What would you do in this situation?

Should have not stopped their friendship, you will make him a target, let them be friends if it happens again he needs to pick them off 1 by 1. If he’s not strong enough for this enrolment in self defence classes is a good idea and a chance to make other friends 2 .Good luck but also realise a lot of boys and girls unfortunately go through the same thing, and i know it is heartbreaking x

4 Likes

If after the boys mom talks with them if they make an attempt to befriend your son again, maybe only allow supervised hang outs.

My son had his best friend turn on him around that age the bullying was only verbal and via video game chat. But I over heard what 3 boys were saying to my son and it was horrific. My son did say something he couldn’t have amd he apologized. However the friends ganged up on him amd made him a target for days after. He stopped playing with the friends. Then the best friend started talking to him at school again.

Its so hard to watch our kiddos going through stuff like that.

1 Like

If they hurt him physically it could be worse the next time.Don’t let him go back around them…

6 Likes

Document everything with picture and file a report.

4 Likes

Make sure your son knows how to fight I’m not saying fighting is the answer but if he can defend himself then they will stop 2 against 1 is not fair they knew they couldn’t win 1 on 1 you are right they are not true friends

4 Likes

Tattling is not cool either unless it was a life or death situation but he didn’t deserve that

22 Likes

This terrifies me because people are insane nowadays, and you always hear horrific stories about kids and teenagers killing each other at sleepovers for no reason.

I applaud you for keeping your cool. I’m so worried if this ever happened to my son, I’d go over there and flip shit at the boys and their mom.

Get your kid in self defense class or karate or any mixed martial arts (any form of mixed martial arts is great for kids). Tell him if someone hits him, he can punch them back to defend himself.

1 Like

I’m not gonna leave advice because there is enough good advice left here but I just hope it all gets worked out and you and your child are finding peace about the situation and it gets resolved. Big mama hugs to you and your little.:heart:

1 Like

Send your son to Judo classes.

2 Likes

I’d be pressing charges wtf

4 Likes

Sign him up for martial arts in your area. This will help his self esteem and teach him how to handle bullies, while learning how to defend himself and others, if he needs to. He will also make new friends.

14 Likes

Kids will be kids. Not that what they did was ok. Bullying is never ok. I have come to realize most of the time they can work it out. Definitely go with him to the house and try to resolve the problem. Make sure you let the other child know he didn’t tattle. They will be fine.

9 Likes

Been though this myself many years ago , it the leader of the pack who the strongest and who’s the weaknesses. Sad I still remember what happen to me…on cold snowing winter day back in 1978.

3 Likes

So sorry,back in the day kids seemed to work this out,but protect your son and encourage him to make new friends.Idk the ages but it sounds too toxic for them to play together.Try point him to other friends.Sadly he has to start over.I recall a bully or 2 when I was a kid.Tons of years go lol.

3 Likes

Nope, IDC how much my kid hated me I’d go down and talk to the parents and IF my son still wants to be friends with the little $Π°&$ they can only play at my house or with adult supervision. He can never be alone with them again. BC stuff like this I’ve witnessed turn into a bigger problem with more kids.

6 Likes

Mamma, you have provided your son with a safe place ( he came home because he knew what those boys were doing was not right) that speaks volumes about you, and your love as his parent. Be proud of that there is so many kids in this world who don’t have a safe home to go to. Explain to him in a calm way why you are making the decision you are about ending the so called friendships for him and find out his feelings on that. You don’t want him to start feeling that his safe place is a controlling place that he can’t voice his opinion in because the outcome has already been decided. Unfortunately in the world society has created as he gets older his problems are likely to get bigger, he need to know that you trust him to do the right things so he hopefully will always come to you. My boy is 22 the last time I took it upon myself to call bullshit to someone that was completely on the wrong, my son told me I broke his confidence in me, that hurt deeply, we worked through it but that moment is always there and I’d do the exact thing all over again. That’s the realist advice I got, keep up the good work mamma!!!

