When can I start getting child support?

Baby has to come out. Put baby on medicaid and apply for child support. Once he is served you have a hearing take baby with you. They will do a test if he says its not his. Once it’s his they retro the pay. Remember never count on it. If they don’t take it from them you just build up rears.

8 Likes

Get a job, support your own child. Child support is never a guarantee.

49 Likes

Some very rude people commenting “grow up get a job” and stuff you don’t know her situation she may be doctors orders that she can’t work for some medical reason for her safety if the babies…Don’t always pass judgment on people when you don’t know their entire situation. It’s very rude… now for the mom to be I’m sure wherever you live there’s some sort of government help you can get sometimes even local churches are able to help with some things just do a little google search for places near you that you can get some help for you and your bundle of joy. But relying on child support is hard so try for some other resources. Good luck with everything!

5 Likes

When I found out I was pregnant I got a job and got everything I needed for my baby before she arrived and I was 5 months pregnant when I found out. You’re going to have to support yourself and your child, that is your job as the mother.

27 Likes

Not to sound rude, we all have different situations but you’re going to have a real and rude wake up call, quickly. A child is expensive…for 18 years and longer for college. Not only food/clothing/shelter but health insurance, daycare, sports, TIME, ect. You need to buck up and grow up quickly and now. Get a job that you can work full time and be there for your child. Save money, make sure you have all the necessities you and that baby need. Get a second job during pregnancy to supplement while you can bc you may not have that option later. There are resources but you can not count on those. Child support ordered doesn’t mean you’ll get it regularly and it doesn’t cover much. Check out all resources available. Make lists. Prepare prepare prepare.

17 Likes

Here’s my advice. Please I’m not trying to be rude okay but you probably need to get your own job and take care of the kid. The baby has to come before child support. You have to put the father down on the birth certificate usually they do a DNA test. File for food stamps or Medicaid and they go after the father for child support. Of course my girlfriend had to go to court for all that. Then the father can take you to court and try to go for 50/50 custody. That’s what happened to my girlfriend. Also child support is not guaranteed. Who is to say that this man is going to actually pay the child support instead of sitting in jail for it. I know so many men who would rather just sit in jail rather than pay the child support trust me. But then I know guys who do pay their child support. I know guys who pay the woman without a judge and child support being placed because they’re the father and they help the mother. I also know guys and girls who wrote out a letter and stood in front of the judge and said this is what he’s going to pay me every month or every week and this is how he is going to help me with the child and the judge is usually fine with stuff like that as long as the mother and father is and there you go. but most guys I know don’t do nothing like that because they don’t care. That’s sad to say but they don’t.

Single
Mom here. You bust your ass before baby comes
Pulling in extra hours so can provide for your child. Child support is not guaranteed based on his reported income it can be $40 , $200, anything a week. Do not depend on it when baby comes

7 Likes

Not until court ordered with proof of paternity.

6 Likes

Get a lawyer and go to court. May have to wait until a paternity test can be done

1 Like

How old are you anyway seriously birth control is everywhere the morning after pill ask the pharmacist how to get it for god sake sad but I really don’t think you’re ready for this hard work ahead if you

2 Likes

You are not entitled to child support, because you don’t have a child yet. Make a way for yourself, you ain’t gonna be able to depend on child support. You can apply for food stamps and WIC. Regardless, it’s your child and your responsibility.

14 Likes

Actually you can go apply for general relief your 2nd trimester and be eligible for pregnancy needs monthly payments until your child is born. This can help with purchasing your basic nursery needs for when your child arrives. Visit the local social service office in your county and see if your county offers this service.

6 Likes

You can get WIC while pregnant

4 Likes

Depends on where you live and what resources are in your area. But you will not receive any payments till child is born and may have to provehe is the father

Till then there should be some type of program you may qualify for. We cannot give you an exact answer as it depends on your Country and State or Province

You need to get a job to support your baby that is on the way or take the time to visit a pregnancy resource center and discuss your options. Child support will never be enough to completely provide for your child. It is the father’s job to provide half the support and could take years before you ever see a dime.

52 Likes

You should have gotten a job when you found out you were pregnant! That’s what’s mom’s do! Don’t depend on child support you haven’t even gotten yet.

