What to do about neighbors who are going through domestic violence?

I have a neighbor who lives below me who's going through what I believe is domestic violence. I've heard her screaming things like "GET OFF ME!" multiple times as well as slamming screaming and crying. Every time I hear something late at night I called the cops and tell them I'm hearing what I believe is domestic violence happening below me. I hear things happening usually during the quiet hours so I don't think that's the only time that she's going through this but it's the most common time that I can hear what's going on. Every time I hear things escalating, I call the cops but they never answer the door there was only one occasion that they answered the door and they pretended like nothing was happening I don't know if the woman acted weirdly or even tried to give the officers a warning with her eyes so I don't know if they're just fighting or if she actually is going through an abusive relationship. We don't hear things all the time it was more frequent when we first moved in and started calling the cops every time it happened, I don't know if calling the cops deterred them from being loud for a while or if they were just on good terms at the time. It seems like this woman doesn't go anywhere without the husband except one time I saw her in the park with her 2 year old son. I haven't seen the little boy that often so I didn't recognize it was him at first, then my daughter started playing with him and asked him his name, I immediately recognized him by his name and realized that this was the family that lives below me. She was extremely awkward with me and I wasn't sure if it's because I'm the one calling the cops on them all the time or its because she knows that I know what's going on. Do I keep calling the cops hoping that one day they hear or see something and are finally able to step in and help? My landlord is extremely kind and lenient so I don't believe if I reach out to her that she would kick them out, I also don't really want them to be kicked out, I just want to get the woman some help if she is dealing with domestic violence. Also I'm concerned as to what this poor little 2 year old is going through. Should I just call CPS, and hopefully if they are able to reach out to her they can help her get out of this domestic situation? I know there's a huge stigma with calling CPS and it sounds like I want the child removed from the home but that is not the case, CPS does want to help families keep their children so I feel like if I do call and they realize she's in a domestic situation they would help her get out and help her find resources to be on her own with her child. This puts a lot of stress on me when I can hear what's going on, I'm pregnant and only a month and a half away from having my baby and I just really don't want to deal with this anymore. Also I'm really concerned as to whether or not this mother is going through domestic violence. When I saw her in the park and our kids were playing together I couldn't speak up and say anything because she was right next to her son the entire time and my daughter as well who is old enough to understand what I'm saying. If somehow this mother is reading this please reach out to me in any way you can leave a note by my door, something and I will do my best to help you find recourses and get out of there.
203 Likes

Yes, call cps and continue to call when you hear the violence. You arenā€™t responsible for the outcome.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. What to do about neighbors who are going through domestic violence? - Mamas Uncut

The best you can do is keep calling when you hear it going on. Eventually cops will know something is up if they have to keep showing up.

3 Likes

I work for a DV agency and I can say yes if you have heard that multiple times and police canā€™t interfere without a complaint from the victim, I would call CPS. Tell them exactly what you said that they donā€™t answer the door when police arrive and that you have heard abuse in the home. Sadly, Iā€™m sure she is isolated and hasnā€™t told anyone what is going on. She may lie to CPS but at least there will be an investigation and they will be aware.

9 Likes

Reach out to her and see if you can schedule a play date with the kids again. Let her know that your child really enjoyed it and youā€™d like to get them together again before your baby comes. Hopefully she agrees. Earn her trust and let her know that you hear what is happening and that you are there for her and her child. Let her know that she is not alone!

34 Likes

Did you hear about that lady who lost her daughter to cps and they gave her back dead? Yeah donā€™t be that person. Maybe reach out to her, leave her a note or something but donā€™t for the love of god call Cps

12 Likes

Call CPSā€¦record her cries before u call the police for evidence! My husband heard crying thru a vent and called policeā€¦the guy said noone was in there but himā€¦they leftā€¦my husband made sure the cops went back to check n sure enough she was beat within inches of her lifeā€¦and he had a gun! She thanked my husband on the way to the ambulance and died days later!

