What should I do about my dad not contacting me?

He’s right you know. Phone does work both ways. Instead of making this post you could’ve called your dad :woman_shrugging:t2: and I understand you have kids. I have 5 and still manage to talk to my dad hourly.

2 Likes

What he said :smirk::roll_eyes:. You can spare a minute of time to call him. If you have time to make a post about it, you’re definitely have time to give him a call.

2 Likes

I have a very demanding job, I even travel out of state for my job, on top of that 4 boys that we have a lot a lot, renovating a house… and I still at least text my people… my brother, my mom, my grandma… idc if they want to talk, they can listen to
Me bitch and about gossip. It does go both ways… you
Make time… and you force it… if you really care.

Your Father isn’t gonna live for ever and if you and your siblings can’t manage to find 2 mins out of your day to call and check on him SHAME on all of you!

The time you took to post this on fb you could of picked up the phone and called him. Your not a child anymore. You can reach out as well. Dont always expect someone else to make the 1st move

2 Likes

Sorry but why is your busy life more important than his busy life? Just call him before he’s gone. My dad was a serious introvert. So we would go weeks without talking. Now he’s gone and I wish I would have called him more. Now I’ll never get to hear his dumb dad jokes ever again.

3 Likes

He said it loud and clear, so did you.
PHIONE WORKS BOTH WAYS.
you’re a grown ass adult, so act like one.
If you want your dad in your life, make an effort.
If you have time to answer a call, then you have time to make one.
What a piss poor excuse that your raising a kid and have a life, so therefor can’t call him.

Wake up before he’s dead too and you have no parent left

Speaking only from personal experiences, it gets REALLY OLD feeling like someone only calls you when they need something🤷‍♀️ I’m busy AF and my life is crazy AF but when I do remember and have time I’ll just send a random message or make a quick call on my way shopping or whatever the situation may be. We don’t have “family” so I apply this to any of the relationships we’ve built that we do value. But I cannot imagine knowing I’m busy and overwhelmed, then truly thinking and believing that any other person isn’t feeling all the same things dealing with their own life. I couldn’t ever make the ppl I care about feel bad for the very same stuff I struggle with myself and even stuff I don’t! If you want a change in the relationship then try making an effort. If it goes unreciprocated then that may be different but he’s absolutely right in saying the phone works both ways🤷‍♀️ You Make time for what’s important when you really want to and communication with him would make way more sense than this post

I would give everything I have just to here my dads voice when they are gone you will wish you had made the time maybe if you would make it a point to call maybe he will call you next time .

1 Like

The phone DOES give both ways, but you feel you don’t need to call because your “busier than him”. Make time. You only get 1 dad.

1 Like

You are only responsible for your time, your effort and your relationship. You should ring when you can and try to find ways to invite him into your life. You should make the effort that you feel is appropriate. After that, it’s not up to you.
After years of therapy, I can share with you that others will never have the same actions, reactions or expectations as you.

Also understand that men and women are very different when it comes to communication. Some men find it a lot harder when they are no longer needed x

4 Likes

He is right…phone works both ways…I’m sure you have time to call a friend…

7 Likes

Having kids and being being busy are not an excuse to not have a minute to just call and say “hi dad”. Like he says, the phone works both ways and if he feels unloved or like he doesn’t matter then why should he make the effort. One day he won’t be a phone call away.

4 Likes

So - you’re only happy if he makes all the effort then? Mmm k then….

1 Like

He is just doing an leading his own life I woulnt be concerned , Its just meant to be .SOMETIMES MAKE A SHORT PHONE CALL . as 1 day he wont be here … :kissing_heart:

If it was like me, I always got I’m busy right now and I’ll call you back, and don’t.i do not blame him at all as I am and have moved on also.if they want you in their lives they would make time.also they may not see it now, but they are teaching their children to do the same thing to them when they get old.

1 Like

I return the same energy but I never had that with my dad. He was in prison by the time I was 6 after causing years of hell and havoc. He’s lucky if I answer. I let him do him.

