When can toddlers sleep with blankets?

When is it okay for toddlers to start sleepign with blankets? i know babies cant but when can they?

32 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. When can toddlers sleep with blankets? - Mamas Uncut

Not till over a year old

1 year old at the earliest

When they can roll front to back on their own and pull things off their face.

6 Likes

Mine always has…. He’s only 5 1/2 months old….

10 Likes

My daughter has slept with a blanket since she was born. But that’s because she could roll over. It’s whenever they can roll over.

5 Likes

Mine started right before their second birthday

1 Like

My kids have always slept with a blanket. My daughter started rolling over at 3 weeks old.

2 Likes

We let our daughter just before she turned two.

Age 1 at the earliest. It increases the risk of injury/ death

All of mine have always had a blanket since birth :woman_shrugging:

9 Likes

I’ve got three kids and each one had one since birth my youngest is 7 weeks old you just have to actually watch your children come on people.:woman_facepalming:t3:

7 Likes

They say after a year. Mine had it sooner

I just let our 2 year olds start sleeping with blankets and pillows. We switched them from cribs to toddler beds at that same time. We watched them extremely close for a couple weeks to make sure they were doing okay with them…

1 Like

Mines been sleeping with one since he was born. All my kids have

5 Likes

Neither of my kids would sleep without one from birth. I know it’s not recommended but my babies would lay awake all night screaming if they didn’t get a blanket

1 Like

Sids mom here be careful mommas ! I lost my baby Jan 17th 2021 due to blankets in his bed.

2 Likes

Age 1 or when they have good mobility and strength to roll over, sit up, and pull things off their face.

1 Like

It’s more about what they can do then age. I didn’t let my daughter have 1 in bed until she could cover and uncover herself at about 10 months

1 Like

The recommended age is 1 year at the earliest.
Now obviously opinions vary greatly between parents. During the day I let mine snuggle with a blanket before 1 when they’re within eyesight. At night it was by their feet so I could keep us both snuggly warm while nursing. After one I let them have a blanket at all times. :woman_shrugging:t3:

My girls slept with blankets since birth. We live in a cold house :house:

4 Likes

My kids always had a blanket.

1 Like

They also make heart and breathing monitors for babies to alert you if they were to have an issue, if your baby really can’t sleep without a blanket.

Mine started at like 11 months she had a plush like the head with the tiny blanket attached. She’s 4 now and still obsessed with it. Thank god I bought 5 of them at the time.

2 Likes

I used the sleep sac for the first year then switched to a blanket

1 Like

I think a year is what our child’s pediatrician said.

My daughter is currently 15m adjusted and still no blanket. I have tried giving her one but once she scoots out of it she doesn’t know really how to put it back on her. I would try practicing before trusting them alone with it to see if they understand the concept of having a blanket. Like when they’re awake you can put it over their lap while they’re sitting and see if they can take it off and put it back on. Once you’re confident they understand how they work then they can use it.

I think a year n a half is fine. You just don’t want to use blankets when they are baby babies because if the blanket slips over their face they aren’t strong enough to pull the blanket down.

All my babies slept with blankets since birth up. This is crazy

5 Likes

Really they say once kids can remove the blanket from their faces themselves. If your child is able to move it off themselves with intent they are fine to use one. My almost 11 month old has a crib blanket (not a regular small blanket but a specific blanket made smaller than the crib) and uses it only when it’s cold and I know she’s okay because she pulls it up when she wants it and shoves it down by her feet when she doesn’t. When we first started with it we took it away for a little longer and got her use to them in her playpen first with supervision because she’d bunch it up by her face. It’s all about what your child is capable of safety wise. If they are unable to safely sleep with a blanket then don’t use one.

1 Like

I started giving mine blankets when they were to big for wearable blankets. Usually around 18 months.

My sons had one since birth and still has the same blanket . He is almost 3 now and won’t sleep without it

1 Like

My kids always had at least receiving blankets since newborns, but thicker blankets weren’t until probably closer to 2 years. They always kicked them off of themselves anyways.

2 Likes

All of my children have been sleeping with blankets since birth🤷🏼‍♀️ I know it can be dangerous, but it worked for us.

2 Likes

My daughter has had one since she was born. That being said, since then I have seen many stories about children being harmed because they have a blanket in their bed. You dont just have to worry about them suffocating, as it can get wrapped around their neck (while they wiggle & roll around) and cause asphyxiation. With my 6 month old, we use a fleece sleep sack at night! It keeps him plenty warm. He does like having a “blanket” to rub on his face when he is first falling asleep so I got him a small security blanket that has a little stuffed animal head on it. It’s small enough so that it wouldn’t be able to go around his neck or get stuck on his face. And then before I go to bed, I take the security blanket out of his bed.

