What would you do if your 16 year old asked to be put on birth control?

My 16 year old asked me to put her on birth control and I’m unsure how I feel about it. What would you say to your teen if they asked?

28 Likes

Be proud and happy she feels comfortable enough to come to you. The last thing you want is to lose that now. The more comfortable she is to talk to you about this stuff, the better chance you have to sway any bad choices she might be tempted to make. My daughter is 18 and for the most part are very close. She comes to me on anything she’s unsure about and I wouldn’t want it any other way.

1 Like

My 15 year old daughter is on birth control because her periods were severely heavy and painful. She was 14 when she started. She can make her own appointment and take herself without you knowing. Be glad she is coming to you.

1 Like

If my daughter was brave enough and asked me for birth control, I would definitely get it for her.
She trusts you and you always want that from your kids

23 Likes

Im so proud of your relationship with your child, your her safe space.

4 Likes

I was on the pill at 12 for heavy periods and a skin condition it was supposed to help. If my daughter wanted to go on it I’d let her, tho tbh I’d probably put her on it younger via my own choice

3 Likes

Absolutely let her get it! Regardless of how you feel about sex or such, if she’s requesting it, be the parent that has open communication. Bring her to get birth Control, then havw a conversation with her regarding safe sex, respecting her body, peer pressure, etc. Tell her you will be there for her anytime. Don’t go on about your rules or what you want, this is time to be informative and caring. Goes a long ways!!!

158 Likes

Coming from a teen mom… I would encourage you to allow her.

Raising a baby while a high school student was such a hard experience.
A struggle that I wouldn’t wish on anyone.

6 Likes

You can put her on birth control or you can risk her getting pregnant. If you don’t she can go to the Dr and get it without you, be thankful she is including you in her choice

43 Likes

I snuck to the health department as a teenager during school hours to get on BC…whatever brand they gave me made me super super sick. Would have been much easier not to hide it from my mom and get better options from an obgyn or something

12 Likes

I would do it, at least she is mature enough to tell you and not coming home pregnant

1 Like

Okay, here’s a question for you if your feeling uneasy about her on birth control. How would you feel if she were pregnant?

4 Likes

Absolutely without question, without hesitiation take her to the doctor and support her to make her own informed decision for her body and reproductive system.

25 Likes

better than an unwanted baby or teenage pregnancy she is 16 she came to you … say yes

13 Likes

I have 2 girls. I’d put them on birth control.

She’s being responsible by asking. I’d 110% honor her request AND praise her for doing so

3 Likes

Talk with her, listen to her. Ask her why she wants to be on bc.
Then take her to the doctor, you stay in the waiting room, UNLESS she asks you to go into the exam room. Let her have a candid convo with the doctor.

6 Likes

She may not even be having sex.
BC helps with periods, acne, etc etc.
Especially depending. I would say yes and do the sex talk still for precautions. But I’d let her. I’d rather her come to me rather than sneaking around.

God comes first always in every situation in my house. So if I had your situation I would absolutely put her on birth control and talk with her about the fact that is simply a precautionary act and that under no circumstances is it ok for her to have sex until marriage. I would monitor her closely and pray with her through this time of temptation. God bless!!

14 Likes

Sounds like she’s already sexually active. Why risk pregnancy and the complications that can come from it.
Have an open and frank discussion with her and bring her to an MD to get it.
You don’t have to like that she’s active or plans to be, but her wanting to take the precautions is a good thing.

4 Likes

I would go ahead and allow it. At least they have birth control to use. Years back in the day, birth control wasn’t an option, and young ladies were still having sex in their teen years, but had to start raising babies. I would rather go with birth control, over her having a baby at that age, or having an abortion because she chooses that route!

Take her to Dr and put her on it

I’d get her put on birth control. Asap. She’s comfortable with you and trusts you, all you can do is be there for her . And cry in YOURE own time - I’d be really happy she trusts you and isn’t out their sneaking around mumma x

She’s grown now it is what it is
Also talk to her about. Condoms as they’re a must. For birth control to work 100%.

