What is a good bedtime for toddlers?

Hi moms! Dad and I are in a debate. What time do your 2year Olds wake up in the morning, and what time do they go to bed? How long of a nap during the day? I work during the day, so dad is home with our youngest son and still doesn’t have a routine down.

19 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. What is a good bedtime for toddlers? - Mamas Uncut

I always put my son to bed at 8 pm because even if I let him stay up he was still up early. It can be harder in the summer as it’s lighter outside but for me with all 3 of my kids the best thing regardless of the bed time you choose is just consistency. I believe kids thrive on structure and routine. I would do baths then read a book or two with my kids and that would be their bedtime.

2 Likes

My kids have always went to bed around 8:30 and wake up around 6:30ish.

My almost 3 year old son goes to bed between 730 and 8pm and wakes up around 7am. He typically maps once during the day at 1pm and wakes up between 2-3pm

7:00 pm- Kids will wake the same time no matter how late they stay up. Adjust your sleep pattern, lay em down at 7, take a few hours for yourself and get adequate sleep to do it all over again.

2 Likes

Bed 7-730 and up around 630.
Same deal for all 3 of my kids.

1 Like

My 2.5 yo goes to bed when daddy and I are going to bed wether that be 830 pm or 11 pm. She wakes up whenever we wake up. She usually takes an hour and half nap once a day

My two year old is basically done with naps he goes to bed at 9 and gets up at 7 usually when I wake up his brother for school on weekends like now he’s still sleep

My 22 month old wakes up around 7:30, naps from 12-2, and goes to bed at 7

1 Like

9pm is bed time. He wakes up around 730 every morning now and since he’s 2 or it’s just him he only takes one nap a day now. It can be chaos without a routine

1 Like

We use to be 9pm was up 6:30-7 no naps .now that she is kindergarten is 8pm un at 6am

1 Like

My 2 year old son goes to bed between 8-9 and wakes up 7-8am

We put both of our kids (4 and 1) to bed at 8 and they wake up anywhere between 5:30 and 7:30 (once my oldest is awake she literally refuses to go back to bed)

1 Like

My daughter lays down in her crib at about 8 and drinks some milk and babbles and plays for about 20 mins (her preference, she won’t let me rock her to sleep and stuff) then she wakes up routinely at the same time my son gets on the bus at 6:50. She is 2.5 and has done this since way before 2…now she takes one big nap from between 12-1 to about 3 or 4 depending.

2 Likes

Bedtime 7:45-8 pm usually wakes up anywhere from 5:50-6:30 am usually lay her down 3ish hours after she woke up. So if she’s up 6:30 am nap time is 9:30 am.

My 2 year old goes to bed between 8-8:30pm and will wake up anywhere between 8:30-9:30am and usually sleep between 11:30am until 3ish pm but she’s been trying to fight the day sleep

Up at 7-7:45, nap at 11:30-1pm, bedtime 7:45-8:00.

1 Like

My 3 year year old doesnt nap. He goes to bed 630-730pm and wakes at 630am. We had to drop the nap around 2-2.5years because he was staying awake until 10pm.

I have a 4 yr old but this has been the routine since she was about 1.5 we get ready and pjs and things on starting 7ish. Sleeping no later than 8 ever night usually sleeping by 730. Up on week days 6am.

My son is 2.5 and he goes to bed between 830/9pm, wakes up at 7am and takes a nap from 1230-2pm

My almost 3 year old is in bed between 730-745pm and up between 530-600am. He doesn’t take naps and hasn’t for 2 years. That’s just him though, my 2 oldest took naps until about 3 years old and had the same bed time deal.

Well, my daughter is almost 9 and goes to bed at 7:30. She also wakes up at 5:30 for school.
When she was 2, she went to bed about 8:30 and woke up about 7:30.

It depends on your schedule. Early works for some, late works for others. My girls both went to bed at 7 when they were 2, but my youngest couldn’t talk asleep until 8 most days. Every child and situation is different.

My 18 month old usually falls asleep around 10pm and then he wakes up at 630. But he wakes up during the night

1 Like

My daughter who is 3, has been going to bed by 730pm since she was 1. Goes to bed at 730pm, wakes up at 6am , her nap used to be at 1230 and would nap until about 2.the last 6 months though she hasn’t napped.

2 Likes

We go to bed 830
Wake up at 8

3 and 5yo go to bed at 7:30 and no naps.

