What should I do?

My son is 15 and has been playing soccer since hes been 4. In elementary school he tried baseball and didn’t like it, so he quit. He played basketball for 3 years, then quit. He was in cub scouts for 4 years then quit. He is a sophomore in a private school and doesn’t want to play soccer once this year is over. He isn’t in any other clubs extra curricular activities. I am angry, upset and disappointed and need advice. I want to remove him from private school and just let him go to public school. I feel like he isn’t taking advantage of all they are offering and I am upset about soccer.

53 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. What should I do? - Mamas Uncut

you shouldnt be upset. kids are supposed to find out what interests them and those interests change over time

16 Likes

He shouldn’t have to play sports if he doesn’t want to. It’s his life…his interests not yours.

29 Likes

Well, you sound like a prick. It’s his hobbies and interests. Your job is to support your child in whatever phase, likes or dislikes. Otherwise, you’ll push your child away.

Maybe try theater, art, music, science, not everything has to be about sports when dealing with extra curriculars! I didn’t have an athletic bone in my body but kept busy with art, choir, debate, and student council. One last thought, talk to him, ask him how he wants to spend his free time. Communication is key, best of luck! :relaxed:

13 Likes

Let him be his own person. There is no point pushing him into clubs if he doesn’t want to be there.

11 Likes

Would you like someone to choose for you and then insist that you keep doing that activity whether you want to or not? He is old enough to know what he enjoys. We aren’t talking about school… its literally a game. People choose to do this for fun.

13 Likes

How dare he want to do what he wants…
DO NOT FORCE YOUR CHILD TO DO SPORTS
You want a soccer star in your house start warming up and hit the field

17 Likes

As a child of a parent who was like this…either get on board and support him in what he wants to do or be prepared for resentment, especially if you are as upset as you seem for making this post. He is growing up and needs to figure things out for himself and what makes HIM happy as he becomes an adult, not what makes YOU happy and him miserable trying to please you.

18 Likes

Just because you put your kid in private school does not mean he has to take up extracurricular activities that please you.Your kid needs to explore his own interests and you don’t get to live vicariously through him or try and make him king of the school clubs.The fact you are angry means you need to examine your thought process seriously.Parents don’t own children…did you have to take up every sport and club your parents desired??

9 Likes

At 15 your child is trying to figure out who they are as they work their way into adulthood. Let him take a break and do nothing for a while. And if he’s happy in his school I guess I don’t understand why you would want to use that as punishment for not wanting to be in sport as maybe he’s a tech kid, or interested in cooking or something totally different. To figure it out he just needs time to chill and learn who is is as he moves through the biggest time when his brain is developing into a man… cut him some slack

9 Likes

Maybe let him figure out who is is and dont force things on him. Would you like being forced to do things against your will?

4 Likes

Let him figure his life out. If he doesn’t like it, what can you do? He’s had a very eventful life so far.
Why do parents think they can control so much about their kids choices in this way? Sure, encouragement and guidance is great, but if they’re interest has changed, that still their choice.

3 Likes

Let him be a teenager and have some fun with his friends. Sports aren’t for everyone

4 Likes

So YOU want to play soccer so bad go play :woman_shrugging::roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Can’t force him. He will end up disliking you and you will not have a decent relationship with him. He’s old enough to find his way and if he doesn’t want to do sports, can’t force him and threatening to have him change schools will make things much worse for you in the long run. Let him be him before you push him away so far he’ll never come back!

2 Likes

There’s more to life than sports :tipping_hand_woman:t3:

Sounds like you’re trying to live vicariously through him. You’re not his boss, you’re his mom, and it’s your job to help him navigate things in his life. Not force him to play soccer :woozy_face::woozy_face::woozy_face:

1 Like

Soccer isn’t going to get him anywhere in life. Let that child choose. Maybe he would prefer art, chorus, Theater, STEM etc

1 Like

So, alot of people have summed up 99% of what I was thinking on this matter. The other 1% of is me being outraged because there are people out their that still honestly think that there kids were put on this earth to make them happy or to fulfill mom and daddy’s dreams. And that’s how this person is sounding. :roll_eyes: sounds like the parent has dreams of her kid being some kind of star sports player. When in reality very few will be.

