What is decent pay for a 15-year-old babysitter?

Hi! I have an anon question. I’m trying to figure out what decent pay is for a 15 year old baby sitter. She will be staying with a 10 and 12 year old. Mainly to be there if they need something. It will be for 8-12 hours. Thanks!

9 Likes

We pay my niece $30 when she baby sits my 3 year old.

I pay $20 a day. That’s for my 2 year old.

1 Like

I would think $5 :woman_shrugging:t2:

9 Likes

I would say $10/hr… minimum wage is $9.25 feel like she should at least be paid a little more than that to watch your children

100.00 for the 2 kids @ 8-10 hours

7 Likes

I would say like $20-25

We pay $10 an hour for our daughter who is six

1 Like

45 for the 8-10 hours

2 Likes

Is it the age or her service your paying for?

6 Likes

At least make minimum wage

We pay $10 an hour. That’s pretty standard I think.

1 Like

It depends on where you live. For example, in nyc it would be over $100 for the day, but in Iowa or Kansas you may get $35 for the day. Pay her the same you would pay an adult, as she will be having the same responsibility as an adult.

6 Likes

How much should an experienced babysitter make an hour. Being 25 y/o with two children of her own? Asking for a friend

Is she cpr/first aid trained? Is it during the day or over night? I would say generally $10 hr.

It’s illegal to work minors over 8 hours on school nights. Also pay them minimum wage at the least. Whether they’re 15 or 20 they’re still working.

2 Likes

It all depends where you live. For 2 kids it’s about $25 an hour.

for a 10 & 13 year old? I think $40 for the day is sufficient… she’s literally going to be there to feed them and in case of emergency.

6 Likes

When i was 15 8 hours would get me about 45-50 dollars 12 would get me 75-80 for the day. I would cook and clean and entertain the kids so sometimes I would get more

She’s 3 years older than your daughter .find someone older.

4 Likes

We pay ours $12.50 an hour.

1 Like

10 per hour she’s still working 8-12 hours is a long time.

Shit I used to get 15-20$ an HOUR at that age to babysit.

When I was a teen I only charged $5 an hour per kid
That’s the same prices my teenage girls charge now

1 Like

My 16 year old gets paid $50 to 60 for one child 9pm to 8am and he is sleeping. For 2 kids I would say at least 11 per hour

I think 40 a day is perfect. These kids are almost old enough to babysit themselves so she’s only there in case of an emergency or to cook possibly

5 Likes

As a teen I got paid $50 a day from whatever time the kids woke up until 3 pm. They also left money for food.

I used to get paid $ 20 per kid, per night. Roughly $2/hr per kid

2 Likes

Okay is this a set day or several days? I would charge$30 a day to watch siblings in my in home daycare.

2 Likes

Child care around here is about $25/30 a day for one. Usually there’s a discount for two kiddos.

1 Like

I’d say it depends. Does the teen have experience? Is she CPR certified? Has she taken babysitter courses? Will she be doing activities with them? Talk with her parents and agree on something reasonable. Nothing less than minimum wage though.

I’d discuss it with her i mean you have to be making something to no point in working if your whole check is going to the babysitter either with it being two kids who are old enough to most likely entertain themselves other than feeding them and being there just in case of a emergency id say $50 a day should be good for 8-12hours for 2 kids but i personally wouldn’t leave my child with a 15 year old when they are almost the same age anyways.

7 Likes

Childcare near me is usually from $2 a hour to $30 a day.

What are your children worth?

2 Likes

When I baby sat I charged 10 and hour for my sister but her friends would have to pay 15 an hour bc them not being family.

I’d charge 12.50hr for 10-12 hrs. From 8-9 hrs I’d charge 10 hr

2 Likes

I watch kids in my home for $20 a day

1 Like

I pay $20 a day for two kids all day, but I can’t afford to work just to pay the sitter

1 Like

20$ a day she is caring for two other children that can manage them self’s seems like she will just make sure they don’t burn the house down

3 Likes

50 and make sure there’s food

3 Likes

Going rate here is $12.00-$15.00 per hour.

3 Likes

10/hour is good for 8-12 hours and also run it pass her parents too to see if it is okay some parents don’t want their teenagers to have access to a lot of money

1 Like

Her age shouldn’t matter. You don’t dehumanize someone because they aren’t of age. Babysitting is a lot more than just staying with them in case they need something. Kids are a lot of work, especially for someone who is just a kid themselves. You treat her like any other working woman and you pay her what she deserves.

