When can I start getting child support?

Not until after the baby is born.

First you have to give birth , then do a paternity test , then go from there !

2 Likes

Sounds like welfare to me, :thinking:

1 Like

Some of y’all do realize that there are such things as high-risk pregnancies right? And just because some people can work while pregnant doesn’t mean others can. With my second child I was able to work but I was told light duty. This is my third pregnancy and I was told absolutely no working, pretty much bed rest. So get a job is not always possible y’all. Or she could have a job and maybe it’s just not enough. I see nowhere in this post where she says whether or not she has a job or whether or not she’s medically able to work. I was a single mother for my first two kids and thank God that this third one has a wonderful daddy that’s helping me raise my other two. The first two were planned the dad just bailed afterwards. Sometimes things don’t go as planned and being a single mother is hard. And one person should not be solely responsible for a child that two people made. I’m sorry for all the judgmental comments you’re getting girl.

8 Likes

You have to wait until the baby is born for any child support from the father the only thing you can do now is apply for foodstamps and wic…at your next doctor’s appointment ask if they have any info about places that possibly help with diapers and etc which u still may not get until after the baby is born u can even ask the hospital for carseat assistance contact your local health department they can point you in the right direction…the place you apply for foodstamps at should also offer cash assistance like ktap until u get child support started

4 Likes

You can’t until the baby is born

1 Like

Maybe she has a job and it takes everything she makes to make it, leaving no extra for the things she needs for the baby. He absolutely should be helping you now and from here on out. Check with a place (if they have it) called starfish for some of your needs for the baby and yourself.

2 Likes

After the dna tedt if needed

1 Like

It’s wild seeing pro-birthers not right for pregnancy support.

10 Likes

You don’t. That’s not something you get it till the baby is born. And even then it’s not a guaranteed payment every month. Cause the guy has to be working and actually update child support so it gets taken out of his checks or he calls and makes the payments himself.
I suggest finding a job unless your doctor has labeled you high risk and you can’t.

3 Likes

Get a job. I get extenuating circumstances but you can’t completely rely on him. Having a baby is a lot more expensive than this part I promise, if you can’t afford to slowly buy things how do you expect to afford the baby once it’s here? You need to be working on securing income that isn’t related to him.

11 Likes

After the child is born

1 Like

You can’t get child support until you provide a baby to test or in Iowa if they sign the birth certificate that is the same as accepting paternity.

But really, honestly, don’t bank on him paying it. Dont depend on him paying for you to provide the things your baby will need. You’re going to need things right away and won’t be able to wait for child support to be granted.
Are you working now? If so great, if not… well, either way- utilize Facebook. Does your local city have a pay it forward Facebook page? Or even on your page, post that you are in need of some baby things cheap or for free. There are tons of people with baby stuff laying around that they are not using anymore and would be be happy to unload it! You’ll be surprised.
Sign up for WIC, you can do that when you are pregnant, they will give you cereal, veggies, beans and peanut butter, all kinds of healthy things but most importantly they will give you milk and formula! A friend of mine was able to get a new car seat through WIC. This is different than food stamps.

Also, girl have a baby shower!

9 Likes

Pregnancy is expensive and unfortunately, no matter how ridiculous it is, Child Support doesn’t cover their unborn child. I would look into local resources that help pregnant mothers. There are a ton in my area. They may have you take parenting classes and such to earn points to spend in their stores. The classes are great and you can often get used maternity clothes through many of these programs too. Also apply through your local DHHS for any help you may qualify for. I am not sure about ADC. It may or may not cover pregnancy. I’m just not familiar with the program. You should be eligible for WIC right away and maybe food stamps? Also be sure to look for stores that sell used maternity and baby items. You can often buy nice, gently used items there. Some carry furniture and toys and car seats too! Their stock is always changing so be sure to check often. There are also some programs that help pregnant Moms get a car seat (to bring Baby home and get to those important first Doctors’ visits) and some will help with diapers too. If you’re income is low and you need assistance it is out there but it is intentionally difficult to find and to utilize for whatever reason. Just try not to be easily discouraged. Sometimes it’s like you are being punished for being the parent that actually cares for your child and sticks around to raise them. Being a single parent isn’t easy but it isn’t uncommon anymore either. There are people who genuinely care and programs to help, you’ll just have to put in a ton of extra effort.

2 Likes

Ummm. You don’t get child support when you’re pregnant. The courts have to establish paternity to prove he’s the father first before they consider granting child support. If you don’t have his support now you’re SOL and need to figure something else out until then

2 Likes

Baby needs to be born to establish who the father is (DNA Test) Then go from there. Best of luck.

