What rate should I be paid for babysitting?

Last summer I payed a teenager to babysit my 8 yo son $50 a day. Basically she came to play with him all day because he takes care of himself. He just likes to wander off on his own which is why my older son couldn’t handle the job.

I think 30 is reasonable. Maybe she could give you some snacks a couple times a month. Even peanut butter, bread, milk, cereal , hotdogs stuff like that

That seems like a daycare rate where they have 5-10 kids and end up making a decent hourly wage. Just one kid at $3/hr would not be enough for a main income. If all you need is 100-200 a week of extra cash then that’s very kind of you and a good deal for her.

1 Like

I honestly would go higher. I would say 35-40 a day bc virtual learning for us is not as easy as it seems.

I paid $40 a day for daycare per child.

In the city im in youd be looking at 300 MINIMUM a week for that…

1 Like

You should be paid at least $10/ hour Sorry, that’s a long day

2 Likes

I pay 37 for my 3 year old and 50 for my baby a day at my daycare center. So 87 total. Breakfast, lunch, dinner and 2 snacks are provided.

I say a flat $100 for all 3 days. That’s a lot of work to watch an extra kid, especially if you’re helping with schooling

1 Like

You’re making her lunch?.. and watching her sit at a computer and eventually she might have left over homework to do, not that you have to help her unless the parent asks… and entertain her for a few hours. I’d say $25 is sufficient enough

1 Like

I would tell her $25 but to include snacks for him if it is a friend. $30 if it is not. I paid $20 a day for my infant daughter. She was a friend of the family and did not want more. I was very fortunate.

1 Like

I pay my daughters grandmother $40/day so yeah $30 is more then fair

1 Like

I’m not sure where you are but I pay our sitter $20/hour. That’s for 2 kids

2 Likes

Holy shit. You’d be paying at least $20 an hour for childminding in Australia.

I don’t know what state you live in but in NY $15/hr is the minimum wage. I don’t even know how $3 an hour could be legal…

$25 or $30 a day is amazing.

I charge 25 a day for two kids and I provide all the food snacks and drinks and one does homeschool as well.

1 Like

Did you agree to $25 a day already? I’m paying $20. If anything tell her to be sure to bring snacks for her little one.

I pay $10-$15 an hour!!!

I keep a journal for each kid on everything they eat that day the time they ate, outside play time, snacks, and naps. That way the parents can see exactly what they did all day when they pick them up at the end of the day.

1 Like

When I was nannying, which included meal/snack prep, light cleaning, and helping with school work, I charged $10-15/hr/kid. You’re undervaluing what you offer if you’re only charging $30/day for 10 hour days.

2 Likes

Wow, I would say 50$ a day for sure. Still less then minimum wage but at least a little closer.

I do this job as well except mine are fully virtual.

30-35 A DAY at least.

I get around $15 per hour that I work.

I wouldn’t accept anything lower than $250 a week.

That seems very low to me. I don’t know if you are going by minimum wage but thats no where near it where I live.

I pay $20 a day for two kids :flushed::flushed: I feel lucky

If you have experience or have a child that seems very low. I pay my babysitter at least 10$ an hour. Or if it’s all day on weekends we fix a price we both think is reasonable

I charge 25 a day And they provide snacks and food.

You need to consider are you feeding the child two or three times a day. Besides doing homework

$3 hr? That isn’t legal.What state do you live in? I live in North NJ and baby sitters make $16hr -25 hr.

I personally charge 40$/8hrs and 60$/12hrs.
Anything under 8hrs is 10$/hr.

You should look into what virtual elementary school is like, I know a lady who says her kid can’t go 5 minutes without needing her full attention.
Be realistic, whatever you choose.
:woman_shrugging:

I pay my sitter (daughter is 4) $40 a day. When I have our son it will be $60 a day for both kids. That is meals and snacks included.

1 Like

Umm… a lady here charges $60/day

Where are you located? Thats incredibly cheap

1 Like

$25 a day is what I paid my under the table, non-English speaking (that I could not communicate with), non-driving babysitter for a child that was potty trained but not school-aged. She alone had 6-8 other kids in her home at the same time. He typically sat in front of the tv all day or played unsupervised in her backyard. I was in school without income, desperate and felt at the time without other options. I still feel incredibly guilty I did this. This is what $25 a day is worth. I think you’re worth more than that.