Give your son a hug for me. Tell him I (a random mom from Facebook) says she is proud of him for coming forward. Many times kids keep it a secret and let it consume them. He did the right thing by telling them to stop and when he had the chance to leave he did and come to a safe place. Teaching him to fight back isn’t always the answer, some kids are more pacifist than other and their is nothing wrong with that. I would have been just as upset as you and I honestly believe you and him both handled the situation in the best way for you and your family. Don’t ever doubt your parenting skills and think you should have done it differently, because honestly you did what you thought was right and so did your son. :heart:

9 Likes

I would document this and also contact their school.principal, teacher and guidance dept. I would never trust those monsters again. You have been kinder than they deserve. They need to know there will be consequences to their horrible behavior. They victimized your son. I guarantee he will never forget this ugly experience. God be with him.

1 Like

Stand up for him was right, just keep talking to him and tell him then ain’t his friends. Good job mom.

1 Like

Happened to my son, ended up with bruised kidneys. Turned out he was been bullied by kids I thought were his friends. He stood up for another child that was all he did. They attacked him outside the school in there uniforms. Parents were called tried to blame my son, saying he deserved it for going against his friends and joining in. The kids were expelled and parents reported to the social workers by the school. In the mean time my 8yr old son got upset because he now has no friends. His 13 now and is doing great. He learned a valuable lesson

8 Likes

It’s a boy thing I always say if your gonna play those sort of games I don’t want hear it always starts of like that but boys they don’t kno when to stop he should of got up n left as soon as the wrestling started

6 Likes

My advice would probably have put you in jail overnight so in that case I had to delete my comment and start over…

But yes, I pray your son will be okay and the bullies would learn their lesson

8 Likes

Boys have this weird pecking order thing going on around that age. I agree that these aren’t good friends and I would distance my son from them, but it also wouldn’t hurt to put your child in some type of martial arts so he won’t feel vulnerable if he is ever in that situation again.

8 Likes

I’ve seen one good idea on this thread. Ask your son if he wants to get into martial arts. Not only could it teach him to fight AND build his self confidence but it also teaches many other valuable skills and lessons. Such as self discipline, focus, breathing, etc. Have him watch a Bruce Lee movie and see if he’s into it

16 Likes

Have him join a social club like scouts. He will have a chance to make life long friends and have supervised time with them. Check out different troops to find the best fit. Bullies are everywhere. Self defense classes or a team sport, he need the social network.

9 Likes

Lori Musa, what does this sound like? :confused::broken_heart: I know our neighbor kids hadn’t been violent, yet/that I know of. But the so called friends and how our girl was feeling. :broken_heart:

All you can do is talk to him and make it very clear to hat he is worth more as a friend, nobody deserves to be treated like that. It will be an adjustment not being able to play with them, but he will definitely be better off without those friendships.

2 Likes

I would keep in mind that these are children, not adults, children make bad decisions. Not defending them but just remember that and also your son might want to eventually move passed this and be friends with them again.

9 Likes

My heart goes out to u , nothing hurts more than seeing one of your children hurting not being able to fix it , wish I could give u some good advice but I get way to mad over this kind of stuff & my advice would not be appropriate so sorry for your pain & your son

4 Likes

My heart hurts for the kids with parents in the comments saying “ boys” ,or even girls , will be that way and if they put themselves in themselves in that situation even if it started not so rough to basically just deal with it,if you are that parent ,shame on you ,your children may end up to be the bully or the bullied and I doubt either way they’ll wanna talk to you about it bc the attitude of just sucking it up . You did a good job standing up for your kid mama and don’t forget it or ever stop ,I would put him in a self defense class for in the future though so even if he is outnumbered he will be able to defend himself til he can break free,our daughter is almost 18 months and we have another girl on the way and we already have agreed once she is potty trained we will be doing that from young so they know how to defend themselves in case of any situation that’s compared to being attacked in anyway .

I’m so so sorry. This breaks my heart. You did the right thing, I would have been absolutely livid!! You handled it better than I could have. Unfortunately, the only way to get him past this is to love him through it and give it time. He’ll find other friends but he’s probably going to be sad for a while and feel a little lost. I would encourage him to do a group activity (sport, band, etc.) to help him find people he has something in common with.