27 Likes

Sadly from experience sheā€™s not going to get out until sheā€™s at her limit , some people donā€™t want to discuss what goes on behind closed doors , pray for her alot .

5 Likes

If she ever out side see if you can talk to her just say hi . But keep calling your doing the right thing . :100:

c p s will take the child and she wonā€™t get him back any excuse they will take a child different if heā€™s hitting the child then I would

2 Likes

Next time you see her in the park just calmly but not weirdly (dont draw attention) tell her you have heard the sounds of ā€œfightingā€. Let her know that if she ever needs anything to just come to you or give you a signal and you will call the police or something. Let her know she is not alone. As someone who has been in an abusive relationship, you feel alone. You are terrified to talk to anyone about what is happening cuz you never know who will go tell your spouse.
Let her know you want to help. Let her know that she is not alone. She may not take the help right away but she will always know that you are the one who is willing when she is ready. It takes time to build that courage to ask for help.

9 Likes

Mind your business and get you a life of your own!!

25 Likes

Definitely call them

2 Likes

Cps is terrible. They will probably blame her for allowing her child to be in that environment and take the kid, not help her.

18 Likes

I would never think to call the cops on my neighbors simply because I hear them having a verbal altercation and slamming doors :eyes::scream:

7 Likes

I would keep calling the policeā€¦ if you can become a person she can vent toā€¦ it take a long time for a domestic violence victim to get the courage to leave and never go back. If there is one in the areaā€¦her and her child can go to a womenā€™s shelter if the facility has an opening. If they donā€™t have an opening, at the time, they will take her # and reach out to her when they do.

Just because sheā€™s the one screaming how do you heā€™s not defending himself! You canā€™t see through walls and donā€™t always assume itā€™s him beating her :eyes:

4 Likes

By all mean if you feel calls the police (cops) I would but keep it at that because you actually donā€™t know

1 Like

Keep calling. I believe they come a certain amount of times before they investigate. I was in high school when we moved below a family. We would hear a crash then a dragging noise. It was terrifying. At first we thought it might be furniture until we heard screaming. We called Immediately. The next morning going to school the lady came out and saw my mom and thanked her Immediately. She confessed her husband had beat her and was dragging her down the hall when the police showed. They arrested him. I always prayed for her. She seemed to have made her mind up to leave him. I hope you keep calling. Write down every time. Ask them what does it take for something to be done. How can you help. God bless.

1 Like

I would honestly continue calling the police. I have had to call the police on my next door neighbors before because of a domestic violence situation. It was hard but still did it for the safety of the woman. If I hadnā€™t called and something wouldā€™ve happened to her that night, I wouldā€™ve felt that it was all my fault + I would have carried that with me forever. It normally takes a while for someone in an abusive relationship to leave. I would mention something to her if/when you see her again in the park without him around. I would stress to her that you are worried about her safety and the safety of her toddler. I would make sure she knows she can trust you and you arenā€™t going to run back to her spouse to tell him what all she said.

1 Like

She might feel very trapped. Letting her know, you hear herā€¦ that your worried and that you want to help. Might help.

My last resort would be during a fight either start stomping or something to get their attention. Leave them both a note and let them know you wonā€™t tolerate it anymore, that your scared for your children and theirs.

1 Like

DV survivor. Victim services told me to try to get some type of proof if you can like video, photos, voice recordings. Also itā€™s ok to keep calling police. And if you think that baby is being abused call cps. Sometimes you get so stuck in the situation that you stop advocating for yourself and just take it and you need help to get out of it.

Thank you for calling the police. I am a DV survivor. When I escaped and was able to go to court for my divorce and custody of my children, one of the things that helped me was the statements from my apartment. Although I was mad at the time that my neighbors complained, I appreciate them so much now! I know they had my best interest at heart. Youā€™re doing the right thing!

18 Likes

Record them if you can

3 Likes

Keep calling. The cycle of domestic violence is horrific and maybe she is currently afraid to get away but eventually maybe she will.