You just think because your pregnant child support is going to just hit. You gotta give birth & establish paternity.

8 Likes

There should be resources around to help you just got to search and you can’t get child support before the baby is born anywhere it doesn’t matter where you live, the baby has to be born, and paternity determined unless the father doesn’t deny it, it’s a process. But if the father tries to be in the child’s life and you just don’t allow it unless the baby is truly in danger they probably won’t give it to you anyways. Father’s usually have to show that they aren’t going to be there and support the child. If he cares for the baby half the time they may not enforce it. There so much that goes into determining it but you have to provide your half to not just the father, saying you have nothing and that you need his money to get stuff is kind of unfair, it’s putting it all on him just like it shouldn’t be put all on you either. Have you tried telling him that either he needs to HELP (not get everything, cause he could use that against you if he ever fought for custody that you can’t provide with out his money) get the stuff or that you are going to file for it. Some men would rather provide the stuff then get put on paper work. I would rather my child have a father in its life half the time then try to take more just to get child support. Children deserve both parents if both parents are capable of being loving supportive parents.

First you have to wait for the baby to physically be here. If he does not sign the birth certificate. You will need to apply for c.s… once that happens he has two options. He can either sign stating that he knows he’s the dad, or not sign. If he doesn’t sign, a dna will be requested. Then you all will get a appt to get the dna test done. Once the results come in and show he is the father. You will get a date for mediation. If the both of you can’t come to agreement on the amount during mediation. Then you all will get a court date for it to be brought in front of the judge.
Those were the exact steps in my situation. I live in ky.
Neatless to say. From the day I filed child support, to the day we FINALLY had court. It took 1 full year from start to finish.
With that said. I don’t know your situation. however, do what you can to take care of the baby on your own from the start because it can be a very long process before you began receiving child support.
Get a different plan ‘a’ because it sounds as if child support is the only solution you are depending on. You will fall flat on your face if that’s the case. There are a lot of other resources that help single moms. Look and see what you can find. Best of luck and congratulations on the new baby :blush:

I believe in planned parenthood the old fashioned way. Marriage first then children.

26 Likes

Never ever depend on child support. Even court ordered they don’t pay. My daughter’s biological father is $60,000 behind and it doesn’t matter to him nor the state. Rely on yourself only. There are probably government programs in your area that can also help you. Sending support your way.

9 Likes

Put on your big girl mom panties cause he won’t help, I was married to my kids dad and he won’t pay his cs. I take care of 4 by my self. You got this. It don’t feel good and it’s unfair but mama’s got to do what mama’s gotta do.

27 Likes

Not to be rude But if you play your suppose to use protection the MAN will NOT it is the Girls responsibility NOT to GET PREGNANT!! This is what I was always thought: so are you old enough to work? Us there still time you can work before baby gets here? Do you live at home? Girl if you’re not to far along there are factory jobs that are hiring all over ever where you can tell them you need part time or full time till the baby factory personal are really nice if you go in with a good attitude, an tell them your cercomstances they just might have a area in a shop close to where you live that isn’t hard on you or the baby

I started working at 7months pregnant and saved every penny. You can’t say oh I’m pregnant give me money😅

7 Likes

You can apply for help at you local social services many places have online forms due to covid but there are programs to help you til the baby comes and paternity can be established

You can get wic and state Medicaid while pregnant. Wic often helps with car seats and a pack and play for baby

Gotta wait for the baby to come and do a paternity test. Research your area. There is usually always help for mothers who need it.

I believe you have to wait till the baby’s born to present the birth certificate with his name on it for proof that he is the father. If not, then he needs to take a paternity test so you have proof he is the father before you file for child support. But other than that, as far as he goes as being the father of your baby and bring a man, he should already have been helping support you out of his behalf from the beginning

You can apply to Medicide for yourself and your child.

There are many recourses available for you. Find local groups on Facebook. Churches. Call your local job and family.

Look into WIC.
I used it a few years ago. They help out with a certain amount of food per month. Milk, eggs, bread etc. even when you are pregnant.

Look at Once Upon a Child consignment shops, & yard sales, pregnancy centers, or social service agencies or health centers.

