What rate should I be paid for babysitting?

You need to reevaluate, take in consideration you have to tend to the child and the learning aspect also. ANY JOB pays more than 3 an hour. After school care is 2-5:30 (maybe 6:00) is $36 a day. Your time is worth more.

I used to get paid 10 an hour to babysit!

If this is a one time thing I would do it for free. Where has the sense of community gone? Why can’t we just help each other out? Learning is something that kids should be doing regardless, why is that an extra job? I look after my friends kids when they are in a pinch. And they do the same for me. Quite frankly i love having the change of energy in the house. And my kids are preoccupied all day with the “play-date” . its a win win. It takes a village, not a bunch of businessmen! To each their own tho~

7 Likes

My friend charged me $10/hr per kid for 4hrs one night while my husband and I got stuck on the same shift. She gave them a corndog for dinner and they watched TV, that was it. So $30 for the whole day is a really good deal.

1 Like

Go online a see what the state pays .

If you want to be nice or are just starting out I would do $5/hr.

No kiddling, I wouldn’t charge by the hr. I would give her flat rate for the days, like three days 80 dollars

I think that is very reasonable. I was going to do it with a lady like that here in California before I put her in the YMCA program. It was $45 a day or $35. She goes 5 days a week to the YMCA and it cost 175 week. I would say 30 is fare. Depending where you are I would say go up to $35

I’m in Australia and get paid $28 an hour for child minding. I charge $30-$35 for tutoring.

It would cost that to look after a dog! Dont sell yourself short.

1 Like

90 a week for all that responsibility. My God wish I knew you when mine were little…

40 years ago I made $3 a hour babysitting, I just had to put 2 kids to bed and watch TV until the parents came home. At least get $5 a hour or you are ripping yourself off.

$3 a day is significantly less than minimum wage. She’s getting one heck of a deal. You, not so much.

I take 25 per kid per day. 🤷 I am already taking care of my children so whats a couple more. You can’t expect minimum wage from babysitting :joy:.

1 Like

I use to do 10 an hour per kid, priced more if it was a little bit harder of a job(feeding tubes, learning disability, etc) this was when I was in high school. 10x10=100 so you’d make almost 300 something for the three days. 10s a good price and it also counts with helping with schooling. Worst come to shove ask mom or dad if they can pay you gas money or something

I used to make 7 dollars an hour for 2 kids and that was over 10 years ago! Also I never helped with their homework! Listen to your husband lol

$30 is low considering you will have her 9 hours a day and deal with school work while she’s there. If this is a close friend I would say $5 an hour and family MAYBE $3/hr

I’m a nanny for a 2 yr.old at their house,. I get pd. $15 an hour. Another baby on the way,so I will get $20 an hour. Their food etc. Still cheaper than daycare! And the convience of me coming to them not to mention the love I give.!

30 or more… you’re doing alot here! I understand wanting to help out. But at home learning isn’t cake. Its slightly stressful.

I used to pay mine £5 an hour for childminding and babysitters about £20 an evening (7 until 11ish). I think $40 is fair but nothing less!

30 is too low trust me. Thats what I charge and its worth way more.

I was paid $7.50 per hour at the daycare I worked at last year.

That’s crazy actually. I would pay a babysitter at minimum $100 a day for 8 hours and school work. 30 bucks a day is not a fair price AT ALL. I would babysit for that price but I would never expect anyone else to watch my kid for that. I would pay more for sure.

$35 day for daily rate I paid for one child. Included meals, not being responsible for remote learning.

Wow. I cannot believe everyone thinks it’s acceptable for someone to make $3 an hour. It doesn’t matter if it’s in her house or not, she is not a daycare! She is not watching 13 children all at once. If someone wants to pay daycare cost- they need to go to a daycare. This exact description is the description of a part-time nanny. No where in the county do nannies make $3/hour. In the Seattle area alone they make $20-$25 an hour. It’s absolutely ridiculous to ask her to make less than minimum wage and nannies usually make a good $5+ over that. If it’s a friend, charge less… But not $3 an hour! No one is worth that little!