4 Likes

So because your 15 year old doesn’t enjoy a sport anymore you’re willing to take him away from one environment and put him into another?

Sounds like you’re the issue here not him :woman_shrugging:t3:

6 Likes

Don’t worry one day you won’t even be around him to boss him around. I guarantee this is how you lose your kids once they are adults!! You act like sports are some huge life accomplishment. Is your son happy? Have you tried asking him what makes him happy? Because it’s not being forced to play sports to appease Karen the dictator mother.

7 Likes

Get over yourself. He gave everything adequate time to see if he liked it, and if he didnt at the end then that’s his choice. YOU’RE not the one playing. To say you’re having all these emotions over it is ridiculous.

Stop projecting what YOU want and follow what HE wants :roll_eyes:

Damn, if ya wanna play soccer so bad just go play soccer , it’s not up to your kid to live out YOUR dreams.

This post makes me so mad. Your son played sports for years. He didn’t quit… he followed through for years. Let him do what he wants to do as far as extra curriculars. He’s a kid. He should enjoy trying many different things.

3 Likes

He is 15 so have you had the talk about what he is considering after high school? Colleges look for extra curricular activities so I can understand your concern. However the approach you take could further break him to not want to do anything. Explain the importance of finishing what he has started and ask him what else there is that he may be interested in doing? Hear his thoughts and what he has to say and why he feels the way he does and take it from there. Like I said tread lightly though so as not to further push him away from wanting involvement in activities.

I live an area where soccer is through the Y or through local organizations… NOT through the schools. So theres a lot of cost attached to it. Little to no help like fundraisers ECT.
If kids play it’s because they truly enjoy it and that’s really about it.
So my opinion here is probably from those experiences.
So what I’m going to offer instead is some really generic advice:
The first thing I would do here is recommended some serious self-reflection:
*Why are you so upset about this?
*What did you think he would do with three more years of soccer? Why was three more years important to you?
*Why do you feel as though pulling him from private school is an apt punishment for quitting soccer?

The thing here is you need to be completely honest with yourself.
If you find that your answers are more self related…then I think it’s time to step back, put your feelings on pause, and look at his thoughts and feelings about it all and try really hard to dig in and see it all from his perspective.

I think it’s totally ok to ask him questions about his decision to try and understand it better. And ultimately it sounds as though that’s what you need to do.

3 Likes

He’s 15. Sounds like he’s been in some kind of sport since he could walk and he has stuck with soccer for 9 years. If you force him to continue playing, he’s not going to put in the full effort because he doesn’t wanna be there and he’s probably gonna resent you for forcing it. I know I would. My parents had a rule for my brother and I growing up, the same rule I follow with my kids. If you start it, you finish it. But if you don’t wanna do it again, you don’t have to. I would ask him why he doesn’t wanna play anymore and if there is something else he wants to do. After that, let him focus on his academics. And I definitely wouldn’t pull him from private school JUST because he doesn’t wanna play soccer. That would be like punishing him by ripping him away from his friends and what he’s known all because YOU are mad he doesn’t wanna do sports anymore. Don’t be that parent! Support your son in HIS decisions.

Maybe he doesn’t want to be involved in extra curricular activities? He’s struggling with his workload at school? Instead of being pissed off at your kid, have a conversation with him about why he doesn’t want to do these things anymore. And then honor his wishes!

Get over yourself and let him decide what he does and doesn’t want to do himself.

4 Likes

Don’t try to live your life through him. Let him make some decisions on his own. He’s not so little anymore. If he comes back to soccer he does, if not maybe he finds something else he enjoys far more than what you’re choosing for him to be able to do. Let his light shine!

1 Like

I understand your disappointment. I’m a big advocate for kids sports, especially teenagers. It keeps them focused and out of trouble. But if he really doesn’t want to play anymore then I would tell him fine so you have to sign up for at least two extra curriculars. If he goes to private school I assume it’s because he’s going to college and colleges want to see clubs, activities, volunteerism, etc.