The question you ask about was child support for your baby for things the baby will need child support will most likely be after birth but check marketplace for items that mom’s pass on or check with goodwill and child services yard sales

But u can go to dshs and reciwve tanf to start getting the stuff u needed and once bis name is on birth certificate and he is the father and it is determined he have to pay back the state and everything not you in Washington

If this is your way of handling this situation. Put the baby up for adoption now. It doesn’t deserve you it deserves better.

1 Like

You have to have a date of birth and establish paternity. Either by marriage, father signing certificate, or dna test.

You have to have proof of paternity before going after the father for child support.

Once the baby is born n paternity test confirms the baby is his, only then will the courts consider child support. During pregnancy you apply for state assistance n get on medical card.

You have to give birth and get a court date etc.

People commenting “just get a job” have obviously never been pregnant and alone, therefore your opinion is pretty irrelevant

3 Likes

Apply for government assistance and start looking for work if you are not already employed. No matter what you will have to have a way to support yourself and your baby. Once the baby is born you can file with child support enforcement to establish a paternity and support order.

Look to friends and family…get a job…toss a baby shower…etc. File for Medicaid for you and baby plus Food Stamps and WIC for formula. Dont count on child support. Even if he is ordered to pay…he still may boy pay and it could be a year or so before court takes action against him for not paying. Use birth control in the future. Plus condoms for backup until married. Best way to do it . Aisle before a child.

You not gonna get any child support until there is a child to support. Right now you are all the support that baby needs.

When u go to court to get cs, if u have no expenses, u get less cs.

You’re don’t get child support until after the child is born. Then you have to file for it

And prove who the father i.

Why don’t you have a way of getting stuff for your baby? Why aren’t you working? Instead of relying on child support first, you should try some government assistance programs that can start sooner than before you give birth.

11 Likes

After child is born ,paternity established ,processed and all the paperwork done …then if he is working you might get child support …try county agencies for help …

Ird would go for child support from sperm donor years after her birth even though paternity was never disputed-reason being? A paternity order was never made… Don’t rely on anyone but yourself… It’s just you and baby now & remember when deciding to procreate, you cannot guarantee your children’s happiness :pleading_face::100: & you wouldn’t want them to go through an ounce of the hurt that you’ve had to endure :pray:all the best

Don’t you have programs where you live to take care of you and the baby. here it is called before baby, It is a welfare program. Go find out , there are programs in all states to help. but you have to go find them, go to social services. I am pretty sure you can’t get child support until after the baby is born.

U can’t get child support being pregnant. U gotta wait til u have it, get a DNA test for proof, then file for support. Get WIC and food stamps if u can’t work.

Try pregnancy center. Church groups.

1 Like

I went to court for my child support and I was entitled to $161 per month for my daughter LOL that doesn’t buy shit you can’t depend on Child Support you can’t just magically get lucky and expect to get $2000 a month for child support LOL you need to get a job there are hundreds of thousands of places that are very very easy to apply for a job right now and right now everywhere is hiring everywhere is offering more than they normally would per hour I was in a state last week that the minimum wage is only eight dollars per hour and McDonald’s is so short staffed there they’re paying people $16 per hour! That’s eight dollars over minimum wage in that state as a mother your job is to provide for your child whether they’re a piece of shit father is there or not you should never depend on Child Support to get what you need for your baby.

1 Like

If your in need of things check Facebook marketplace…sometimes there are things for free or really cheap. Also look into Facebook pages/groups that are in your local area that are free items.

1 Like

need a job. dad may never pay anything.

Zidonia DeAndre Mo Gure

1 Like

A job is a good place to start.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. https://answers.mamasuncut.com/t/when-can-i-start-getting-child-support/13359

Also you only “collect” child support if he PAYS child support. You have to file a claim and take him to court (takes about a year) and let a judge decide how much he has to pay and then it’s a matter of whether he DOES pay it or not. 60% of men ordered to pay child support - don’t. Gunna have to figure it out on your own mama. Child support doesn’t get you much if anything anyhow and good chance he won’t pay it so it’s gunna fall to you either way to figure out how to provide for your kid. There are plenty of resources out there, just gotta do a little work to find them.