3 Likes

This exact situation happened to my neighbors and the neighbor above just kept calling the police and finally the police contacted cps and they took the children unfortunately they are still fighting and doing the same thing didnā€™t even care they got their kids taken

2 Likes

Call call call call. Youā€™re doing the right thing. I survived an abusive relationship and it took years of cops coming and doing nothing.

1 Like

I had to call the police on neighbours that were in this situation and they turned on me after I reported themā€¦and itā€™s been hell ever since

2 Likes

Why donā€™t you talk to her

Keep calling. I wish when I was going through my abuse, that someone called.

Unfortunately she will not leave until sheā€™s ready to leave, the most dangerous time in a victimā€™s life is when she leaves so keep that in mind as well.

4 Likes

I went thru years of hell from my ex husband and itā€™s really a messy situation. Itā€™s a double edge sword really, if you call it will most likely get taken out on her if ya donā€™t who knows what could happen and idt she would admit to you if anything was going on cause itā€™s so embarrassing and you learn to lie to everyone about it. But please donā€™t call cps unless you know heā€™s harming the child. Just befriend her and maybe she will let you know something donā€™t say oh I hear just say hey my name is so and so and if you ever need anything anything at all please let me know I will help in any way possible and leave it at that. Now if he sounds like heā€™s killing her by all means call. You donā€™t know if the husband will come after you. Like I said itā€™s a hard thing

3 Likes

Keep calling the police if you hear anything. Also call a domestic violence hotline and get some advice. Remember to keep yourself protected too

4 Likes

Id thank you if you were my neighbour. I remember one silent night my partner and i got into a physical fight i managed to fight him off grab my phone and run and lock myself in the next room by time the phone turned on he had already broken in he thentook the phone and broke it. Again i found myself fighting him off to stop strangling me he gave me one swift kick to my leg then stopped iran for the front door trying to find a top from my bags that he threw out the bedroom window before running off. He gave chase i stopped. I didnt scream for help, i yelled for him to stop as he kicked my legs and dragged me back. I think about how hopeless i felt and how a street of neighbors whose lights were on didnt hear a single cry. I needed help, and help didnt come. I say keep calling!

12 Likes

Unless she presses charges theyll walk away.

Iā€™ve been there with my upstairs neighbor. All you can do is call call and call. Pray she says something because most police stations canā€™t do anything if they deny it. If that doesnā€™t work maybe try to be friends and show her she deserves better. ONLY if that is a safe option tho.

Itā€™s very nice to have someone even if she doesnā€™t c it right now to have her back. Keep doing what u doing xx

3 Likes

Record it and keep calling the cops maybe go down one day when heā€™s not there but donā€™t give your address

2 Likes

Donā€™t give up! She and the children need you. You may be their only hope. Keep calling.

7 Likes

When I was being abused and we would argue, I wished someone would have called the cops cause everytime I got away to call the cops my ex would already be gone and they wouldnā€™t be able to find him.

7 Likes

My advice is donā€™t call CPS until you know for a fact. I was in foster care for 4yrs and itā€™s not a pretty place to be. Half of the case workers donā€™t give a shit about you or the families they put you with. Itā€™s not something to mess around with.

Keep calling and definetly call CPS, the child is in harmā€™s way

Unfortunately nothing will deter a violent person. Maybe slow it down some. Keep calling. At least there will be a paper trail in case anything bad happens. :cry:

7 Likes

You need to find a way to reach out to the woman ad see if she wants help. If she does she will be willing to go to a shelter. But if she doesnā€™t want out anything you do will be pointless.

1 Like

I was this woman in an abusive relationship needing help. Stop calling the cops. He probably threatening her with more violence or taking away ā€œprivelegesā€;if she causes you to call. Instead become a friend. Invite her to the park for play dates. Get to know her. Donā€™t just ask her. Hopefully she will open up to you. Unless you see bruises on the kid donā€™t call CPS. Hes probably manipulative & can turn them against her rather easily. The child could end up stuck with him. Iā€™ve seen the abuser get custody of the child.