2 Likes

MoMA u did the right thing those boys were never your son’s friends cause friends don’t treat friends like that

5 Likes

Did you call the mom she may not know what happened

I say, speak your piece and move on. I almost came to blows with a mom when my boys were 8 & 9 and for what? They are now 22 & 23 and still great friends with these brothers and all of them are tremendous young adults now. If these boys are good kids, you may need to assess the situation a little better to determine if this should be the end of their friendship… may not even be your call to make.

8 Likes

It may not be a solution to the feeling of losing friends but I would recommend looking into getting him Into jiu-jitsu classes it will boost his self confidence and be able to defend himself in those situations. Plus be able to make some new friends

13 Likes

Put him in martial arts if you can.
My husband has his black belt in karate. He will also make friends doing that.

They should have been supervised.
It’s very upsetting to hear when your child’s “friends” are being mean.
I’ve tried telling my daughters the same thing. That friends aren’t mean to each other, and to not talk or be friends with people who are like this. This is bullying and not okay. Friends don’t bully their friends. Friends do not abuse their friends.
You will more than likely have to have this talk with your son more than once.
My girls are still young and I’ve had to tell them this multiple times already because they’ve been bullied by “friends” at school or on the bus.

3 Likes

Sounds like half the story is missing people don’t just beat you up for zero reason especially a longtime friend bet you put your own spin on this 2 make ur kid a saint or udk wtf is really going on urself

6 Likes

At that age, boys are going through so many emotions, I would have done the same thing. Both my sons were put into a familiar situation. We started them in boxing, wrestling. To teach them self respect, and to protect themselves. Also got them into weight lifting. We always taught them, not to start it, but to finish it if they have too. We done the same for our daughter, because girls go through the same thing. We always told them to first talk it out, if they strike, then by no means walk away! Bullying has been around for ages, and I have never been one to back down if hands were laid on me and I never expected my children to be treated in such matters.

2 Likes

Just hug your baby extra tight. Reassure him that he did nothing wrong by being a good friend, that he might eventually forgive this but not to forget those kids arent his friends so leave them in the past. I am so sorry. My mom heart hearts for you and your child.

5 Likes

I hate to say boys will be boys but had similar situation with one of my sons he was a big for his age but a gentle giant would not hurt a fly we lived in the same neighbor hood all his life so we were not going to move so he could not make new friends eventually everything worked it’s was out like one person said kids make bad decisions instead of telling them their not allowed over and your sons not allowed to play with them try to get to the bottom of it why did it happen let’s figure out how to not let it happen again. And some karate lessons wouldn’ hurt.

2 Likes

Have you and the other mom sit down with all the boys. First have the other boys say they are sorry. Then see if all the boys still want to be friends. If so then for awhile set rules. Like they can come over but no bedrooms. Let them know that they have to play where either mom can see them play. I think you should give the boys another chance. Every one makes mistakes.

7 Likes

As a mother, anything is necessary when it comes to protecting your child.

2 Likes

Not gonna lie, I probably would have slapped both those boys across the face. Good on you for holding yourself together. Just be there for him❤check in on how he’s doing mentally every now and then because he might not express it outwardly

5 Likes

Sweet baby. I have always been an empath and been a true friend, unfortunately people take your kindness for weakness. Took me 27 years to realize I need to stand up for myself and it’s much better to let negativity go. My 7 year old son is also like me so me and my fiery 4 year old daughter protect him at all costs. I dread the day he gets his feelings hurt like this but so far, he tells me everything thankfully. He will learn and progress and find his true friends momma. I have no advice but I am sending lots of love to you and your baby!

1 Like

For everyone saying “people don’t just bully someone”… well I suppose you’re right in one way, but missing the point. Yes there are two sides to the story, but she explained that he asked them to stop, and they didn’t. And that there were past issues.
I know personally, that my two best friends in middle school turned against me when we made friends with a new girl who moved to our school, and she was conniving and mean, and one of the original two had lost her 8 year old brother. So it wasn’t ‘just them bullying me’ there were underlying issues, but it went on for six years relentlessly and I continued to try to repair the relationships at the time and wound up heartbroken repeatedly by betrayal and just general backstabbing and meanness. Some people aren’t taught to manage their emotions, are going through things, and yea there are two sides- but that doesn’t mean this child has to endure someone being unkind to them. My mom gave me the same advice, and I didn’t listen because I was a kind person and didn’t want to believe that my “friends” would actually be that mean to me, but they were. For years. I would have been so much better off had I just walked away.
Do the best you can, momma. Follow your Mom instincts. Love on your son and remind him that some people are dealing with things but we should never settle for unkindness as a “friend” because that’s not what friends are. They should love you and support you and be on your team. Not beat you up and not hear your voice
You’re doing a great job, even if it doesn’t feel like it

3 Likes

I think you handled it the best way possible. It will just take time for your son to move on. If the kids start bullying him because they think he tattled then the bullies can sit in JC for assault.