And keep the nasty stds and sti’s away x

4 Likes

Help them learn how to make their doctors appts and get the healthcare that they need and want. Just remind her to honest with her doctor so they can help her make the best decision for her body.

7 Likes

Might not be happy About her wanting to get sexual active, but I would feel great she has the confidence to come to me and be very responsible and I would let her. You cannot stop teens having sex no matter how much you try, (they ll just go behind your back any chance possible) but at least you can help them to be educated about any disease and how to prevent being a parent at such an early age. Allowing going on the pill doesn’t mean you allow her to have sex, you can still set rules, but should all rules fail at least you won’t be a grandma or you won’t need to be making the decision about yes or no for abortion… :crossed_fingers:

I would thank her for coming to me . Get the birth control, have a conversation about sex. In the end like it or not sex will happen.

Its not about you. How you feel about it is irrelevant

11 Likes

You put her on birth control and tell her you are proud of her for coming to you and asking.

153 Likes

I’d do it. They are gonna have sex wether you like it or not. At least that way you don’t become a grandma

1 Like

Well done you, that she felt OK to speak to you about it is brilliant. Your baby is growing up and that is scary for both of you. Be honest with her. Praise her for wanting to take responsibility for her own safety and wellbeing. It’s OK to have mixed feelings about it. Talk it through with her, respect her views and her life choices and you are well on your way to having a happy confident daughter who has an amazing relationship with her mother.

22 Likes

Absolutely and I’d be so honoured she came to me, and so proud she was being responsible x

I’d get them. We’re open here. About to have that conversation with my youngest and open communication without judgment is always my 1st priority. That’s why they talk to me

My daughter came to me when she was 16, asking to be put on BC, I immediately made a doctor’s appointment, and we handled it, I want her to be able to come to me, and feel like she can tell me this stuff… Put her on Birth Control…if that’s what she wants, atleast she’s thinking about these things, and trying to be responsible about it… Be Proud of Her!

I’d put her on birth control and be so thankful she knew she could come to me. I had my first baby at 15

Yes. She’s obviously asking for a reason and felt comfortable enough to ask.

7 Likes

Do it. It will help with her period AND keep her safe. Regardless of how YOU feel about sex, she’s asking you to help her be safe. Take that as a win mom, and have a good conversation about that subject again.

Let her get on it… and be thankful she is open to ask you cause technically they can make appts and do it themselves.

You don’t know how you feel, ask yourself how you’d feel to be a grandma already and then take your daughter for the birth control. She came to you about it which means she has been thinking about it for awhile and has made up her mind that she’s ready. She’s going to do it regardless of how you feel, she might as well be safe.

Give her the tools to protect herself. If she’s asking she’s doing or planning to do it. Be glad she came to you with it!

1 Like

My 16g has been on birth control since 15. Better safe than sorry

YAY for her! That’s HUGE that she trusts you enough to ask. And the fact that she did ask, says a lot about her maturity. Her being on BC doesn’t give her “permission” but things happen at 16. It’s better to be protected than pregnant

be glad she’s asking!! of course it’s still scary bc you know why she’s asking, but she’s being smart ab something that’s gonna happen whether you know ab it or not (teens are sneaky lol)

You don’t have to like it or be happy about it, but they came to you with something big, do it!!! They are trying to be responsible about a big thing when so many teens don’t. They trusted you to bring it to you, make the apt.

1 Like

It’s okay to feel unsure about how you feel. You definitely need to have a talk with her about why she wants to go on birth control and explain about STD prevention. Birth control can be about more than just sex. I didn’t start the pill because I wanted to have sex, I started it because I was have troubles with my cycles and hormone balance. It helped to regulate things. You got this mom!:two_hearts:

Say yes. It’s a horrid feeling to worry about, but from someone who was a teen mom due to not being prepared as I thought I was, just say yes and look into the option that is safest.

Put her on birth control or you’re going to be a grand parent. Simple as that. Tell her I’m proud of her for making a responsible decision. And thank her for trusting me enough with something so heavy.

1 Like

I’d tell her okay and let her get it. I’d be happy she felt comfortable enough to ask me. If you haven’t had “the talk” with her yet this would be a good opportunity!