3 Likes

I am glad for everyone’s responses. I hope that boy gets to live the life he wants. :sweat:

3 Likes

Sounds like you need to sit down and really LISTEN to your child. Going to pull them from a good education because of a sport. Children learn and grown and change paths…we are there to guide and encourage them.

4 Likes

Doesn’t sound like ‘quitting’ if he’s in these clubs for years. It sounds like he’s decided he doesn’t like them as much as he thought he would or feels he has gotten what he can from the activity.

Are you expecting him to become a professional soccer player or something? Back off. His workload for private school is probably heavy enough without soccer. Maybe he wants to try something else. Why do you expect him to do these activities forever just because he tried them for a few years? He’s 15, a sophomore, he has time to find other extracurriculars for his college application even if he takes a break for awhile.

9 Likes

Kids change and sometimes need a break.

1 Like

School can be really hard and maybe that’s all he can manage. Is he an introvert? Maybe he doesn’t like group /team stuff. Chess club, robotics, tennis, long distance running, swimming, archery, hiking, skiing, gardening, music (singing, playing an instrument, learning to be a sound technician or DJ), art or videography, working on a political campaign or for a cause or tutoring or mentoring a child who is struggling might be more up his alley.

How come you don’t know what interests him, only what interests you? The best way is to keep an open mind and just ask him what he wants to do to engage with the world. Then support him as he tries that out.

What is your aim getting him involved? To be a more rounded person? To make friends? To get a scholarship? To brag to your friends about his achievements? To keep him in shape or healthier? To get him out of the house? To help him be happier? Are you putting expectations on him so he feels like no matter what he does he’ll never be good enough for you, so why even try? No kid should feel like a failure if they’re doing their best, and when anything ceases to be enjoyable, they’ll quit. This doesn’t mean they shouldn’t practice at all, but the point is to have fun and learn in new ways.

Maybe you should both try something new that interests him—learn a new language or how to play guitar, or ride a motorcycle (when he’s old enough), cosplay, or take a cooking class, play video games together, take up target shooting, study a religion, take up a form of meditation, birdwatching, get certified in CPR, etc.

If all he wants to do is go to class and get good grades, consider yourself lucky. I’ll bet he doesn’t skip school, smoke, use drugs or cigarettes, abuse alcohol, bully others or is in a gang. Not every parent is as lucky, so relax a bit and enjoy your life and son more.

What are your activities outside work and home? Is it time you took up a sport/s, hobby/s or cause/s? What do you do to inject fun and learning into your life? What are you looking forward to doing once he moves out and is on his own?

I understand
My daughter was the same and had offers from a lot of colleges but the fact is plain and simple. She was done with soccer, burnt out what ever you want to call it. She was 15 at the time and had been playing since she was three. Never forced. She lived snd breathed soccer for many years
It was her life, why force him or her if they don’t enjoy it anymore. I’d rather see my daughter happy doing other things she enjoys
Of course I miss watching her, but her happiness doing things she loves is more important
The was a point in time she loved soccer and couldn’t get enough but those days are over
Let them enjoy their life
She is now a barrel racer, and although I don’t know much about it, I’m learning and support her one million percent

2 Likes

Maybe you should stop living through your child and let him live his life. Also, suggest this group to him. He will absolutely need it - The Siblinghood: Children of Narcissistic and Abusive Parents

7 Likes

It’s not your life to live lady !!! Stop having expectations of WHAT YOU WANT ! Be happy and grateful your child is still alive !! Let him find his inner self, get to know your child in a deeper level connect with him !!

1 Like

if you like it so much why don’t you play it. you know how hard it is to go to school all day 5 days a week have homework for 6 different classes ontop of projects too. then we’re expected to get a job or support during free time?? that is so much on a CHILD

4 Likes

Leave him alone and stop trying to live your life and dreams through your son. He’s a young man now, time for Him to figure out what He wants to do.

3 Likes

I never understood why a parent would force their child to play sports when the child doesn’t want to. If he isn’t using drugs just be happy about that.

