What do I put in this letter to my bonus daughter's mom?

I've been a part of my bonus daughters life since before she was born she's 4 now (it's complicated) but baby mama and we definitely don't get along at all. But the bio mom is about to have her second child, so our Daughter when she came over tonight, it was just me and her. She broke down in tears crying, she ended up saying that she's scared she won't be loved at bio mom's house anymore, they're gonna forget about her, nobody is going to want her. She loves the baby but she's scared the baby is going to make bio mom stuck in hospital and forget about her.....I reassured her, but I also told her that I was gonna write a letter to bio mom and just let her know how the daughter was feeling. But I'm honestly clueless on what to write in the letter. I feel like anything I'm gonna say she's just gonna see it as a negative, us trying to attack her. So please help on what I should say! THANK YOU!
84 Likes

I don’t really think there’s a good way to do this, as she’ll most likely take it offensively. But just be honest, that’s all you can do. Tell her what she told you. I would say something like “Personally we think you should talk to her to reassure her, because she feels this way. We’ve tried to reassure her, but I think it would mean more coming from you”

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. What do I put in this letter to my bonus daughter's mom? - Mamas Uncut

If you’re going to do anything do it face to face. Letters and texts leave interpretation of intent and tone open to the reader.

23 Likes

Stay out of bio momma’s way and be there for bonus daughter

Um…I think a letter is rude. I think you kicking up dust at the end of her pregnancy is wrong. Just reassure your daughter that everyone is going to love her the same.

21 Likes

I honestly wouldn’t get in the middle of it. Especially if you two aren’t in goodterms. I would have the daughter tell her. That way it’s genuine and you’re not overstepping any boundaries

22 Likes

Lead with your heart and hopefully hers receives it the way you intended. :heart:

1 Like

Be careful with that, as this is something that the mom already knows. You will sound like your questioning how she is handling having children. Face to face would be better, like hey…she expressed how she’s feeling about things, she cried a little just wanted you to know….leave it at that….unless she’s a terrible mother and you need to get in her head.

Dad needs to talk to her if you aren’t on good terms, it’s not your place.

I definitely feel like you should leave it alone. Just make sure you double down on making her feel loved and reassured she feels it when she is with you guys.

A letter would not be rude. She trying to make sure the mom knows how the daughter feels. That’s looking out. I would personally have dad let her know just so it’s not held against you but it’s not rude.

Let the dad talk to the mom. If y’all already have issues, that letter is not going to help at all.

11 Likes

How old is the daughter? If she’s old enough have her write the letter.

Tag her! You already said it. :woman_shrugging:t2:

6 Likes

For a child to feel this way, it is usually because a said person is doing something to make them feel this way. Reassuring the child on your end is the best thing you can do. Getting in the middle of a child and parent in front of the child is more damaging and usually counter productive. Letters will not work and will most likely cause more drama.

9 Likes

Tell your spouse/bf. Let him handle it. You telling her will only add to the problems

You should not write a letter. It is absolutely NOT your place. Stay out if this or you will regret it.

That little girl is 4 years old. This just didn’t come out of thin air, someone said something to have her thinking like this. You need to give her as much love and support as you can, try reassuring her that you and her dad will love her know matter what. Dad needs to have a conversation face to face with bio mom. Letters and text message could be taken the wrong way and feel more like an attack. That child definitely feels like she’s not going to matter anymore and bio mom needs to address that

I’d assure the Mom that you let your daughter know that mommy’s have enough love for all their kids. Assure her that you let the child know she’s a good Mom, who will miss her as much she misses mommy, and will be home soon. Just keep all your statements positive, and complimentary. Don’t offer advice, just make her aware.

Definately a Dad issue that he should handle. Be there for support.

8 Likes

You should have just reassured the child and let it go

6 Likes

I wouldn’t say anything… you already reassured her so let it be

8 Likes

Maybe use this as an opportunity to set aside your differences and ask what you both can do together to ensure she feels included after the baby is born. It may open up the door for you to work on a better relationship with bio mom. Maybe after she has the baby get bio mom a gift card for her to pamper herself or something. Or take the 4 year old to buy some things for the baby and her mom and get her something special too that day

13 Likes

Not your place… her father should talk to her

20 Likes

I feel like if your daughter was comfortable enough to say something to bio mom she would’ve but she came to you I would allow her to freely come to you without thinking twice keep it between you guys🤷‍♀️

I wouldn’t talk to bio mom since you and her dont have a good relationship. However, when daughter is with you, reinforce YOUR love for her.

