What rate should I be paid for babysitting?

So someone asked if I could babysit her 6yr old who’s a 1st grader. Mon Tuesday, and Wed. I would have her 7a to 5p all three days. And do hybrid learning. I said 25 per day, but my husband said 30. Making it 3$ per hour for one kid. He said its double the work having the responsibility to not only feed and watch her but making sure all her school work done. R schools r hybrid learning, so kids only go two days a week. She goes Thursday Friday to school… is 30 asking too much? I did agree with him. He made valid points. And he said 3$ an hr was good compared to places. Honest opinions. Just please don’t be rude about it.

93 Likes

$30 is VERY reasonable

3 Likes

Way reasonable. Many would jump at that rate. Most babysitters today average $8-$12 an hour. Very nice to only charge $3 an hour, that’s even below minimum wages. Depending on your state.

3 Likes

25 to 30 is what day cares charge per day. You should at least make 8.

2 Likes

I did in home babysitting for 2 years and charged $20 per day per child with no type of “schooling” just crafty learning activities. So yes that is very a reasonable offer for what you would be doing.

2 Likes

I would charge more than that. The hybrid learning is a job in itself. $3 an hour is below minimum wage.

2 Likes

I found anyone to watch my kids for under $5 an hour per each child. I would say your getting a deal for $3.

One girl said $3 an hour for watching but
$3 for feeding each , $2 for dishes $3 if they needed a bath each … $5 extra to put them to bedeach Ext she had a list …the $3 an hour was littleraly sitting there watching them

I would say $50 is reasonable.my daughter is 15 & babysits occasionally with no school 4 hours she gets $60

maybe see if she can bring food for the times you have her?

30 is extremely reasonable i pay 12 an hour for someone to babysit my kids and thats without them having to help my kids with school work

It depends different states different rates I mean here u can get all day daycare for 20-25

1 Like

Very reasonable!! Cheap actually considering that you are doing remote learning with her as well as child care and meals.

1 Like

Its reasonable for sure but if it’s not its definitely a reasonable starting point if you are dealing with someone who is struggling. Like start with 30 and if it seems like the extra 5 a day would make all the difference negotiate

1 Like

A few yrs back I was paid $90 for the day…

2 Likes

my daughter works at a daycare a babysitter on the side and charges 10.00 an hour

25 or 30 a day is a blessing. I wish you were by me lol

1 Like

Most places around here charge $10 - $15 an hour. I am a single mom and have willing paid $10 an hour for someone to watch my daughter. If you are happy doing $30 a day they are getting a blessing because even drop in care facilities charge $10 an hour when 80 hours are purchased

I suggest a trial of $30/day with an opportunity to re-visit a rate negotiations after say 3-4 weeks. So that you get an idea of the expectations (which can often be more than we bargained for) after doing it for a little while but not locking yourself in? Then even if you stay the same or even add a dollar or two you will both feel that it’s fair for both.

30 dollars for 10 hours ? What a deal! ( for her)

3 Likes

I think its fair what your husband is saying.

1 Like

30 a day is fair. If she’s working an 8 hour day or 10 even that makes her working up to 3 hours to pay you.

I’m certified CPR, First Aid, and worked in childcare for 11yrs. I charge $10 an hour and an additional $5 per child. This is cheap in my area.

Jesus I wish i paid 30 a day. I pay 125 same shift

1 Like

My babysitter made $10 an hour and that was years ago, my daughter is 24 now. I worked nights also so half the hours she was sleeping. $3 is not asking enough for the responsibility you’re taking on. I honestly don’t think I would ever leave my child with someone for that price because I would be worried if she was actually being cared for to be honest. Not saying that personally because I obviously don’t know the poster but that’s definitely low; I guess it depends on geography too…

90 a week is cheap for that many hours and your doing elearning, which should be an anticipated extra cost on her end.

1 Like

Look at competitive pricing at your local daycare, then ask how fair it really is tbh…

1 Like

I’m homeschooling a kid I sit for. Was doing $25 a day to survive, raised it to $35 a day for homeschooling.

1 Like

I’m in NJ but I watched a little boy this summer and was paid $50 a day! Now that is what she offered but I did feed him 2 meals a day out of my pocket! I also do change my rate depending on the amount of money the parent is making

$30 a day is reasonable. Request they bring her food and snacks so that you just have to heat it up.