Girl why did u keep it if- u know what nvm lmao

18 Likes

There is a teeside helps page as on there for stuff if your close to Middlesbrough and having a girl I maybe able to help xx

WIC offices have information on place that give out free diapers and stuff to people that need the help. Such as diapers, formula, and other baby things. There is also other organizations that help out mothers with baby things. Depending on where you live. I think it’s very courageous and brave of you to try to raise the kid you created! It’s a wonderful thing! Hope you guys have a wonderful happy life! Keep your head up!

2 Likes

There are these super nice people out there who will give you free child support checks every week! All you have to do is donate about 8 hours per day of your time to them about 5 times per week and you’re all set!

26 Likes

You probably have to prove he’s the father, so you might have to wait until baby is born. :disappointed:

4 Likes

When the baby is born. Not before.

Depending on where you live there are different laws. Some provinces/states require the child to be born as they will verify with a paternity test while others count the eligible time from the conception date. A majority will probably want the child to be born first as it is child support rather than pregnancy/foetus support.

2 Likes

I’ve never taken someone for child support I wouldn’t know

2 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. https://answers.mamasuncut.com/t/when-can-i-start-getting-child-support/13359

1 Like

That isn’t #parenting. That’s #golddigger status. Not all women but a lot think a kid is a free ticket. Makes me sick.

8 Likes

You can’t get money for a child that isn’t born yet. You’ll have to wait til bubs is born.

And Can I just say…. Without being labeled a nasty person, but as someone genuinely concerned …. if you can’t afford to get the things the baby needs now, how are you going to afford the necessities when the baby is born? I would be thinking long and hard …

62 Likes

Child support will tell you themselves that you cannot rely on the payment. You will be eligible for centrelink/benefits once your bub is born. If you have no income now maybe seek centrelink/benefits advice. Babys are expensive so it’s best to start planning financially for yourself and your baby now as like I said Child support is never a sure thing.

56 Likes

U cant even fill out the papers for that untill the baby is born. It will be easiest if you find another source of income because u cannot depend on child support. Even if there is a order it doesn’t mean he will pay it. You might as well except the fact that u are gonna be mom and dad and so ur gonna need to wrk twice as much or get a great paying job.

20 Likes

Looks like it’s up to you to step up and take care of that baby. Welcome to single mom life

73 Likes

Most counties in Wisconsin have pregnancy help centers. You basically go to classes and they give you free stuff. Churches, shelters etc do help no judgement. I was jobless while pregnant and had no way to and from a job plus day care for my oldest. I was lucky bc my county had w2 which basically gave me a monthly check for doing work in thrift stores or even applying for jobs. It was enough for my monthly bills plus to buy cheap used baby gear. It helps out to just look around at what you state county or country offers to single parents.

2 Likes

My ex husband has been assessed and only needs to pay $443 a year - thats $1.21 a day. And that’s for two children. Unfortunately you can’t rely on child support. Look in second hand shops and give away pages. All you need to start is a cot, mattress, car seat and some clothes. Layby is another great option. Zippay breaks payments down to $20 a fortnight so you could get everything you need at say Kmart then just pay it off until baby is born. Good luck with your pregnancy.

8 Likes

Did you get pregnant on purpose thinking the father will be paying child support from the get go and that’s going to provide everything you’ll need to raise a child?? If so, you’re delusional and too immature to be having a baby and should probably give this child up for adoption unless you’re going to get a couple jobs asap and start working your a** off and saving $$ which everyone pretty much knows that’s not a realistic dream in this situation.

20 Likes

Good luck! I spent over 80k fighting not worth it. Then my BFF was married for 17yrs and he doesn’t pay a dime in support he is 150k behind. They can pay $5.00 and get their license back in Florida and say they are trying. Get a job and never rely on a man for anything! They child has to be born and a paternity test has to be done. Walk away and never look back. Many women do that every day!

24 Likes

It was called “get a job” when I grew up.

23 Likes

I’m saying this in the most nice way possible but you need to get a job… I know it’s not always easy while being pregnant but it is necessary in your situation. Your going to have to rely on yourself… the child your expecting is going to be relying on you. I don’t know how child support works but I’m pretty sure its not an overnight process… I mean I could be wrong but I’m pretty sure it takes some time to get it sorted out. Right now everywhere is hiring take advantage of it.