10 Likes

Donā€™t call CPS. Thatā€™s one of the main reasons I did not leave my abuser. Thatā€™s what everyone threatened me with and my kids were not abused. I had no money and no job because I was isolated from everything. Let her know youā€™re there for her. Donā€™t get her child taken away.

7 Likes

Please call the cops

Keep calling. Always keep calling. Unfortunately the police canā€™t do anything without evidence and if she is refusing to speak up against him or if the police donā€™t see visible markings, thereā€™s nothing they can do. I was in a very abusive relationship with my sons dad and the neighbors called the cops when I was still pregnant. I couldnā€™t say anything because he was at the window listening, even though they spoke to us seperately, I could see the curtain moving. I knew if I told I had no place to go, he wouldnā€™t let me work so I had no money, and my unborn son wouldnā€™t have a dad. The neighbor never called again and my sons dad would trap me in the bedroom and take my phone so I couldnā€™t call and hit me, push me, and assault me. I prayed and prayed they would call again. Itā€™s not as easy as just telling the police and leaving. But hopefully one day she will do just that.

2 Likes

What about calling and demanding a wellness check of the mother and child. Iā€™m not 100% sure, but I believe if itā€™s a wellness check that they need to make contact with the person. They also state thatā€™s the reason theyā€™re at the door. It could give them more leverage for demanding the door to be opened. When you call maybe tell them that they NEED to pull her aside, give her clues on how to escape etc. As for you, carry a gun. Iā€™m sorry but any man who beats his wife is extremely capable of turning on the woman trying to hold him accountable for his actions and remove the victim from his grasp. As for the mom, please record as much as you can for her because if she does go sheā€™ll be terrified to have 50/50 custody (so many stay because the man details what he will do to the child of she leaves himā€¦ Iā€™ll turn the kid against you, Iā€™ll have to him all to myself, Iā€™ll tell the courts youā€™re crazy and get full custody etcā€¦ Iā€™ve heard it all). As for the landlord I would have a firm heart to heart with her and let her know that she allowing a woman and child to be trapped in abuse and sheā€™s been made aware and is doing nothing to save them.

4 Likes

Yeah calling the cops will not help. Nosey people like you get women killed!!

16 Likes

Any chance you can record whats happening? Your phone would maybe pick the disturbance up. Then take the recording to the police station so they can hear for themselves .
If sheā€™s not out alone its hard to befriend her but maybe just nod or say hi to them all in the passing.
If she feels youā€™re a friend she may reach out to you eventually
Its hard to listen to stuff like this and you canā€™t put yourself in danger especially with you being pregnant .
Thank you for being the neighbour I wish I had next door

4 Likes

Call CPS. They will help her for sure and get something done. You shouldā€™ve been called them since there is an innocent baby involved.

1 Like

As someone who was a kid living through domestic violence hell, please call. No one ever did for us and because of that, my mom and I suffered greatly. Because of that, we make it a point to bug law enforcement/cps when we hear something like dv happen. Sheā€™s currently being subpoenaed for a case thatā€™s happening right across the hall from her. Weā€™ve extended our aide for anyone weā€™ve come across going through that, so offering support helps as well.

10 Likes

Record it. Keep a diary as well with times and dates. Call every time.

4 Likes

These days of phone r e cording, record what you hear for a few days. Go to the police and let them hear what you hear. If a problem, now there is proof to act on. Do not be silent.

If youā€™re worried. In England we can get welfare checks done . Maybe explain to police about the real concerns so they can try to help when he isnā€™t there . Sometimes calling child support makes the mother choose child or man sadly

Try to become friends with her so she has someone she can trust and maybe talk to about everything. If she doesnā€™t have that now then calling the cops every time wonā€™t help. She needs someone!

2 Likes

File a complaint with the manager. Nothing will change. You cannot make her protect herself or her child.