My daughter gets 13.00 an hour for watching a two year old.

Um. I’d charge at minimum 50 a day. But I live in a more expensive area so 🤷

I make 22.50 a day for the 4th grader I watch and I literally just make sure he gets on the bus and does homework and chores when he gets home off the bus.

we are paying 40/day at the Y for distance learning (7-5:30) and thats very reasonable compared to most places. when we have a sitter we pay $5/hr

I don’t know where you live or what the market is, but that is nothing! Can you live on that? That’s slave wages! I’d say no cheaper than $10 an HOUR!

1 Like

There is way to cheap ! I would say at least $10 an hour. Here in the Bay Area people are paid $25 an hour and not by the day . It’s a lot work for a $25-$30 a day . Good luck!

1 Like

I would take into consideration what the parent makes an hour. A lot of care givers it’s their main earning and want at least minimum wage which is considerably more than $3 an hour. I think it’s reasonable.

If you are doing school work too, you should be paid more.

1 Like

Most people now days due to financial crisis is charging 20-30 a day

I’d say $30 is a reasonable price!

5 Likes

30$ is beyond reasonable

3 Likes

30 isnt bad at all. Especially if you are helping with homework. If this is a friend then do what you feel is best. But honestly 30 isnt bad at all.

I guess it depends on the person you are babysitting for.
Example: My 14 yr old daughter babysat all summer. One of the families could afford to pay her $10 an hour, while another could only afford $4 an hour. It really does depend on their income and if it would even be worth it to go to work. :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

I’d take into consideration this person’s financial situation if you think they have money to spare 30 would be fair if you know money may be tight for them 25 is fair. 6 is a pretty easy age as well your not doing hybrid schooling on hard subjects lol

If you already told her $25 you should honor it

2 Likes

It is according to your area. Search local daycare prices.

1 Like

$30 a day is reasonable

That sounds ok because of the hybrid learning.

1 Like

I think $30 is reasonable

1 Like

You’re shortchanging yourself. I pay $13/hr. Your skill set and your time are way more valuable than $30 a day.

5 Likes

Truthfully, I pay 40-50 for 4-5 hrs of work for them. So it is extremely fair and you are getting a solid deal for your sitter, if they are good for your child even tip them :slightly_smiling_face: especially if they get along with your child too, good babysitters are hard to find

1 Like

I pay 31.25/ day two days a week for my three year old at a pre k

1 Like

If you are teaching, 30 is reasonable…but if you are feeding the kid you need more. I payed 25 a day for my daughter, from 2 months to 2 yrs, always brought diapers, wipes, food, snacks…that gets expensive

1 Like

I think that’s amazing!! In Australia babysitters charge $20 an hour the cheapest :flushed: it’s beyond crazy and when I question it people try and make me feel guilty saying that’s not even minimum wage here :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Depends where honestly. I’m charging $40 per child.

2 Likes

I think $30.00 a day is very reasonable.

1 Like

What! I feel like $30 is outrageously low!?
Why not charge minimum wage in your area? That’s what babysitters in my area do.
Three dollars an hour!!? No way! You are taking care of someone’s child! That’s a lot of work!

13 Likes

10 hours a day and teaching?? $50-$60 a day

4 Likes

Wow I think thats cheap I pay my babysitter $10.00 an hour but its only for things like when we go out on date nights

3 Likes

It should be at least $30 imo. Probably more!

2 Likes

I pay $40 a day for preschool. 30 should be just fine.

1 Like

That’s not even minimum wage. You should charge more imo

1 Like

I get paid by the state an it’s 2.15 an hour for each kid so no 30 is not a lot

1 Like

im sure the parents would gladly pay that hourly rate than pay day care prices!

1 Like

I do 20 a day for friends who don’t ask a lot and just want a date night but I also do it for free if I know the parents are hurting but when I do it regularly I charge 20 these parents have very little left after child care cut them some slack

I think 30;a day is a score for a rate

3 Likes

Our daycare charges about 35-40$ a day- if your doing ELearning on top of that- I’d add another 5-10 depending on how accepting the child is to learning it-

2 Likes

My daughter pays $30 a day and supplies all food, snacks and drinks

1 Like

That is definitely fair on your part.