1 Like

My daughter wakes up at about 5:45-6, she lays down for her nap at 11:45 and is asleep by 12, sleeps for almost two hours, and then I put her to bed around 7:15 and she’s asleep by 7:45-8. It works so well with my schedule and I try my best to always stick to it!

Wakeup 8 am
1st nap 12pm
2nd nap 4pm
Bedtime 8pm
-OR-
Wake up 8 am
Nap 1pm or 2pm
Bedtime 8pm

My daughter goes to bed between 7pm and 8pm and is up at 6am to 7am and she’s almost 2

9pm is everyone’s bed time my kids wake up at 6am and on the weekends they wake up at 8/8:30 my 2yo’s nap time is 11am/12 if he misses it he can not nap or he will be up all night

At two our routine was bed by 730-8 at the very latest. Usually up around 730. One nap at around noon. Our younger son was a little different. He slept longer so he was bed between 7-730. Our youngest is 3.5 now and he’s ready to drop the nap.

Mine woke between 6.30-7.30am at about that age. After lunch was quiet time and sometimes they slept, sometimes they layed quietly reading. Bed was generally 7.30-8pm unless we were out.

1 Like

All the sudden I feel bad for my 11, 12, & 13 year old who have an 8:30 bedtime :joy::joy: maybe it’s time to extend it by an hour or so :joy::joy::woman_shrugging:

My 2 yr old goes to bed at 8 and wakes about 7. Naps from 12-2. As soon as she sees it’s dark she wants to go to bed but I keep her busy for a few hours because I don’t want her in bed at 6. Lol

My 2 year old goes to bed 7, Is asleep by 730. Wakes between 630 and 7.

Nap time depends on how long he sleeps at night and ehat time he goes to bed and wakes up. Bed time is whatever works for your family

7am to 7pm . All be the time .

My 19 month old wakes up at 8AM. Has 1 nap at 12pm. Then is out for the night at 9PM.

It doesn’t really matter as long as ur consistent.

1 Like

Up at 630-7, nap from 12-2, bed at 630-7

My 2 and a half year old wake up at 8am. Nap at 2:30p to 4:30p and bath at 8:30p bet at 9pm. But if no nap bath at 7:30p bet at 8pm

Bed at 7:30, wakes up around 6:30/7. Nap from 1-3.

1 Like

2 and 5 yo’s go to bed at 8pm. Almost 6 mo goes to bed at 7pm.
They all wake up from 6-7am.
5 yo doesn’t nap, 2 yo naps from 12-2, baby still naps 3 times a day.

My almost 2 yr old wakes at 8am. Noon nap. Falls asleep around 8:30p. Most my kids stop taking naps once they’ve turned 2/3. Otherwise they don’t go to bed at a decent time at night. I put my 4, now 5 yr old in all day preschool that have them take naps and it has screwed up her sleep cycle so bad. I can’t wait for this year to be over.

My 4 yr old wakes up at 6:30am. Normal nap is around 2-5. He wakes up by 5 and goes to bed by 10pm

If he doesnt nap or it’s a very short one he goes to bed by 8:30

We are 9pm-9am. No nap.

1 Like

My 2 year old goes to bed at 7:00-7:30pm she has lunch then she goes for quite time in her room where she can choose to play or nap so if she does nap she falls asleep at 3pm or just after and I wake her for her tea at 5pm then bath and bed but she wakes up anywhere from 7:30-8:00am

I’ve always made bedtime between 7:30-8 PM for my 2 little ones. It depends on what kind of day they’ve had. Around 7PM I turn off all the bright lights and we relax together and have a snack. They are 5 and 4 and both have given up naptime at home lol…some days they randomly nap, but that’s rare lately. I won’t let them nap past 3:30PM though because then they wont sleep at night. They wake up between 6:30-7AM most days.

Bed at 8-8.30pm wakes at 6-6.30am
Usually naps from 1-2.30pm
He’s 2 next month

My son turned 3 in September. He’s been off naps for awhile and only takes them occasionally. He goes to bed between 7:30-8pm and wakes up between 6:30-7am

My 2 year old is very hard to get to sleep. He’s just so hyper. We’ve been struggling with a routine. He stays up until midnight sometimes even 2 am then will sleep until 10 sometimes noon. I’ve been trying not to let him nap at all so that we get him to sleep earlier. He tries to nap around 6 pm and even with only a 30 minute nap he stays up all night :woman_facepalming:t2:

Wakes up around 730, bedtime around 745. No nap.