11 Likes

Most cities have churches, programs etc that help mamas. I’m sorry you are in this situation. I wish I could help you. I am myself living in poverty (trust me it won’t always be like this, where you don’t have nothing) there’s fb groups that help with baby stuff. I think 211 can get you in the right direction as well.

Prayers & blessings :two_hearts::raised_hands:t3:

6 Likes

They have WIC in the US for pregnant women that can help you with groceries and such for yourself & the baby once it is born. You just have to apply for it online & go to all of the appointments. As far as things like diapers, clothes, etc there are a lot of organizations that collect items like that for women in your situation so I would just do a quick Google search to find some local to you.

8 Likes

why won’t people get a job before getting pregnant? and stop getting pregnant by “a father” She will have to go on welfare.

3 Likes

I am unbelievably disappointed in some of the awful comments left by some of you. The assumptions are ridiculous. A pregnant woman whose going through this process without a partner is just asking a simple question. If you can’t be helpful to someone who is clearly very stressed, then you need not speak! :woman_shrugging:t3:

I am not sure where you live, Mama, but where I am, 211 is a GREAT starting point to help find resources you need. I believe every state has the same thing, it just may not be “211.” For example, a neighboring state of ours is “411.” Maybe start there and find out what your resource center number is? Also, contact DCF; they can help with food items and other resources you need, as well! Sometimes they do applications right over the phone and you can be approved within minutes.

I sincerely hope you get the support you and your little one need and deserve, and I hope you can update us soon. Despite all of the negative people on here, there are still people (like me!) who will be wondering how you are! :heartpulse:

The best of luck to you!!! :muscle:t2::muscle:t2:

33 Likes

It’s unbelievable how hateful and mean some of you are.
Nobody knows something about this women.
She only asked a question, she don’t know the answer for.
Shame on everyone who instead of helping, judge her without knowing her situation.
If you can’t help her just scroll over it. Don’t be so hatful just because it’s on the internet and you don’t have to fear the consequent of your words.

29 Likes

Dang y’all are harsh. Who said she didn’t have a job. I never received a dime of child support in 15 years and thank god I never really needed it. Would it have been nice to have, yep. It’s takes two to make a baby and it definitely cost before the baby is born. Unfortunately like most have said you will have to wait for the baby to be born.

45 Likes

I only got $50 a week and that’s when he felt like helping so good luck and it took a year to get that started

3 Likes

You don’t get child support until you have the child

19 Likes

I’m sure she has a job. Ever heard of the working poor. And if she doesn’t, it’s not exactly east to get a job while pregnant :roll_eyes: Depending on where you live maybe you can get government help? Definitely apply for whatever you can. There are programs that will help you get a carseat, etc.

1 Like

I was a full time college student when I got pregnant. The father left when I was 10 weeks pregnant. I quit school and got a full time job and have been doing it on my own since. Child support isn’t guaranteed. It’s called “child” support for a reason. It’s not for you. I haven’t seen a penny from my daughters father. Do not rely on it. Apply for WIC that’ll give you food while pregnant and formula and baby food once baby is here. Try consignment shops and sell and swaps for cheap clothes and diaper deals. I started with nothing but I got a job and am doing it. If you can’t work now then I suggest get to work as soon as you heal after having the baby. You gotta do what you gotta do for your baby. There isn’t an excuse these days for a single mom.

12 Likes

Child support? The daddy is only partially obligated hunny. They calculate both your wages. My ex makes more and is 64% financially responsible for our daughter… I am responsible for making up the rest of that. I get $500 a month from him and don’t ask for a dime more! I bust my ass working night shift 40+ hrs per week to make sure she is provided for and has everything plus extra. I’ve had a blown motor in my car for 5 months now that I can’t afford to fix on top of my payment because her immediate needs come 1st and that’s my job as her Mom!

6 Likes

Frankly, I think if you live in a state where a fetus is protected from its “heartbeat” you should see an attorney about a suit for your right to collect child support from this moment as well.
Either way, go see legal aid about the process to demand support, as it takes time to enact the order in each state.
Finally, if you need baby things, there are some resources for moms to be. If you want to message me with the area you live in, I’m happy to help you find the agencies that can help.

