What to do about my cigar smoking neighbor?

I went through the same thing, best and basically only thing you can do is move! Old lady above me had been smoking in her apartment for years! I had yellow slime dripping down my walls. Apartment landlords knew all about it. Nothing was ever done!

Move. Itā€™s an apartment complex you canā€™t control the environment around you lmao. He pays rent just like you do.

3 Likes

Going through the same thing now. Iā€™m about ready to move.

Sounds like you need to move to a house.

1 Like

Honestly I would be really bothered. Iā€™m a non smoker and if my home always smelled like smoke bc of my.neighbor I would be really frustrated

1 Like

Well while he is paying rent he can do whatever. If in the lease it says he can so I would read your lease and see what it says about smoking

1 Like

Why I refuse to live in apartments. šŸ¤·

2 Likes

Lmfao you sound like a complete control freak

10 Likes

Not your body. He is not in your home. Deal with it or move. You must be very entitled to think you can tell your neighbor how to live. Shut up and move

I would move. If your landlord wonā€™t do anything about it then basically you have no choice but to move or deal with it.

3 Likes

Move. He can smoke in his house. He pays his rent.

3 Likes

Move? You donā€™t own the house, so you really canā€™t dictate what he does I suppose. Maybe he smokes to forget about the constant drumming of footsteps from above.

5 Likes

People are saying move, but why should she have too? She shouldnā€™t. He should follow the LEASE, or I donā€™t know common respect. Usually you are not allowed to smoke in apartments anyways. And years ago when my ex smoked, we had both upstairs and downstairs and our neighbors didnā€™t complain about it, but we used an air filter. Maybe suggest that to him? I donā€™t know.

4 Likes

Not much else you can do. :woman_shrugging: except move.

That smell is aweful, i feel for youā€¦ i would do whatever it takes to find a different place to live. Your apt manager isnt being proactive so you really have no other choice. Either deal or move. People can be so inconsiderate.

2 Likes

Get over it, he pays his rent not you

8 Likes

If the lease doesnā€™t say no smoking I donā€™t know what you could really do besides move

5 Likes

Move. Part of living in apartments is dealing with neighbors. If you donā€™t like it move and find somewhere that isnt a shared complex. If there isnt anything in the lease about smoking inside there is nothing you can do about it except put up with it or move.

2 Likes

call the cops !!!

9 Likes

if itā€™s in the lease and itā€™s distressing you and no one is doing anything, use the protective services that half ass work in this country to protect you !!! 911 helps good with stuff like this !!!

your donā€™t have to move cuz your neighbor is an inconsiderate dick. ignore that comments.

Just move. Not rocket science :roll_eyes:

Unfortunately, thatā€™s apartment living for you. You should consider moving.

2 Likes

Move to a building that states no smoking in their buildings. Iā€™m not really sure that smoking is disturbing your peace. I would talk to a lawyer on that one. But you know heā€™s not going to stop. This is what comes with apartment living.

2 Likes

wooooooow I love how all of yā€™all are talking like anyone has money to just up and leave. people canā€™t even afford to go to the fucking hospital, are yā€™all serious?

Move and itā€™s probably a blunt! :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Write a letter to apartment manager, being on paper gives you proof youā€™ve notified him of the situation and something to go on legally if something does happen. They tend to take notice. Keep sending them too.

Unfortunately you cane MAKE him nor ask him to stop. U may just need to find another place, or ask to be moved to a lower level.

1 Like

Ask to move apartments hes not gonna stop

Buy him those smoke removing candles and get yourself an air purifier for the home until either parties move out. You can ask to be moved into another unit as well.

2 Likes

Let your management know itā€™s a danger to you and your kids health not to mention he may burn yā€™all down. Advise them that your home now smells of smoke so you know your kids are inhaling it. If they are not going to do anything they need to move yā€™all to another apartment If they canā€™t do that they need to give you the money to move out. Iā€™m sure there is some kind of regency management over them. Ask for the phone number and threaten to call

2 Likes

Donā€™t live in an apartment. Thatā€™s what you will deal with living in one.