3 Likes

Let him decide for himself jeez. Stop trying to live thru your kid cause that’s why you’re upset honestly cause u want to live thru him by having him go to all these things that he quit.

2 Likes

Is taken him from private school to public suppose to be a punishment?
Lol Have you ever been to a pubic school?

2 Likes

Where’s Ashton Kutcher?

Why are you upset about him making his choice? Why do you want to remove him from private school to public? Just because he doesn’t want to keep playing soccer? You’re going to punish him with a lesser education because he’s choosing differently that what you want?

I let my kids make their own choices with out resources & guidance. I want them to grow up feeling secure in their decisions. I don’t want them second guessing themselves. That’s what you’re causing here. He’s made his decision. You’re forcing him to do what he clearly doesn’t want. There’s no reasoning behind it. The only reason is to make you happy. Does your sons happiness mean anything to you?

4 Likes

My parents had a rule, we had to be “doing something”. We got to pick what that “something” was. But we were not allowed to go to school and come home and sit in front of the TV all day/night. We also had to hold down part time jobs.

2 Likes

So you want to take him out of the school he knows because he dosent want to play sports???

6 Likes

He is doing these clubs for years, why are you so angry, some kids are not into sports at all, why does he have to have an extracurricular activity? Private school is for an education not for a sport.
Also a child grows and in leaps and bounds through these years and could just not like it anymore and that’s OK.
V He is 15 now and going to be making a lot of his own decisions And many more in just the next few years, you need to let him go a little, Let him make more of his own choices.

6 Likes

Make him join a clubs… even if he isn’t in sports the clubs will still look good on applications and maybe they have clubs that he is interested in… my dad always told us if we weren’t in sports we need to do something whether it was clubs or getting a part time job… it helps kids with time management skills. I am extremely happy my dad forced us to do so granted I was in sports but literally right after graduation. I appreciate how much it helped me handle my time management and as an adult I am not struggling a lot.

Why not ask him why he wants to quit and if there is something else he might be interested in.

4 Likes

My 3 daughters won’t do any sport, activities after school they figure after school should be with friends running the neighborhood and going to the mall. My 3 year old son practically begged to play soccer this past summer and when it was over asked if he can play next summer. All kids r different all kids have ideas of how they want to spend their time. Don’t take education away because he wont do what u want

Extra-curricular activities are just that, EXTRA. Not all kids find enjoyment in sports. This has been an adjustment me over the years. I played sports and was involved in a lot in school. My kids played rev soccer but as soon as it was a school sport they decided they were done. My daughter did 3 yrs of swim team starting in 7th grade and when she quit I was bummed. I enjoyed watching her swim.
My son is in 7th grade and is on his 3rd year of competitive archery. His dad pushes for him to live and breathe the sport and its killing his desire to participate.
My kids are wired differently than I was at their age. They don’t enjoy competition and accepting that has been my job as a parent.
The private school is likely providing your son a higher level of academics, sports shouldn’t be a deciding factor! If your son isn’t getting anything out of the ACADEMICS, only then would it make sense to pull him.

Wow, parent of the year🙄 so you’re going to take away a better education because he doesn’t want to play soccer anymore? He’s 15, he is at that age where he is figuring out who he is. Maybe he wants to join a club or art class, or some other sport. Sounds like you’re trying to live through him, let your son be who he is! He will just resent you if you push him to do soccer and take him away from his friends, smh!

8 Likes

He didn’t “quit.” In each if those sports he gave it a good few years and then decided it wasn’t for him. Encourage him to join some clubs that suit his interests, but if he feels like he just wants to focus on his classes then get off his back

8 Likes

Let him make his choices regarding sports. Do not try to live relive your life through his . He is only a kid once

3 Likes

Uhmm you want to take him out of the school he knows and has friends in because he doesn’t want to play soccer? Poor teen. He made a choice, hes more than likely going to be making a whole lot of them that you don’t like, especially if you are breathing down his neck the way you are. Just try to see if he is interested in other things that he could pick up as hobbies. If you actually communicate you’ll get further.