1 Like

Get a job! Do NOT depend on child support. Putting him on child support doesn’t mean you will get it. Men don’t pay all the time. Baby’s coming time to get a job.

12 Likes

Look into pregnancy resource centers. They can help with cribs blankets diapers ect or local churches and food pantries

1 Like

After the child born, then take him to court for a paternity hearing, then the judge will order a DNA test, so yes, it is NOT anyways process and by then the baby will be around or maybe over 6 months.

If you are married you can file spousal abandonment I’ve never done this but I know it can be done. So I’ve heard, but the father doesn’t have to support you while you are pregnant.

Between birth and a year usually depending on the process and if he fights it, if a paternity test is needed etc. Covid is slowing down dhs and the courts right now. I suggest getting a decent job asap because child support won’t pay for everything you need for baby.

There mite be a church or other resources that’ll help you before the baby is born. Otherwise… work if you can, don’t depend on any man to take care of you.

5 Likes

The child support system can take a long period of time before payments start coming in, if at all. Call your local DHS & health department to see what they can help you with! Also join some groups in your community because there may be programs or some people who might be willing to offer help!

Lol … if you need support now you shouldn’t be having a child :woman_facepalming:t3:

10 Likes

You get child support when there is a child to support lol

9 Likes

Plot twist. The guy she is going after aint the daddy! :rofl::rofl:

7 Likes

When the child is born… it’s child support not foetus support… :rofl:

14 Likes

The judge will order a paternity test first ! Then you have to prove his income and that can be very tricky in some cases !

You shouldn’t of gotten pregnant then :woman_facepalming: your going to need to learn to handle your shit ASAP. Unfortunately not being rude but you should learn you NEVER RELY on a MAN!!! Ever!
Or don’t have baby’s if you can’t do it alone.
Don’t get me wrong it takes two but that’s not how it works sometimes. My oldest is 4 and never once have I took his father to court for money, nor have I gotten a dime. Nor asked! Sometimes you learn to handle it alone. I’m sorry! But life isn’t what we expect. Hope you teach your child never rely on someone to support them or their child.

1 Like

When it’s born I think

Childsupport is for children!!! Have a child first and Get a job. Are you gonna rely on that childsupport for rest of the kids life now? SMH. There are plenty of pregnant women who work. Stop relying on men to support you. There are plenty other resources available for you.

16 Likes

Child support is not guaranteed. Period. And many times, it’s minimal. $50 a week
You need to get to a pregnancy resource center asap, and depending on how far along you are, a job resource center or a DSS employment program… like yesterday.

4 Likes

why should tax payers pay for your irasponsablity get a job

4 Likes

Prob need some sort of ‘proof’ dear.:ok_hand:t5::+1:t5:
Otherwise women would just be out here doing the MOST with men and who they claim is the father :unamused::unamused:
:rofl::rofl:honeyyyy, SO many menz would be on cs :joy::joy::joy::bangbang:

Gotta have that swab of dna…h3ll you might be able to collect baby’s dna while still carrying tho,:thinking::thinking: these doctors are clever nowadays.:joy::ok_hand:t5::+1:t5:

They get more expensive, not cheaper once they come. I’ll never understand having baby’s you can’t afford.

10 Likes

After your kid is born you can

3 Likes

It’s child support, not fetus support - there needs to be a child born, birth certificate issued then you go to domestic relations and file to establish paternity and then child support.

11 Likes

I filed at 8 month pregnant and listed my due date as her birth date.

Took them 45 days to get us a court date and by then she was born.

Children support and full custody was granted.

6 Likes

Well here’s a few questions first. Is the dad going to be in the picture? Is he going to support the child on his own? Is he going to have custody as well? Is he going to financially help with his child if he takes care of the baby?. If he is going to be in the childs life and have custody than there is no reason for you to get child support from him. You only need it if he is going to be a dead beat. You need to get a job and figure out how to take care of your baby yourself. You shouldn’t put him on child support just because you it’s easier

11 Likes

You’ll need to have the baby, then petition the courts to establish paternity , custody and child support. But there are programs in most all states that can help you medically and food wise while you are pregnant. Go to your local DEFACS office and apply for whatever assistance they may provide if your not wanting or willing to get a job and do it on your on.
Here’s a heads up for you.
A man just got 50/50 custody with his home being primary residence and each parent responsible for necessaries when the child is with them… no money either way… child has been with daddy since March, mother hardly ever sees the baby or even makes an effort.

3 Likes

Omg these comments are just disappointing!