2 Likes

Move. Thatā€™s part of living in an apartment.

2 Likes

You need to move there is nothing management can do for you if there is nothing written about no smoking . You cant tell someone to stop smoking because you and your family dont like it or are allergic to it . That is what happens when you move into apartments

1 Like

Move because you are the only one you can control.

Contact the complex company office. If the manager isnā€™t doing their job go to their boss. Iā€™m sure youā€™re not the only neighbor being bothered by this guy.

1 Like

Fart spray or water your plantsā€‹:grimacing::crazy_face:

2 Likes

Move. Clearly they donā€™t actually care. :woman_shrugging:t2:

Often, a mortgage payment is cheaper than rent. In a house, you wouldnā€™t have to worry about neighbors close enough to bother you.

1 Like

I would just have to pack up and move!!

Odoban works great for removing odors, & itā€™s a disinfectant too

1 Like

Fart smelling spray under his door

1 Like

If you canā€™t handle neighbors you need to go get a single home. That man pays his rent and has the right to do as he pleases in his home that he pays the rent to just like you do.

13 Likes

If the lease doesnā€™t specify ā€˜no smokingā€™ I donā€™t think thereā€™s much you can do.

2 Likes

I would be moving if I were you

Make sure all your fire equipment works and buy a couple wax warmers. Hopefully this guy doesnā€™t burn anything down

1 Like

With apartments you have either Great/alright neighbors or awful neighbors. Your best choice is to try to just move or maybe even ask to have your apartment switched if there is one available

4 Likes

Move plain and simple

3 Likes

Move into a complex with independent systems for each unit or get a house. No one will alter their lifestyle because of you and your family unless they want to. Especially for an addiction I donā€™t know much about cigars but sounds like heā€™s been at it awhile chances are there is nothing you can do about it but request to move units or buildings

4 Likes

Move somewhere that dont allow smoking

1 Like

Move. Lease has been broken. Not obligated to stay

2 Likes

Everyone throwing out ā€œmoveā€ or ā€œbuy a houseā€ are so unhelpful. If you cannot get out of your lease and are otherwise stuck for the time being thatā€™s a bit of a toughie. If your lease states no smoking he can get in trouble however that doesnā€™t seem to be the case. My mil and step fil smoke up a storm with cigarettes but her house always smells wonderful because she uses a lot of wall flowers and wax burners. Maybe try those to overpower the smell of cigars, and I would be sanitizing surfaces often. You could always start being a passive aggressive neighbor while you wait out your lease and annoy him in return in ways that wonā€™t break your lease or cause a fine. Smelly prank sprays might help :ok_hand:

5 Likes

Try a good air purifier. They work really well for that. Research first though. Get one that has a carbon activated filter. Good luck

3 Likes

Yuck. Break lease and tell the apt you arenā€™t paying the fees to break. This is a health issue. If you donā€™t smoke you shouldnā€™t have to live like that. He could easily go outside.

2 Likes

Mention it and how itā€™s affecting u, he may be unaware x

1 Like

But his cigars are disturbing Your rightsā€¦

1 Like

If you can, move. Youā€™ll save yourself headaches (literally lol) but I understand itā€™s not always feasible to move at a momentā€™s notice. You could advise the landlord youā€™ll be paying your rent in escrow (through the courts) until he rectified the situation. This ensures you pay the rent, but he doesnā€™t have access to it until he fixes the issues. He could install separate HVAC systems, air purifiers, insulation etc to prevent the smoke from creeping up.
However. The fire issue is still a problem and I donā€™t have advice on that unfortunately. The landlord canā€™t stop him from smoking in there (unless it was already in the lease)

3 Likes

ask for another apt, & if they canā€™t, then tell them you will move since this is & could be potential health & safety problem

1 Like

Iā€™d ask for them to move u into another apartment and if they arenā€™t willing to do that then tell them your breaking the lease because itā€™s a health and safety issue

1 Like

Sounds like the place you rent from doesnā€™t really care. Iā€™d be looking into other homes asap. In the meantime, keep your complaints documented, get an air purifier, and talk to your doc about some migraine meds in the meantime. Iā€™m sorry, this sucks.