Listen, I don’t care of they say it’s to help with acne or because they don’t want to get pregnant. If they are asking, put them on it. In the US she doesn’t even have to have your permission for it and the doctors do not have to disclose that to you. Remember if you don’t and she gets pregnant, it’ll be your own fault.

Put her on it and say that you’re proud of her for coming to you. At least she’s being responsible and not just going without to be a mom so early.

1 Like

Get her the birth control. Very simple.

Its brilliant you both gotta strong bond that she feels she can ask you, let her do it, she sounds like a responsible young woman

I wld do it. I’m not gonna be a grandma too soon. All the talks in the world don’t protect her. I wld also reinforce that her communication with you was appreciated and the right thing to do

Thank you for trusting me and being grown up enough to discuss this with me. Go through reasons why and discuss STI’s etc x

3 Likes

Talk to her! Ask her why she wants to both control and talk to her about it… birth control is great at preventing pregnancy but NOT STDs and that condoms still need to be used. So while you should let her go on it you should also have an in depth conversation about keeping her self safe

10 Likes

I became a grandma at 32 lol put her on the birth control.

8 Likes

Id be glad she asked me!!! I didn’t feel comfortable asking my mom and had to ask a friends mom for help. Tell her that your proud that she came to you and get her in birth control and give her the talk!

2 Likes

“I am so proud of you for showing such maturity and responsibility! I will call and schedule the appointment. I am so glad you were comfortable enough to come to me. I love you sweetie!”
:+1:

20 Likes

Better listen …… or become a Grandma! Your choice

I would ask would you like a morning appointment or after lunch and leave it at that. No other questions are needed.

2 Likes

better to talk with her & get her on than having an unwanted pregnancy

She’s wanting to be responsible with her sex life. That’s a proud mom moment. Let her get it

1 Like

My daughter has been on BC since she was 14/15 years old.

She needed it to regulate her periods. If your child is being responsible and asking to be put on it. There is nothing wrong with it.

If she’s already asking, she’s likely already thinking about sex. Sit down with her have a conversation talk about her options and make her an appointment. When my daughter was 16, she also came to me and asked about birth control and I really wasn’t comfortable with it at first but I would rather her be on birth control if she does happen to have sex then me become a grandma. And good for you mama for her feeling confident enough to come ask you about it because not all teenagers do. 

I asked to be put on it when I was 16. I had horrible take you down for a week periods and read that bc helps with that and it really did. My mom was cool with it

3 Likes

I asked my mom too at age 17 and she took me. Rather that than be a grandma early in age like the rest of the 30 year olds :joy:

2 Likes

Yessss!! Unless you want a pregnant 16 year old!!

My 16 year old is being put on bc because her periods have never been normal. She goes months without one

2 Likes

It’s better than having unwanted babies. Or unplanned babies

I’d be super proud of her for being proactive about it .

Better to put her on bc and thank her for being responsible enough to come to you, than to be a grandma.

I’d sit her down and have a talk with her first. She either is sexually active or is planning to be. Be glad she asked you, that shows she needs/wants to talk.

1 Like

Put her on it and thank God she asked you :blush:

Me personally, I would put her on birth control. I don’t condone teenagers having sex. However, I would much rather my daughter be safe and reduce the risk of pregnancy, especially teen pregnancy than her coming home and telling me she’s pregnant at 16. I actually would thank her too for being responsible enough to ask me for it and trusting me instead of trying to be sneaky and then something undesirable happens. Also, I mean……I have PCOS and am on birth control to help with symptoms. It definitely helps me with cramps, shortens my periods, and helps manage acne breakouts. I’m lucky and haven’t gained a bunch of weight on it either. That’s me though.

Put her on birth control. She is trying to be as responsible as she can. This is actually great news that she’s even asking. Most teens won’t and they end up with unwanted pregnancies.

If they ask they are thinking about having sex or already having sex and wanting to protect themselves. Bravo to them but still have the talk about saving themselves for as long as they can.

I put my daughter on birth control at 16. We were teenagers once too. Better safe than sorry.

5 Likes

Sit down with her and discuss the different options out there then go to the doctor and discuss these options with her doctor as well so I can help her make the best decision for her body.