5 Likes

After baby is born. DNA test if he’s not gonna sign the birth certificate after that you can as for child support. But he might change his mind after baby is born to support the baby

Maybe try getting a job lol. This child is your responsibility too, not just his… there’s no reason you can’t work and buy yourself the things you need to care for your baby. If that’s an issue maybe adoption is your best bet and giving this child the life it deserves.

28 Likes

You have to establish dna proof for child support…

My oldest is 25 and I’m owed about 26 thousand. My other is 21 and I’m owed about 13 thousand. Good luck with trying to get support for a pre-child.

5 Likes

Not until after the child is born. If the dad wants to prolong it, he can request a paternity test. My suggestion would be thrift stores or handme downs. Good luck.

5 Likes

After the paternity has been confirmed. Also please get a job. Child support is highly abused by the party receiving the child support. If you can do it on your own. Please do.

8 Likes

Are you incapable of working?

15 Likes

I don’t know where you are from but you can get food stamps and medicaid and the cash option with department of human services. I did when I struggled. Don’t listen to these negative people omg smh good luck.

6 Likes

I don’t know why people are being so mean to you on here. If you want to have this baby YOU CAN DO IT! You will find a way. It is true not to rely on these sperm donor. Are you able to get state assistance? They should automatically try to get cold support for you. Also they should be able to help with daycare food and cash. Someday when your on your feet maybe you can help someone else in your shoes too. Good luck sweetie… just love that baby!

Well why sleep with a dead beat # 1 ,and u can’t get any support till baby born, if u knew u could not afford a child shuda been on birth control

16 Likes

Well if you have no help from the father now, there is a high probability he will not pay or be able to pay a child support ruling later. I would suggest looking at other options and not count on support until you get the check.

1 Like

File for cash assistance through the state and they will automatically get you started with the child support once you have the baby. You won’t have to pay any of the fees if you would have done it through the court.

3 Likes

These comments make me feel so bad for this person. Maybe she was with him and something happened and they aren’t together anymore. Maybe she can’t medical work right now. Maybe she was working before. She isn’t asking for handouts just for help with a child that this man help create. People should try using a little more compassion now a days before they automatically stick the knife in and twist it. Remember the old saying you never know someone’s struggle till you have walked a mile on their shoes.

29 Likes

my personal experience with child support in Arizona (not sure where your from)…
I filed for child support 6/2019 which was a month after my son was born. The father didn’t sign the acknowledgment of paternity (usually paperwork filled out at hospital after birth) therefore a court ordered DNA test to establish paternity needed to be done. In order to do that my case worker had to send my case to the attorney general and finally 12/2020 the DNA test was done on all three of us and he came back as the father. We had court 3/2021 and he didn’t turn in his financials so they extended the court date to 7/2021 where the child support order was finally put into place and judge ordered it to be withdrawn by his employer from his paycheck each pay period. His employer got the income withholding order the middle of 8/2021 and I still haven’t received anything.

In the end i suggest getting a job and if that’s not possible then look into the options available to you through your state for assistance.

You should NEVER depend on child support as an income because it’s never guaranteed (if he quits his job, gets fired etc) and could take months to years before you see a dime of it. I filed 6/2019 and the order was issued 7/2021 but I still haven’t received a dime and I’m not waiting around for it either. I have a job and go without so my boys can have what they need.

6 Likes

Good Grief some of you people really lack a heart i swear. Your judgement day is coming as well. We should all be so perfect! Laughing fools! Heartless people with perfect lives!!! It cost ZERO CENTS TO BE KIND!!!

16 Likes

Our community has a Facebook page where people give to others. See if there’s one in your area that can help with your needs until you start getting help. There are many resources out there that will help you. Good luck and God Bless you!

5 Likes

Ummmm is this really a question?? Get off your ass and get a job? Child support is for the CHILD…it’s not “baby mama support”.

Um, how about get a job.

Because you can’t get it until paternity is confirmed & that is IF the father of this child will pay child support.

7 Likes

You don’t get child support until the baby is born. You also have to do a DNA test if he doesn’t sign the birth certificate.

1 Like

You can’t receive cash assistance or food assistance until your child is physically born… if your baby daddy has a job child support will come right for his check and there’s a form to file if he works under the table

1 Like

Look into WIC. They can help provide you food while pregnant and once the baby is born up until age 5.Other than that I’d see if there was a place in your area that helps women in your situation.

1 Like

Not until the child is born

Get dna done asap after babys born. Because takes a minute for courts to order child support. Get on welfare if he wont help you. You didnt make a baby by yourself.

2 Likes

After that baby comes out :joy:🤷

3 Likes

Getting knocked up ain’t a free ride.