8 Likes

Don’t talk to bio mom. It will not end well. She may take it out on daughter for talking to you. If anything have dad grow some balls and stand up for his daughter.

Everyone that is saying it isn’t her place, yet the bonus mom has been in the child’s life since she was four is wrong ! I am a bonus mom& thank god my boyfriend acknowledges my place, but it would hurt me to see those comments! Now do I think she should write a letter ? No I do not , it’s something to say to her in person with dad present so it is seconded. She’s four and it isn’t that serious for a child to become jealous, she needs reassurance from all parties.

Somethings should be handled by the dad. She’s 4 and thats an inbetween age. You don’t want bio mom to feel attacked. Not to mention, her focus is on giving birth right this second. I think you and dad should be able to give some encouraging words right now and then address it with bio mom later so she can reassure daughter herself

5 Likes

We’re you the mistress or was she? That’s gonna matter in the long run as to where her head may always be at when it comes to you and will most likely dictate how she always responds to anything you say or do. Does she have primary custody? If you only have this 4 year old 4 days a month then you should definitely keep your thoughts to yourself and just reassure the child.

20 Likes

Bring the daughter and have a sit down and let her tell her mom how she feels

Stay out of it if I was you, one day you will all have to get along, plus what about if you have kids, you will be in her shoes then.

Don’t write a dayum letter! Every child goes through this when they are getting a younger sibling. Their fears are valid to them but you have to reassure her that there is enough love for all and she won’t be ignored or left out. Tell her she can be the biggest helper and her Mama will need her to help care for the baby. She will step up! Years from now maybe you can have both at your home together. How will “the baby” feel when he/she doesn’t have “bonus” parents? Assure her, love her, and include her sibling as much as the Mama will allow. They are all “our” kids and the more people that love them and watch after them the better off we all are. It takes the whole village! Put the pettiness and jealousy aside. Yeah, I said it and you can share it! Leave the “bonus” out of the conversation as well. Even if you hate each other those children should NEVER know! They grow up and do remember. Make it as painless as you can.

Why don’t you leave it up to her dad to communicate with your bonus child’s mother

16 Likes

Never write a letter. This isn’t your place. It’s dads.

12 Likes

You’ve been in the picture since before the girl was born, I’m not surprised at all that the girls mom doesn’t like you. And now she’s moved on and having another child. I’ve never heard of a 4 year old coming up with all that all by themselves. Are you sure you didn’t take a small child’s normal jealousy over a new baby and blow it all out of proportion and twist it up to start some drama? How about you just reassure the girl that her mom would never forget about her and talk about how exciting it’s going to be for her to get to be a big sister. Turn it into a positive thing for her. If you’re still worried, tell her daddy and let him and her mother decide on a course of action. It would be nice if you could all work together but as you said, you don’t get along. So why not let the mom enjoy her pregnancy and new baby and handle things with her daughter and stop trying to make it all about you. You don’t need to be writing her any damn letters.

Yeah, good luck with that one…May the force be with you :vulcan_salute:

Let bio dad handle it. Period

6 Likes

What you are doing is a true wonderful and difficult mom job. Maybe you could write the letter with your daughter and help your daughter with a gift for new baby - blanket or a lovie so ‘the baby will want to get home quick to meet her and say thank you for their (gift)…

Not your place leave it up to dad

6 Likes

Leave it alone , it’s not your place , this is something the dad needs to do

I never hear the term “bonus child” used until I read posts on this page :joy: Anyways, it’s not your place, it’s your “bonus child’s father” place to have that discussion with her mother.

8 Likes

That’s totally normal… my 4 year old was terrified when I went to birth his baby brother. As for the letter, not your place if you don’t have a good relationship with Mom. Her daughter can talk to her herself, not through you. Maybe have her FaceTime her mom for some reassurance.

7 Likes

I think you should encourage her to advocate for herself and tell how she feels. Use “I feel” statements to convey those emotions and practice them at home. For example, she could say “mommy, I feel worried when you talk about the new baby.” Leave it up to the bio mom and daughter to work through those feelings together, and just be there for support and encouragement from the sidelines. They have to work out a parent child communication style that works for them, it sounds like you have a very good parent child communication with her since she trusted you with those feelings, and that’s great. Just reassure her her mom cares just as much about how she feels, so she just has to let her know.