You know I didnt talk to my dad for 6 years, we didn’t fall out or anything we both just stopped trying :woman_shrugging: we spoke a few weeks ago and it was great. I’m nearly 40 hes over 60 I mean it’s hardly worth falling out about, just drop a text or call it takes 5 mins to see how he’s doing and if he wants to come for/go out for dinner. It’s not hard just your pride getting on the way x

1 Like

I think I have probably only had a handful of calls from my dad and we don’t talk on the phone, men don’t like talking on the phone. But I do go to his house at least 5 mornings a week for hugs and a chat!!!
Life is too short to play tit for tat!!!
If you can’t go see him, just call him before he is not there to call anymore :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

Since you’re all so busy, maybe he’s thinking, “oh, they’ll call when they get a break”…
GO SEE YOUR FATHER

7 Likes

Nobody is too busy to use a phone, shoot a text…etc…sounds like you are making excuses for yourself.

6 Likes

Let it go. It’s what I did. I haven’t seen my father in like two years now. I dont even know when I talked to him last. Besides a few comments on fb here and there.

You guys grew up and left him. He’s always been there. I use to get upset when my dad said the same thing. I regret it to this day so much, I miss my dad and wish I would have called 3 times a day, even if he didn’t answer. :heart:

2 Likes

you know what the saying is…dont make someone a priority in your life,if they dont make you one in theirs

2 Likes

You’re Dad may just be one of those types that doesn’t communicate well. Sometimes you just have to face the facts and move on. I know it’s easy to say and hard to do but ya can’t force yourself upon someone, Even if he is your Father. Been There, Done That :confused:

2 Likes

My father doesn’t like talking on the phone. He doesn’t do small talk on one. Call for a specific reason and when your done he says alright I’ll talk to you later and hangs up :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:.

You don’t know if his life is also busy to him. Make the call and stop making excuses or don’t call and stop whining about it.

1 Like

Young one sometimes Pops are just that way. Your Momma must’ve taken good care of him and probably managed everything. You said so yourself that you are very busy- maybe he doesn’t want to bother you. You can’t even compare losing a Momma to losing a wife - one is not harder than the other but nonetheless painful. He is remarried- let him be happy - you call him - when you do call it probably makes him feel - special- needed- wanted- just like you did when you were his babies. :v:t4::heart::rose::wink: be happy he is here - a lot of us miss our Pops everyday -

2 Likes

It’s okay to make the first call, he might feel like he is disturbing y’all day if he reaches out.

1 Like

Make the effort. I lost my dad back in October and I miss him so much. I lost my last sibling 15 days before my dad. I’m the only one left of my family it sucks. Enjoy your family while you still have them.

Not saying this in a snide way, but you had time to write out this post which means you had time to pick up the phone and call your dad. Sometimes we need called out in hopes that we will respond in a better way. Do you invite him to your kids activities? Do you invite him and his wife for a planned dinner or family outing? Make a habit of calling him when youre waiting for your kids at their practices, etc or on your lunch break at work. I do this with my parents. They both call now that talking to me has become a habit. When they dont hear from me, they call because they worry.

5 Likes

Most men are not as communicative as women. I know I have to urge if not nag my husband to call people I know he loves and cares about. Men are a slightly different species. Please don’t waste your time keeping a checklist of who called who, just be grateful you still have your Dad. I lost mine when I was 34 and our first child was only 2 months old. He never called unless it was an emergency but I still called him and Mom because I knew time and parents were precious. I’d give anything to be able to call him ever since he got his wings. Please count your blessings while you still have them. <3 <3 <3