3 Likes

It’s his choice. Not yours. You have one job and that is to support him ways. He’s probably exhausted. He probably never wanted to play and did so because it’s what you wanted. I have 6 kids. Boys played sports lived it. 2 girls. One plays soccer one hates sports. But loves art and science. Let him rest and let him chose what he wants to do. He may feel he needs to concentrate on his studies.

Maybe he is growing up momma. Bet he doesn’t play with toy cars and blocks any more. Talk to him see what he is thinking. Maybe suggest he get a part time job. Start paying his own bills. Learning life skills. Not your son
I’ve had the pleasure of working with teenagers on their frist job. Its unloading a truck and stacking boxes on a pallet by numbers. They can’t do it. Can’t make pay last from one paycheck to next ( living at home). Don’t know how to cook, do laundry, and are own their on for frist time. So much still to learn

3 Likes

I think a lot of people are missing that extra is not extra to get into good schools extra - curricular is required. Ask him what he wants, explain to him the importance ( ie why you have him in private school and about extras). If he is not involved in the process he won’t have any extra curricular activities.

#toxicparent Imagine forcing your child to do extra curriculars they aren’t interested in. How would you feel if someone forced you to play a sport you no longer enjoyed? At that age he wants to figure out what he’s into and where he wants to go in life.

5 Likes

I feel bad for your son. It’s not your decision and you should respect that! Let him live his life and enjoy what he chooses to do. Then going to punish him because he is doing what makes him happy and not what you decide for him smh. When he turns 18 and leaves home, don’t act surprised if he distances himself from you because it will be your fault.

2 Likes

Yikes. Wtf. How dare your son let his interests change as he grows :woman_facepalming:t2:.
It’s not like he tries it for a week and quit. He’s been doing it for years and doesn’t want to continue.

1 Like

Quit forcing kids to play what you want? They get burnt out because that’s what you want them to do. Maybe he doesn’t wanna play anymore and that’s okay.

1 Like

It’s literally extra! If he doesn’t want to do anything don’t make him!! He’s probably done. I walked into my high school my 1st day of freshman year, and told myself I wasn’t doing anything extra, and I was just there to get my diploma, school is hard enough. Let the boy do what HE wants. This isn’t YOUR life. As long as he’s getting good grades, turns in his homework, and does what he’s supposed to do. Why make HIM do something when it isn’t even YOUR life. Stop being disappointed in your child and just accept the fact that he’s living his life how he wants wants. There’s no good in being mad at a kid for something so fucking stupid. :unamused: Jesus. You have some growing up to do.

If you think your son “quite” all the things he did. Your extremely toxic. He put in good years at each thing he did why can’t you get excited for him for doing all of those things and accept that maybe he’s warn out?? I mean he’s been doing it for 11 years!

Maybe hes overwhelmed with everything!
If he gets good grade and stays out of trouble that should be enough! Its stressful being a teenager sometimes maybe he just wants to chill without all the constant practices and games and running around. AND THAT IS OK!

5 Likes

Sounds like he isn’t playing because he isn’t interested anymore. Let him live HIS life instead of living yours. Yes we all would love for our kids to do things like sports BUT he has to want to do it for him and not because mom wants him to.
Just breathe momma! He’s starting to make his own choices and he is finding himself. What he enjoyed years ago is obviously not the case now. I’m sure there’s things you once enjoyed but “outgrew” or lost interest. Education is the most important. Extracurricular activities are for fun.

3 Likes

You’re just insufferable. Holy shit. I feel bad for your son.

Wow. Obsessive and controlling much? Like jfc - you must be one of those highly competitive, too serious parents that sucks the fun out of everything their child is trying to do for fun. If your son doesn’t want to continue playing sports or be in any clubs, you can’t force him to; you’ll only make him fight back and miserable if he hasn’t already.

3 Likes

Grow up seriously if he is burnt out that’s fine do you play sports. You sound so critical and like one of those parents screaming from the side lines.

2 Likes

Maybe suggest he join another activity. I can understand you want him in a sport or activity so it looks good for college in the future.
As a parent of teens I’ve realized the more I’d push, the more they push back. So let him make his own decisions. As a parent it’s our job to direct them, not control.