18 Likes

Um…you cant get child support until paternity has been established. ie: blood test after birth, or his signature on a birth certificate. You may possibly be able to get some kind of back support order, after baby is born…but you’ll get nothing until after baby … . It has to be proven that the baby is biologically his to support. If it is. ( and he knew it) …then hes even a bigger d in the eyes of the court!

6 Likes

At 6 months you can get food stamps or ebt for you and your unborn child depending on income. As soon as you have a positive pregnancy test you can get WIC vouchers for food and medical or Medicare for you depending on your income. You should check with local churches, 211, and other community organizations that help pregnant women with maternity clothing and supplies for the child once you hit your third trimester. If you’re no longer able to work due to your pregnancy reach out to your doctor and you can go on state disability for maximum of one year if you’ve paid into it

12 Likes

My first pregnancy wasn’t planned, and I could not stay with the father. There are programs. Wic will help while you’re pregnant, and once the baby is born in case you choose to formula feed. You can also get medicaid. Once the baby is born you will have to go through ors to get child support, but it doesnt help much they keep almost half for “fee’s”. Apply for housing assistance now, the waiting lists are ridiculous. Get a job, and then you can get assistance for child care. It really sucks to have to do, but there are so many programs that can help you, and help you find resources for diapers and things like that. Slowly you will be able to drop each assistance program as your child gets older, and you qualify for better jobs. Get into a trade or vocational program that pays well. BLS.gov offers alot of info on fast growing career fields, how much money they make, and what sort of education you need to get into the field. Don’t go into specialized programs, they’re expensive and offer the same degrees as community colleges that are often less than half the price. This is all the things I used to eventually get on my feet. Hopefully you can too. Good luck. It is going to be hard, but that baby will be worth it. :two_hearts:

10 Likes

The comments on here are disgusting! As a WOMAN & MOTHER who does work (currently 7 months pregnant) I’m truly ashamed. Nothing like tearing other women down to make yourselves feel POWERFUL. She simply can’t afford everything her baby needs at this point in time, instead of being rude, heartless and distasteful, why don’t you point her in the direction of help?? Smh.

35 Likes

First off never rely on a man…secondly the baby has to be born in order to get child support started…at least where I live yes.

11 Likes

Y’all are really mean damn… she’s trying to figure out her situation I’m sure a lot of y’all moms didn’t have your shit perfect from the moment of conception

8 Likes

Just because you file for it don’t mean he well pay a dime. Then you gotta go back to court just to make him. Could take years before you we’ll see anything. Just my experience!

6 Likes

Unless you were raped, in which case I sympathise and you should disregard the rest of my comment, there is no need in this day and age for you to have got pregnant.
If you believe your contraception has failed go and get the morning after pill from any pharmacy for a small cost.
If you think you can’t afford that, just think how much it will cost to support and provide for a child until they are 18 years old…
If you’re sensible there is usually no need for abortions, because you do not use abortion in place of contraception. The morning after pill is for that. But in the first instance: condoms, the pill, an IUD, or a combination of the pill/an IUD with condoms. It is really not that hard to not be pregnant in this day and age. Take some responsibility.

10 Likes

In the nicest way , if you didn’t have a job before you got pregnant you should have gotten one upon immediately finding out . Once your showing employers are less likely to hire you because they know it’s only a matter of time before you’ll be off on maternity leave. I’m sorry but how did you think you were going to provide for this child at all if you have no way of getting money for necessities? You cannot receive child support while pregnant , and once the baby is born it’s a process to have everything put into place. Look for any type of assistance that can be offered to you , look for freebies and anything used for baby . But you’ll need to start figuring out a plan because even once baby is born that child support will not be guaranteed. Good luck

8 Likes

Not to be harsh but why can’t you get the necessary items yet? Is the pregnancy a difficult one for you? Can you not work? I personally worked through my whole pregnancies up until delivery. Maybe I was lucky but hey, who am I to judge?

8 Likes

When the baby is born and paternity is established.

5 Likes