What to do about my cigar smoking neighbor?

Live with it or move :woman_shrugging:

I would move personally or take it further if your apartment manager isnt doing anything

The stairs in my apartment always smells of weed :man_shrugging::rofl::rofl:

Mind your f**kin business. I didnā€™t even read more than the first sentence.

You live in apartment above him right?

Yeah no problem, just forget to turn off your bathtub for a couple days lol

Ask to move apartments possibly

Itā€™s in your landlords hands, if you canā€™t get him or her on side then youā€™re stuck with it. You could always pour water on him.

2 Likes

Move before you get killed due to his smoking negligence.

8 Likes

Move or buy an air purifier

Cigar smoking should be illegal in apartments. Period. Tell what % of the population can TOLERATE cigar smoke? Tolerate. Hating cigar smoke is almost universal.

You can actually threaten to sue the owner of the building for not enforcing the leases. Call a lawyer and see what your rights are.

Un vaso in testa dal balcone

Have the alarm go off anytime he smokes his cigar

Moving someplace else would be the answer.

6 Likes

DO NOT MOVE. Make them move. Itā€™s easy. Be a bitch. I know of a thousand ways to do it.

You are not allowed to do anything to disturb your neighbourā€™s peace, according to your contract.

So, stop bugging your cigar smoking neighbour. Youā€™re disturbing his peacešŸ˜‰

29 Likes

Unless it is in the contract that it is a smoke free bldg, there is not much that you can do but moveā€¦.

18 Likes

So move until you find the solid bubble you want to live in. No right to dictate to others.

12 Likes

Sounds like youā€™re attempting to disturb his peace. He had every right to smoke in his apartment unless his lease dictates otherwise. I suggest that you relocate to a non-smoking property or put air filters or wic candles around your house cus its not fair for him to have to change his ways for you.

2 Likes

In basic terms this post reads ā€œIā€™m a snobby f**ker who canā€™t stand people enjoying their lives and doing their own thing, people shouldnā€™t smoke because I say they canā€™t and Iā€™m also not going to move because I belong here more than the person below because Iā€™m better than them. I want them kicking out for disturbing the peace even though all theyā€™re doing is smoking a cigar in their apartment, Iā€™m not going to buy an air purifier because I own the air and what I say goesā€ feck off n move out, might be worth pulling that stick out your arse whilst youā€™re at it too

4 Likes

Call your local housing authority to find out about indoor smoking laws. Itā€™s illegal in my state so not only could the individual get in trouble the management company/landlord could get in trouble too. As a former smoker that is disgusting and dangerous.

2 Likes

As annoying as it is, isnā€™t it his right to be able to smoke at his own unit? Where else is he supposed to smoke? I think if its bothering you that much and the landlord cant/wonā€™t do anything about it than perhaps you should move

1 Like

if i were your neighbour Iā€™d smoke even more just because yā€™all had the audacity to bother me and try to police what I do in my own home and outside.

you should move and leave that man alone.

Put an air filter in your apartment. I used to use one. It worked pretty good. I used that and candles when I could. Just try it.

Our best investment was our air purifier!
Costly but lasts 20 yrs plus and connects with your phone to check on air when youā€™re not there!

Everyone saying ā€œyou should moveā€ are ignorant asl. Obviously thatā€™s what you should do but sometimes people canā€™t just move just like that. I have no advice besides maybe filing disturbing the peace but idk how that would go for you or your state. Iā€™m currently living with someone who smokes and we have asked them to stop by sheā€™s so offended. I keep me and my kids downstairs and i canā€™t move due to financial issues. Plus Iā€™m due in two weeks. So i feel for you.

2 Likes

So is he smoking outside or inside??? You said both lol. If heā€™s smoking outside I literally donā€™t understand the problem theres nothing you can do about that

What if he turns around and says, ā€œyou asking me not to smoke my cigars is disturbing my peaceā€ :man_shrugging:

1 Like

You could move if it bothers yā€™all that bad. He pays his rent just like you do and has a right to enjoy his property.

take pictures of him sleeping well smoking. heā€™s clearly a danger to everybody.

Get a high powered fan and incense sticks. Thank me later.

Buy a home of your own!

4 Likes

Purchase an electric air purifer from amazon
It will clean your air and get rud of the smell

1 Like

Moveā€¦ then take it to judge judyā€¦

Ask for a different apartment

I live in an apartment and want to dictate what my neighbor can or Cannot do. Gtfoh move in to your own house.