1 Like

My almost 13yo son has been doing Bowling Leagues since 2nd grade he also does Travel Bowling Leagues since 3rd grade and he competes in Tournaments every year. He is a natural and talented. He’s been Earning Scholarship money since he very first Leagues day. I have always told him if you start a season you must finish it out before quitting. As much as I LOVE watching him and would be sad about the loss of some of the Scholarship money he’s already earned I would NEVER force him to continue if he was unhappy. My son has done baseball, basketball, football, archery and right now he’s doing Bowling and XCountry in the spring he will do Track. The activities he does is 100% his choice! There are times he has 3-5 activities happening at a time and then there are times where it’s just Bowling events. My son has a major say in his education and activities always has. If he quit Bowling this year I wouldn’t be upset at all. And that’s coming from someone who has Spent $1000s each year for him to Bowl and Travel and have equipment he needs! It hasn’t been cheap to support his bowling but if he wanted to end it that’s up to him. I just ask that he be happy and not upset when he looses and when he wins he’s to be humble. And that’s exactly how he is! He loves it and is happy and never let’s a gutter get him down and never knows what his score is before he is there having fun and loving it! That’s what you want from your kids!

1 Like

Seems like he’s done a lot of things & leaves when they no longer serve their purpose for him. It’s good he’s able to make those decisions. Don’t pressure him to do something he hates.

3 Likes

Stop allowing him to quit, when hes a adult you cant quit you have Bill’s, lessons are to be instilled now…

1 Like

LMFAO ew. That’s not up to you to make him be involved in that stuff.

1 Like

Um that’s fucked up. My kids I live by do what you want. He played ar 4 that for sure is already forced. And your making him play this far. Calm down and let your child be a child. Period.

Put him in public school with all the regular folks. That will teach him :joy::joy:

Maybe you should go join a soccer team since you are clearly the only one enjoying it anymore. Aren’t kids’ interests supposed to change as they grow? Let the boy quit soccer and find something else he enjoys.

7 Likes

Why are you angry over your child making a choice for himself?

2 Likes

You can’t force your son to do some he’s not interested in. If he’s doing well scholastically then I would be very happy. Some kids get into trouble or drugs or both. He obviously isn’t interested in sports and not everyone is. If you keep harping at him about it he may not want a relationship with you, so lots on the negative side to think about.

Why would quitting soccer translate into switching schools?

He shouldn’t have to please you by playing in the sports you want mabe he wants to try something else but your disapproval is holding him back.

2 Likes

Growing up I played sports. I was the one who wanted to play tho. The parents that forced their kids to play the kids played worse & they resented their parents. Don’t force him. Tell him to find another activity if anything but don’t get so angry with him. Maybe he just wants a break sounds like he’s had a pretty full schedule for a long time.

1 Like

Wow how controlling can one parent be ? Let you child decide if he wants to be in sports. Your obviously one of those parents that wants to brag about the sports he is in. It’s not your decision. It’s his. He is a teenager and needs your love instead of bossing him into activity he doesn’t like. That’s how you get kids to start being rebellious and getting into trouble.

2 Likes

Maybe he just needs a year off. He may miss it and want to go back next year.
My daughter cheered from 1st grade on… city peewee league, a couple of years of all star, middle school, high school. Tumbling the whole thing. When she was a freshman, she started saying how she didn’t want to cheer anymore and I talked her into it every year before tryouts. The high school coach loved her and told her how she’d be captain later… needless to say, I should’ve listened to her. Personality conflicts (girls can be mean… I justified it by saying she needs to learn to handle these situations because life’s not fair), stress of school, football games, competitions… it was a lot. And she wasn’t captain her senior year. Was one of the junior captains her junior year and the votes were tied for senior captain. When the revotes were in, she didn’t get anything. She graduated in 2020 so the last of her senior year was a sh*t show with COVID shutting everything down. She didn’t even want to watch her schools football games last year, said they gave her ptsd. Said she’ll never let her daughter cheer and won’t put her through that. I should’ve let her quit after her freshman year and maybe a year off would all she would have needed and tried out for her junior year. But I pushed her to stay and probably made her high school years way more stressful than they should’ve been.