Please stop calling. I know you have nothing but the best of intentions but, it could be making things worse for her. Try befriending her, and getting help to her that way. Leave a note for her to call you (no reason, in case he reads it). And do not not not call CPS. That will make things infinitely worse, and she does not deserve to have her child taken. Do keep trying, but try to help her quietly. I know that sounds counterproductive but he could be hurting her more due to the cops repeatedly coming.

9 Likes

Cps will try to help her.

4 Likes

Donā€™t call CPSā€¦theyā€™ll take the kid but she wonā€™t get help from themā€¦just give her endless hoops to jump through and may never get her kid back

10 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. What to do about neighbors who are going through domestic violence? - Mamas Uncut

I would take some baked goods down here and there, and there to try to build trust with her. These situations are tricky. I had a family member who was in one. Her husband was physically and mentally abusive. Despite police getting involved because the beatings were so bad. and having resources, she would never leave. She was finally forced to when he didnā€™t want her anymore and sheā€™d still go back to this day.

Are you hearing things breaking, crashing, do you see marks on her? Or is it really heated arguments?

3 Likes

If you have a chapter of Catholic Charities or similar you can call them and ask if there is a family services office you can speak with. They are like a step before calling CPS. They can do a wellness check and talk to them w/o threat of taking the kids. They can find them counseling or other resources they may need to steer them away from the need for CPS. Thatā€™s what Iā€™d do.

2 Likes

I think you should pray for them record all the noise and have someone look into it You did not say anything about the man

2 Likes

Iā€™d mind my businessā€¦uve done enough and tried to send help. She donā€™t want it. Ur gonna make it worse before better. Why would u put urself and children in that situation?

12 Likes

I would call facs explain it all to them whatā€™s been happening if possible record them if you can

3 Likes

Lord have mercy, thatā€™s sad the police wonā€™t get into domestic violence very much they are scared of what ever is going on will make it worse an it usually does if the man is beaten on the woman an kis an he spends his time in jail he gets back to his house and the woman an kid or kids get beat on worse so thatā€™s why so many women donā€™t get out of the domestic violence marriage that soon she scared to death of dying and he will eventually hurt her if not worse kill her but if sheā€™s fortunate someone will come along like you and help her but if SSI or whoever it is comes along they will take the baby out of the house and she may never see it again and then that will make the man pissed off and he will be the woman even more and she will end up dead

domestic abuse is hard to combat. police nor courts really do much for them. just keep trying. if there are multiple things being siad lous enough that steer towards abuse more than just words call cps. they will do more than the cops. people that are getting abused wont admit it

1 Like

Be careful with this lady help her if you can be channel and just be her friend

Just keep calling the police whenever you hear a disturbance. Befriend the woman, ask if her and her child can go over to your house for play dates, like someone said earlier take them baked goods every now and then if you can to gain the womanā€™s trust. Do not call cps unless you see bruises etc on the child. If cps were to do a wellness check it can put the mother into a very bad situation with her abuser once cps leaves the residence. Record what you hear, it can help the mother in court if she ever chooses to leave. In most states it is not illegal to have voice recordings of conversations and it can be used in court.

2 Likes

2 Likes

I would write a note and put it in her mailbox or under their door, saying my Daughter would like to know, if she could please have a play date with your son? If that is okay, please call me to organise and write your phone number on the note and see if the Mum contacts you. If she has your number and she needs something she will contact you.

68 Likes

Someone who was my soul sister struggled with her abusive husband for 45 years. I watched the last 30 years. July 31st he murdered her because she finally found the courage to leave him. Get her out. Period. PLEASE

52 Likes

Keep calling and maybe try to see if you can get any of it on recording? To show to the cops? That way theyā€™ll investigate them without the neighbors pretending everything is fine and the cops just leaving it at that! :sparkles: definitely try to become close with her or start communication slowly to get her to be opened to you so that you can make it aware you want to help her and her son!