By 9pm bed…nap after a good lunch. Then 12pm or 1230 nap time. then should get up by 8am as early as 7am

2 is down between 7:30 and 8:30 up at 7-8:00. Also depends if he naps or not.

Bedtime 8:30, wakes at 7:30. Nap at 12:45 wakes from nap at 2:30

1 Like

My kiddos bedtime has always been 8pm

My youngest is 18 months and she let’s me know around 7-7:30 shes ready for bed (she grabs a diaper and her blankies and throws them at me) then she gets up when I do to get her older sisters and dad up for work so around 6:30. Then she’ll take a morning power nap - about twenty minutes - somewhere around 9:45-10. Her “long nap” is just after lunch, normally around 12:15 or so, until 2pm. Of my three kiddos she is the best sleeper and the only one who actually looks forward to sleeping and the letting me know shes ready shes started all on her own. I don’t set a strict “you have to go to bed” for her and that seems to make a difference.

1 Like

Between 6:30 and 730 up
School for him by 9 to 1

Naps around 1:30 to 4pm doesn’t sleep this full time he goes down for 1hr to 1 hr 45 mins.

Bed time is between 7 and 8:30 I like a schedule with some give that way if I need to grocery shop after work and his school day ending I can, or if we do a theme park or zoo etc

My daughter went to bed around 8:30-9 and got up around 5-7 she never really was consistent. She rarely had one nap a day. She also still now at almost 11 doesn’t sleep through a night. My son was clock work 6:30-6:30. He napped 2x3 times a day one 1 hour and 2 30 minute naps. Every kids is different.

My 1 and 3 year old are in bed by 9pm. I usually take them to bed bed at 8:30 as it’ll take them half an hour to calm down and fall asleep. Then, they wake up at 7am for daycare.

Wake up at 7.
No nap, their choice I lay them down around 1.
Bedtime at 630.

Awake around 6:30 - 7am. Nap around 12:30 - 1pm. Bedtime between 7pm - 7:30pm.

We put ours to bed at 7/8

1 Like

Our 2year old no naps
An 9-930pm bedtime will sleep till about 9am then as well with one wake for a drink on occasion

My almost 2 year old has been going to bed between 8 and 9 every night wake up time and naps are different everyday though

My son will be 2 this month. He goes to bed between 8-830p. He wakes up between 7-730. Usually he naps anywhere between 1-2h a day, and those usually start between 12-1.

My son is 2½. We start bed time routine at 645. He’s in bed by 715, asleep by 8-830. Up at sometimes 8-9am, depending in the day. I’ve had this routine since he was 2 months old. Otherwise it would be chaos lol.
Oh and he still naps 2-3 hours everyday after lunch.

1 Like

Mine is 20 months. She goes to bed between 7:30 & 8, wakes up between 6:30 & 7. Nap time is 11:30 or 12, she usually naps for 1.5hrs.

Mine sleep 7-7. Sometimes up in there. Afternoon nap of 1-2 hours, whatever they do.

Wakeup 5am. Nap 10:30-12:30. Bedtime between 7:15-7:30. It just all depends on your child. What works for one may not work for another. Best of luck to you! :slightly_smiling_face:

Bed at 8night time and a 2hour nap during the day normally after their lunch from 12.30 to 2.30

Look up wake windows. That’s what we follow and it works great for our family!

My son will be three next month. His bedtime is 9 on week days, on weekends 10 so he has extra time with daddy and his siblings. Naptime is always 1pm and sleep til 2:30

My kids bedtime have been 8pm since they were babies. They both 9 and 6 now and they still have the same bedtime. They typically wake up between 7am-8am.

29 month old, no real schedule. Bedtime between 8-11pm. Wake up between 7:30-10am. Naps for 4 hours on days he wakes up early. Days he doesn’t nap, earlier bed time.

I wake my 2yr old around 7.30 during the week but if he’s left to sleep he could sleep all morning till like 9 or 10 :see_no_evil: he naps around 12/1ish for a few hours then bed around 8/8.30. he does take a while to drift off though.

6:30/7:00 is the latest to go to bed. Before they get their second wind. Wake up 7:00

I have a 3 year old her bedtime is 8pm have to wake up at 630am during the week she takes naps for hour and a half a daycare. On weekends same schedule but wakes up on own before 8am doesn’t like naps but has quiet time for at least an hour whether she goes to sleep or not. Always keep a schedule!