14 Likes

I never asked for more than 20 a day and I’ve watched alot of kiddos

Is she mature enough for this job ask someone who noes about it I had a 16 yr old girl when mine were little but yours are a lot older almost as old as her and for 10 hrs at a time I was never gone more then 3 or 4 hrs

For those saying $20 a day its bc you run an inhome daycare. A one time sitter for 8 to 12 hrs is not the same thing. Because the kids are older and she will only be supervising and I assume helping with feeding them, $50-70 would probably be fair.

4 Likes

She is asking for a one time sitter…this is not the same as a daycare center or inhome daycare where they charge weekly, where, yes, it would normally come out to be $20-40 a day

40 a day. 20$ per kid per dat

1 Like

It’s this is going to be a regular setup, I’d do a weekly pay rate or a daily. I wouldn’t do it by the hour.
$12/$15 an hour is crazy. That’s almost 2500 a month. Most people don’t make that an hour.
Especially watching children that old, that really aren’t needy.
If this is a one time sitter situation, I’d offer her $50 bucks.

5 Likes

$20 for 8-12 hours?!? Insane!!! $10/hr at least

6 Likes

Food,rent some movies,and$25

1 Like

Would you work an 8-12 hour shift for $20? Nope! I wouldn’t either. I’d say $75-$100/day minimum.

7 Likes

I wouldn’t pay her less than $50 for one day

1 Like

Flat rate for the day, maybe $50-$75, given the childrens’ ages she’s not doing much, just there to supervise and prevent harm, some food prep and making sure they clean up. Area may play a role but babysitting is work, monitoring isn’t much. Plus she’s using ur tv, WiFi and eating ur food while there.

3 Likes

A bit young for her to be staying with them for so long. I would get someone older

1 Like

When I was 15 I made $10/hr to babysit. And that was 13 years ago.

2 Likes

I would get paid 80 a week for 2 kids who got dropped off at my house and came with their own snacks. $20 if i just watched them for an hour or two.

Because the kids are older and require a lot less attention than small kids I think 30 to 40 a day is good if that what the babysitter expects. If they were smaller I would say more money. And I would also buy her extras like gifts and such

Nothing less than 50 for the day

Does she drive? My sitters who are 15yo have to have a License and be able to drive. I have an 11yo and 3.5yo and need sitters from time to time for 1.5-3hrs and they get paid $40-60 a hour because they drive and they can do more than just sit home especially if an accident happened. I pay my sitters well because they are giving up time with their friends so I can go out with mine.

Considering she doesnt actually need to watch or really take care of them id give $20. I give my baby sitters $25-$30 to watch my kids ages 9 mons 2yrs 5yrs and 7yrs for 3-4hrs. And my older 2 take care of themselves. I also have dinner made most of the time so she doesnt have to do that.

$20 a day or minimal wage an hour.

It depends on how many kids, if any have extra needs, and the care the babysitter gives (responsibilities.) If meals need to be prepared or already prepared & the cost of living in your area. Be fair not cheap because you may need them again.

1 Like

I pay our 13 year old babysitter who has taken the safe sitter course $50 for a 4 hour shift; kids are 6 and 1

I would say at least $50 plus food and drinks while she’s there.

6-10 dollars per hour

Some of y’all are the cheapest people I’ve seen :joy: you guys would be the parents to pay 5 dollars and hour and complain about the dumbest thing

Ask the lady what she wants and if you don’t like if true to compromise or find someone in your budget

I’ve worked with kids for 10 years and have a degree in education and a certificate and my trainings

I ask for between 10-15 based on amount of kids and what’s involved and biggest thing is travel :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Just because they are sleeping doesn’t mean you don’t pay them or pay them well, they are still there protecting your kids and house

9 Likes

My daughter charges $6/hour for one kid and $1 more per hour for each additional. She pays her own gas to and from the home.

$20/day for a 8-12 hours is ridiculous. Give her about $10/hr $5 per kid

3 Likes

Location is a huge factor.

I’d say $60 minimum that’s $5 an hour if its 12 hours. They aren’t babies. Its not much work.

4 Likes

At 15 I’d bring home between $60-$120

1 Like

If it’s more than one day, like weekly, I’d pay $15 for 8 hrs or $20 for 12 a day. If it’s just one day I’d pay $30

3 Likes

$10 an hour, especially if they’re going to be with your child for a full work day or longer. The sitter is 15. She could be doing anything else for a job but she’s watching your kids. Don’t stiff her.

4 Likes

It’s still a job. I would pay her at least $10 an hr. I would remember we pay for what we get. For $20 a day she’ll probably give up easy just not turn up. That’s not worth a monkeys butt & yet some people reccomend it. LOL. I wouldn’t be game leaving my kids with someone I’ve ripped off like that.