It doesn’t matter how YOU feel (your feelings are valid, go find a friend to vent to but…) your daughter is the only person who matters here. Be glad that she came to you! Tell her you’re proud of her and that you’re happy to help However you can. You’ll want her to continue to come to you.
Remember, not putting her on birth control doesn’t prevent sex. It just helps to prevent unprepared pregnancy.

Put her on it and talk to her about safe sex and all that. You did something right that she felt safe and comfortable coming to talk to you about it.

Absolutely I encourage that if my girls came up to me and asked I would say yes Absolutely

Shes being sensible. Get her on birth control and supply plenty of condoms . Make sure she’s aware of the normal things…safe sex, consent , self respect …etc
Id be delighted my daughter was so sensible and she trusted me enough to ask my help

1 Like

We would discuss the options and the pros and cons of each type of birth control. And I would congratulate her on being self aware and grown up enough to ask for what she wants even though it’s an embarrassing topic to bring up to a parent.

Put her on the birth control. Thank her for trusting you enough to come to you with this. A box of condoms should be put in an available place for her, birth control only stops pregnancy and there’s a lot of STDs out there. We do whatever is necessary to assist them with growing up healthy and making informed choices.

I’d say she is being very responsible…without any hesitation I would say yes, and not publicly advertise it.

1 Like

Be happy she talked to me about it bc she can do this privately and without your consent or knowledge.

1 Like

You ready for grandkids? It’s pretty simple & she can get it at the health department If she wants

Take her in and get her put on it

If she is asking she is planning or already has started to be sexually active.

She is also showing extreme responsibility by coming to you and asking you to help her make safe choices to prevent pregnancy.

I would for sure make it a priority to get to a doctor and get her started on some kind of birth control, I would also verbalize how proud I am of her for coming to me with this request.

Also make a point to have a conversation about the other risks of sexual activity, birth control is for preventing pregnancy, condoms are for preventing STI’s and STD’s.
You can never be too safe!

Say yes and thank her for coming to me

If she’s asking, she’s probably already active.
So support her and get her on bc.

I’d say yes :woman_shrugging:t4: she’s being smart and making sure she’s taken care of if she decides to take that next step. She’s being very responsible, you should be proud mamas. My oldest son is 14 - turning 15, and we’ve had many talks with him on protecting himself and his partner. Do I want my son having sex, absolutely not. But it’s unrealistic to think he won’t till he’s an adult and I’d rather him have the tools to keep everyone safe than be in denial. I keep condoms under our bathroom sink just in case he needs them. You have an amazing relationship with your daughter, hold onto the fact that you’ve allowed her a safe place to go and ask you for help.

I would have a talk about it and make sure she know about safe sex and get her on birth control. Honestly these days for kids its hard to ask they just do as they go without think so if yours ls is asking i would be thrilled. Just Means you did a good job raising her and she is comfortable enough to ask you :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

You absolutely put her on birth control. Its not about how you feel. She’s ASKING you do. Shes 16, if she’s responsible enough to ask, there’s most likely a reason why.

2 Likes

I put my girls on birth control at 13 years old. I know what I was doing, and I’m not about raising any grand babies. Do it, don’t question it. Just don’t let her run wild.

Talk :clap: to :clap: them and then put them on birth control. Speak to the doctor together.

Put her on it! Because she’s going to do it no matter what atleast she was brave enough to ask you for birth control and that also says a lot about her and that she is looking towards her future but she also wants to be a teenager and that’s what they do

Be glad they came to you and then take them to get said bc…

Yeah I would let her xx i was on birth control before this age to help with periods and because I was honest with my mum and told her i was having sex x better to be safe then sorry and if she is asking there is reason to it xx and she obviously trusts you enough to talk to you cause she could of gone through different chanels and done it without you knowing as this is possible xx you should be proud xx

I told my daughter to ask when she’s ready and I wouldn’t grill her. I’ve always been open because I was a teen mom. So if she’s asking, she’s probably sexually active. Take her and talk to her about it.

You’re way behind if you wait till they’re sixteen wake up parents

Absolutely. What’s the alternative there, grandma?

2 Likes