1 Like

Use ozium spray or move.

The part about burning the whole place down is legitimate. Donā€™t give a fuck what country you live in you ainā€™t free to do reckless dangerous shit. Especially since Neither of them technically own any of the building or land they donā€™t have most of these rights you people are bitching about. Itā€™s all in fine print.

Stay and inhale 2nd hand smoke. See what it gets you.

A hazard heath n safety n those that thought this was humorous are morons

Fucking move you fucking panzy

1 Like

Mind your Business :100:

1 Like

Purchase a Respiraide air purifier! I put it near where the smell comes in or just in the room Iā€™m in. It really takes the odour away quickly. Well worth the investment. I love mine for this exact reason!

2d hand smoke causes lung cancer!

You have to move. Simple.

Adham Ibrahim this story reminded me about u and ur Karen upstairs neighbor :woman_facepalming:t4::joy:

1 Like

Move. Problem solved.

BURN HIS HOUSE !! :laughing::rofl: plsā€¦:pray: Hahahaa

Shut the fuck up and deal with it.

water hosed them down!

Thereā€™s nothing you can do but move!

If heā€™s outside not ur issue

Call the fire dept for advice

1 Like

Call the cops or bylaw

8 Likes

All you can do is move.

5 Likes

Sorry but this is the life you chose in living in an apartment. If you donā€™t like it I would recommend moving to a non-smoking apartment.
We had a woman that lives under me that complained when I vacuumed or walked. It was to loud for her(she lived under us). ā€¦ umm itā€™s an apartment you are gonna hear your neighbors. It was low income and cheaply made as well. People need to understand an apartment is not gonna afford you the privacy or ability to control your environment like owning land or your own home.
You just have to deal!
My husband and I moved many times behind some back like this but honestly we expected so that is why we saved, bought land, and eventually built a home. Pure peace
Sorry but good luck.

Move ?
Honestly what your neighbour does in the privacy of his own home is his business.
Your ā€¦dont disturb your neighbours peaceā€¦paragraph is in regards to noisy music not cigar smoking ā€¦smh.

5 Likes

Move then. You have no right to tell somebody else what to do in their own home as long as ots not breaking any rules of the apartment lease.

7 Likes

I donā€™t even have to read the paragraph. Move. You do not have the right to infringe on anotherā€™s rights no matter how gross.

13 Likes

Close your windows and doors and shut up. That disturb rule means being too loud not Karenā€™s complaining about smoke. Heā€™s not smoking inside your place.

Hate that rotten smell. My former boss smoked cigars yuk

1 Like

You are the one with the problem, it is up to you to move. File a written complaint with the management. Let them know if something is not done in 60 days you will move. Then move. Or you could buy him a better quality cigar.

3 Likes

Ask to get moved a different apartment.

Umā€¦ Iā€™d move. Heā€™s not done anything against his lease. Thatā€™s like asking someone not to walk around their house naked. Get real. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

7 Likes

This happened to me and I got ahold of the corporate office.

1 Like

Give your head a wobble Karen if he wants to smoke in his own home then he is entitled to

6 Likes

I see evey comment coming from the downstairs neighbors pov. If you have never been affected by a chemical that literally makes it hard for you to breathe, then you will have no sympathy for how this family feels. What about their right to be able to just breathe normally in their own home that they are paying to stay in? What about their right to not be made sick by chemicals being directed into their space that they paid for? What about their right to be unmolested by horrible smells that could be prevented by common courtesy?

18 Likes

Get air purifiers or moveā€¦

1 Like

So the man is smoking inside of the apartment that he pays foršŸ¤”I bet youā€™re the type of neighbor to call the police if your neighborā€™s barbecue smoke was coming into your yard

10 Likes

Move he pays just as much as you do to live there. Itā€™s not like what he is doing is illegal

4 Likes

Move.
And find an apartment that allows no smoking inside.

Is it weed in the cigars? How is he falling asleep :woozy_face:

1 Like

I absolutely feel for you. Because that REEKS. Was in an apartment when I was pregnant and a similar situation, I had the worst vomiting through the entire 9 months induced by it tooā€¦ youā€™re gonna, most likely, have to move. Heā€™s not gonna stop. Landlord isnā€™t helping.

1 Like

If itā€™s not a violation of his lease, thereā€™s nothing you can do. There are places where smoking inside is prohibited, find a place like that.

Find a house to rent. You donā€™t get to control what anybody does in that apartment complex so stop trying and move to a real home.

