What is the perfect amount of years between children?

I had four years and 2 months between mine. And I love it. Because my oldest is becoming more independent so I’m not trying to battle doing things for both all day. And hes just the right age to help with his baby brother! He also was more acceptable to him at 4 than my sisters girls were when they were 2 or 3.

It all depends on the child… My oldest would have done best having a younger sibling when she was 2-2.5. I didnt have another until she was 3.5. And its been a handful…9 months later… My oldest still isnt adjusted and still has the single child mindset.

Mine are 4 years apart… perfect if ypu ask me

It’s whatever you prefer or would like… IF you can plan them that easily. We on the other had threw caution to the wind after 4yrs of infertility. We were blessed with 3 in 3 years.

1 Like

My kids will be 2 yrs almost exactly.

There is no perfect amount or years between kids.

1 Like

Mine will be around 23 months apart

My kids are 10, 4 and newborn. My 4yr old loves her baby brother and is so connected to him already. My 10 and 4yr old fight like crazy. The smaller gap seems to be easier. It is nice having an older child to help around the house and help cook when I’m taking care of her baby brother.

5 or 6 I think. Mine are each 2 years and 9 months apart. But I always wanted about 5years because they’re old enough to want a sibling at this point and usually welcome them more and have less jealousy when they’re born and are suddenly not getting 100% of your time. X

My 2 are 10 years apart… and about to have a baby in a few weeks… youngest 2 will be 19 months apart

Almost 10, almost 3 and due in a week. I never planned on any more after my first so the gap wasn’t intentional. I like the idea of just shy of 3 years apart.

My kids are 2 years apart and it been great.
My brother and I were 13 months apart and we’re super close growing up, and my sister and I were 5.5 years apart and did not get along at all.

It never goes as planned just enjoy!

I have a 1 and 2 year old.

Theyre literally slowly killing me lol everyone said, “They’ll be best friends!” Uh yeah. Like 10% of the time they love each other. 90% of the time they’re beating the crap out of each other. It didn’t get a little better until my oldest turned 2 and my 1 year old started walking. Before that it was so hard trying to find a routine that worked for us.

I think 2 to 4 years is a great age gap. Wait until your baby is like 1 then try. At 2 they get independent and can do certain things without you. Plus potty training so you’re not slammed in diapers.

Mine are 2 years apart.

My oldest was not quite to I think she was like 19 months when I had the second one which wasn’t really planned but back as old as I am and as old as my kids are birth control was not the pill it was a something you’re inserted I can’t think of the name anyway my second child was born in October before my next one turn to in March but they’re both being girls and the oldest was pretty motherly so they both still took naps the oldest one was potty trained shortly thereafter just because she was and so I only had one in diapers and then my son was like four years later

Mine are 2yrs 8mo apart and I love it but I wish they were a little closer together. We’re going to start trying again for #3 in November. My 2nd will be 9mo at the end of November.

I’ve got 5 and 2 years in between was perfect for them. For me I would have stopped after the 1st. :joy:

In all seriousness, I think a 2 year gap is perfect bc they can still relate while they are younger and play together. As they have gotten older it’s made them closer and do things outside the out together and have the same friends so they always have eachother’s back.

Mine are 1 1/2 years apart. My next one will be three years apart and we agreed we want one more immediately after that so that one has someone closer in age to play with. Then we are done.

I’m five years younger than my brother. It was a pain growing up. My son will 1 year 8 months when his brother is born!

There’s 16 months between my 1st and 2nd, there’s 10 months between my 2nd and 3rd, there’s 10 months between my 3rd and 4th and there’s 3 years between my 4th and 5th

My son is about to be 7 and he still doesn’t have a siblings :woman_shrugging:t3:

It’s what you feel you want and can handle. My mom only wanted one, my sister is 9 years younger than me. We are close now but there was times it was rough. She couldn’t do things I could and I felt bad at times because she couldn’t do them. My boys are 21 months apart. Oldest hated baby until he was about 2 years, now they don’t know what to do without each other, they still fight because that’s what siblings do. It’s all on what you can deal with, having two super close is rough. Until you find a groove that works for you.

