What could this pain be in my lower pelvis?

I am 32 weeks pregnant. Recently, as in the last week or so, I have had severe pains in my lower pelvic region that lasts from a few minutes to a few hours. It always goes away, but it keeps me from sleeping at night. When I change position, it still hurts. There is no pain in my back at all. I have told my doctor, as I have had pain the last three months when walking for more than 20 mins at a time, and she seems to not be worried. What is going on, and should i ask to see the doctor again and maybe try and explain it better? Thank you all in advance!

39 Likes

Probably lightning crotch! The baby is preparing you for delivery! It should subside after birth. Try sleeping with a pillow between your legs.

With my last one i hurt like that for the last month, especially when i would try to sleep. Its pretty normal im sure its just baby making room :blush: and do what she said :point_up_2: pillow between your legs helps some

try a belly band that helps lift the weight of the baby off of your pelvis

4 Likes

Yes its the baby preparing themselves! My dr prescribed pain meds to help…

Heating pad on inside of thighs, chiropractor and using a ball or rolling pin was the only things That helped me get relief for my pelvis.

Ligaments are loosening

1 Like

Look up symphysis pubis dysfunction. I had it with my first pregnancy. It sucks but it’s very common

1 Like

Could be PGP (pelvic gurdle pain) I was diagnosed with it at 5 months, it was intense pain, symtoms sound similar, I ended up having to do physiotherapy for the remainder of my pregnancy and had to use a serola belt too.

Could be baby’s head pressing into your spine .

I would recommend you talk to your doctor and keep track of what you were doing when the pain started, what helped it etc. I had this in. my 2nd pregnancy and ended up finding out it was my cervix thinning and I was starting to dialiate.

Round ligament pain? Lightening crotch? Pressure from baby’s head on your cervix? Unfortunately pregnancy brings on a lot of different things. I am almost 37 weeks along with my second and have all of these plus more. I feel like the front of my pelvic bone is bruised every time I move.

1 Like

Its the baby settling into the pelvis in preparation for birth. The baby is getting to big to move a lot and tends to settle into the head down position.It can be incredibly painful. Sometimes a warm bath can help.

Does it feel like you’ve been kicked in the vagina? Or someone is sticking a knife up there? Totally normal it’s your ligaments stretching. It sucks I hated it lol I found a belly band helped to relieve some pressure

I’m 32 weeks and have experiencing loosening ligament pain and lighting crotch :weary: my upper buttocks and groin feel like they have pulled muscles a lot as well.

My doctor wasn’t worried at my appt last week either. I didn’t experience a lot of this with my first kiddo so I was a bit worried too. My doc is top notch, and I trust that if he’s not worried then I shouldn’t be either.

Almost 37 weeks here with my 2nd and I started physcial therapy for my pelvic pain, thats how bad this pain has gotten for me… With my first I had absolutely no complications. The pregnancy was a breeze! This one though is killing me… my partner has had to stay home the past almost 2 weeks because I cant even walk on my own or get myself dressed because of how bad my pelvic is. I have tried everything to help but nothing completely works of course. Some things that have given me temporary relief are ice packs, maternity belt, keeping my knees close together, warm showers, and taking things verrrrrrry slow. I have been told by my OB and the physcial therapist that this is from the hormone relaxin that makes your joints and ligaments loosen, preparing for birth… in my case im just producing alot of relaxin which makes it extra loose and unstable I guess. I definitely feel your pain and I hope you find relief soon :pray: :heart:

1 Like

Broken crotch syndrome I had that

put a pillow under your hips

Sounds like SPD. I have it too. It sucks for sure, but nothing to worry about!

1 Like

See a physical therapist trained in women’s health.

It’s your body getting ready to have baby keep walking it will help but make them short and spread them out but also relax put your feet up it really helpes me

Lightening crotch and ligament pain from the baby pushing down into place.Im 28weeks with my 2nd,and it hurts to walk., Roll over, feels like I’ve been riding a horse, or been riding roller coasters. It’s been like this for a few weeks, last appt my baby had already dropped into my pelvis too.

Round ligament pain its torture

1 Like

Sounds like baby has found a comfy spot where it likes to lie, had this with my daughter it was so uncomfortable

My husbands cousin is a masseuse therapist, licensed, trained, etc. He relieved this pain for me and I almost cried because of how happy I was!!

Sit in a chair, back straight, open your legs wide enough for someone to sit between. Have them place the ball of their elbow half way up your inner thigh and apply pressure. Not enough to hurt, but enough to release tension. Hold until you feel relief. Repeat on the other side.