Mine don’t like sleeping with blankets yet

My babies have always had blankets. Legit, always. Newborns on. They are now 11&9. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Safely around one. They make wearable blankets.

I never did until about 1.5. I was so nervous. It’s your kid so do what you think is right but also know the risk involved

My kids have always slept with blankets, from birth till now at age 3 and 1.

My two slept under a blanket since they where born

1 Like

Sleepsacks are way better.
Toddlers can’t keep blankets on and wake up because they are cold.
My kids are: 7, 5, 22mo and start using small blankets around 2, but also keep sleepsacks until closer to 3

SIDS & suffocation risk/safety wise the answer would be 18mo.
But they just can’t keep them on that young

1 Like

Since birth (well once we left the hospital cause the nurses were like no!) But uh yeah if swaddle them then cover them from mid-tummy down on really cold nights. On ok nights of just swaddled them. Once they were out of the swaddle I covered them with a small blanket

My almost 15 month old has always slept with a blanket, ofc a sleeper at first while being a newborn, but until she started rolling, she has to sleep with her favorite thin blanket, her crib is facing towards her baby camera so I can see her whole body and face, and never any problems or scares.

Most crib manuals say for safety there should be nothing in the crib, so not until they’ve been moved to a toddler bed. We used zipadee zip sleep sacks.

1 Like

I’m in this program that helps first time moms and I talk to a nurse she told me at 1 their body’s would know if they’re suffocating and they would be able to move the blanket, my son has slept with one since 6 months because he likes to cover his eyes

1 Like

I live in nz , all of my babies , My nieces and nephews and my self and siblings have all slept with blankets since birth

5 Likes

If u use a blanket it needs to be airtext design

I’d rather use baby sleeping bags till 18 months then use a light blanket from there till about 2 or 2&a half then onto a light toddler bedding set

1 Like

my son has slept with a blanket since birth. then a toddler duvet and pillow at 1.5.

1 Like

My son (4 now) always had a blanket from newborn on. I would give him his blankie to sleep and then when I went to bed and supervise anymore I would take the blanket out of his crib. I let him start keeping his blankie when he was like 13 or 14 months old but I get up like 4 or 5 times thru a 8 hour night so I would always check on him and adjust the blankie if need be. Still do it now and he’s 4 lol

1 Like

Join Safe Sleep and Baby Care – Evidence Based Support there’s so much bad info in this comment thread.

3 Likes

When your kid has control over their head and can roll.

4 Likes

I know they’re not supposed to sleep with blankets but both my kids have slept with light blankets since birth.

2 Likes

When they can lift their head with ease and roll with ease.

2 Likes

Footed blanket sleepers are safest, keep baby warm and no danger of suffocating

1 Like

My babies have all slept with blankets since birth. I just tuck it in around the crib edges so it can’t come up over their heads.

1 Like

I can’t imagine my life without my son’s blankie
Hes a little over a year but he loves that thing

My guy just turned two and has one… he ends up kicking it off but :woman_shrugging:t2:

I didn’t know they couldn’t.

Mine has had a blanket since birth. I would swaddle him snuggly with a blanket until he was to the point where he would get his arms free or kick it off. Then he had his sleep sack. But even with his sleep sack on colder nights I put a light blanket over him and because we have a fan on low at all times when he’s sleeping. Having a fan on and that air circulation cuts the risk of sids down by 72%.

3 Likes

Both my kids loved blankets and I know you’re not supposed to but they bother slept with theirs at night and to this day my son drags his blankey around

1 Like

I wouldn’t risk it until they are old enough to pull it on or off on their own

Use sleep sacs if you think they baby needs to be warmer. Please don’t use blankets until 18+ months. It’s not worth the risk of them suffocating.

3 Likes

My kiddo decided at right around 18 months. She took a pillow and blanket and went.

My son has been sleeping with blankets since birth. He also started sleeping on his tummy early on as well. Never had an issue at all. He also has been using a pillow for months.