Mine are 15 months and a day apart, no regrets. Just made sure to pay equal attention.

Mine are 1 year 7 months, perfect. Daughter than son.They grew up together, had a playmate, defenders, far enough I didnt have 2 in diapers, adored each other and to this day they are each others number one fan

There is no right answer to this. My first two kids (both boys) are 15 months apart. I had my third child (girl) and there is a 8year gap between her and my middle child. Currently they are 11 years, 10 years and 22 months old. Boys are best friends and the worst of enemies! The bond between the older ones and my daughter is unbelievable! They dote on her and will always help me with her if needed.

My son has a 23 year old and a 1 year old

My kids are 2 and 6. It was my perfect for me.

That depends on you, your partner, both your patient with baby’s/kids, financial situation and probably how many you want. It’s gonna be different for everyone. My 2 kids are just under 4 years apart.

I have 4 kids and I like the age gap between my oldest and 2nd born which is 3 years. The 2nd and 3rd are only 2 years apart and they fight all the time

My second is 3 yrs younger than my first and my third is 20 yrs younger than my second… going with the flow over here

There is no perfect time
Have them when you are emotionally ready

Mine are 2.5 years apart and I think that is an ok amount of time but I think right at 2 years or a little less would have been better.

I have 3 boys. Only 29 months between youngest and oldest. Currently 3 2 and 1. It is so hard but the bond with them is so awesome

I have 3 kids. My oldest & middle child are 3 years apart. As to where my middle child & the baby are 10 MONTHS apart. I find it easier still to this day with them being closer in age. They’re now 7, 4, & 3. My 7 & 4 year old fight a lot bc the 7 year old likes older mature stuff and my 4 year old wants to do whatever his brother wants. The 4 & 3 year old are best friends. They fight less then the older two. However, it is expensive. Especially because they were in diapers at the same time & daycare cost. But they hit milestones together especially with potty training. Their sleep routines even synced up. I think it’s different for everyone, but I’m glad to have my Irish twins.

Honestly no age gap is to far apart is bad rather close together or years apart. I have 4 boys they are 5,3,2 and 5 months. It gets crazy sometime especially at the beginning but now it easy in a way.

Mine where 3 years apart and worked for me.

My son turned 4 the month after my daughter was born…perfect timing!

Even though you are a planner, just give it some time. You never know what your life wlll be like a year from now, or two. A lot can happen in that amount of time. Some good, some bad. Wait and see what the future holds before you definately decide when to birth your next baby.

I have 7 kids and the first three are about 5 years apart. Each child was like the only child because the older ones were going off to school. I had way more time to focus on each child. The last 4 are about two years apart. I thought they would play together. They fight together :face_with_raised_eyebrow::sweat_smile: They gang up on me a plot to destroy the universe everyday…

5 Likes

My oldest and my middle are 3.5 years apart, my middle and my little man are 20 months apart. It took me a year of planning and trying to get pregnant with Middle so we weren’t paying attention and found out about little man on her first birthday. The 3.5 year age gap between 1 and 2 was perfect for us, and, ideally, what we planned on doing between 2 and 3 but yknow life had other plans. It was hell on me, my pregnancy with my son had no joy because I was always in pain and exhausted. I went to the hospital four times for kidney and dehydration issues. I feel like I missed out on a lot of my middle daughter’s toddlerdom (she was a GREAT toddler and a super easy baby, I just feel like I didn’t get to enjoy it all) because of being so worn down.

Mine last 2 are 2 years apart and its wonderful they are the best of friends and look out for each other constantly!! My oldest struggles with them because he was an only child for so long that he never fully got over having to share and hes 11!! So I’d say when shes 2 would be best. And shell be sucha big help because at that age they adore anything baby!! I kid you not if I’m trying to get my daughters attention but she wont listen and I see hey look theres a baby! She drops everything shes doing and runs to the baby! Its adorable actually!

I have a 16 (almost 17) year old son, an 8 year old son and a daughter that will be 3 in August. I think it depends on the individual. Do you want your kids to be close in age so they have a playmate or do you want your kids further apart. I got mine when God gave them to me :heart:. He knew what he was doing. Many blessings to you. They sure grow up fast.