Doesn’t matter. My grandma is 77 in April an ive spent 15 years calling her daily (my dad has spent 30 years calling her daily) and its always all about her. She doesn’t ask how I/we/her great grandson is. There s no other grandkids-just myself an my son. And I finally quit calling her. So did my dad. We were calling…NO MATTER HOW BUSY WE WERE. we took 5 minutes out of our day just to say hi everyone’s good/alive an miss u. She never takes the time
So we stopped. Its been 3 months an she still hasn’t called. But if we missed 1 day calling (Drs appts weather sick ext) we got the 3rd degree about why we didn’t call. I told her same thing…“Grandma the phone goes both ways. And you’re fingers aren’t broke, you can pick it up an call us.” And its her loss. Just like its yours. You’re wrong. An maybe he doesn’t call cause as u said YOURE TOO BUSY LIVIBG YOUR LIFE YOU DONT HAVE TIME FOR HIM so why call to be ignored or rushed off the phone or told u don’t have time for him when I’m sure he always had time for u kids… Nobody is too busy…its an excuse. Call him while u drive to school drop off/pick up. Call while u boil the pot of water for supper. Call when u run to the store. I always tell my son when he is unhappy with a little of something…“would you rather have 3 minutes to see/talk to me then nothing? Would u rather starve then be given 1 slice of bread?” And even at 8 he understands better then u do! Make the effort. Or quit complaining an when he dies u can sit back an say I should of called him more, made more of an effort.

If you don’t call your dad busy people never to busy for you parents I wish my dad was here for me to call he probably tell me look stop calling let me call you lol rip Daddy

1 Like

He may feel like since y’all are so busy, he’d be bothering you if he called. You should call your Dad if you want to talk to him.

1 Like

That’s the biggest reason my sister fell out with my dad. Mine was after I tried to mend the broken relationship we had, he stole from me and hit my then 1 year old son. Haven’t spoken to him in almost 6 years and I can’t say I regret it. Depends on the dynamic of your relationship.

1 Like

Call your Dad. I wish I could call mine.

2 Likes

Most men, especially older men never call, you’re the child…make the effort…maybe he will start calling you back

2 Likes

You’re super busy and can’t call him, yet your upset because he doesn’t call you? Maybe he thinks that your busy and doesn’t want to disturb you and that’s why he doesn’t call.

6 Likes

He is right, phone does work both ways

5 Likes

I have the same relationship with my dad. The way I see it is, I spent my entire childhood without a relationship with him no matter how hard I tried. I’m not doing it as an adult. He tells me I never call him. Well, dude, you never call me. He only started caring at all about a year ago when he and my mom divorced. I feel that as the parent, he should be the primary facilitator of contact. So I definitely understand how you feel.

1 Like

My dad is a recovering alcoholic with schizophrenia, no job, and limited mobility. Still, he initiates contact multiple times a week. I always reply, thank him for being interested in our lives, etc. But I wouldn’t find a way to justify keeping someone in my life that doesn’t want to be in it :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

It works both ways like he said if u dont reach out then why should he just cuz he doesnt have young kids running around. It works both ways

2 Likes

He’s right, phones work both ways. Yeah I get it, you’d like for him to be the one to reach out but bot everyone likes to call and talk all the time. I personally would rather text than talk. I’m also one who doesn’t reach out often though I need to get better at that if I want friendship and family bonds to stay strong. That said, the time you spent writing this out you could have called him. If you want the relationship and he’s not a jerk, besides the fact her doesn’t call (which doesn’t make him a jerk), then call him. Any of you. Unfortunately that’s just how this relationship will work if you’re wanting one.

1 Like

Just because you and your sisters are “busy” doesn’t mean he has to he the one to put in all the effort. He is right, the phone works both ways. You cant expect him to check on you’s if you’re not checking on him. Call your dad. I wish I could still call mine.

3 Likes

Just call him. One day you will wish you had when you could.

5 Likes

My dad pulled the same crap. He just isn’t motivated to talk to any of you. So if he refuses to pick up the phone, let it be. If someone cares enough they will put in the effort but he just doesn’t and u need to except that.

2 Likes

EXACTLY! You’re all grown ups so why not call first and start building this relationship. If after a while it’s not reciprocated then say something

6 Likes

Mom told me it’s my job to call.

Call him, he might be busy to.