14 Likes

Keep a close eye on the situation, let her know you are there if she wants to talk but do get to know her. But do not call cps. Report to the police as many times as you hear them. But if it Is d/v then he may crafty. Iā€™m out of a d/v relationship and my neighbours turned a blind eye, but my friends didnā€™t. My neighbours I have recently had to call the police on as I heard her scream ā€œget off meā€ and it had been going on a hour and a half at 1.30am and other neighbours have reported hearing them threatening to stab each other

This is classic example of how domestic violence continuesā€¦ police donā€™t separate the couples when they are called out and Iā€™m shocked that this was proven that this would help the victimsā€¦hence they are too scared to say anything or they will cop it again

1 Like

Definitely continue to call the cops. Call CPS too. I would let your landlord know about the situation but let them know youā€™re coming from a place of concern. Maybe they can offer services to her discreetly. Youā€™re doing the right thing by speaking up.

10 Likes

Try recommending that she looks into the freedom programme, it provides support to exit situations like this. It also provides information to recognise other abusers and educates on what a healthier relationship is without being condescending, as many people who have escaped abuse end up in similar relationships again as they donā€™t know any different. Sadly calling the police or childrens services immediately may make the situation worse. Xx

8 Likes

I wish like hell someone would have called when I was getting the hell beat out of me all the time. The few times I was able to make the call he met the cops n made excuses & smoothed things over so they left. It took a knife to my throat at 3am n me running down the street bloody, beaten n bruised for anything to happen. I didnā€™t allow it, as some have called it in these comments, I was a prisoner n couldnā€™t escape. So please keep calling, praying cops arrive at right time n can do something.

21 Likes

I would try and invite her son to a play date with your daughter. There you should be able to build a friendship/ relationship a be able to gain her trust.

9 Likes

Thank you for caring . I was in a violent relationship once and I lived in an apartment and Iā€™m sure people heard my screams and cryā€™s but no one ever tried to help or call the cops and I was positive he was gonna murder me one day out of rage .
I finally got away on my own but it took longer than Iā€™d like and I was terrified and traumatized when I finally left . My daughter was getting old enough to realize what was going on and I couldnā€™t put her through growing up watching all the pain I was always in . Please never stop trying to help her because she might realize she needs to get away when its already to late and he goes to far . I hope you can get her number . Maybe even do the whole ā€œIā€™m your neighbour do you have sugar or eggs I can borrow ā€œ line just to get her to open the door

Can you slide her a note with your phone number when youā€™re alone?

1 Like

See something say something. A laundry list of complaints from neighbors is evidence against abusers is huge when it comes to legal action. You never know when that abuse turns into a serious violent moment. Start recording what you see when you see it and present it to officers when they arrive. Take photos of anything you think could be damning. Thatā€™s not to say you should go digging through their trash or invade their privacy (those are crimes themselves). Making it difficult for him to feel like heā€™s getting away with it. Approach your neighbor when sheā€™s alone and gently ask if she is okay or that youā€™re concerned. You may be met with anger or dismissal but its important for her to know there is people in her corner and that if she is being abused, itā€™s being witnessed and it isnā€™t normal. Worse case is youā€™re wrong and your conscience is clear however awkward your relationship becomes with them.

4 Likes

Keep calling the police.
Iā€™d also make friends with her, let her know I have a safe space that she can come to anytime. Be there for her, if she will let you.
You can contact CPS explain the situation and that the police donā€™t actually seem to be helping her. Iā€™ve been through it, I knew my neighbours could hear what was going on and they never did a thing xx

15 Likes

I mean, I yell ā€˜get off meā€™ a lot, and thatā€™s directed at my cat who is always on my lap, whether I want her there or not. So itā€™s hard to judge really. Though Iā€™d rather the cops be called and everything be fine, than not be called and I really need them.

However, if youā€™re concerned, keep calling. And do your best to make friends with her and find out if itā€™s a DV situation, or if sheā€™s just yelling frustrations at an animal (and hopefully not physically hurting said animal).

