When can you get your tubes tied after pregnancy?

This question was submitted anonymously by real people looking for real advice. Please be mindful with your responses. No bashing or derogatory comments will be tolerated.

46 Likes

Just one thing. Check and see if your doc has any age restrictions. Some doctors won’t touch you if you arent a certain age. They have a hang up about that. My daughter in law requested getting her tubes tied and her doctor refused. Said she was too young to make that decision. She was in her early twenties and knew that she did not want to have kids. So watch out for those mysoginistic “we know your body better than you do jerks.”

15 Likes

TAlk to your ob gyn doctor. My were tied during csection. My daughters the day after she delivered. The procedure is different now. They are tied an ends are cauterized(burned) to shut the tube so even IF it came untied eggs cannot enter. I was 30 with one pregnancy she was 29 with 2.

It was worst thing I ever did want to add I’m still having health issues 24 yrs later maybe going for surgery number 7 if it ends up being one surgry not multiple like that last one

3 Likes

I literally had mine done the next day before I left the hospital. They would have done it at the same time but he was not a c-section.

15 Likes

My doctor tied my tubes right after my daughter was born. I told him not to. But my husband said yes. It was 52 years ago and they were done before I knew it !

9 Likes

I had mine done a couple weeks after. Only because the hospital I delivered at was catholic and they don’t believe in birth control, so I had to reach out to another Doctor at a different hospital :blush:

2 Likes

Immediately after birth or 6 weeks later. Highly suggest right after birth, recoup time when you wait sucks especially if you don’t have a partner ready and willing to step up to help.

I had mine done at 30 years old after my third child right there on the operating room table after my c-section. Never looked back. It was a great decision for me

I had mine done on the table right after they pulled my son out (he was a c section baby that was already planned as a c section due to why I had to have a c section with his brother) honestly though if I could go back and change it I would. Think long and very hard about that choice before you commit.

2 Likes

I had a regular delivery and tubes tied the next day. After 3 we had the family we wanted so it was the best decision I ever made!

44 years ago my daughter was born via c-section and the doctor tied my tubes right after.

16 Likes

Just remember there is a small percentage of tubal procedures done in the immediate post delivery period that do fail. They fail because the tubes are swollen from pregnancy and the rings they use fall off occasionally in the following years. It is only a small percentage mind you but it does happen. I am a firm believer that men should get snipped it is literally a 20 minute procedure and doesn’t involve the risk of anesthesia and surgery. Literally it takes longer for the local to work than it does to do the procedure and they are up and mobile the next day no pun intended.

8 Likes

I had a csection and they tied my tubes while I was open. Asked about it half way through my pregnancy and my OBGYN respected my decision.

4 Likes

Wait !! Why not have the husband have a vasectomy ? Only 20 min. procedure not painful and go home right away and go about business .

3 Likes

If you have a C-section, I believe the doctor can tie them right then. I had my tubes removed during my c-section because my fourth and last was it for us. I now have 2boys and 2 girls.
Talk with your Doctor.

6 Likes

My dr is making me wait 9 weeks after delivery because his technique is reversible. Also, his primary hospital is catholic so he has privileges to do them at another hospital.

My daughter was born on May 20 1980 (Mt st helen) Dr did the tube tying that day. When he came to check on me he laughed saying he would look at me not the tv this time. (Watching the eruption)

1 Like

I got mine tied right after I had my 3rd baby, my last 2 were c sections so they just did it while I was already open. That was 9 years ago, and soon after I realized I did it for all the wrong reasons and regret doing it.

I had to be 25. By then I had 4 kids and they did it the day after my youngest was born

Same day as 3rd was born. They left the epidural in and just went from labor delivery to surgery.

30 Days if it’s a Vaginal Birth 8 weeks if C-Section. Some hospitals will perform surgery in 24 hours after Vaginal Birth. Some will do while the cut is still open from C-Section. It’s a easy surgery

I had mine tied immediately after my daughter was born. She was born c-section and they did it right after delivering her.

I got mine removed when my youngest was 7. I was 37. When they are removed it lowers your risk of cancer.

During my c-section was when mine got done. Total stay in hospital was 24 hrs.

2 Likes

I was wheeled into surgery after giving birth after my fifth child. It didn’t happen though because I spiked a fever.

1 Like

Mine were done right after my daughter was born via c-section 29 years ago

My good friend just had a baby Wednesday and she was told she can have her tubes tied in 6 weeks

It depends i got mine down 6 weeks after but my sister in law got her at time of birth due to her having c-section

Right after they rip it out for the last time

Depends on your doctor and insurance. can be done immediately after a vaginal birth or the next day.

1 Like

Had natural childbirth and got it done the next day.

