What should we do about this dog?

My husbands grandmother bought a new dog after the family dog passed away a few months ago, so she called and invited us (myself and my 2 year old daughter) to meet this dog whom they bought. So we go to the house and the dog ended up bitting my daughter in the face! After the bite happened she informs me that in the first 24 hours of having the dog he has attacked another small dog and left a mark on my nephews face in which they said is not from the dog biting him? I’m beyond pissed!!! But they think it was an accident, saying the dog didn’t mean too he only scratched her! (I seen the whole this and he bit her there are marks!) fast forward and she calls me to tell me the dog has his vaccines (this was my first question after the bite) and tells me this dog has had 3 owners in the last year! And they got him off a site because he was only a few hundred dollars. But still thinks the dog is safe to be around kids and I’m over reacting…??? What do you think???

26 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. What should we do about this dog? - Mamas Uncut

I would be concerned that the dog has had three owners. Get the dog into some training.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t go back over unless the dog was in a cage. As someone who got bite in the face, I wouldn’t risk it. I wouldn’t go back. The dog needs proper training, you wouldn’t be over reacting if you decided to not go back. Or ask the grandmother to put her newly found dog up. If it was me, I wouldn’t take my kids back, and I personally wouldn’t go back until they got rid of the dog. It’s got to be hard to jump from home to home. But it doesn’t make what the dog did ever okay.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t go back there unless they put the dog in a crate or in another room while you are there. Sounds like the dog has some aggression issues which is probably why it was in so many homes.

3 Likes

If the owner of the dog won’t do anything about it then don’t take ur kids around there until it’s safe to do so

1 Like

Dogs take time to adjust to new surroundings. Especially if they’ve never had a stable environment and judging by the number of previous owners, I bet the dog is anxious and scared.

I know because my dog is 100% like this. She was abandoned, adopted out alot, had NO stability and eventually landed on the streets then a shelter where I got her.

It took MONTHS to gain her trust. She never paid much mind to my kids, but it took YEARS for her to adjust to my husband lol

Crate train her. Give her a few weeks to adjust. Slowly introduce your daughter (while still in the crate). Allow the other dogs to figure out boundaries. It can be fixed with effort and proper training.

Most of the time with dogs, especially shelter dogs, aggressive behavior is just fear.

11 Likes

So just don’t bring your kids around the dog. Simple.

5 Likes

She should get the dog into training classes to help settle it down.

The dog need obedience training and to not be around kids .

Simple. Sont bring you kid there

1 Like

The dog should be put down for biting and attacking. Obviously hes not good around kids so don’t take them back. The grandmother isnt thinking about the kids and only making excuses. Either way your thinking of the children which is what everyone should think about. Best of luck

10 Likes

3 owners is a lot for a dog. It’s likely stressed out. That means it shouldn’t be around anyone for a while. And with proper training. It will become a biting hazard alone because it wasn’t given the proper time to de-stress. I would keep my kids far from the dog. Definitely don’t leave them alone with it.

3 Likes

The dog is probably scared and traumatized from being rehomed so much. It needs stability in it’s life and structured training. Until that happens, I wouldn’t suggest bringing any children around it.

5 Likes

You’re over reacting and you shouldn’t have even let her get close enough to get bitten. She’s two years old for gods sake smh :woman_facepalming:

3 Likes

I hope you reported the bite to animal control. And got proper medical attention for the dog.

1 Like

First of all, toddlers should NOT be unsupervised around dogs, or in close range without an adult right there. Second of all, that dog needs training ASAP.

4 Likes

A dog bites my kid and that dog will be put to sleep on the spot.
Report it. Now.
Grandma needs a reality check. I’ll happily burn bridges over my kids safety.

8 Likes

This happened to us with our son (bit in the butt though) at my MIL house. We now request the dog is put away in another room when we visit. She gladly complies. I can’t tell her what to do with her dog (get rid of or keep) but I can request she put em up when we visit.

It takes time for a dog/pet to acclimate to its new home/environment. It needs (quiet) time to decompress. And time to bond with new owners. Then slowly be introduced to others.

3 Likes

Nope, nope nope nope! An aggressive dog is nothing to mess around with. My children wouldn’t be going back over there until the dog is gone. Your daughter is going to be terrified every time she goes there, and every time she is around one. Id also report it to police, because if this dog continues to do this, this time it was her face, next time, we might not be so lucky. You are NOT overreacting.

2 Likes

One report the dog bite to the authorities and let them handle it. They’ll quarantine it and put it down if it happens again (at least around here). She knew the dog had a history of being vicious and didn’t tell you. Seek medical attention for your daughter to document the attack. Also stop going there

2 Likes

Our son when he was 10 got mauled by a dog of his friends that only a few weeks before killed another one of their dogs( we didn’t know that at the time). Our son needed emergency surgery and missed 2 weeks of school. Luckily his face didn’t get torched. The dog was put down ASAP. Once a dog taste blood they will bite again.