2 Likes

It will happen again! Be done with those little brats. Put your son in a self defense class. I am sure there is some jealousy sounds like. But babying him to death will make it worse in the future because we all have battles and must know how to handle them. Take him to church and get him involved with activities there.

2 Likes

Get your son involved with a team sport. And get him in Judo, Karate or something where he can learn to defend himself. Personally only talking to the parents doesn’t solve problems.
I would if invited the family over and brought it to the table.
Boys will be boys but not like that. This is bullying and those two thugs in training need a hard lesson. And yes I raised two tough boys myself.
On the other hand, quit babying your son!!! Teach him how to defend please. :+1::black_heart::purple_heart::v:

3 Likes

I remember a case of 3 friends, cheerleaders,that did everything together, till 2 killed the third.Yes,get involved!

1 Like

Bullies bully because they think you’re weak. Teach him to fight back. I taught my kids never start a fight but don’t be scared to finish one. Trust me one punch and it’ll be over. They’ll be friends again and it’ll be a thing of the past.

2 Likes

That’s tough for both you and him there momma, it’s not like before covid when you could suggest joining a sport or something he wants to do. Restrictions are putting a damper on everything, but that would be my suggestion, that way he would meet like minded people. Unfortunately he is dealing with something we all have to deal with at some point. It’s never easy for anyone but it’s better that then having 2 “friends” beat on you. There’s too many stories about those situations going to far.
Best of luck!

2 Likes

Could we not call all these boys together and talk to them and make them realise what was wrong in their behaviour - two or three sessions with adults and the boys being a part of it may better the situation and we might have made the society a little better - not 100% it will work but worth a try

4 Likes

I would put him in kick boxing or boxing so that he can defend himself if it happens again. As soon as he stands up to them it won’t happen again. Look for little league sign ups to where he can meet new friends

3 Likes

I would say let an older sibling or cousin handle it before stepping in but you said things have been happening several times so you did the right thing and sports, karate or other guided activities are a good idea. Do remember to read up on your bully guidelines in your son’s school district handbook in case it is happening at school too.

4 Likes

I’m so sorry. I’ll be praying for you and your son

2 Likes

Counseling for your son to address the situation. And then self esteem
One thing you missed that’s assault But do have the boys talk this out and figure better ways of handling things. Both mom’s present or counselor. May e the school counselor would be willing to address this

1 Like

He was bullied plain as that and the school principal should also know…I would also call the police dept and make a report…he will make new friends it just doesn’t feel that way yet! Stand your ground you did the right thing!

4 Likes

What would I do? Absolutely nothing rational or legal.

14 Likes

I would have called a little get together with the boys and their parents. And talked about bullying and how wrong it is .I feel now that he will be bullied by them even more because the way you went about it .understandably you were upset at the time but I would have went about it differently .

10 Likes

Kids do this stuff all the time sometimes it gets out of hand but don’t be surprised if they are back to being friends soon I hope their Mom handled it on her end

7 Likes

File a police report

4 Likes

id do the same thing. had a semi similar accident the other day. What happens when your daughter and an 11 year old friend that’s a girl too all have friendly competition on Roblox that they met this girl on with your 6 year older. They talk smack to each other but it’s all laughs. Next day they chatting over phone and this girl and your daughter are now talking mad smack about Gavin for no reason other than to be mean.
You tell loudly for all kids (phone call included) that competition is fine but bullying is not then unplug the internet because you’ve said stop once but they didnt hear . Then have a talk with your 2 kids stating who did what wrong and this friend needs to be told what’s up too or she goes away. Daughter is now in her room with door shut throwing things. whoever said as they grow older it gets easier is a liar. by the way shes over it and that girl is no longer around

2 Likes

Pinned down. Trapped. These kids assaulted yours. Parents should be told. Kids held responsible. Those aren’t friends.