2 Likes

I have 2 daughters 10 years apart and the oldest was the best helper. They are now 22 and 12 and always been the best of friends. Even though my oldest is off on her own she makes time everyday facetiming her sister and makes time every week to spend with her. I personally love the gap between them.

I have 5 … there was 4 years between my 1st and 2nd… I think that was to long… then there is so I was pregnant when my 2nd was 2… my 3rd and 4th were 14 months apart which is lovely… then I had another 3 year gap with my 5th. … hands down i love the close age.

My first two are 15 1/2 months apart. They fight constantly, they are both girls. My 3rd and last girl is 7 years apart from the middle child (10) and they play along great. The oldest (11) is a little bossy to both kids, but that’s just how she is. I think I had them too close together for the first two , and the last one is quite a gap but I actually don’t mind it. Now I babysit a girl that’s 2 years and 2 months younger than my youngest (3) and they get along really well playing.

My kidsare 3 2 and 1 and they’re all the best of friends. I think it’s way easier this way. And then my stepson who is only 7 hates all the younger kids. It’s a complete mess. Sharing, punching, kicking. Etc. It is really really hard. I’m sure other people have better experiences but in my case he was used to being the only child, and spoiled rotten so even watching his siblings eat food irritates him and hes horribly mean. It’s a really sad situation. (And yes they all get the same attention, toys, etc were not horrible people) lol
As far as birth control it takes time after you’re off.

I wanted mine 2 years apart. They were supposed to be just over 2 years but we lost our first son. My daughter & 2nd son are 3 years & 4 months apart. My older bro is 22 months older & we always got along. My middle bro is 3 years younger & we never have. I was worried about mine being 3 years apart. That extra year. I don’t know what it is. Mine fight a lot. Of course my daughter is so mean & my son is a sweet boy.

My kids are born, 4-98. 1-01. 11-02. 12-04. 12-07. And i woildnt have it any other way. Honestly i like my 01 and 02 being do close in age. They have a different bond than the rest.

Mine are 16, 15, 13, and 12 (3 girls one boy). For the most part they are each others best friends, they always have a partner…they aren’t perfect and have their moments of course…but if I had to choose again I’d do it the same way all over again! I also feel it is a personal choice, I knew I wanted mine close like my sister and I are.

Depends on how old you are? The older you get the more risk there is to mother and baby. The closer in age the closer bond they will haVe.

Mine were 4 yrs apart. Loved the age difference!!! We could enjoy both kids and never felt that 1 was getting more attention than the other. Just my opinion .

Mine were born in 97, 99, and 03 as far as taking awhile to get birth control out of your system that is not necessarily true. It may for some but I was pg about 2 weeks after I stopped mine. Anyway I just wanted my kids potty trained before I had another. It worked out well for us. Best of luck

My sister and I are 2 years apart…it was wonderful growing up and my parents always talked about how much easier it was than waiting longer…I tried to have my 2 sons 2 years apart but it just didnt happen that way…(4 miscarriages in between) my boys are 8 years apart and it’s been a very big adjustment…my oldest was the baby for so long he’s having to learn to share us with someone else and I think it would’ve been easier if it could’ve happened at a younger age.

1 Like

My kids are 12.5 yrs apart from the same relationship, not planned like that but its the way life happened. There’s no perfect amount of yrs between children. What works for some doesn’t work for others. Some people I know have stair step kids and they love that the kids can grow up together and parents can get thru each phases at once. Whereas the big gap works well for us. The teen helps a lot with little while hubby is working.

We have a 4 month old and an 8 year old. Honestly, I enjoy the gap. I shutter to think of having a toddler while doing the newborn phase.

It’s all up to you. Ours are going to be almost 4 years apart when we have our second one. Our son will be 4 end of august and our daughter is due beginning of August. We wanted them close in age but not to close.

I have a 27, 17 & 13 year olds. In spite of the age differences I did my best to raise them to be there for each other no matter what. My children are very close & there is even a 5 year old in the mix😍. To me deciding when to add to your family is based on personal circumstances. Praying about everything always helps.