1 Like

If the lease doesnā€™t say no smoking there isnā€™t anything you can do but move. He can do what he wants in his home.

2 Likes

Sound like you need to move

Moveā€¦you are disturbing his peace and comfort.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s a part of living in a apartment. He pays his rent as well as yall. Maybe ask for a transfer to a different apartment but there will always be something that bothers you in a complex. In all honesty they probably wonā€™t do much unless the lease specifically says no smoking in the apartment. It could be said that your disturbing his peace. Iā€™m sure at some point heā€™s had to listen to loud kids with him being on the bottom. Either move to a home, different apartment, get some kind of smoke spray or just let it go or you will drive yourself crazy over something management doesnā€™t seem worried about. Also how do you know they are huge cigars and that he falls asleep smoking?

2 Likes

It would be best if you just moved maybe they can put you guys in another apartment so you wonā€™t have to move far.

1 Like

Move, or buy yourself some air freshener!
If thereā€™s no rule about smoking on the property you canā€™t make that men quit smoking because itā€™s bothering you!

2 Likes

Dang the audacity to smoke in your own apartment :unamused: girl get over yourself

6 Likes

Sue the landlord for going against contract so you can get your deposit back and move. Seems like thereā€™s nothing else to be done. No one else cares that youā€™re miserable.

3 Likes

Move.
Hes in his own apartment!

2 Likes

I hate smoking. But I donā€™t think his smoking is " disturbing " your peace.If the lease agreement specifically says NO SMOKING, thatā€™s different
Why not just move?

1 Like

Can you get a air purifier?

2 Likes

Move into a house. People are gonna do what they want inside their house. If you

2 Likes

Move. Nothing more to tell you. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Well all I can say is if itā€™s nit in the agreement that he canā€™t smoke in his own apartment, or outside. Heā€™s gonna. And no matter how many times you tell him to stop he doesnā€™t have too if itā€™s not in the agreement. You canā€™t control what people do on their own apartment/home. Either move or deal with it.

2 Likes

You stayed an entire year? Sounds like MOVING isnā€™t an option for you?

1 Like

If you have put up with it for a year it must not be that big of a problem cuz you would move out if it was

1 Like

Move before he sets the place on fire

1 Like

Your kids are disrupting him ā€¦. That is why he is tired you need to move so he can have some peace

10 Likes

He is damned if he does and damned if he doesnā€™t
You should like a real control freak
Be glad he is not have really NOISY HEADBOARD BANGING SEXā€¦.now explain that to your kids
And as far as him sleeping ā€¦. Sounds like he may have to file a complaint against youā€¦. Seems like YOUR KIDS are keeping him from getting a good restā€¦ he should really file a noise complaint against YOU!

Thatā€™s not a cigar heā€™s smoking. Duh.

2 Likes

Why donā€™t you start doing something equally as annoying, not fair your kids have to breathe that in

Request that your landlord make an effort to rectify the situation within the next 30-60 days. If possible, he might be able to move your family to a different unit, put special filters in the ventilation system, provide an air purifier or ozone generator, whatever. During that time you should be looking for another apartment building to move to - preferably one that expressly prohibits smoking. If your landlord is unwilling or unable to fix the issue satisfactorily, then move and request a refund of your security deposit. If he doesnā€™t return it voluntarily, itā€™s worth a shot to take him to court for it. Keep records of everything surrounding the issue - calls to the landlord, talks with the neighbor, your request to change apartments, your doctor visits, everything. Hope you are able to get some sort of resolution quickly because your familyā€™s health is of the utmost importance.