2 Likes

Report to police. You can remain anonymous. Better safe than sorry.

5 Likes

I think you should mind your business and concentrate on your pregnancy and child.
It sounds like you recently moved into home so unsure if the neighbor is experiencing domestic violence.
Being pregnant with hormones leaves you vulnerable so keep yourself and family safe.

At the end of the day, youā€™ve tried calling cops, they havenā€™t managed to resolve this issue. Iā€™m not comfortable with calling cps.

I believe that if neighbour is going through d/v that in her own time she will find the strength to moveā€¦! Calling cops/cps will have her resenting you and/or likely to stay in toxic relations just to try and prove a point.

It would be better if you offered a friendshipā€¦ (for when the going gets tough) so she knows she has outside support. :woman_shrugging:t5:

34 Likes

call policeā€¦befor its too lateā€¦how you gona feel when its too late and you never spoke up?

2 Likes

I say let your conscience be your guideā€¦if you can live with the thought that you could have helped and didnt and something terrible happens to that neighbor then do nothing, but if you would be filled with guilt about doing nothing then keep calling. Because ultimately if something happens to her and it is definitely not fixable and you are full of guilt cuz you did nothing can you live comfortably with that outcome? Search yourself for the answer. And dont feel bad for doing something to save someone who could potentially end up deceased. Screw all these who think you are being nosey. Cuz the Bible says we are our brothers keeper so you have every right to be concerned. Prayers you do the right thing.

1 Like

I have been through the same thing with my neighbours. Keep calling the police, be annoying, remain anonymous, get the other neighbours to keep calling the police as well. Unfortunately, in our situation, the only time the police did anything was when I went and stood at their door at 2am and said ā€œthey are going to kill each other, you need to do somethingā€ Police were there within 3 minutes. Make it sound as urgent as you can so the police can hear cause there isnā€™t much they can do if the woman says there is nothing going on, and they canā€™t hear it.

4 Likes

Maybe try and see if the partner goes out anywhere without her and try and get the pattern then go knock on her door

8 Likes

Keep reporting! Be annoying about it, be consistent. The only reason I survived the breakup with my abusive ex is because a neighbour phoned the police. I fully believe heā€™d have killed me without intervention.

19 Likes

Record and time stamp each event. Log your calls to law enforcement. Keep a notebook. You can email your recordings to yourself. Keep them in a file on your email. That way you can tell the police youā€™ve got evidence.

I know itā€™s tempting to want to befriend the person but that is inviting an abuser potentially into your personal area. Since you are pregnant that may be too high risk for you.

5 Likes

There is actually a domestic abuse hotline that has people who can give resources and may be better suited to answer questions like this on what to do and safe wats to approach this. Iā€™d definitely give them a call.

1 Like

Try and record yells for evidence. Follow your gut and keep calling the police . Instinct is rarely wrong. Even a visit from the police can pause the abuse for that evening.

14 Likes

As a domestic abuse survivor myself I can tell you stop calling the police. Every single time the cops are called to their home once police presence has left that woman will get it ten times worse from that man. There will come a time when you are able to speak to her alone since living in same building. Or when she is ready to reach out to someone for help. She needs a friend most importantly right now. Be that friend. Make yourself be known in her presence. Make her feel safe to where she is able and ready to speak about the things we donā€™t talk about, the god aweful things that happen behind closed doors. Once she feels that safety from someone else maybe then she will have the faith and strength to change her situation. I was abused for ten years before I finally found the courage to leave. With the right support system it is possible to leave heal and move forward in life. Iā€™m living proof!! My thoughts and prayers are with this lady and her child.

21 Likes

Dont call cps. They will remove her son and dont help much. I know cause ive had it done. Id try to talk to her when you can and become friends so she can talk to you

Honestly. If they donā€™t answer the door when the police come. Then she donā€™t want help ā€¦ you should prolly mind your buisness as you could be causing more problems for her ā€¦ it ainā€™t easy leaving a situation like that ā€¦

4 Likes