8 Likes

That rate was back in 80’s! I worked babysitting at my home! Shouldn’t be any lower than $30! It was $25 to $30 a day! Which is low! Going rate for babies back than $150 or more a week! It’s now more, if you’ve got a job that pays well! It’s worth more, people don’t think it’s work but I fed them at least two meals a day @ sometimes the parents wouldn’t pick them up on time! Charge for overtime! That way they won’t take advantage of you!

17 Likes

If you’re home, helping out a friend/family and it’s just some extra cash for helping then I wouldn’t charge as much as a daycare center. I don’t know the situation but it may be that they can’t afford daycare prices. I know my area is 195-395 a week depending on age, full or half day plus needs of the child.

7 Likes

I don’t know where you are at but I wouldn’t do it for less than $50 a day. I guess I’d factor in the parents employment…what is SHE making a day? Keep in mind this is your entire day now being prioritized for someone else. Does the child behave? Will getting her to do virtual school be a chore? A joy? Are there expectations for you to meet with the child? If she doesn’t do well on her spelling test is this now YOUR problem? I don’t know your area, your need for money, your relationship with the parent, etc. Just be realistic about the responsibility, and don’t sell yourself short. There are some days my freedom of having from 7-5 is worth much more than $30. Do you have children? Would this be a positive for them? Or a difficult adjustment? I just know there is sometimes the mind set of “oh well I’m home anyhow, might as well do FILL IN THE BLANK” but be very realistic about it and weigh the pros and cons. :slightly_smiling_face:

13 Likes

$3 an hour. Honey you are a saint! If its someone you know and you are comfortable with that rate that is great. If its a matter of finance on rhe other persons part and your helping out. Good for you!! That’s great! But, if not, if its just someone trying to take advantage of you and your generosity then you need to stick,up for yourself. 10 hours a day, 3 days a week, should be at least min wage. But over all. It really is your call. Good luck.

7 Likes

I’m in the Uk so probably don’t understand the going rate but $3 an hour sounds ridiculously low. I personally would feel bad to pay someone that low for taking care of my children which is an important job. You deserve so much more.

64 Likes

Virtual schooling is not the easiest thing to do. If the kid isn’t old enough to do it without help or atleast guidance then I wouldn’t do it for less than 40 a day. You are putting everything on hold to teach her kid.

2 Likes

Depends where you are. I watch a few kids and charge $25 per day if needing to help with school and feed them $30 a day. I try to stay cheaper because before being a stay at home mom the cost of daycare killed us. So I personally just try to help out without costing an arm and leg.

6 Likes

You need to research the going daily rate in your area for DAYCARE not BABYSITTING. They are two completely different things. If it’s just a date night few hours kinda thing the hourly rate is higher but if it’s a regular weekly workday daycare situation the rates are not the same and they vary by area. Typically anywhere from $25-$50 per day.

I feel $30 x day isn’t enough. That’s fine if you’re only doing the normal babysitting with meals/snacks + activities, etc. But you’re also doing their schooling - so I think at the very least, $40 x day. That’s still a steal anyway you look at it-no matter your area.

I think our minimum is $15/hr not sure if it changed but I charge between $12-$15/hr and $1 buck extra per siblings. I don’t mind feeding the kids but I prefer for the parent to make food for their child for the hours being taken care of.

14 Likes

I know a lady who paid $120 for someone to look after her 2 children from 8:30-4:30 ($60 for each child: worked out @$7.50 an hour each child) plus she packed her children morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea plus drinks for them also provided books, etc for them to entertain themselves.

I pay $10 an hour for my child to be babysat on certain afternoons.

I guess it comes down to what theu want you to do with the child, if they want you teaching the child plus feeding the child then thats extra. I reckon thats only fair.

My daughter is 12 and babysits a 4 yr old. She is paid $20/day regardless of how many hrs she works (between 3 and 8 hrs), but that does not include ANY school. Literally just playing and hanging out with the kiddo. Snacks and lunch is premade and just needs to be microwaved.

I charged $25 for half a day. It’s really up to how you feel and what the person is able to pay. If asking $30 means the person can’t afford it and you’ll lose the job, maybe stick with the $25. Otherwise I think it’s more than reasonable to ask for more with more responsibilities.