I was paying $5 an hour for an at home sitter recently. You could def ask for more

1 Like

I pay our baby sitter $40 for when I want to go to a bonfire party. My kids are in bed @ 8, she sits at our house from 8pm to 12:00am so 4 hours and she gets forty and doesn’t even have to do anything. I think that’s incredibly low what your getting paid sis.

2 Likes

IMO, it is not worth your time and energy for $30/day. My daughter makes $50 for 4 hrs of JUST babysitting. I would charge minimum $60/day for teaching and caring for the child. That is 10 hours!

4 Likes

I don’t think 30s enough

I use to babysit for 25 cents an hour!!!

2 Likes

That is low as fuck! Most babysitters charge 20-30 an hour. If they think it’s too much they’re crazy

Uh…i made $100/day…$10/hr for 1… boost up your price dear!

1 Like

I pay my babysitter $50 for 3 hours…soooo I think you’re good, and honestly asking for too little…but if you are helping out a friend and want to cut a deal, then $30 is a very kind offer.

1 Like

I would charge more! Like $40/60 a day

Idk it’s kinda of like yea your saving them money so they don’t need to pay day care prices but also they are helping you out with money at the same time also so you don’t want to say to much to where there like ok forget it

$150 a week is the average for full time child care in my area. Which breaks down to $30/day. That includes breakfast, lunch and snack. $90/week for before and after care with breakfast and snack included. Ain’t nobody paying $20/hour for their kid in daycare. Nobody would be working. Maybe people pay that for a weekend sitter but that’s not daycare prices.

6 Likes

I think $30 a day is good

1 Like

$25 a DAY!?!?!
That’s crazy to me!
Where is this kind of babysitting happening?

5 Likes

I pay my friends $25 for half a day and $50 for a full day

1 Like

15 bucks an hour id be charging. You are not only babysitting but teaching as well and should be paid at least minimum wage if not more and here min wage is $15

6 Likes

A daycare runs around 30-40 dollars a day, the child will be fairly self sufficient. I thinking between 30-40 is reasonable

$30 is very generous of you

1 Like

I pay my daycare provider $3 an hour and that doesn’t include any school work of any kind. I would be paying more if I needed more from her so I think you can ask for more.

You’re watching this child for ten hours a day, providing food, and assisting with educating the child? Yeah, I’d say 30 dollars a day is beyond reasonable.

It all depends on where you live, in my area, we pay $15-25 a day for licensed daycare… but I wouldn’t make her do school… so idk

That is a steal, for real! Good child care is hard to find…

I feel like it’s fair if you’re feeding the child and helping with elearning. But I would definitely take in to consideration what the average cost for daycare in your area is just for comparison. For instance in my area, daycare is roughly $20 a day, all meals and snacks provided along with activities, learning and done by state/cpr certified people, so it individual sitters keep it at or slightly under that cost.

I played 20 a day for daycare for mine 19 years ago so I’d say 25 or 30 either way they are getting a deal

That’s super cheap!! So crazy! I would at least make the minimum wage. In San Francisco where I am at that’s 15 and hour.

2 Likes

Depending on the circumstances… I sit for a 4.5 yr old for free but they are family to me and I like the time with him

1 Like

What is minimum wage in your area? Then double that to assist with virtual learning.
I know every area is different, but our private day care was $125/day/kid if you weren’t enrolled full time and were just doing drop-in. Part-time like you’re describing was $200/week.

3 Likes

I’m a sitter and I charge $2.50 an hour per kid ages 4months-9yrs…that includes breakfast…lunch…dinners…snacks and all the little ones get baths

I do day care in newzealand, private in my home , and charge between 6.50 and 7.50 an hour . 0 to 5 years in age . So if I have my max of 4 children, im on roughly $28 an hour

1 Like

Wow I’m so surprised to see so many people ok with $25 a day. It must be dependent on area. A licensed day care in my area would charge $40ish and up to $50+ per day. I paid $36/day 4 years ago for up to 9 hours and those rates have gone up. I supplied all meals, snacks, etc. I often hear of people paying $250/wk for day care. For a babysitter, I could probably find a teenager willing to babysit for $10/hr.

What area are you in. In Seattle area at a family child care it would be 60-80/day. Depending.

I pay 27.50 a day for a licensed daycare in my area (7:30am-5pm) the daycare Includes 2-3 snacks and lunch.

1 Like

Id say if you’re actually teaching actively or cooking/ prepping any meals $50 a day. Just watching a 6 year old with nothing else 35-40.