What would you do?

Kind of a no brainer don’t let them come to your day care any more. I’m sure you can find other kids to replace these 2 . It’s either that or you lose the other kids because their parents won’t keep putting up with it

3 Likes

You need to tell the parents to bring these kids back to the zoo! I would never watch them and put other children at risk ! You are risking a lawsuit!

2 Likes

I’m not sure what you think parents are supposed to do for a one in two year old when they are at your daycare violent? That’s your responsibility when they are there and they are only one and two! You have them more than their parents do so you’re the one who has the teaching of proper behavior to work on with them. I’ve done daycare before, and I know I saw those kids more than their parents. I knew that it was very important that my job wasn’t just to take money and keep kids it was also to shape their little lives.

17 Likes

Give them a week notice for them to be able to find another child care facility. 2 kids versus however many other kids you have, being taken out. I’d say they aren’t worth it.

1 Like

Temporarily suspend them. Parents will be forced to work on their behaviour, or at least take it seriously. If it’s not corrected now, those kids and the parents are heading for disaster especially when formal schooling starts

3 Likes

If you had this kind of child constantly assaulting other children…You would lose mine!

3 Likes

Tell the parents she can no longer come…
YOU are goign to be liable for a Law suit if a parent decides their child has been bitten enough - seriously. You are there to protect each child from harm, right?

5 Likes

Write a formal letter. Tell them it’s final warning. That way you have documentation and maybe they’ll take it seriously and start poppin some mouths at home. :woman_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

There is always a need for good babysitters, so I believe that you can find other kids to watch, but what is worrying is that kids usually don’t engage in regular biting, hitting and such unless they are under real stress and have learned this is the solution to their problems. Are they being hit at home, do their parents hit each other? Do they have any unexplained bruising? I would observe these kids any call child welfare if you think itis warranted.

Another tip from a daycare woman I used is to make the child who did the biting bandage and sooth the kid they bit. If it is not too entrenched the child should learn some sympathy and to not bite. Good luck, though as I am sure you have been trying hard to discourage this and developing sympathy can be very hard once they think that hitting is the solution to their problems.

2 Likes

Ohhh my God…smack her in the freaking mouth, she will learn! If the parent have a problem, tell them to take the kids to the zoo! Simple…

7 Likes

I think you have answered your own problem, let them go as the parents seem to be ignoring the problem. I’m sure you will be able to get another 2 kiddies to make up your quota

4 Likes

Document the warnings you have given them. I know there is a protocol here that needed to be done. If you are licensed or not it matters. But if you are going to lose business because the parents refuse to parent, cut then loose. You’re space will fill up fast. Waitlists for places are a mile long.

4 Likes

You run a daycare and you don’t know how to handle these children?? :roll_eyes:Ugh!

5 Likes

If you need to ask Facebook you shouldn’t be running a childcare business… clearly not qualified

5 Likes

Bye bye kiddos, just my opinion.

3 Likes

for the safety of the other kids and for the safety of your daycare , you need to tell the parents you can no longer care for their kids … if you continue to care for those 2 kids I can tell you this right now … you will lose your other kids and parents will give you bad reviews for not keeping their kids safe … then you will have no choice but to close your daycare

15 Likes

I would start an ouch report system where you wright done every incident. I would explain that each child gets x amount of write ups before you can no longer have them in your daycare. If they feel like they are going to lose their daycare, maybe that will help with them caring about the issue. If you aren’t able to control these children while they are in your care, I’m kind of doubting that the parents can either.

6 Likes

If it were me I would suspend the child for 1 day of the ability to come back to your daycare for each time one of the children bites another child. The parents will get tired of having to take off work or find a sitter for the day for each time the child acts out. And maybe they will do something about disciplining the children to stop biting.

6 Likes

Kick them out…people need childcare surely those slots will.be filled quickly…

6 Likes

Ages 1 and 2? Totally normal. You have to be patient and teach them. So many kids but my son at daycare and my son the same when he was teething

I wonder what these babies see at home…

1 Like

This is a sad story and all the people’s reactions on time out for a 1 year old or to leave them in another room or to exclude and put them in another place is even worse. It doesn’t sound like a single person here has read a child behavior article or book. :pleading_face: positive reinforcement all. Day. Long. When they aren’t biting or being aggressive. Ie: thank you for being kind with your mouth and using it to drink… ect. All day like so much it’s annoying. Also the use or redirecting. The ones recommending a incident report system make the most sense. At this point you are frustrated snd I’m sure so are all the kids. I’d let them go and do some research because this won’t be the last child you encounter.

5 Likes

I would start a incident report log. And every time the child has a incident I would give notice to the parents that after 5-10 incidents or whatever number that the child will be expelled from the daycare for the safety of the other children. Your going to loose your other daycare kids because the parents are going too get frustrated and pull them out because there kids keep coming home bitten etc. I would tell them that after so many incidents the child will have 1 week to stay while they make other arrangements. I would not jeopardize my child’s safety and other children’s safety because the parents don’t want to work with you to solve the behavioral issues. If there attitude is to brush it off than I would be forced to start taking other actions and terminate care of the child after trying one last effort of the incident reports. Maybe that will open there eyes and if not than at least the other children will be safe after the child leaves your care. If the parents were trying too help you correct the issues I wouldn’t be as quick to dismiss the child from your care. But since they don’t care or want to help than there basically forcing your hand.

Separate them until they learn to behave

Let the parents know she can’t come any more. It’s not your job to address the issue. It’s the parents job. If they feel adequately inconvenienced, then perhaps they will parent better.

If the child is 1-2 yrs of age it’s doubtful the parents can explain to the child what is wrong with their behavior and the child understands. Hitting and biting and this age is normal, it’s not ideal but it is normal. You need to be extra vigilant to observe the behavior and immediately separate. Ignore the aggressor and comfort the victim. Once you’ve comforted the victim have the ask the aggressor if they see the victim is upset and ask how they can fix it. Encourage to say sorry and give a hug or whatever is acceptable during COVID.

Well cps can shut you down for not handling it prior after someone lands in the hospital soooo