2 Likes

Stop blabbing here and just call him. He won’t be here forever. What are you gonna be bothered by when he is gone. It’s today, it’s time…Call

5 Likes

So your mad cuz you don’t call your dad so he don’t call you? Maybe try and be involved in his life too

4 Likes

He is right the phone works both ways no one is to busy to make a 3 minute call…stop complaining and start calling

4 Likes

Just call him🤷 To old to be petty

3 Likes

Your not hearing they said he dosent call them because they don’t call him because they are too busy Shame on them

1 Like

It’s ok to miss your Daddy…I’m like him, I don’t call ANYONE! And it doesn’t mean a thing about how I feel about my family, I’m just not a caller. They can call me anytime, it’s always welcomed but if they wait on me for a call…it’s gone be a long haul. I always say, if something bothers me I become the change. We can’t control others…only ourselves. Blessings to you and best of luck with your Daddy!

4 Likes

Just call your dad. Geez. :roll_eyes:You could have placed a call, using the time you spent coming here-to whine and complain. You weren’t too busy to do that. :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

4 Likes

No matter how busy you are, you all should grind time to call yr dad. Are you saying that with the SUPER BUSY lives that you and your two sisters have, you DON’T call ANYONE!!!??? if you have time to call a friend, I’m sure you can find the time to call yr dad.

2 Likes

If you are so busy how is he supposed to know when you have a minute? Stop Crying and Call Him!

1 Like

Call your father. So sad you’re too busy. Don’t show up at his funeral if you can’t show up for his life.

5 Likes

Busy but make time for your Dad. You won’t always have him.

Okay? So either contact him, or leave it be… like he said, a phone works both ways, if you want to talk with him and stuff, then do that call or go visit

He is right - phone works both ways.

In the time you took to type this out you could have called your dad. He’s most likely not going to come out and say it, but he probably doesn’t call because he knows you’re busy and is hoping you call when you have free time. This weird awkward “phone works both ways” drama is totally different with friends who never check in on you… This is your FAMILY, your dad at that, one you will never get another of. All I’m going to say is that someday, when he’s transitioned from this life, you will wish you could just pick up the phone and call.

10 Likes

Call him. He is right it works both ways

When he is gone, u will have regrets if u don’t call

Make the phone call! I went through this with my dad and he passed away a year and a half ago! I wish, I had just made more phone calls! I regret that, everyday! :broken_heart:

3 Likes

So why do you need his advice? Either way….call your dad, make an effort, if he raised you and did right by you growing up….then do your part and reach out and make efforts to enjoy him while he’s still here. You sound kind of entitled and shallow to think your life is too busy for him but his isn’t so he should be putting the effort before you. Do you hear yourself?

2 Likes

So you had time to write this post - but not to make a quick call?

2 Likes

Call your dad. You’ll regret that you didn’t when you can’t.

3 Likes

The time it took you to type and.post this you could have used that time to call him

7 Likes

Nothing he obviously don’t care

The phone does work both ways, it’s your responsibility now to check on parents.

3 Likes

Defo call him invite him round to see the grandkids like others have said he want be around forever will you be at his funeral complaining he never called, I lost my dad 2years ago thankfully the me having kids made us see each other every week so got alot of time togeather but I know my sister regrets not seeing or ring him much and now it’s to late, don’t let that Happen to you

1 Like

My dad isn’t a phone person and he hates “bothering” us cuz he knows we are busy working sleeping for work or kids. So we call him I also take my youngest over a cpl days a week cuz he watches him for me. Maybe he doesn’t want to bother you if he knows your lives are busy and maybe thinks if you have the time you’d call him

3 Likes

Call him. If it’s nothing more than to say hi and I love you. Don’t let his tough old man attitude stop you. You will regret not trying! Best wishes and lots of love.

2 Likes

Call him !! Go see him !!

1 Like

The phone certainly does work both ways. If you aren’t making a effort why does it fall to him to make one if you don’t care enough to contact him too? I’m getting the feeling there is more to the story than just “oh he doesn’t want to call me”.