I had to wait 6 weeks and it was my 4th child that was 8 years ago

1 Like

Once my son was born like 30mins later they wheeled me down to get them tied

I did, my doctor, told me he cut and tied and burn them. I was about 21. 2 kids a boy and a girl was all I needed.

I had my tubes tied 3 hours after my daughter was born. I was 25 years old. This was baby number 2 and it was 1983.

They should be able to do it almost immediately.

I was 36, c-section, and tubes tied. No more babies for me.

I had mine done when I had my last csection

My daughter got hers done right after they delivered her 3rd child by C-section.

My son was a natural birth and mine were done the next day.

You already suffered 9 month’s of pregnancy then childbirth. Make him do it. It’s his turn

I had mine tied the second my baby was delivered via c-section.

1 Like

I had my son may 1 and had my surgery may 31st. It was an insurance requirement to wait 4 weeks.

My twins just tied them on their way out.

1 Like

Most doctors won’t do it until you are 25 and Catholic hospitals won’t do it.

As soon as my daughter was born they took me down like 10 min afterwards and tied mine . She was baby # 3 and I was 27 & I stayed a day longer in the hospital because of the tubal surgery no biggie ! Regular delivery also no c section

I had my tubes tied the day of the birth of my last child. Some 30 years ago.

Mine wouldn’t do mine, cause I only had the one. So I just did it last year 15 years later

Right after delivery must be area fed before hand with doctor

If during a c-section, same time. Vaginal delivery, typically next morning.

1 Like

They took my tubes out after i had my daughter by csection

My fourth child was born at 11:30pm I was on the operating table by 7:30am the next day.

1 Like

Right away–demand it if you want it! No need for return 2nd insurance bill!!

I had 3 children and they were natural births 0ne day after the birth of my 3rd child I was fixed.

I had regular birth then the morning after tubes tied

had mine done the day after natural birth they were cut and burn and i was 26 year’s old

I had mine the next day after giving birth naturally

2 Likes

I had mine done a year after giving birth to my son. My doctor questioned my decision but did the procedure anyway.

It can be done right after giving birth while you are still in the hospital.

Had my son at 11:00 pm was in surgery by 8:00am the next morning!

If it is a Medicaid backed insurance in NYS you must sign the consent a minimum of 45 days before delivery and it is good for 120 days after signing. You also must be 21 to have a tubal ligation. I know cases of the doctors doing them under 21 but it was when the mom had underlying conditions that would have killed her if she was to get pregnant again. The reasons for the waiting period are many but the biggest is the doctors want you to be absolutely 100% sure that you are done. If you decide down the road you want it reversed many insurance companies will not pay for reversal and it is extremely expensive out of pocket.

I had mine tied the morning after my youngest was born.

I just had my son 8 months ago. I had him at 9:30 am and was in surgery having my tubes removed at 11 am.

I had a normal delivery and my tubes were tied as soon as I delivered

I got mine tied 4 months after my son was born

I’m old school, know burning any more! I’m hearing everyone saying tied again or is this the same thing! Just asking!

How was the recovery having straight after C section?. I’m thinking of doing the same thing after this baby.

After three children or a certain age

Mine was done right after delivery on the same table, 34 yrs ago

6 months here if you only have 1 other child. Wanted to get past sids time

6 wks . after giving birth but you can’t do anything until you go back to have you’re tubes tied… Can’t do it if you become pregnant before you go back to Hosp. Better get it in schedule with you’re Dr.

I had it done the same day I had my daughter cuz I had to have a c-section

3 Likes

I had my tubes tied right after my third baby was born, I was 26 in 1983

I did mine after 2 years having my son

You have to have the tubes Cut and Tied. If they are only tied they can come undone.

Check with your insurance if I wanted to have the procedure it had to be 1 day after delivery

According to my niece before youeave the hospital. I think she had them tied the day after she gave birth.

They told my daughter in law 8 weeks

I had mine done an hour and a half after I had my 3rd child

I had it done just hours after my son was born.

2 Likes

I had just after giving birth to 3rd child

I had mine tied the next day.

Had a natural birth in the evening and by noon the next day had been in the OR and had them tied.

I had mine right after my daughter was born via c-section, they tied them.

1 Like

I had mine after second child’s birth. No wait.

After i gave birthed to my second son

1 Like

Had mine done during my c section.

2 Likes

I had tied 6 weeks after

I had my done right after I gave birth to my daughter

1 Like

Had mine done a couple hours after a vaginal birth.

2 Likes

They did mine directly after my c section before they closed me up.

2 Likes

I had a c-section so they did it while in there

1 Like

I had mine done right after C section. It was my 4th baby and I was done.

I had mine after the Dr took the baby.

2 Likes

Got mine done right after birth.

I had mine done right after I gave birth.

Had mine done right after the c section

Mine was done the next day after birth of my son

6 weeks if vaginal delivery