What is good for everyone else might not be best for you. My first two sons are 2years & 3 months apart & last son was 4 years & 6 months later. The two that were closer together got along the best.

My girl & boy are 3 years apart now 7 & 4. I will say if you have two working parents and you have to use daycare. I had to pay for two kids daycare for about 1 year.

Good luck with planning. God doesn’t always agree with the plan you form. You please be thankful to have your children in his plan.

My husband has a 43yo from a prior and we have a 21yo and a 19yo together. Have your 2nd whenever you want.

Mine are a year and a half apart. It worked out good because they had each other to play with.

My doctors always wait 2 years, allow womans body to heal, strengthen and baby to be out of diapers before getting pregnant again.

I had 3 kids in less than 4 years, all girls, it was hard as a small children, but they grew up close

There isn’t one. My first 2 were 27 months and the 2nd and 3rd were 5 years. It was all an adventure and they all get along great.

I have 6- 4 are all about every 16-18 months apart then at 16 almost empty nest I have a 2&3 year old. That are 13 months apart. With all that said 16-18 months apart is great!!!

I have boys almost four years apart. They are best friends.

My kids are 22,17 and 12. I personally love the spread in ages!

Depends on what u want… My kids r all 6-7 yrs apart. I’ll be having my 3rd and final child in Nov. I currently have a 13 yr old and 7 year old.

4 years at least. They are nicer to each other that way. There’s a study about waiting 7 years in-between makes for better rounded kids.

You should wait two years between kids at least because you are supposed to let your body rest since pregnant is hard on your body. I am only on my first kid but I’ve heard it from a few people. I know my siblings are all two years apart, but I don’t think 3 years is too long. I am 7 years older than my sister and 9 and 12 years older than my two brothers.

Medically it is best to wait at least 18 months before trying again.

My babies are all 4 years apart I have 3 it was perfect for us :hugs:

I have 3. There’s 3 years between daughters 1 and 2, and 5 years between 2 and 3. I like 3 years apart, that was perfect for us.

My kids are 3.5 years apart and it’s been hell, all they ever do is fight. I’d try them closer together if I were you

Mine are almost 17, almost 7 and almost 2. I didn’t get to plan when to have mine because I have PCOS and I never know when I’ll ovulate, but I think the younger 2 are closer, but that’s because they’re both girls. I’m just thankful I am able to have my beautiful children :heart:

Mine are 22 months apart and are close to each other. I say go close together.

I think 3 years apart is optimal. Mine were 2 years apart but that was too close.

My two, girl & boy, were born 26 months apart & always got along & still are close 52 yrs later.

I say 3 years. Make sure they are potty trained before you start on the next. Sucks having to buy two different diaper sizes and carrying a bag for two.

Whenever your body is healthy and ready then have one ,dont get caught up in numbers.

My sister has a 16 month old and is due with her second in August and is dreading it :rofl:

3 years is good I had 5 all 3 years apart

Ideally I’d say about 3 years. That way mine and .y husband’s plans but things changed :joy:

My first two are 10 years and my second and third 15 months…

4! That way you pay for 1 college at a time!!! :joy:

Mine are 6years apart. they are very close. would not changeit.

My three girls are all 4 years apart from each other

2-4 years apart is fine. Remember, a 4-year old is not as much maintenance as a 2-year old…

My sons are 37 and 40. It worked well!!

I have 3 kids and their 3 years apart. 7,4, and 1.

2 years apart seems great.

Mine are 20 mos apart. They’re 16&18 now, don’t regret a thing.

All 3 of my kids are 2 years and 10 months apart

I my are 13/9/5/4months and I pregnant with my last baby now

I have 5 kids. 16 15 12 11 10 I love it

According to a scientific study I read, 3 years is optimal for both children and mother.

Don’t always depend on your birth control
Took me 3 years after I got off to get pregnant

1 Like

My oldest and middle child are 5yrs apart and it was good when the middle one was a baby but now they are 8 & 13 and just annoy each other. My middle one and littlest one are 3yrs apart and it was alil hard when the baby was born because the other wanted attention too but now they are 5 & 8 and play real good together and fight too so I’d say 3 yrs.