2 Likes

Oh sweety, no… Your TIME is worth more than that. Would that even cover your gas to get there? No no no… MINIMUM 10 bucks per kid/hr. A TUTOR was 40 bucks an hour. here in California, (I don’t know where you’re at) you can’t get someone to stay with your kid for less than 20$ an hour. And that’s JUST babysitting. No school work involved and all the other added responsibilities.

6 Likes

My son (2) attends a daycare center and it’s 255 for 5 days, my oldest had summer care (9) and it was $170 a week making it $34 a day for a center. $30 is realistic honestly. Even 35-40 wouldn’t be too much. All depends what you are, if you’re a nanny and doing chores and errands or strictly just supervising a child.

4 Likes

I watch my granddaughter 4 days a week, I quit my job to help out but I charge $120 a week, I was making $600 at my job. I do homeschool with her all 4 days as well as feed her. I wouldn’t do this for anyone but her.

It does depend on your area. I charge $10 to $15 and hour. Especially if its in your home. Daycares can charge less as there are more teachers/aids and more kids. As a live in nanny I was paid $600 a week on top of having room and board. When I was a non live in nanny it was on average $400 a week.

1 Like

I guess it would depend on your location and state your in also if you’re providing the food and keeping the child at your house. Daycare in MS is usually $100-150 for all wk… $20-25 a day and that includes some type of learning depending the age. I pay $20 a day for my 1 yr old.

3 Likes

No $30 a day is not good!! Babysitters I know make at least $10 an hour, and that was 10 years ago! I’d at least ask closer to $10 an hour. You deserve so much more!

1 Like

I’d say $30 a day is good price I know around me daycares are charging at least that if not more for exact same thing, and daycare in my area is considered cheap compared to most.

2 Likes

When I babysat when I was a teenager 20 something years ago it was $5 per hour. I have a 9 year old now and the heartache and headache you will have with virtual learning you will be kicking yourself at that rate.

12 Likes

I watched my friends daughter for $25 a day but she was under 4 and friend gave $25 for gas if I needed to take her anywhere. As a part time thing money is what is asked of you and the age. I was also a nanny for 3 years and charged $7 a hour per kid. More requirements for this family. Like I said it depends on what is required.

Near me that’s low! If that’s reasonable near you I’d have her pay you at the end of the 3 days and just make it an even $100 for the week. Near me $50/day would be at the low end.

5 Likes

Umm $3 an hour is not fair. :woman_facepalming:t2:Childcare has become such a disrespected career. Every other job you’ll make between $9-$14 an hour but when it comes to watching kids, one of THE hardest jobs, we get chump change and are expected to be grateful. I say charge her $10 per hour. You’re not just babysitting, you’re doing her school work with her.

9 Likes

I paid that much 30 years ago, but it was for 2 and it was a bargain.

4 Likes

Depends. Babysitter or a professional with cpr training and training on choking etc? Because that makes a huge difference.

3 Likes

I charge $350 a month per family. Times are hella tough right now so I’m trying to help and make sure a bill atleast gets covered

1 Like

I think that is super cheap and you should probably charge more. Maybe come up with a per day for the base of the babysitting like ( $6/hr) and then chart the hours you actually spend helping the child with virtual learning and charge an additional $3 to $5 /,hr for the school time and i still think that would be low but better. If you are providing the food you should adjust the base of $6/hr to be more for sure. Technically $10 to $15/hr would be reasonable to me for this for 3 days a week but I understand that could be too high. But $30 a day is definitely not enough for you

1 Like

Remote learning is hard! You almost have to sit with them all day! I am doing remote learning with all 3 of mine and it is really exhausting for them and me… If you are providing food as well I would honestly charge more

1 Like

Are you supplying breakfast and lunch and snacks? your undercutting yourself.

3 Likes

My friend sends her preschooler
To a daycare here in N.C. she’s grandfathered In so she pays 35.00 a day 9am-5pm. New enrollments are paying 45.00/ 55.00 if it’s a with online learning that gives them time with a tutor or one on one to help with school. If your late to pickup it’s a 10 late fee. 30.00 is fair!!

1 Like

That’s fair. We pay our sitter 14/hr :grimacing: but she comes to our home and takes care of 2 kids.
We had a sitter before who would do the babysitting at her house and charged $30/day. - she was a stay at home mom.

