control it has stopped

When i was 14 i would constantly get horrible headaches after countless appointments it turned out i had a benign tumor on my pituitary gland

Periods definitely can do this, but also sounds like me when I didnā€™t realize I needed glasses when I was 18. Maybe get her eyes checked to make sure she doesnā€™t need glasses and/or if she has glasses to make sure theyā€™re to right ones.

1 Like

Low iron maybe hormones I used to get migraines when I was a kidā€¦ have you checked everywhere for mold?

My sister had this happen when she was younger, it was caused by her eyesight. She would get sever migraines that would make her throw up. She ended up needing glasses. It helped alot! She still gets them from time to time but not near as many or as sever.

1 Like

Have her eyes checked i get terrible headaches and nausea when i dont wear my glasses

She might need eye :nerd_face: glasses

Could she be pregnant ?

Sounds like a migraine. And it could definitely be set off from hormones. I used to get them around the tike of my period. Get her to the dr so they can get her something to help. And stock up on icepacks for the back of her neck when she gets one.

Take her to doctors as soon as possible :blush:

1 Like

Yes. I had that every other month for the first year. My mother tried everything to help it stop. In the end I went on birth control and it regulated it. Vomiting and headaches stopped. When I got married, I went off birth control and it picked right back up. I never could get pregnant (endometriosis) adopted 3 kids and had a hysterectomy. You will find what is right for her. My adopted daughter is now going through the same thing. But birth control is not helping.

Both my kids and I get migraines from sinus and allergies it can also cause vomiting and nausea from allergies draining in your throat

Her back or neck could be out I know when my daughters neck and back is out she gets headaches and throws up and canā€™t eat.

1 Like

So wait let me get this straight how old are these girls on birth control and y my daughter is 18 and is def not on birth control is it a trust issue or what that sounds like great parenting :unamused::unamused:šŸ¤¦šŸ¤¦šŸ¤¦

I have had migranes from around 11 I donā€™t get period cramps I get migranes and sickness itā€™s horrible xx

2 Likes

I used to get bad migraines as a teenager that would cause me to throw up. It was hormones. Definitely track everything to find a pattern for it, and see a doctor.

My daughter got nauseous and terrible headaches when she first started and for about a year after. I would also suggest checking eyes and teeth, those 2 issues caused my othrr child to have bad headaches and nausea from the pain

1 Like

I started getting migraines in grade 3 (so age 9 or 10 I believe) from the change in weather systems. I used to know when a storm was coming because I would get severe migraines that if not ā€œcaught in timeā€ (meaning taking medication or going into a dark room with no light or sound and try to fall asleep) I would end up throwing up. The migraines have lessened over the years as Iā€™m 28 now

Hormone changes in some girls can be this severe. Iā€™d take her to a gynecologist or her primary care.

It ā€œcould beā€ lots of things and from several different causes, nobody on facebook can diagnose, take her to the doctor

4 Likes

Could be related to her period, could be chronic migraine. Thatā€™s exactly when I started suffering from mine, and I still do.

1 Like

Most definitely that is how i know I am about to start. Unfortunately been that way since I was 13 only time I didnā€™t feel like I was practically dying is when I was in birth control. I know some parents look down on it for those younger in age.

Headaches can cause nausea & vomiting.

Iā€™ve been getting periods for twenty something years now and every single time Iā€™m about to start I get a real sick headache and nausea - I normally drink more Diet Coke than any human should probably consume but when these headaches/nausea happen one Dr Pepper and Iā€™m golden. Anywaysā€¦ totally normal but still take her to an OBGYN if sheā€™s started her period, just in case.

Could be multiple things. Get a covid test and make a doctors app would be the best way to find out.

2 Likes

Could be hormones, since sheā€™s 12ā€¦ but thereā€™s a few other issues that could need checking

Could she have a concussion?

My daughter gets sick (fever, stomach issues, diarrhea, and cramps) every month a few days before she starts. I even had to take her to ER once. She is 13 and started having periods at 10.

Take her to the Dr and demand a MRI better safe then sorry

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. What could be causing my daughters headaches? - Mamas Uncut

I want to say yes. The rush of hormones in starting her period is often similar to what women feel when theyā€™re pregnant, because of the rush of hormones.
I could be completely wrong on that

I make a appointment with her pediatrician headache and with nausea and vomiting more then once could be hormonal but better safe then sorry.

1 Like

Yes. Mine were so bad that I would get sick constantly. Then as I got older if I ate before I started I would get sick. I wouldnā€™t recommend giving her midol because it makes my girl shaky from the caffeine but maybe ibuprofen

Was there fever associated?

Yes. My daughter throws up every time she is on her period. It has been 4 years now.

This exact thing happens to someone I know! Never hurts to talk to a doctor to be sure.

I remember spending the night in the bathroom many times because my periods would make me so sick. Maybe set up an appointment with your doctor, just to be safe. But itā€™s very possible that it could just be because of her period.

Maybe a period induced migraine?

3 Likes

Iā€™d always ask a doctor but when I got my very first period it made me so sick. Also pamprin is the best thing Iā€™d ever used for periods fatigues cramping etc.