Honestly, just reassure your daughter that she will always be loved by her mom and a baby sister will love her so much too. She’s 4 so she doesn’t fully understand. I would let dad make the decision to chat with her. Also, this is a happy time for your daughter just help her get excited to help her mom and hopefully mom knows how to explain how much she loves her and that she will not be forgotten. You guys really need to try to get along for the kids because you’re her family. It’s easy said than done sometimes but it really does help to have a secure family dynamic.

4 Likes

I can’t even with ya’ll. All of you saying leave it up to the dad! Seriously!? No. My ex husband and his wife have custody of my son. (Boys need their dad at his age) We live in different states. I communicate mostly with my son’s bonus mom. We need to be encouraging the children to be comfortable with expressing feelings and thoughts to all people who are involved in raising them. Stop this “you’re not the bio so you have no say so” mentally. Speak to the mother. You all have to come together as one to raise this child to be successful. It isn’t about you, her, the dad, or anyone else but that baby. Try asking the mom out for coffee and get to know each other. It will be easier on both of you in the end if you guys can be freinds. Believe me I have been doing it for 10 years (was not easy in the beginning) and now I adore my sons bonus mom.

Pretty much EVERY big sibling goes through these feelings- it’s not abnormal or worrisome. Why would you need to write a letter to bio on the child’s behalf? This child was able to express herself to you- she can express herself to mom. This is a very good teaching moment about- teach this child she has a voice- if she worried she doesn’t matter- she needs to know she can talk for herself- that she matters enough to be treated like a human. It’s not your place to tell mom the child’s feelings- unless you are scared of self harm or the mother doing harm - it is your job to help the child grow emotionally through this and be supportive

Put your pen and paper away and let her daddy know how she’s feeling. You’re gonna miss your exit not staying in your lane. :woozy_face:

13 Likes

What is the reason you and mom do not get along? Honestly, I wouldn’t write a letter. It seems you may have sympathy or regret as to why there’s tension between the two of you and obviously is coming between you communicating effectively to the child’s needs. Maybe, you need to have an adult conversation with the other adult (mother) and try to come up with a permanent resolution to for the wellbeing and best interest of the child. Then, you may express your concerns with a good heart. Until then, if you can’t find a common ground, you should Express to the child’s father what she’s said and let him relay her feelings to her mother.

Im sure its EXTREMELY confusing for a 4 year old to go between households and have another baby sibling on the way from only one parent. She must felt left out or abandoned. If she is confiding in you, it’s your duty as a good “bonus mother” to reassure her that her biological mother loves her just as much regardless of a new baby that they are equal in her heart. Explain that she has double the love because she has double the families etc. Make her happy, feel loved, wanted, and secure. These are child’s feelings who feel like they’re being replaced. Ensure her she isn’t.

I would encourage the daughter to talk to her mother about it. Almost all kids go through those feelings, my oldest did too. But if there’s bad blood between y’all she most likely gonna think you put that idea in her head. Definitely keep reassuring the daughter but if it were me I wouldn’t say anything to the mother. It’s actually more the father place to talk to the mother than yours

Where’s the father. This is his responsibility to talk to his ex.

Dad should say something to her mom not you. It’s not your place if u all don’t get along. She trusted u enough to tell you this so just keep reassure her everything is fine and she will always be loved

1 Like

No letter. It will be taken wrong. Just reassure her and tell her how she will have a real baby to hug and kiss and her mom will let her hold the bottle to feed the baby and bath and change clothes. Just like when she plays with her dolls.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. What do I put in this letter to my bonus daughter's mom? - Mamas Uncut

Do NOT write that letter! Be supportive to your daughter and that’s it!

23 Likes

Let her dad have that convo with the mom. She’d probably accept it better coming from him

14 Likes

It is not your place to write a letter . Just remind your Daughter that the new baby brings its love with it so it won’t take any of her mother’s love away .

11 Likes

It’s not your place to write that letter ! Her daughter can speak to her mother or her father can have a talk with his ex . Be there for her but stay out of this conversation .

10 Likes

Not trying to be rude, Thats not a conversation for You to be having with her mother, Thats a conversation to be had by the Parents.

11 Likes

Don’t write her a letter! That shows a lack of respect and communication! My baby father’s girlfriend does this and sends the notes in my child’s backpack and I feel she’s making my child the mailman for her. When a simple phone call or text could service. It’s immature and personally disrespectful! Especially when my baby father would never care if I didn’t send a pair of underwear back :rofl:

I wouldn’t write that letter. Always encourage the kid to tell the parent how they feel. A child should always feel they can talk to their parents. Reassure her the baby isn’t going to take mom’s love away from her that she is just going to have another person in this world that loves her too. But she needs to talk to her mother about it and if she can’t maybe dad can help her

10 Likes

Stay out of it. It’s not your business. Encourage the daughter to tell her mom her concerns and support her

7 Likes

Ditto! Let Daddy or bonus daughter handle that conversation. YOU are correct in wanting to reassure the child. Sounds like she’s very comfortable with sharing her thoughts with you- so take that as a compliment.
But you can’t be the one to initiate something with the Mother.