1 Like

My humble advice: put your energy where it is reciprocated. Family or not. I’d have ONE convo w/him stating your feelings. If after that there is no effort, you’re better off without him :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

PHONE :clap: WORKS :clap: BOTH :clap: WAYS :clap:
if you’re all too busy to call him he probably feels like you’re too busy for him to bother you

Edit
You realize the time taken out of your super busy life making this post and reading comments could’ve been used to CALL YOUR FATHER right?

8 Likes

I text my dad every day

2 Likes

At this stage in life you should be checking on your Dad, inviting him places or having him for dinners to spend time with his grandchildren. He knows your busy and doesn’t like to feel like a bother or burden.

4 Likes

Maybe he just figures that since you are all “in the busy time of your lives” that he should wait to hear from YOU. On YOUR time :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

Pick up the phone and call him. Stop letting your feeble " I’m too busy "excuses get between you and your dad.

2 Likes

If he listens and his kind to you when u reach out, I would still reach out myself even if I had too

If you call him and try to make plans with him (could be anything) does he get out of it or does he join? It could simply be his personality why he doesn’t call all the time.

I’m a mum of 2 kids a 6yr old and a 4yr old, im busy with taking them kindy and school, aswell as myself studying and doing my work placement. My big sister just had her 2nd, her oldest is almost 3 and goes to daycare. My little sister works everyday of the week, as well as studying she isn’t ,interested in having a family right now. My dad lives in another state, my big sister lives in another state and my little sister and I live about 3hrs away.
But I’ve travelled and seen my dad twice within 10 months, my big sister came up and saw me for my sons birthday. My little sister comes and sees me whenever she has a day off and if she has about a week off she will go up and see our dad. Dad has flown down to see our big sister.

But a few times a week, we group video call each other. My dad works in the mines so his hours are all over the place, but cause he is so busy we still try and call, somedays he will call us back, others he won’t and that’s just him being busy and tired.

It goes both ways. Start putting an effort in.

If you really want him to come around try making his new wife feel welcome

Call him then. If you have enough time to wait for his call, you have time to call

1 Like

Call him every day for a couple weeks ask how he is chit chat about your life and what ever for just a short little phone call see if the phone really does work both ways dad’s aren’t real good at a lot of wishy washy stuff doesn’t mean they don’t care

It only take two minutes to make a phone call or a text no excuses I talk to my daddy every Sunday you will regret it if you don’t make a bigger effort

Hmm…I’m probably not going to have a popular opinion on this but here it is.
So what? You are grown, have lives of your own, children too, but still expect your parent/s to chase after you?
People have lives they want to live their way.
Grandparents are not obligated to want to be in everyone’s lives every minute of every day.
Your father also remarried. He has things he probably wants to do with his wife.
Why force people to be a part of your life?
Is regular contact really that important?
What’s wrong with calling him to say hello?
If u want to talk to him that bad, then call him.
You can’t expect people to have the same feelings as yourself

4 Likes

As he says phone works both ways…go see ur dad! ID give anything to be able to go see mine

2 Likes

You call him and talk to him

2 Likes

Honey it goes both ways .just like daddy said . My dad don’t like talking on the phone much .but I do call him see how is doing and tell him I love him . I don’t keep him on the phone long .to me it doesn’t matter if he calls me I will call him at least very week or very other week .

1 Like

I’m with your dad. You call him and then he will start calling you more.

I think in a way he is right. The phone does work both ways & if you have time to talk to him should he reach out & call then you should have time to make that call to try & get something going as family again.

2 Likes

I washed my hands of all that. He is in his world, I’m in mine. :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

He’s right. It works both ways. Call him if you want to chat. Maybe he’s just as busy as you.

2 Likes

Busy or not he’s right, it works both ways. It take just a second to send a text. And a few mins to pick up the phone and make a quick call to say hi and see how he’s doing. I’m sure if you put in more effort, so would he. You are never to busy for something you want to do. So don’t get mad when he don’t go out of his way to reach out to you. I am super busy between work and kids but guess what, I talk to my mom and dad every single day. There’s always time. You’ll regret it someday when he’s no longer around.

2 Likes

Call your dad I wish I still had my dad to call

1 Like