3 Likes

It sounds like you need to find a place to move. You literally have no say over what someone else does in the home they pay for. This is a you problem, not a him problem.

3 Likes

Move. Only the landlord can do something, and if he wonā€™t you donā€™t have much choice

2 Likes

I was in apartment management for a while. It all boils down to whatā€™s in the lease. If smoking indoors (or less commonly, outdoors) is prohibited, you have a case to take to management. If it is not prohibited, youā€™re really out of luck. If he is breaking the rules set forth in the lease, I have 2 words for you: Fair Housing. Mention these 2 words to management and explain how you feel like you are getting treated differently because you are required to follow rules and this other tenant is not. If this doesnā€™t get them to take action, file a fair housing complaint. Most apartment communities will avoid a fair housing complaint at all costs. Hope this helps. I do need to reiterate thoughā€¦ if smoking indoors/outdoors is NOT prohibited, you donā€™t have a leg to stand on.

7 Likes

Suggest giving him a fan to put in the window facing out side to draw the smoke outside whenever he do smoke. He can leave it on 24/7 and it will draw the smoke outside instead of lingering inside.

1 Like

Im over trying to figure out how cigar smoke fills your entire apartment from downstairs? I meam is he blowing it into the vents? My dad smokes cigars and the smell lasts about a half hour and if i dont like, which i dont, i go to kitchenā€¦the other roomā€¦across the living roomā€¦

5 Likes

Yeah your gonna have to move. We have a neighbor that does the same. You can smell it down the hall. Cant do anything unless the lease specifically says no smoking.

4 Likes

Move, find a house or rent a different apartment

2 Likes

Donā€™t worry with someone elseā€™s life. Set out some little bowls of vinegar to collect the smell. Maybe look for a new residence thatā€™s not an apartment so you donā€™t have to deal with the choices of others.

4 Likes

Some of yallā€¦jeebus do better.

I would suggest u move cuz heā€™s not gonna stop.

1 Like

Iā€™d move. In my lease it says no smoking. And landlord has no smoking signs in hallways. And he smokes cigarettes. Goes outside cold or hot. So do I ā€¦ bad habit. But I refuse to smoke around my kids. They donā€™t deserve to have to smell smoke. I go out on my back porch outside. Idk how people smoke inside to be honest, even as a smoker that nasty stale smell gets to me.

2 Likes

Ask if they have another apartment available that you could switch to for the remainder of your lease.

6 Likes

Call into local licensing and report it if itā€™s in the lease

1 Like

Sounds like you might need to move if no one is doing anything about it and it bothers you that much! He also has the right to do what he wants! I hope things resolves itself!

2 Likes

Thatā€™s apartment life for ya.

4 Likes

i would start looking for a new place to live

1 Like

Move. And since itā€™s technically in the lease, you should have grounds to break your lease.

1 Like

Iā€™m confused is he smoking inside or outside?? If heā€™s smoking inside something definitely needs to be done about it. But sounds like heā€™s doing it outside which may be gross but heā€™s literally outside and not much you can do besides move :woman_shrugging:t2: I smoke myself but always outside and can never smell it inside my house so sounds to me as if you have a window or windows open because youā€™re saying itā€™s either to hot or cold. Keep all your windows closed and it will guaranteed cut the smell. Also they make air purifiers for your home i would suggest looking into getting one they really are great. Honestly your not going to get the results you want because heā€™s outside so youā€™ll either have to move or find some solutions to this problem. I am guessing itā€™s outside because you said your husband can see him etc.

See if they can put you in a different unit, or maybe look into some air filtration systems if thatā€™s not possible. Aside from that your only option is probably to move. If smoking is allowed in the complex then the other resident is acting within his own rights. You canā€™t control what your neighbors do in their own home.

2 Likes

Sadly there is not much you can do since he lives there too and cigars are legal. My only suggestion is to save for a down payment on a house and you wonā€™t have to deal with the things you have to put up with in an apartment.

2 Likes

Move to somewhere with no neighbors. I would never be able to live long term next to or on top of someone else. We have a house far back in the woods, private and remote!

3 Likes

Lol stop bitching and move then :woman_shrugging:t2:

I lived above a family that cooked very STRANGE things, Iā€™ll leave it at that, you wanna talk a STENCH! It was beyond disgusting! And this was every single day, how could I complain tho? Thatā€™s the chance you take when you rent an apt and have very close neighbors. I think youā€™re at a loss here unless you signed a no smoking in the apt lease your just gonna have to move

2 Likes