9 Likes

I wouldnt even go there. If theres anything to be said, then it’s the Dad to say it. Yes the 4 yr old did talk with you, however you then confide to her Dad what her fears are. Trust me, for you to write something to her mother would not bode well for you, the step mother.

8 Likes

I just love how people will say this isn’t her business but in a relationship where the step parent isn’t close to the step child that person is critized. You are either a part of the life and it is all your business or your not.
I say communicate with your SO, discuss the best way to handle this but at the same time reassure the child that you will always love her no matter what.

13 Likes

Don’t say anything to her, talk to your husband/boyfriend and let him know how his daughter is feeling, and let him speak to his ex. It’s really not your place, seeing that you and his ex do not get along.

1 Like

Don’t have sex or make illigitamite children. Get married or FIXED

5 Likes

If you and her don’t get a long. Let her Dad deliver the message. Quick suggestion. When and if there is a baby shower. It would be wonderful for everyone to bring the little girl a token gift.

1 Like

I would say communicate with your man or have her write her mom a letter if she doesn’t feel comfortable to say it to her moms face.

If you write the letter and there is any backlash on your bonus daughter she will learn it isn’t safe to confide in you. In addition reassure her the baby is going to need more attention for a bit bc they need help with everything, she will be a great big sister (with your support)

4 Likes

As a bonus mom myself I don’t see the issue. Nothing wrong with protecting the child that you help raise. A lot of people think just bc you’re not the bio mom you have no say . So my advise , do what u feel is right in your heart and discuss it with her father. If he’s ok with it then I say go for it! At the end of the day as long as it’s respectful, she should appreciate you care enough to bring it to her attention.

Watch Boss Baby together as a family to show your daughter she is not alone in her feelings but that in the end a bigger family means more love in the long run.

1 Like

Maybe have a conversation where mom and dad are both involved with you. Then maybe the ex won’t feel "attacked ". Its hard when you’re so little!!! You did a great job. But the ex would just see it as an attack on her parenting if you wrote the letter although your heart is definitely in the right place.

1 Like

Careful writing a letter to her mother is over stepping you’re place as a stepmom. I’m sure her bio mom understands her daughters fear’s of a new baby and will reassure her child she is loved even more by being the big sister.

2 Likes

Dont write a letter.

1 Like

Not understanding how so many of you tell her it’s not her place or her business. She’s a step parent to the child - been in the child’s life since day one. Everyone in the situation needs to be the adults that they are for the sake of the child and reassure her

11 Likes

I wouldn’t write a letter either just keep reassuring her that she is loved by her stepmother and father and the new baby is just someone to love too

4 Likes

When my bonus children bring up any issues they are having at their other house I always give advise as if it was them talking about me. I try get them to understand what their mum might be feeling and try give them the advise or tools to sort it themselves, especially if I feel it might just be them being not old enough to understand that parents are also human, have flaws and need patience and understanding too sometimes. I wish that went both ways, especially in the early years, I still feel some of the damage done early by others has robbed me of the closer relationship I could of had with them but I was so hurt by some things I had to step away a little for my own well-being. Admittedly they are older but helping the child through support and reassurance is the best plan. It’s also important to let your partner know but again up to the child to tell him if they want. Could just be venting their fears to you as they trust you to give an unbiased opinion. Sometimes children actually also pick up on what they think you’d like to hear. I’ve been on the receiving end of negative feedback from bonus children’s relatives and it was not pleasant , not necessary and absolutely done to hurt not help. If they’d wanted to help they would have addressed things with the children and monitored the situation but instead jumped on us and tried to make us feel like bad parents any chance they got. Blended families are hard and it takes everyone involved rising above and thinking about what’s best for the children’s development, this should be seen as an opportunity for her to learn about sharing, love and resilience. It’s awesome she has opened up to you, take it as the blessing it is and know if it gets back to her mum the wrong way she might not ever feel she could share with you again and that would be much worse than not speaking out this time.

I would definitely have the dad talk to the mom. There is obviously a reason why the little girl feels that way and i feel like if you say something it might start something.

1 Like

It’s not your place to do this. Stay out of it. Just keep reassuring the child she is loved at both houses.