4 Likes

He doesn’t need people like that in his life :cry:

3 Likes

I’m so sorry that happened. I would do the same thing. The mom may not have known though and may be heartbroken too, hopefully that is the case and they are punished and taught better because of this.
Good job on your part mama. Treat your son how true friends are. In the meantime maybe take him to lunch and watch a movie, do stuff to cheer him up.

3 Likes

Enroll him in some activities so he can make some new friends. He will definitely grieve the loss of his old friend though; that’s natural. Put him in boxing or martial arts because they usually teach discipline, self-control, and character building and through that he will learn about what it takes to be a friend and inevitably he will be able to see how those boys weren’t a friend to him.

Unfortunately, it will take time. There is no easy fix for this one.

3 Likes

I’d have a whole chart with all of them.
Beyond that, it’s a process that he has to go through. Reiterate it’s not his fault & he isn’t required to take assault from ANYONE. Get him in some type if defense classes & help him build his esteem. Also, he has to learn to trust himself. Guide him to do that.

2 Likes

You did the right thing. This is bullying and nothing less. It is never ok. I am proud of you and so are all the other parents on this page.

4 Likes

You need to call the police and file charges against the boys because what you described is assault.

6 Likes

First; boys are rough, tough tumblers, they watch things on tv and video games and want to do it too. Before stepping in I would have asked my son what he would like to do about the situation. If he wanted me to get involved than I would have. Now if he asked me not too, that’s fine I wouldn’t get involved. I WOULD call my daughter over, let her know what happened, than call my best friend Nd let her and her boys know what happened and than go to an arcade or something fun and let the kids work it out.

4 Likes

If you could move to give him a fresh start or switch his school.

2 Likes

Put him in activities or after school programs to meet new people!!!

5 Likes

I’ll never understand why some kids are so cruel!

3 Likes

Okay so first off I want to say that you did the absolute right thing by cutting off the friendship and allowing them over and visa versa. I wouldn’t allow my son to be friends with any kids who physically hurt him like that regardless of how long they’d been friends. Because for one that was completely wrong and next time it could escalate into your son getting seriously hurt or even killed I read too many articles about this type of stuff happening. I would say normal rough housing would be one thing but they kept hurting him even after he said no and that’s never acceptable. I feel so sorry for your son and I hope he starts feeling better soon. My best advice keep him completely away from them and be very open and honest communicating with him about his feelings and helping him process this. Also your doing great explaining that these are definitely not the type of friends you want in your life. I really hope he feels better soon and he makes some new positive friendships!

4 Likes

Maybe get your son some counseling. I’m on your side. Keep him away from these little gangsters.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry that happened to your boy. Just love him. Time helps.

1 Like

Tbh when I read this I do understand but fear you making him will offset bad vibes with him he is 11 and no matter what u say if these boys wanna b friends they will find a way. I would of handles it in much the same way , what I’m trying say is that he needs some choice in the decision is all. Boys are rough n bully’s are all around he will find true friends good luck momma bear :bear:

4 Likes

Teach him self defense! Never swing first, and if you do swing, make sure you finish it.

8 Likes

Help him try n make new friends. Does he like roblox or online gaming? Any cousins he can hang with?

3 Likes

If you live in a small town I’d say it’s time to pack up and explore a fresh start. I grew up in a small town and my school years were hell. If that’s not an option I’d either get a counselor or enroll in a big brother program. Even maybe try another local school

3 Likes

Sadly it’s a life lesson. He will come through it and be better for it.
He may decide to be friends with them again on His own. On his terms. Just keep an eye And ear out but try and let him navigate this on his own. Great life lesson!

6 Likes

I haven’t had to experience this yet but bullying is my biggest fear as a mama. I bookmarked this to turn to when I need advice.

I wanted to say my heart breaks with you, mama, and for your little boy who is having to learn the hard lessons in life. Hug and squeeze him hard. You can’t take away his pain but you can give him your love and whatever strength you can muster. Love to you both.