My 2.5 year old is in bed between 8 and 9pm. She wakes between 7-9 am.

My 3yo wakes up 6:30-7:30 am and doesn’t nap anymore but has “quiet time” in her room for an hr or so to read or watch her tv (for my own sanity :sweat_smile:) and goes to bed at 7, we let her watch her tv until she falls asleep which doesn’t usually take long.

2 year old is in bed by 7pm asleep by 7.10 and up at 8am weekdays closer to 9 to weekends and he doesn’t nap during the day

My kids go to bed at 9. 1 and 5. They 5 year old doesn’t take a nap but rare occasions the one year old takes a nap around 11 for about 1.5-2 hours and around 4 ish for no more that 1.5 hours and then play time, dinner, clean up after dinner, milk, put big brother to bed, rock and and nurses to sleep.

Our son goes to bed around 7-8pm, and usually wakes up around 6-7. Nap time is 1145-2 (which is his daycare nap time)

Bed is 8pm. Wake anywhere from 7am-8am. Nap is around 1-2 and she usually sleeps about 2hrs.

My kids go to bed around 8-9, wake up around 7-8 and take a nap anywhere from 10:30-12 for 2 hours.

8pm bedtime. Wakes up at 7am and naps 1230 to 3. He’s 21 months

My older boys when they were babies - bedtime was 8pm, they were up at 730am and a nap at 2pm-4pm until they were school age. Then no naps but still bed at 8pm and up at 730am.
My three year old and 1.5 year old are in bed by 8pm. If they have a nap it’s at 2 til 330. If they have a nap they’re up at 930am if they don’t have a nap they’re up at 10am.
We homeschool bc of the world now, so we don’t start school til noon so the older boys can sleep.

Routines are key for all kids. I stuck with 8pm (along with whatever naps they needed during the day) and they woke up about six or seven. As they got older I adjusted the times as I thought each individual kid would be okay with.

If you don’t have them on a schedule when they start school they are going to have a really rough time.

Not to mention the fact that parents need some unwinding time before they go to sleep.

Bed time for my 5 were always around 730 for many years, no later

2 Likes

My 2 yr old goes to bed at 7:15 and gets up about 7-7:30 and takes a 2-3 hr nap at about 11:45 :grin: In My experience kids thrive in a good routine!

2 Likes

My daughter was in bed by 7pm and up at 8am at that age. No naps.
My son cried to get to bed at 5.30pm and was up at 8am…napped for 2 /3 hours after lunch
Every child has different needs…you work with them

I think it all depends on what works for you and your family’s schedule.

I work at 6 am so am not home for morning wake up and my fiancé works evenings until 11 so early mornings don’t work

So giving our work schedules …Our 15 month old wakes up between 9:30-10:00 and then has 1- 3 hour nap from 2-5 or 1-4 whenever she gets super tired. And then it’s bed time between 9 and 9:30

It works really well for us and also aligns with the day care times we have her in for :blush:

1 Like

My son is 2 and he has his own time of 9-9:30 and he wakes up between 7:30. He goes to the daycare I work at so nap time is 12:30-2:30

8pm bedtime unless they fall asleep before then like 6 or 7 on their own nap time after lunch time so feed lunch from 12:00 until some of full and nap time after that wake time really depends on how early they went to sleep went to bed late wake up late went to bed early wake up early it’s good to have a routine just keep in mind this is a 2 year old and some may not nap and incase they don’t do the nap thing don’t get upset I definitely did not take naps but we did have quiet time in our rooms lights stayed off we were allowed to read and lay down but were never forced to sleep I had ADHD growing up I just have ADD now and so it was very hard for me to get my mind to shut off enough to nap but I did stay in my room and I did stay quiet some days I napped some days I didn’t make sure you follow your child’s pace not every child is the same so you can’t treat them the same :heart:

1 Like

Up between 7-8 nap at 12/12:30to 2/2:30 bedtime 7/7:30 - 8/8:30

1 Like

My two year old was in bed by 7, up at 6am, and napped around noon. My two are now 5 and 3 and they both still go to bed at 7 but they sleep until 7 and no longer nap. When the oldest starts school he will have to get up a little earlier.

2 Likes

My little girl is 1.5(20m) and just dropped her nap. She goes down at 6pm, wakes around 9:30/10pm but goes straight back down, then sleeps through till 6am.

My daughter goes to bed at 9, wakes up at 10, and takes a nap from 2-4

2 Likes