GAME CHANGER. LIFE SAVER. I could hardly lift my legs because of the unbearable pain. Trying to do steps up or down, or lifting my leg to step over something was a joke. Laying in bed was the absolute worse and my pelvic bone would literally pop. This maneuver changed the remaining portion of time left in my pregnancy.

As a massage therapist, he has written articles on how he believes massage therapy should be incorporated and covered by insurance for pregnant women. Ladies. This WORKS.

1 Like

I’ll try to either draw a diagram or edit a picture to relay what I mean.

Apply pressure with elbows where the two dots are. Slightly above hallway up the inner thigh. See my previous comments!!!

Look into pelvic girdle it sounds like the symptoms. Your doctor is probably not worried cause their is nothing that can be done for it. It can be crippling getting in and out the bed. Try sleeping with a pillow between your legs close to the edge of the bed so you can just get out and rolling around at a sitting position on an exercising ball. Getting a baby support belt also works wonders

Lighting crotch and round ligament pain

Sorry to hear.
Im feeling for you, as i actually experienced alot of pain half way through my 2nd pregnancy.
Complained, it was agony by the time I was full term I couldn’t walk.
Doctors couldn’t help me, it was the baby!!

A year later finally diagnosed I had a hernia!
Never forget that pain.
Hoping you can get help and all goes well for you.

Yes a belt will alleviate most of the pressure being caused by the growth of your baby at this point.

Sciatic nerve pain from pressure. Hot, epson salt baths (not too hot ofcourse, and drink lots of water before and after)

Your belly is expanding so it maybe growing pains, plus pressure can be painful also.

A pregnancy belt is supposed to help but it never helped me

1 Like

It is just the baby being down there on you pelvis. Mine always hurts because the baby is always on my pelvis.

Baby moving down to get ready for birth

Could be round ligament pain ( normal pain from ligaments around your uterus stretching), could be braxton hicks contractions ( sort of like practice contractions, annoying but normal), could also be something called SPJ pain or “lightening crotch” from the front joint in your pelvis moving against itself as the baby moves lower. All three are annoying, uncomfortable, but normal. You can try ice/ heat packs for 20 min at a time, regular strength tylenol every 6 hrs, or try propping your belly with a pillow or wedge when laying down. If it doesn’t let up, becomes increasingly painful, or is accompanied with any kind of vaginal fluid or blood, then contact your doctor ASAP.

19 Likes

I had this problem after I got to the point where the doctor was checking my cervix. I could hardly walk. It was so painful. But it could be your hips widening preparing for childbirth?

Baby could be on a nerve but if you think it might be more serious like the placenta tearing ask to see a different dr. If you don’t think they are taking you serious …Do you have high blood pressure or diabetes? Both can cause pain …BUT I think to reassure yourself I’d get a second opinion

4 Likes

When you get ready for labor your joints and ligaments have to get ready too.They become softer and looser. That can cause pain especially if you have been on your feet a lot then it gets worse at night. My last one I could barely walk those last two months. I would still have your doctor check everything. But it may be something you have to just push through. I spent time sitting on a heating pad on low and warm baths help but you cant let them get too hot. The doc will tell you that you can use Tylenol but for me that was like taking water. Good luck and hope this eased your worries some.

1 Like

Sounds like round ligament pain normal stretching of the uterus and pelvis getting ready

3 Likes

It’s accurately been called Lightning crotch. Shooting pains in the crotch/pelvic area. Only lasts a few seconds but can double you over in pain. Hot water bottle usually helps.

2 Likes

Could be round ligament pain. Sharp pain that shoots across? Sometimes is ligaments stretching in preparation for labor.

3 Likes

First of all, pregnancy is weird and many times there are aches and pains that are completely normal and part of the process. That being said, your OB should be acting as your ally and teammate. You are paying her for her services. Your questions should be thoroughly answered and you absolutely have the right to ask for clarification.

2 Likes

She’s not worried because there’s nothing to worry about. Most of the responses on here are exactly what I would have told you it probably is round ligament pain. Being a labor and delivery nurse for 30 years I’ve seen it quite often.

7 Likes

I have had 7 kids. If this is what I experienced then it’s just tendons that become loose due to pregnancy hormones. Best bet is go back to your doctor to be evaluated.

1 Like

Could be veins. I had swollen veins down there when I was pregnant.

Your pelvic is stretching.
I can also understand why some people are saying it could be swollen vein . But one would think when your OB is checking you she can see if it is this the problem or not

3 Likes

I would say it’s probably round Ligament pain… normal but can be painful… also head is probably down so I would just try to rest when these episodes come on as long as ur not having any red flags like extreme bleeding or water breaking… I would say ur ok ur just getting down to the nitty gritty about to have a baby!!
Congrats :confetti_ball::tada::champagne::balloon:

3 Likes

I was told with both of my pregnancies that it is round ligament pain. Everything including the ligaments are stretching to make room for the growing baby. It is miserable, but normal.