3 Likes

I’d report the bite, and give them all the information you just gave us on this post, all these people tryna justify a violent animal, point blank I would press charges because the grandmother knows she has grandkids, and for common sense you’d think with the information she was told that she would comprehend that, that dog was not safe, she not only endangered herself but everyone else and that is not okay!

5 Likes

How old is the dog? Is it a dog or a puppy? Because puppies and biting need simple redirection, they don’t know better. If it’s a dog that’s had multiple owners, it could have some emotional issues, have been abused and therefore scares easily and shouldn’t be trusted around young children. The best thing is to stay away until the owner has spoke to the vet about the behavioural issues and gets the pup in some kind of training classes to correct the behaviour. The owner needs to learn as well. Having a dog that is quick to bite is not good for anyone.

Okay 1st off. Dogs don’t just attack for no reason.
Secondly the dog doesn’t deserve to be put down just cause he bite a few people.
Obviously the dogs has been through stuff and needs obience training. And aggression training.
The dog has gone through a lot. And just like humans it can traumatized them.

You have every right to be upset that ur child got bite.
And truthfully I would keep my kids at a distance till the dog is handled better

Edit to add.
My 7 years old got bite when he was 2 in the face bu a cousin black lab.
A month ago I got my leg tore open by my friends pitbull because he tried to attack mine.

5 Likes

You haven’t put the dog down yet that the only thing to do

3 Likes

You’re not over reacting AT ALL. That is her Granddaughter and she should come first. Secondly the dog should be put down. You stand your ground and don’t have any children around the dog, heck I wouldn’t want to be around the dog as an adult. Doesn’t sound like your Mom is very compassionate or is getting the message, however that will be her loss. Sometimes it’s really hard to understand what makes people tick.

Not over reacting. Not one bit. In fact I think most people under react when it comes to dogs. It’s an animal. And he has a history of biting and has bit your child. I would not bring your child over until the dog is gone. Or have him locked in a room. It only take seconds for a your child to be hurt badly. And you can’t undo it. Better safe then sorry.

2 Likes

NO. Keep your kids away!!!

I dont think you are overreacting but I do think some of the commenters are.

I was bit in the mouth as a child by a large dog, but was my fault (parent and owners fault) but I hugged the dog around his neck and he bit my. Stitches to my mouth and a scar. Thankfully it wasn’t huge. To this day and since that day I still LOVE dogs. It didnt Traumatize me or create any fear. Your daughter has that same chance.

Grandma knew the dog had some violent history and didnt say anything. Shame on her.
Situational wise, how did it happen? Did your daughter get too close? Was it unsupervised? What was the dog doing beforehand?

Putting a dog down is ending a life and it should be thought about thoroughly.

I wouldn’t go back with your children until the dog is either rehomed to a loving, stable place or until he has training.

So sorry that happened and I hope everyone is feeling better soon!!

4 Likes

Just ask her to crate the dog when you are there or keep it in another room. Some breeds don’t do well with small children.

Don’t take your child there

3 Likes

I think you can report someone’s dog for biting

3 Likes

It sounds like this dog has never been given time to settle in, decompress, and acclimate. Would I be happy about the dog biting my kid? Absolutely not. BUT I’m also not a dipsh!t and KNOW how to properly handle dogs. It sounds like none of you have a clue what you’re doing and continue putting this dog in situations that make the dog feel defensive.

10 Likes

Fuck that dog !!! That what I think!!! It’s obviously not safe if it’s already been with three owners in just the past year!!! RED FLAGS!!!

I wouldn’t let my kid around the dog. When u visit ask for dog to be put in bedroom or something.

Dog ,granny and enablers would all be dealt with.
I would let the law deal with it or else I would be like locked up…

The poor dog needs training and cannot be around kids or small dogs until it is known that it is safe. They should definitely not keep that dog if they don’t know how to handle it. Did it come with a bite history already?

2 Likes

Not overreacting at all. Keep your kids away from that dog. Just stay away until the dog is gone.

You need to report this. Unfortunately they will put the dog down, but the potential of it mauling a small child is too high.

Keep your kids away from grandma’s house, unless the dog is crated and in another room. Some dogs just don’t do well with small children or high energy situations.
Grandma should have the dog placed in a training school, they’ll be able to assess if the dog can properly acclimate and be trained. But shame on grandma for not saying anything beforehand.

1 Like

Your not over reacting. I was pissed when my daughter got bit by her dad’s dog. Honestly, the dog needs training. It doesn’t need to be put down. Or she needs to lock up the dog when kids are around. Going to three different owners in one year that dog is going to need some time.

1 Like

Never leave the kids with a dog who has already bitten, and never leave a child with a dog that you dont know th history of

3 Likes

Meh. I’m more of a " what was the kid doing?" Type.

4 Likes

The dog needs training. He’s also adjusting to a new family as well as suffering from the trauma of moving families over and over.

1 Like

Not saying the dog isn’t wrong but is your daughter respectful of dog boundaries example does she know not to pull dogs ears tails jump on them go near their food trying to take it away everyone is Always quick to blame the dog but sometimes theirs a reasoning

6 Likes

Muzzle the dog when anyone is there.