17 Likes

I love what you’re thinking, but if you do write that letter there’s a very good chance she’ll take it as an attack. But if you do write it - (coming from someone who once I feel I should write something it’s very hard to talk myself out of it!) - then write pretty much what you have there, minus the bits about not getting along. Or maybe re-word them to something like ‘we’ve sometimes had a strained relationship, but we both have her best interests at heart’…

3 Likes

Learn to get along with her mother so in the future you can talk to her. Have dad call her for something and casually mention it. Most kids go through something like this with the new baby. It is not a crisis.

1 Like

Gees wiz I’m lost between bonus daughter bio mum and all the other terms u use

4 Likes

I would not write a letter. I would encourage baby girl to go with daddy and get a gift of her choice for the baby. I would not be a pert of the trip .

3 Likes

Bio dad needs to handle this. Maybe the daughter can spend more time with y’all while mom recuperates from the birth and adjusts to having new baby at home. Unless and until you and bio mom can establish a relationship you need to let dad handle all things concerning his daughter.

5 Likes

I would send just what you posted, It’s very good.

It IS Dad’s place to say something, I know it can be hard. My bf never says anything to his baby momma about ANYTHING but it’s not my place. I just make sure my step daughter has everything she needs.

I would have maybe the daughter write out her feelings.

4 Likes

Just love the little one. Make life extra special for her. Because you dont get along with the bio mom it’s only going to create drama…even if you dont mean to. Also as someone mentioned it is important that the child can confide and feel safe. You sound like a great mom…give her some extra attention when she’s with you. She will never forget it.:purple_heart:

2 Likes

As a stepmom, who helped raise, and mother my husband’s children 5 days a week until they were grown - write a letter and have you and your husband sign it.

We were married when my stepchildren were 6 and 8. We had been together three years. I loved and treated them as my own.

When I was pregnant with my first she had all kinds of things to say to me. And to the village we live in.

Do what is best for your family, especially for the little wonder that chose you as her voice.

I’m with everyone else, I wouldn’t write the letter bc chances are if yall dont get along she will say you are putting these ideas in the child’s head. You, the child, and dad needs to sit down and tell her she needs to tell her daddy what she told you and let him handle it…all you can do is just keep reassuring her and show her love on your end.

6 Likes

What’s wrong with simply telling the truth and let her know the little girl is feeling a bit insecure about the new baby. I don’t think it’s anything any other child of her age may feel. Maybe suggest a little congratulations to siblings type of party which celebrates both kids will help. It’s not up to you to dictate to her bio mom how to handle the situation so I’m not sure other than encouraging the little girl to tell her mommy how she is feeling is warranted. This will pass once the baby comes and she loves the baby too. It’s all new to this little girl. Don’t add problems by sticking your nose in the other house.

That is a normal feeling for a child. They all worry about that and every sibling goes through it. I’m sure her mom will do things to make her feel special and loved during that time. Please don’t write that letter. Also, yall take extra time to make her feel special as well.

5 Likes

If you feel the need to write a letter perhaps write it from a different angle.ask her advice on how she would like you to deal with any sibling rivalry that may surface with your bonus daughter(avoid using that term) to her mom.ask if she has any suggestion or ideas she would like you to use with the little one. Don’t tell her yet about the little ones insecurities then if an issue arises you can address it and she may not feel attacked. Get the little one a "worlds best big
sister t shirt
Good Luck

I wouldn’t write a letter. I would let her dad bring it up to the mom if it needs to be addressed

3 Likes

I think you should mind your own business she is not your daughter and she has a mum let her mum work it out with the child.

6 Likes

I know you love your bonus daughter but she needs to talk to her bio mum about how she’s feeling. I’m sorry but it’s not your place. And all eldest children feel this way whether or not parents are still together or if they’re in blended families. Just support & love her on her end. Talk to her dad.

My eldest step son actually made up a story saying my daughter had said that his mum wouldn’t have any time for him when his mum’s 5th child came along. Turns out poor munchkin didn’t know how to tell his mum how he was feeling.

She’s 4 and will feel that way. But you could twist it into letting the mom tell you, by that I mean…tell mom that you’d like to know what to say to your bonus child to reassure her. Tell her what the child has said and then be like “what reassuring words would you like us to say when or if she brings it up again, so that we can all be on the same page” that way you’re letting her know how the child has concerns but yet at same time you’re including mom…therefore maybe starting to open up a better relationship with all of you and break free of the “she always thinks we’re attacking her”