2 Likes

I just paid $75 for one day 6:30-4:00 for a 7yo who is pretty self efficient. He makes his own lunch and played she just did her homework. $30 is a great deal, but maybe you should ask for a little more as you are adding education to the list

2 Likes

You’re def undercharging. I say 10-15 a hour at minimum for the work you’ll be doing.

2 Likes

My opinion that’s not even close to enough? But its up to you and what you think your time is worth. But my kindergartner needs a ton of my help. I think you should at least get $8-10 an hour. And 10 hours a day is a long day. Will you be providing breakfast, snack, lunch, snack and dinner? Whoever you are sitting for better be happy if you make such a cheap deal.

Least 15 a hour when I was a nanny and I had over time as well

1 Like

Ummmm I asked for 20$ a hour babysitting special needs

1 Like

Honestly that’s cheap compared to where I’m at! Daycare here is $200-$300/week, for 8 hours a day! A girlfriend of mine and I actually just had this conversation, and I told her that my son’s private school tuition is cheaper a month than her child’s daycare expenses.

I don’t know where you’re located, but that’s extremely low where I live

1 Like

Before they did this out of school learning I helped my sister law with her daycare and she charged 35 a day for all day

Depending on location I would say 50 a day is reasonable

1 Like

Daycares start at like $150 a week. So that’s $30 a day. I think $30 is the lowest she should be paying you, considering you have also turned into a teacher, technically. You’re not just babysitting, but you’re keeping her on track with school each day and making sure she logged on, working on assignments, in her class meetings when she is supposed to be, etc.

I charge $9/hr. You’re definitely undercharging

Ask around in the area you live to get accurate rates.

I would charge 50 a day at least. I was watching a child for 10 an hour for about 3 weeks.

1 Like

i got paid $15 an hour so that’s perfectly fine

Normal in home rates in my area, Missouri, is $100-$120/week or $25 per day unless they go all 5 days.

2 Likes

Wholy shit! We pay $25 an hour here in Aus! And that’s cheap :flushed:

Where i live 20 a day for a license cert day care provider

I get paid $35 a week just to take 2 sisters to school (one to elementary and one to middle school) 5 days a week. If you’re providing babysitting, food, and help with schooling, i don’t think $30 a day is too much. If that’s too much for the parent to afford, talk with them and find out what they can afford and work something out.

1 Like

I’d ask a minimum of $5 an hour but even that is extremely low. As other people said $10 an hour is usually the the minimum for childcare.

It depends
If you earn too much money it can affect your tax income and if you are not working will it effect any entitlements you are entitled to?

25 day or even 30 cash in hand sounds reasonable

I used to babysit and I live in Australia. I always asked for 10-15 per hour. Whether it was one or two children. Anymore then two children, I’d add another $5 per hour per child

Thats way too cheap! Dont rip yourself off

I paid nearly 1800 for two kids at daycare for before, after school and PD days. So that’s like 90 a day and not even full time. 30 is VERY reasonable.

Heck no parents are having a frustrated time doing schooling at home, you are doing a lot of work for very little pay. I know it’s nice to save the family money during hard times but you should also think of yourself too

I pay $26 a day for my daughter (5 months old) which is the same I paid for my son but now that i have my daughter I pay $21 a day for my son at day care but that is a licensed place now when I used to babysit it was always what the parents could afford (I was also young) but I think $25 to $30 a day is reasonable especially if its just extra money and you don’t really need it

My child care costs $115 for 12 hours! $3per hour sounds amazing to me

I pay my babysitter $30 a day. I only make $8.70/hour.

Ur doing eLearning without doing it it’s normally 30 a day with it u should be charging more 50 send right. I saw some ppl charging 250 to 200 for five days just school hours just to do elearning . Pick up when it’s over.

Just a suggestion, but what if you tell her $30 a day for the first month so you and the kid can have a trial run. That’ll give you long enough to develop a routine and get aquanted with the school work. If it’s more work then you think $30 covers you can renegotiate the price or if it’s fair you can keep it. It also will give you an idea if the child will be happy there and able to do her work in your care.