1 Like

For a one time thing I’d offer probably 60 bucks. If it’s a daily or weekly thing I’d offer 30 a day for two kids.

Idk. Sometimes I think pay should be based off off child behavior expectancy…see below for example :joy:

1 Like

That would depend on minimum wage in your area teenagers around here dont get no $10 an hour not even at their 1st job. Even when I was working in day care as an adult I was only making $9 an hour.
Cheap is relative depending on where you’re from.

We pay 8 bucks an hour for very independent 8 and 10 year old. They just sit on the couch, watch TV, go on the IPad, and make sure they don’t burn the house down. They typically go the their house where the parents prepare lunch/snacks.

1 Like

I worked for SUPER cheap, but my flat rate was 7.50 per kid for 6 hours. and then $3 an hour after the 6. So for 8 hours it would be $15 + 3 + 3 – $21. I always worked for cheap as I figured they were feeding me, providing me with TV, and the kiddos were usually easy :woman_shrugging:. Mire difficult kiddos I charged a little more.
I also had a few families that refused to pay me that little. I would walk away with 110$ for watching 2 babies sleep for 5-6 hours. It depends on where you are financially, I suppose.

2 Likes

Daycares here make $3 per kid per hour but if it’s your home I’d definitely say 4-5 per kid per hour… so for 8-12 I’d say probably 100-120.

1 Like

Y’all saying $10 an hr but most ppl don’t even make that much an hr. :laughing::laughing::laughing: ain’t no way i would pay $10 an hr.

5 Likes

$5/hour/kid MINIMUM.

For a one time thing, $30-$40. It’s a 15 year old.

Now I pay a daily sitter $20/day per child, for excellent care. People who keep kids in their homes have more than one kid at a time. If keeping kids paid $10/hr., per kid, we would all quit our jobs and do it.

3 Likes

Do a budget! Figure out what you can afford, then make your offer with baby sitter and baby sitter parents (since she is under 18). Nobody knows how much you make or how much or bills are, or what state you are in (as to what state min wage is). For example, some people say $10 an hour, well if you only make $10 an hour, that just obviously isn’t going to work. Now i am not saying stiff her, but a budget will help you find out what you can afford.

It depends on her experience. A teenager who’s been around the block a few times babysitting will expect more than one who’s only babysat once. For 8-12 hours and house-sitting I’d say about $10 an hour plus food.

A normal pay rate you’d pay anyone of any age!! Her age doesn’t make her job any less, an 8-12 hour day is a normal job. Pay her properly.

3 Likes

Please be kind to her and pay her what you would someone to pay if you were to be in her shoes.

14 years ago when I was unemployed I agreed to babysit a 6 month old girl 5 days a week.the mom brought her to my place and it was a 12 hour shift.she even brought the baby’s dirty toweling nappies and i would wash them for her.she gave me R200 South African rands monthly.I did it for a year and fell inlove with the little doll.One day i told her i can’t do it anymore as i was pregnant and expecting my own child.she was mean and stingy and probably thought I had nothing better to do.6 years down the line at my work place i hear a knock at the door,when i open it’s my former employer.mouth agog she asked what I was doing there and I told her I was there to render a service to her.I was a nursing sister with my own consultation room and I was seeing pediatric patients 5 years and below.the lady had brought her young son as he was sick.full circle I call it.Be kind to everyone

If you supply food I’d say $10 p/h
If not I’d raise to $15-$20 p/h.

When I was 17 i watched a 5 and 7 year old 8 hours a day for $20 a day

It depends…
It depends on your pay and your area.

Minimum wage. She wants a job don’t jip her pay.

Is it a 1x deal or daily?

I generally pay 50 for four hours and under, and 100 after that. We have three kids, and always provide food, and pay for activities.

1 Like

My little sister is 16, she watches my kids (1yr and 7yrs) for me on occasion! Usually she will bring her own snacks with her. If she’s putting them to bed and she will be here late or staying overnight I’ll give her $50 for both kids; if she’s only here for a few hours I give her $20. We’ve also put gas in the vehicle she drives and paid her $100 for any “special events” (weddings etc.) I don’t trust many teens these days, I know she goes above and beyond which is why I pay her what I do.

Hmmm here the mininal salary is 12.50 per hour so i would say not less than 12 per hour

Unbelievable. Should be At least $ 10 and hour … SMH.

Her age shouldn’t matter. If she’s old enough to do the job, she’s old enough to get paid as such.

I would go with a simple $20 a day unless you give simple home duties to follow. But the kids are able to care for them selves and she would only be there for there safty and extra cares so all fair like a day care does charge less as age older $1 a child. Seems simple to me.