1 Like

My dr just kept telling me it’s normal it’s normal. Finally another mother/ nurse told me a ligament that is only inches long has to stretch to hold the uterus. I felt so much better when I knew what is was. I thought something was wrong.

I remember that feeling very vividly in the late stages of both of my pregnancies. I was told it was just from the pressure of the baby. Was shooting pains in the actual bones. That sucked lol

1 Like

Had that the last trimester with my son. Only the boy did it to me as they sit lower.

told me my pelvic region was stretching.

I had that with my pregnancies. The dr told me it was round ligament pain. It definitely hurts alot. Its just from the baby growing

2 Likes

Could be baby positioning. Before done going to feel like a bowling ball sitting on your pelvic bone. I also had a son rode on my sciatic

Round ligament. Try a pregnancy Chiropractor. NOT a normal one. They saved my daughter during her difficult pregnancy.

Round ligament pain due to growing belly

The baby is getting ready. Moving downward into the pelvic area. I had the same problem, and kept thinking I was starting labor.

Keep talking to your doctor. Let her know hey this is really getting me especially with you being pregnant. I have had these pains before and they did a lot of testing after I told them hey we got to work together here now I want to know what is this pain and I demand a ligiment answer.

It’s round ligament pain and baby getting into place and Braxton Hicks I had the same thing happen starting at 35 weeks and he made his debut few weeks later

My only experience is that I have 3 kids. This may be the tendons stretching in this area making room for growing baby.

This is a question for your doctor who would actually know the answer.

1 Like

My baby was against my sciatica…Same symptoms as yours…She eventually moved…

I was pregnant at 39 my daughter kept Turner would not settle in my birth canal. They turned her still wouldn’t stay. She was too big I had c section she was fine. Braxton hicks pretty labor pain. Get checked with yr concerns good luck

The hormone relaxin is making your joints and tendons loose to make room for baby. Always ask your doc, no question is stupid.

Its babies head going down your pelvis area streatches and changes to get ready for labor sorry for the pain

Could be your pubic bones softening.

Your ligaments could be stretching in preparation for birth.

I had that and my md recommended a belt to lift the baby up.

I remember that pain also… hugs… I personally would ask my dr to check me. It might just be normal pain but it wouldmake you feel better to know for sure

Make sure you are drinking 90-100 ounces of water a day. Also get a belly band.

I had that fifty years ago.

Only time I had that happen when pregnant it was a UTI infection. Said no more tub baths . . but that was 35 yrs. ago.

SPD? Google it. I had it with all 3 of my pregnancies.

Everything stretching and moving and pulling to accommodate the growing baby!!!

I had the same thing. It felt like my pelvic bones were going to break. Dr wasnt concerned. But I feel your pain

Birth doula and mom of 4 here :raising_hand_woman:t2:, this sounds like Symphysis pubis dysfunction (SPD). It can be quite painful. A chiropractor that specializes in the Webster technique can help immensely.

I found wearing a maternity girdle helped

If you are a small frame person you can expect more aches and pains as your body prepares for birth. 2nd and 3rd pregnancies are much easier !

I would get a second option from another doctor.

It’s called lightning crotch

Your pelvis is preparing for the baby to come walk as tolerated will help

I had those pains too but they went away after the birth and had very healthy babies.

Probably round ligament syndrome.

1 Like

Check out another doctor. Doesn’t hurt to check a different doctor.

I’d get a 2nd opinion’! :pray::pray:

get a 2nd opinion…asap

Sounds like ligament pain

Ask your doctor…not the intetnet!!

I would go back to the doctor. Positive thoughts :rose:

1 Like

Baby getting into the position maybe

Baby on a nerve stretching for birth…

Sounds like your body is adjusting to deliver…

Mine always said drink more water

Sounds like your pelvis is getting ready for the birth

Omg. Call and ask your doctor.

Get a different doctor.

“symphysis pubis dysfunction” my friend who is a nurse has had this during all 3 of her pregnancies. The ligaments that keep your pelvic bone aligned during pregnancy become too relaxed and stretchy too soon. The ligaments are suppose to relax, just not until right before labor. It is not dangerous to the baby, just extremely painful to you! She didn’t know until her 3rd pregnancy what it actually was. The doctors as well kept telling her it was normal. She finally got through to the doctor how bad the pain was and has been diagnosed with it. She is looking into physical therapy or going into a chiropractor to help ease the pain until labor. I would call your doctor again!

See another dr. To ease your mind.