3 Likes

The law requires them to pay you at least minimum wage and you would also be considered a household employee under IRS guidelines.

2 Likes

Is she providing meals and snacks? You also aren’t providing just care but also “tutoring” $30 per day doesn’t seem worth it.

1 Like

I watch 2 kids 5 days a week an parents provide meals an snacks an drinks i ask 100 a week day care is way more but im not ripping my friends pockets either

The people suggesting $115 a day have lost their minds. People barely make that at their jobs, that’s insane!

5 Likes

Its actually illegal to to pay someone under minimum wage if they are coming into your home to work. Different story for in home daycare

1 Like

I’m paying $46/day in Washington state. That includes 3 meals, snack plus pre-k learning.

i pay my babysitter $30 a day for my 10 month old son. normally drop him off about 8:30-5:45. i think it’s fair :woman_shrugging:t3:

I get paid $500 a month to watch my nephew from about 830am to 6pm. Hes almost 3 years old. I think $30 is very reasonable, especially if you have to help with schooling and feeding them.

The normal here is 20-35/day

I honestly think you’re selling yourself short for just $3 an hour

1 Like

I run an in-home daycare license and I’m I retired RN. I make $30 a day per child

I think $30 is very fair and reasonable.

1 Like

The daycare I work at (MS) charges $25 a day for that age. My local YMCA is charging parents $35 for the virtual learning day, which is only on Wednesday…

Online Learning centers are going for $165 a week around my way. So I think $30 a day is fine. Plus you’re not feeding the child out of your own pocket.

I think you should also consider food as kids eat/snack a lot. Have the parent either provide food or at the very least provide snacks for her child.

1 Like

30 a day is fair. That’s what I pay my mom to watch my 1 yr old but I take the food and the snacks

Ive always paid 5$ an hour with a 20$ min for my kiddos.

I watch my great grandkids 3 or 4 days a week mother sends food an drinks an snacks ,I dont charge her in this day an age we all need to help out.they are17 months an 6 months and a7 years old, pluse it makes me feel great an active.

1 Like

Let me just put this out there, ik someone who’s doing $87 for 2 days a week, 3 hours each day… and that’s cheap!

$30 is very reasonable.

That is reasonable but I would ask for snacks and or lunch to be provided.

1 Like

$30 is cheap. You might regret it once you get into the virtual teaching. Idk this particular child or their schools program. But I have a 1st grader & a 3rd grader. I have to stay with them for 8hrs to make sure they do what they’re supposed to. There’s no time to make lunch or anything. You may want to double or triple it. I know programs around here that support learning are $225 a week.

$30 is way cheap for one-on-one babysitting (meaning you’re not running an in-home daycare with several other outside children). I used to charge $15/hour for private babysitting in the Middle TN area.

My sitter is paid $20 an hour

We pay my mil $30 a day 8-5 3 days a week plus clots diapers milk snacks etc

I pay me friend $40 a day 8:39-4:15 she watches her here twice a week plus n extra $20 if she does light house work that week aka dusts vacuum dishes sweep etc. she said she would rather have the extra $10 then me bring home lunch cuz I go in 1/2 dm days to the office when she’s here

I used to get £10 an hour for 2 children and I started when I was 17

I pay 35 dollars a day for a licensed day care who feeds them and looks after them

I pay 30 a night from 4pm until 4 am… my son is 12 some basically watches himself,just need someone there at night… so imo 30 is too cheap because virtual learning is hard and the food cost… I would ask for more…

2 Likes

I think it’s reasonable

Even $30 is cheap for all that work and responsibility. If I was getting a sitter that cheap I’d ask what food I could contribute as well. I mean maybe even buy drinks and snacks for her for 3 days.

4 Likes

Dude I do $15/hr period for babysitting

1 Like

If it’s for a friend of yours then $30. is okay. If not I would up it to at least $50.

1 Like

I pay my sitter $10 an hour when she watches my son at her house. He’s 4 so no school yet but around me that’s standard for a sitter $10 an hour so $3 an hour is a steal

Minimum 40… for a friend 30

Damn that’s insanely low :cold_sweat:

Going rate for full day daycare is 50$