You are upset because you are projecting your failed opportunities growing up on your 15 year old. If it’s not his thing it’s not his thing. Have you actually sat down and tried talking to him about what HE WANTS to do? Sounds like he’s been living his life for you and not him. You have to give the kid some credit. He’s put effort into every activity that you’ve made him try and he hasn’t like it. I haven’t seen much variation, with the exception of cub scouts and even then, doesn’t really sound like he had much of a choice. You should be angry at yourself for not catching onto the cues that your kid doesn’t like sports. Work on your communication and get to know your son better.

2 Likes

Your 15 year old son is making decisions for himself regarding his body and life… And that angers you?
The problem just might me you.

9 Likes

He doesn’t have to play. He should should have some kind of activity/interest so talk to him about what he wants to do.

For sure wasting your money. Nothing wrong with public school. Maybe he just doesn’t know what he likes because you have been forcing him to do everything since he was young. He is finally stepping into himself and trust you have raised him right. Let him be himself.

3 Likes

He’s making his own choices and decided what he wants to do. You should be proud not upset.

3 Likes

In my house, my kids have to be in some sort of sport. I was upset as well when my oldest quit her swim team as a junior and said she wanted to focus more on school itself. She is a senior now and will be attending The university of Texas next year and will be a software engineering intern with Samsung starting next spring… sometime you just have to let your kids grow up as long as they’re not making wrong choices.

4 Likes

Alot of you are saying she forced him into these sports, im going to use my context clues here and actually read what was said, oh yes here it is “he played”. where do you get from that, that’s she was forcing him to do all these things? Are you all maybe projecting YOUR childhood experiences on this poor woman? And also it shows that he played a sport and quit so clearly he is allowed to say he doesn’t want this or that. All the sports he played he quit minus soccer, and that seems to be the longest standing sport for him so knowing this and knowing how long he put effort into it, it would be hard for me to see my kid give up a sport hes done for 10 years running and atleast he said he would finish it out this school year, and thats the rule for my kids, we have to pay for all sports in the area for the kids to participate, and it can be expensive, so if one decides they want to play soccer so I get them in and pay whats required to play, pay for all of the equipment and pay for possible transport of my kids places, they WILL be finishing out that season, we don’t have money to throw around like that. I can’t say much for the moving from private to public because he’s not utilizing what private has to offer him thing she said but other then that its a justified feeling.

1 Like

Don’t force him to do something he don’t wanna do?

1 Like

Most kids come to a point in high-school that they are tired of playing the sports because they are no longer about fun

2 Likes

Are you going to play soccer for him then? :joy: You’re mad because your child doesn’t fit into the box you have purposely concocted in your head, filled with all these expectations…honey, thats not real life. And ultimately, your ridiculous expectations are going to do nothing but negatively affect your relationship. You need to decide what is more important, extracurriculars, or your relationship with your son. What I told my daughter, if you start something, you’re in it for the entire season. There is no quitting in a team sport. If you’re going to do this, then you need to do either all of it to the best of your ability and see it through, or none of it. Encourage him to find something he loves and be happy with that. If you force him to do something he doesn’t want to commit to, he will resent you and your relationship will suffer as a result. Id rather have a happy (mentally and physicallyl) child, than have them doing something their heart isn’t in. It’s not fair to those on the team that your son steals a spot from who are in it for the right reasons. From a coaching standpoint, they don’t learn, because they don’t want to be there. The only reason they are there is because of parent expectations.

7 Likes

Is he in private school only for sports or academics?? I understand wanting your child to take advantage of all private school has to offer , because it’s included . Maybe he doesn’t like sports ?? I wouldn’t pull him out of the school though because of it . Private school is great ! There’s other benefits besides sports .

2 Likes

You love soccer so much then go play yourself and leave this young man alone.

8 Likes

How let’s not take advantage A private school education which is better than the public school system because all he don’t wanna play sports.

Education should be taken advantage of at the private school before sports

1 Like