2 Likes

I agree if you feed breakfast and lunch plus couple snacks and help with schooling, I’d say at the very least $35 per day and could go 40 or 50.

2 Likes

I would do a $100 for the 3 days total a week and have her provide snacks or food

3 Likes

I pay $30 a day for 3 kids because honestly anything more than that it’s not worth working so $25 is more than enough for 1 child. I was paid $15 for 12 hour days when I used to babysit myself. Minimum wage is only $10 here so paying more than $30 is absolutely ridiculous

1 Like

Thinking 50.00 since your providing internet and maybe food and snacks.

2 Likes

Honestly that is low and you probably could make a lot more (if the family can afford it) I pay my sitter $40 a day for my toddler but this was an agreed Upon price so she could help me save money since I couldn’t afford daycare tuition, she also provides 90% of meals for my daughter

Lol about 7ish years ago I needed a sitter so bad…a “friend” said they would charge me $10 per hour per kid (I have 3 kids) Nice “friend” right? :joy::rofl: so if I had someone say $30 per day I would have jumped for joy! Lucky mama who managed to get you to do it for such a good price.

Definitely should charge more. You’re feeding and homeschooling this child for 3 days for $90.

1 Like

There are 2 factors in this.
1:It will depend on your area and what the average pay is. Each area is different. Some areas the going rate is $25-30 a day for an in home sitter. But that sitter has the option, to take on more kids, so their daily pay could be higher… Some areas, you can charge $50-60 a day an no one will question if that’s to high it not. . I would suggest you ask in a local mommy group what the going rate is.
2: is this in your home or theirs. If this is your home, then you have the option to take on more kids, making your daily pay amount,.more.
If this is in their home, and you are not allowed to watch any other kids, but theirs, then it’s your only income and you should expect minimum wage, if not more…

1 Like

My daughter babysitting is $3 per hour but you are an adult making a living… i would start with the 30 as that is a good price and if it proves to be more difficult let the parents know

$30 is way more than reasonable. I’ve seen as high as $40 a day without the virtual learning. Since it’s a friend $30 feels fair to me.

1 Like

Depends on the area you live. If you live in a lower income area and the family is lower income I agree with your husband. $30 per day. If you live in a more well off area like a big city and the parents do not struggle I say $50 per day. Not only are you babysitting, cooking, cleaning etc but you are being a teacher as well and helping them learn.

I wouldn’t do it for less than $50 a day. No freaking way!

2 Likes

Just check your local laws! If what you would be doing would fall under the label “daycare” it can be very illegal to do without a license.

In my area that is super cheap. Probably even taking a loss, if parents aren’t providing extra for food, etc.

I base my wages on ages. If they’re 5+ I typically charge like $6; 3-4 years is $12 and 0-2 is $15-20 because of diapers and everything else that goes along with taking care of infants/toddlers.

$20 a day is standard here for a child who is potty trained. It all depends on how comfortable you are with it. BUT virtual learning is a whole other monster :joy: You would basically be doing it to help her out. You couldn’t pay me enough to take in another non related child :joy::joy::joy:

Are the parents supplying the food? How long is the virtual learning? Do you know these people and trying to help them out? I would say 25-40 a day. Suggesting $15 hr most people don’t make that an hour so if they are not making that an hour, what’s the point of gong to work…

If this is a friend then its really up to you…bit $30/day is a “friend” rate…$50/day is reasonable. It will cost more if they were to hire a tutor for remote learning as well as a caregiver.

I babysit about 15 kids 14 aware in school. I charge $10-15 per child per day. I take them all to meal sites for lunch and help them all for virtual learning. I’m not a daycare and I only have so many because our schools are closed. My area is low income and this is my way of helping out during covid-19.

I pay a sitter 40 a day with no remote learning.

1 Like

I current pay 25-30 a day for my 4 year old :woman_shrugging: the sitters set the prices. I think it depends alot on what area you are in and cost of living as well

I think it should depend on the situation like are you a stay-at-home type person and it’s to help you get over being bored at home or is it someone you’re trying to help it depends on how much you really need the money

Come take care of old people they need love and its alot more then 3 $ an hr

I pay 220 for 3 kids, 4 days a week. 2 are in school all those days, she just has to put them on the bus and off and about an hour and a half additional. Its in my home so I provide all the food plus drive her home.