1 Like

If where you live has a rule against smoking you can complain but if they allow people to smoke in their apartments you canā€™t do much about it, people smoke and drink in this world

2 Likes

Sounds like you should move.

3 Likes

Unfortunately if its not against his rental/lease agreement. Theres nothing you can do except move away from it.

3 Likes

Maybe buy him a smoke air purifier and one for yourself also, take pictures of him if he is outside falling asleep for proof to show landlord that he does fall asleep while smoking

Move for your safety

2 Likes

Iā€™d move! and if thatā€™s breaking the lease contact an attorney . Renters do you have rights

1 Like

How do you know heā€™s falling asleep smoking?

1 Like

Call them every day and annoy them enough to do something. If that doesnā€™t help then move

Move for your safety especially if he falls asleep still smoking

Itā€™s simple its not only a health & safety issue but potentially a fire hazard/danger especially if the guy is falling asleep whilst smoking, I suggest to take pictures when heā€™s asleep with the lit cigar for evidence also to write a formal complaint to the landlord with said pictures & stating if the landlord does not rectify the potentially dangerous situation you will be left with no choice but to seek legal advise to rectify the situation

Unless itā€™s specifically stated in the lease that he canā€™t smoke in the apartment then thereā€™s absolutely nothing anyone can do about it. Him smoking outside will make it come in your windows more. You can move if it bothering you that much.

2 Likes

Move or get an air purifier

1 Like

Move you canā€™t tell somebody else what to do in their own house

Living in an apartment building, that is one of the MANY things you guys will have to deal with.
Smells, noise, everything travels so quickly throughout apartment buildings.

Check your lease and look at the rules and see what it says about smoking in units and on the property if itā€™s that much of an occurring issue for you.

1 Like

Honestly get over it or move. He lives there too.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think thereā€™s anything you can do. Even if a lease says no smoking inside, technically thatā€™s illegal because when you rent a space you rent the whole thing to do with what you want as long as it isnā€™t illegal. Smoking inside isnā€™t illegal, so there is nothing the landlord can do other than ask him to stop and maybe charge for cleaning and paint when he leaves. Iā€™m sure this isnā€™t what you want to hear, but thatā€™s the way the laws work.

Iā€™m surprised by some of the really nasty comments. But I guess maybe not. Your situation sucks. If no smoking is in the rental agreement then you have a leg to stand on. But it sounds like it isnā€™t. Attempt to manipulate your own environment Try to get plants that help clean the air. Maybe some hepa filters. Otherwise youā€™ll need to move. Look for an apartment that doesnā€™t allow smoking. Probably not a great time to move though with everything going on.

1 Like

You wonā€™t get a lot of sympathy from people, because there are a lot of self righteousness smokers, and that is a problem in itself. I had this same issue, years ago. Guys up above smoked, and made our apartment reek below. Talked to guys personally, and the issue seemed to resolve, but I talked to apartment personnel also, and basically they told me that they didnā€™t have a no smoking inside policy, and they technically could not tell them not to smoke in their own apartment, where they pay rent. You should probably just move, and if they threaten you with breaking a lease, bring up safety and health hazards associated with his blatant disregard for your family and yourself. Smoking is not the only issue. The possibility of a fire is also a major concern, which is an insurance concern for the apartment complex. You probably could actually take some type of legal action against the complex, but that usually ends up costing so much that it becomes unaffordable unless they allow for a payment plan, which most donā€™t. Plus, you would need to detail all interactions with this guy and when you speak to apartment staff. You need to document dates and times and details of the conversations. See if the complex might allow you to move to a different apartment, on the same property, perhaps. Good luck.

If heā€™s smoking outside close ur door and or windows and buy some door seals and window seals so the smell doesnā€™t creep inside through the cracks. try burning incense or candles 2 help cover up the smell because even if he is falling asleep while smoking he has every right to smoke out front of his apartment. If heā€™s smoking inside his home and u have a contract saying u canā€™t smoke in ur home report that over and over again cuz heā€™s breaking his contract then and should be evicted.