10 Likes

Child support doesn’t start till baby is born and most of the time it has to happen through court. The court process could take a few months to years. Could you not get a job till baby is born or some sort of social assistance

Work and make money. Don’t wait on the man to provide for you.

15 Likes

Well shud of thought about that before u opened now tax payers will suffer for your mistake or is it a mistske

6 Likes

A Facebook group for your area. Just ask if anyone is selling or giving away baby items for a struggling mumma to be with no support. Some people are willing to help or have stuff to donate, leftovers that were going to a second hand/op shop.

2 Likes

Not until child is born, you file with the court, paternity is proven and ordered by the court. It can take months

3 Likes

Don’t depend on a man for money boss up and get that bag yourself girl.

12 Likes

hell i didn’t start getting child support for my twins till they were about 21 years old. me n him split when the kids were 4. i did it all on my own…. paid my house note. car note. power bill. car ins. food. etc. i worked while i was pregnant and afterwards.

5 Likes

Check into wic and fold stamps talk to your doctor/ obgyn they should have suggestions on how to help

1 Like

Women care centers will help with diapers and some baby stuff

1 Like

Temporary cash assistance

Should have thought about that before deciding to have/ keep the baby??

29 Likes

Not till it’s born :woman_facepalming:t2:

2 Likes

Friends and family throw a baby shower…. I hope you’re working and have a place to live because babies are not cheap, apply for wic immediately… get all the help you can get.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure you can’t get child support until the baby is born and you have a DNA test to prove paternity and then they set you up with it… At least I think anyway…

1 Like

Damn this chick said “man, I’m tired of working imma have a baby” boom, gets pregnant. Newly pregnant “yo where’s child support ay?” Hahah it doesn’t work that way. You shouldn’t want it to work that way either.

It amazes me-hand out expected the moment she decides to have a child-welcome to the real world-no sympathy, at all.

16 Likes

U want help but u want everyone else to help no get your ass out there n get a job support yur baby run n get on welfare so the people that work have to pay for it if I couldn’t pay for it shouldn’t off opened your legs guess it’s not fun now ha

Child support won’t come till after the baby is born and paternity proven by DNA and it has to be court ordered. Welcome to reality and get a job you’re on your own

9 Likes

You can’t get child support when you’re still pregnant. The baby needs to be born first. You could file for it and they will start it when the baby is born.

Why did you choose him😳

2 Likes

My girl doesn’t have a father in her life as he walked when I fell pregnant, my family lawyer said its not worth putting them on birth certificate if you don’t talk as he needs to agree to schooling, being taken outta country, signature for passports or major surgeries. Not worth it girl, just try make do on your own as much as you can

8 Likes

Well said Aimee Grantham🤗

1 Like

If you are on state assistance, they should push the child support through quickly. If you are low income, I believe they have many resources for pregnant woman.

1 Like

You might qualify for spousal support if you lived with him well pregnant but if not just start applying for your state benefits and child support get your case started it’s does take awhile for everything to process so when the baby get here you have everything set

Um you don’t get child support unless it’s court ordered and the child has to be born for that to apply!
Unless you’re talking about a benefit then the baby still has to be born before payments start!!

That’s how it is in New Zealand anyways

Nope it’s not worth the headache

Its to support the child after borth… u wont from him but yah there are agencys that will help… WIC, 211 just some

1 Like

Why have a child you can’t afford/support?!?! This boils my blood!!! People having kids with the expectation of someone else paying for it!
Not financially stable to have a baby…then don’t!!!

28 Likes

My son is 22 and I’m still waiting… … …

2 Likes

After the child is born …

3 Likes

Smh damn…you already ready to run to the child support office and the baby hasnt even been born.No wonder he not around you sound like a selfish b**ch! Atleast give him a chance to show he can n will take care of his child when its born.Right now he doesn’t even have proof its his…

You can not get child support until after the baby is born. Once the baby is born then you have to file paperwork to get a support hearing. Once you go to your hearing if the father does not claim the child then you will have to wait until a DNA test is done. Once the paternity is established then they will look at what the fathers income and expenses are and they will take a percentage of his income to give to you for the baby. If he does not have a job they will most likely put him on a work search program which means it could very well be over a year until you receive any type of financial help. I know it takes 2 to make a baby and he is equally responsible but it sounds to me that you are expecting him to provide everything. Maybe you should have thought about not being able to afford a child before you laid down and had sex.

It all depends on your state. I filed for child support 1 year after my son was born. No DNA test was required because he signed the birth certificate and they told me that he’s had a year to contest it, but didn’t.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. https://answers.mamasuncut.com/t/when-can-i-start-getting-child-support/13359

1 Like