All going to depend on your area too. I babysat up until this school year. Our area a normal charge is $25 per day without the schooling. If your doing all the school work with the child I would say 30-35 or more.

When I watched my friends kids I would do $20 for a 8 hours shift and if they were late picking up I charged $1 a min and if I kept the child over night I charged $35 but I been told that’s really cheap I would do $30 since u are going to be teaching her and feeding her daycare cost way more then that

Ask the parents for food for snacks and for her meals. MKe a kist if what you need as well as a menu for meals and snacks you plan so they will know what to bring. I babysat for my friends 3 in the 1960s and since we both got food stamps she brought a bag of snacks and things for lunch like soup, crackers and other things we liked for meals. Since her kids ate lunch and maybe breakfast as well at my house she decided to use her food money for her kids and I used from her food and mine for the joint meals. It worked for us.

I charge a very low rate for friends. But if I had to do virtual learning, and she wasn’t a close friend I would charge $40 a day.
The " virtual academics" they are setting up in the closest city charge between $250-1200 a week…

I would say closer to $40 per day. Making sure the work gets done and meals. Also washing the dishes from those meals.

I paid $30/day per child 7 years ago. That was, obviously, pre-COVID. It was also a friend price and well below the market rate for an in-home daycare. Before you start thinking I live in an expensive area and that’s why the price, I live in central Iowa. $30/day is not too high to charge.

I watch my baby nephew for 25 a day. I say the 30 is better she is bigger and have mom pack food for her ! That’s nuts. 30 is not enough to be providing food ong with caring for the child.
After the time mom pick up her child from you its her responsibility to check homework and all do not feel like you need to. 5 is still decent time when they get home to do hw or whatever class work still needs to be done. Just saying

I would charge $30 for the half days and $50 for the full day. Is she going to provide snacks and food ? E-learning is not that easy especially when they are young.

You should be charging $40-45 per day. Don’t sell your services short. I charge $30 an hour for tutoring! And I paid $35 a day for home daycare when my daughter was younger.

I paid my sitter $100/day for 6.5 hours with my 2 kids, and she didn’t have to do any schoolwork with them!

30$ a day is a good price compared to what a daycare would charge her.

Australia is around $25 per hour for babysitting, no homework ect. Day rate is around $150/$200 for the day that’s for a person over the age of 18 and that has a first aid certificate. So it all sounds really low to me but USA is different. None of our rates include schooling or homework that’s extra on top again

My 8 year old is doing 100% online. She is independent and doesn’t need any help. Good chance you’ll be looking at the tv most of the day while this child does her school work in her room. As far as feeding the kid, are you watching the child at your house or theirs? $100 a week is reasonable.

1 Like

Kids now 15 and 16 charge 30-50 for the night. Depending on the days I’d set a weekly rate. Something you feel is worth your time and deserved by you for all that work. Here people start at 200 per week and can go all the way to 500. It sounds like a lot but a whole day of work plus classwork…min wage would make it 150 per day since you have her for 10hrs. So…its really up to you.

I say $35 a day or nothing if she only wants to give $25 then she needs to provide the food

I personally would charged $10 a day to help out a family member or friend. When I paid for day car I paid $22 a day and that was the cheapest.

I was paying my babysitter 300$ a week for 2 kids for 3 1/2 days 8-1. Thats what I paid the daycare and thought that was fair.

You are being responsible for the safety and wellbeing of someone’s child. if they cant afford to pay you min wage rates for that then id question a lot of things! id never even dream of asking someone to watch my son for less than $8 and hour!

I paid my baby sitter 12$ an hour but I had two little ones for her to watch a couple times she had to watch my older two who are completely self sufficient and paid 15$ an hour. However my kids were asleep the first two hours of her being there and I was only gone 5-6 hours. I would say at the very least 30$ a day. One little one is pretty easy especially one that is doing school work and preoccupied anyway. Mine weren’t even school age. I understand you can only afford what you can afford but be fair