Its probably the hormone change. Im 28 and still get nauseous and throw up when my period ends and the hormone level increases.

My oldest has hormonal migraines right before and during her period. I give her 2 ibuprofen, make her lay down in a cold dark room, and try to sleep. She usually wakes up feeling better.

Has she had her eyes checked? Needing glasses could cause all of those symptoms.

Migraines, I was 12 when I got my first one

1 Like

Could be hormonal migraines. My niece gets them. Thereā€™s medications that can help.

1 Like

It could be her period it could be stress or a bit of both. Worrying sheā€™s gonna accidentally not be prepared. Hugs. Or sun stroke.

I still get period migraines, and my now 15 year old gets them, too. They always come with vomitting. But, I would def make a pedi appt to rule out anything else. Motrin has been a lifesaver for us, if your daughter can take it.

2 Likes

I always get migraines with my period and sometimes for days/weeks. Definitely can be vomit inducing.

Menstrual migraines. Iā€™ve had them since I first started my period and Iā€™m 49 and still get them a few days before my period starts. My 23 year old daughter gets them as well. Nothing helps except zofran for nausea and migraine medication.

I got the exact same symptoms before I had my first period. It continued on until high school. Even now Iā€™ll still get random symptoms here and there around my cycle.

1 Like

Yes definitely could be it!

Take her to the doctor and donā€™t bother asking people on FB

2 Likes

Could be growing pains. When I was going through puberty I had the worst headaches I would scream crying. My mom had to rub my temples for me until I fell asleep

My migraines started around this age headaches and sickness. Could barely move my head off the pillow, i was put on medication to try and help ease it but i still get them now and im 32 especially around the time of the month or if its been really sunny

Best choice is to go see a doctor. Could be anything from minor to major. Youā€™re not going to know anything for sure unless you have a doctor who will check her out thoroughly and do imaging if needed.

1 Like

Go to the doctor! Do not rely on online forums when it comes to a childā€™s health. This is from a licensed health professional.

3 Likes

Possibly iron deficient?

I always get migraines and nausea before my periods

1 Like

I would see a doctor

Short answer absolutely yes!!! Sorta like when u first get prego the rapid change in hormones is what give u morning sickness same concept with puberty.

1 Like

See. If she needs glasses. It hapoened to me and glasses fixed everything

Iā€™m not a doctor,but headache cause Nausea (at least for me) and since there are a lot of hormonal changes going on Iā€™d say the headache is from that. But i would take her to doc, couldnā€™t hurt. Hope she feels better.

Could be many things, hormones, need for glasses, vertigo, dehydration from the hot weather, acid reflux, etc. Most drs are very quick and efficient with virtual visits and if necessary they can get her in to do labs or vision screening :blush:

1 Like

Take her to her doctor my nephew suffers from excessive migraines and has to take medicine every night

It could be migraines which can be worse during/near the menstrual cycle. I get them pretty bad. Iā€™d have it looked into just to be sure though

2 Likes

I want to say yes this can cause that! I remember when I got mine for the first time, I was in gym class and literally got super dizzy, nauseous and passed out! I got home and later that night started my period so I could absolutely see this to be the cause! To this day I still get super bad headaches on my period! But probably a call to get dr wouldnā€™t hurt!

Migraines and dehydration. My 12 year old daughter gets them too if she doesnā€™t drink alot of water

My chronic migraines were from being anemic which was made worse by both pregnancies. I take over the counter iron supplements which helps. However if it isnā€™t diagnosed right an over dose of iron isnā€™t good either. She just started puberty so it could be something as simple as the hormones being 2 much 4 her 2 handle right now. Definitely see a doctor who will start with the basics and work upfront there.

That happened to me before I went to the Dr and they realized that I needed glasses :eyeglasses:
But could also be something else like vertigo, deficit of iron, dehydration, or start of migraine

I get really nasty headaches right before my period too. So it could be that

Agree with all the suggestions to go see a doctor. Foe me that is migraine symptoms. However, it could be anything. Have her checker. Keep track of how often she gets them.

Hormone changes can cause migraine so a check up with the gp would be a good idea

Yes i get migranes the day before mine and the day after im guessing from the hormone fluctuation

Yes. Hydrate and see if it gets better. Most likely a hormone change but I suggest tell her primary care just incase it persist or more symptoms appear

Might need glasses or contacts

Seek drs a
NOT fb Fool

1 Like

YES, OF COURESE, DEFINITELY, ABSOLUTELY!! Everyone is different!!

It could be abdominal migraines can be caused by anxiety in teenagers ?

Can need glasses but the vomiting makes it seem like something else. Definitely see a doctor for blood work and eye check up

Dehydration is an easy first step. Increase water intake and see if it helps. Lack of good sleep and lack of food are also triggers for me.

This is the 1st usually 1st periods they have an upset stomach beforehand , might be the hot weather ?

Check your furnace for leaks

2 Likes

ABSOLUTELY!!! I get that way before every period!

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. What could be causing my daughters headaches? - Mamas Uncut

My daughter got horrible headaches and vomiting with her period so her Dr. put her on birth control and it helped tons

1 Like