1 Like

Don’t go over until they get rid of the dog

1 Like

Rehome the dog. Or see if the ASPCA will take the dog. Sometimes dogs dont like kids or dogs afraid of kids.

The dog needs training. I would make they have a crate and they are using it regularly and when people are visiting. That’s very concerning that the dog has had three plus owners :cry:

1 Like

Nope tell her your not visiting or the dog is there. The fact the dog bite your child I would call the police

The vaccines aren’t going to stop the dog from biting

I would definitely never leave the child alone with the dog.

The dog needs a proper rehabilitation home.

1 Like

Id be pissed. If the dog has already been aggressive why on earth would they want you to bring your child around it.

1 Like

You totes over reacting. Teach the crotchfruit to respect their space.

2 Likes

So like. I have a two year old, and I would never leave her alone with a dog (or cat) because she’s a butthole that doesn’t know how to properly respect animals yet. I always monitor her around any animals especially ones that I don’t know the behaviors of.

So. Imma be the odd one out and say that it’s irresponsible to have the kid that young around a new pet. Kids are curious and like poking and yanking things and the dog could’ve honestly felt threatened, and tried to protect itself. Your grandmother in law should honestly take a bit more responsibility over the situation since it’s HER dog. But for future visitations, just monitor your child and keep them from the dog if it’s not possible to cage it.

1 Like

I sorry but if it bites my kid or anyone it would be dead

1 Like

She was 100% in the wrong. If the dog has bitten before she should have told you before you brought the baby over. Or not had you over at all. Granted sometimes kids get over excited but the dog has history & I’m sure adults were around to make sure things didnt get out of control. Hope the baby is ok

No way should your child or any other child EVER be around that dog. Tell grandma she better have some good insurance because if the dog bites someone they may sue the heck out of grandma.

I am a dog person. We have 3 dogs. You are not over reacting. I’m sure that dog has been mistreated in it’s revolving door of owners and I hate to think where it may end up next. But your grandma doesn’t seem to be taking this seriously enough. I wouldn’t trust that dog in the same house as my child, especially if the only adult is grandma. Nope!

I would not bring my child back around this dog.

You should not be allowing your child to get that close to the dogs face to be bitten. The dog is new to the home and needs time to decompress. Simply ask her to put cujo away while you’re visiting and teach your child to respect all dogs and their personal space.

I love how people would say you were overreacting and to teach personal space around the dog but like if the dog did it just because and you’re gunna blame it on the kid, so if that dog killed that child what would you say? “oh teehee you are so totally over reacting, if your child wasn’t around the dog she would still be alive teehee( hair flip )”
Get a grip, i do not care if the child was too close to the animal or not or just walked in the room or not its first reaction shouldn’t be to bite… I doubt a goddman 2 year old was doing anything to that dog that should have constituted “protecting” itself. All kids should be taught to respect animals but do not act.like dogs only attack when someone is in their personal space. Get over yourselves

1 Like

Did she even ask if the dog was ok around kids before getting the dog?. If she didn’t then that was very irresponsible of her knowing there are kids in the family. She needs to get the dog into training/obedience classes. If the dog has the same behaviors after finishing/graduating the classes then she needs to not allow the dog around the kids and other dogs or re-home the dog to a family where he/she is the only dog in the family and there are no kids at all.

When we got our dog everyone was freaking out because she was a pitbull/boxer mix. However we spent a decent amount of time with her trying to get in her space and not minding if we got hurt and correct the problem. She still has not bit anyone out of anger or insecurity. I would suggest while she’s eating first move her bowl from her slowly and see what the reaction is give positive affirmation when she doesn’t freak out. If the dog does firm language of saying no repeatedly if persistent. Once that is done a few times try putting your hand in the bowl while they are eating. Use this same concept when it comes to toys. You’re not over reacting. Maybe have a conversation with your daughter about dogs tendencies. When we had the conversation with my step kids about boundaries for our dog. Like if the dog runs under a piece of furniture or is running away in general not to chase after it. Or if the dog begins to growl stop what they are doing and go somewhere else. No matter how well mannered or not a dog is they have a breaking point like humans just can’t express it in a healthy way at times.

I have two pitts they have never bite my greatgrand kids i put them in my bed room every time there at my house why take the chance

1 Like

Don’t let your child go to their house

First …im sorry your daughter got hurt. Hope she’s ok and doesn’t now develop a fear of all dogs :heartpulse:
Rescue dogs are an unknown. We dont know their full history . They have often been badly treated by past owners and perhaps bullied or hurt by children.
A proper slow introduction to everyone is needed…especially children… personally I dont allow visitors to my home without the dog being leashed to begin with. My grandkids are young , boisterous dog lovers who want to pet, play and hug …but its not allowed until proper introductions are done and ive spent time learning the dogs temperament and language…then I can instruct the children
Atm I have a jack russell. Im lucky she’s very good natured but I’ve had her since 8 weeks old and know her very well. The children love her and she loves them…but she is still a dog and they are still children…neither are fully trustworthy imo.
This was a badly handled avoidable situation.
Grandmother should have warned you and leashed the dog .