2 Likes

Gir your better than me, I’d be in jail for beating someone else Lil punk ass kids ass!

This is why my kids are in martial arts.

4 Likes

Tbh,you don’t heal his broken heart. He will heal in time.
I also have to wonder how much of this a good learning lesson for all the boys. If they’re young, their may still be a chance they can learn to get over this, make better choices and be better friends to your son. But of course, in time, theirs obviously so much to process here.

5 Likes

Kids do things, and the next day they act like nothing happened. Unfortunately 2 against 1 isn’t cool. I would definitely speak to the parents and sit everyone down together for a little chat. jmo

6 Likes

I feel you went to far shutting the friendship down.

6 Likes

How does one walk away from a friendship that’s been since they have been in diapers …. Meaning If this is the first time it has ever happened then maybe your son will accept an apology from them and then he can explain that if it ever happens again then it’s over.
I have 3 sons and would probably react the same way but maybe phone the mom up IF you feel they deserve another chance and explain to her that you were hasty to shut your door to them but after cooling down you realise that it’s hurting your son more and maybe the boys could apologise if they want to continue this long friendship . When you invest into something it reaches a point that only you can decided to cash out or hold on .
Good luck to the both of you as I can feel your love in the message while your baby is hurting so much . He feels more betrayed then physically hurt :cry:

3 Likes

I feel like one of the best things we can do for our sons is teach them “stop” means stop & “no” means no, boys can be too aggressive sometimes.

7 Likes

I feel so sad for him. My boyfriend experienced something similar when he was a child he got jumped by his friends that he invited to his birthday party when he was 8 years old they were his childhood friends too. My only suggestion is to take him to events, parks, anything for him to meet new kids and make new friends. Let him know life isn’t over he will have many friends come and go

How about karate lessons? Wrestling? He can defend himself BUT not have to beat the snot out of anyone, just repel them.

5 Likes

Get him in martial arts. They will teach him self defense and learn real discipline. Those kids who did this without so much as an apology? Their mom to. Your son doesn’t need people like that in his life. Definitely get him into self defense class, if they try it again he will be able to teach them a real lesson about bullying and who not to mess with. Good luck to you and your son

3 Likes

Find him a sport that will teach self defense. My kids are in boxing with great coaches. They’re taught life lessons, staying active, and learning how to defend themselves. Get him into something he will enjoy and can make other friends with. Youll see him blossom. Good luck mama.

3 Likes

It’s sad to hear that your son lost friends and you’re right they’re not good friends because no friends would do that to their friend but all this you have to blame on the Internet because I get this crap from the Internet being mean to your friend challenge or some other kind of challenge which is really sad your son will heal in time make new friends and the boys may learn a lesson and come to him and try to be friends with him but no way do you let him be with them alone again

2 Likes

The heartache will pass, just please please teach him how to fight please because more than likely he will be bullied in school by this kids now.

6 Likes

:heart: Sending Love and Good Vibes :gift_heart:

1 Like

What hurts the most is that his friends have done this to him…and he can’t understand why…that and having to go back to school and face these boys again. Don’t think for a minute that the games stopped there… they’ll agerfate him as well at school…keep an eye on your son’s coming and goings to school…these boys are jealous of your son for some reason…tearing on another’s new clothes is a dead give away…of jealousy… true friends don’t beat up on the other…Stay away from this family…that and teach your son to fight…sign him up for karaoke classes…self defense classes will help him in alot of ways…

3 Likes

I think every child benefits from taking a self-defense class.
Our children need to know how to defend themselves in any given situation.

6 Likes

I’m sorry but u handled urself way better than I would have Ida snatched a kid up so u handled urself extremely well and his broken heart will heal in time

4 Likes

Good on you for doing this I would do the same. Kids though will go in and out of friendships in their life, my stepson is 12 and has been in and out of friendships for two years now, they will know what the boundaries are from this, don’t be surprised if they pop back into his life months from now :blush:

1 Like

That’s an awful way to learn not everyone is truly your friend.
Make him feel special, mama. Take him out on some fun mum and son dates, if dad is around as him to do “guy time”. All you can really do is be there.

When I learned this lesson, all I needed was someone, anyone to just be there for me while I processed everything.

2 Likes