1 Like

All my kids had blankets from the day they were born. Even while in the hospital

1 Like

Mine always had a blanket .
Not a mountain of them but being in northern Canada it’s def a necessity for like 9 mos of the year :joy:

2 Likes

My babies have slept with blankets since birth but I’m a paranoid mother so I’m up all night checking on them and it mainly covers their feet only

2 Likes

One years old is the recommended age

1 Like

We gave our twins blanket and pillow at 2 one likes it and one doesn’t :thinking:

My 2 year old has had his blankie almost since birth. But, around 1 or so when they say a thin blanket can start being used same with pillows, I believe.

Once my daughter grew out of the sleepsacks

My son was given a very soft and silky blanket his grandma gave him when he was 2. It fit a twin size bed. He loved that blanket and had it until it fell apart, like 10 years later lol

From birth already also depending on how u swaddle baby safely, but otherwise to be safe from age 1

Mine always had blankets. My youngest has a comfort blanket and won’t sleep without it.

3 Likes

Why cant babies sleep with blankets?

1 Like

My son has been sleeping with a blanket since birth and has not had any problems I check in him constantly through the night if he doesn’t wake up to eat but I sleep with at least one fan in in my room some times two depending on the weather that night cuz I do get very hot and I don’t want him cold

2 Likes

My kids had receiving blankets from birth. When they were about 18 months I let them have a regular crib blanket. We were living in an old house with poor insulation and it was cold. I think as long as the child is old enough to pull the blanket away from their face, they should be able to have a blanket.

1 Like

A year old, or whenever they are able to manipulate small blankets. There’s little stuffed animals with TINY rag size blankets on them for infants, and 1’ sized blankets for 6 months or so when they’re being watched. I could never get my daughters blankets out of her hands after she was no longer being swaddled. I’d just give her the smallest ones to fall asleep with and took them away when I went to bed until she was a year old. Now she’s almost 2 and has like 5 blankets on her bed half the time because she can’t decide which one she wants lol

I get paid over $ 125 per hour w0rking from home. I never thought l’d be able to do it but my colleague makes over $ 20123 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is limitless.
M0re Info. https://glowing-cheesecake-22348.netlify.app/

I believe the official recommendation is at 1 year, but as long as they are old enough to roll, move crawl and stand up it’s most likely safe. Mine both had blankets by 5 or 6 months.

1 Like

I’m old school. Mine slept on their tummy , had cot quilts from birth and were never swaddled …shock horror I know lol.
Pretty sure blankets are OK just make sure they’re long enough to tuck in at the bottom of the crib and have no holes /loose threads that may trap little fingers

7 Likes

My daughter always had blankets I always felt it was unnatural for her to lay with nothing

1 Like

When they have a reaction to not breathing. Usually around 8 months but some Dr’s say to wait until age 1.

I’m wondering the same about a pillow.

1 Like

My daughter slept with a blanket since day one and she’s 7 months now. She can’t sleep without one

I had no idea there was even an recommended age. All of mine slept with blankets from day one :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

My son has had a blanket since 3 month old because he hated being swaddled

1 Like

I feel like it’s dependent on the child my sons just started using blankets at 18 months only because it’s started to get to cold not to… I think the recommended age isn’t until 2 or 3 but you as a parent know your child better then anyone and if you think you child is ready then they probably are, as long as they can take the blanket of if it falls over their head

Mine has had blankets from day 1

1 Like

All of mine did from birth… I didn’t think I was normal. I always get cold so I assumed they definitely would lol

3 Likes

My daughter has slept with a blanket since about 3 months. She broke free from the swaddle every single wake up, switched to a blanket and she slept through the night.

1 Like

I used a knitted blanket (so there are holes for breathing/ airflow) since day one

Our babies slept with blankets and pillows

Safe sleep recommendations say one year. As a licensed childcare provider in Washington state, we can’t use blankets until they are one.

I think 2 because that is when sids risk goes down tremendously however depending on your child and your doc or any complications if any the sids risk may last longer. I’m sure the majority of us used blankets and coddlers from the time they was born. It really just depends on your fear and instincts. If that makes any sense

Mine slept with their blankets, dragged them around all day and fussed when their favorite was in the wash! :smiley:

2 Likes

My son starting sleeping with one about a month or so ago. He is 9.5months. He sleeps so much better with a blanket and a stuffy to cuddle! My daughter always slept with one her whole life. She is 10 years old.

1 Like

When did this become a thing?:hushed: My kids slept with blankets, comforters since birth. My Grandson has been sleeping with big soft cozy blankets since birth and he’s a year old now. I’ve never heard of this, my Mom has 5 of us kids and neither has she :laughing:

5 Likes