When did your child stop sleeping in your bed?

My son is 6 and is still welcome, he just started staying in his bed. But I still put him to sleep, I’m not forcing him to grow up. My daughters are 11 and 13 and will gladly sleep with me too and still ask for sleep overs. You’re going to miss it when they’re gone and grown. Enjoy it. Don’t treat it as a burden

2 Likes

I never allowed my kids to sleep in my bed. If they were scared, I’ll or just finding it difficult to sleep, I would get in their bed with them and tell them I’d stay until they fell asleep. It helped them feel safe in their own beds and they never asked to get in mine.

10 Likes

My son is also 5. I lay with him in his bed until he falls asleep. If he crawls into our bed we let him stay. He will decide when he is ready to sleep alone :purple_heart:

1 Like

He will eventually get to an age when it’s no longer cool to cuddle/hug mom. Let him stay. He is a child and he gets comfort from being close to you. This will help him know that he can count on you to be there for him always. My 17 year old son still comes in and lays on the foot of my bed to tell me how work went.

8 Likes

My 5 year old does the same. And I don’t mind it.

One of these days will be the last day he crawls into my bed and I won’t realize it until later and so I cherish it now. It’s harmless and clearly he feels most comfortable with you.

If it isn’t interfering with your sleep, then don’t worry about it. They are only little once.

Edit: my 8 year old son will ask occasionally to sleep in my room and we make a movie/sleepover night out of it. I’m also a single mom so I have no qualms about it. Again, they’re only little once and for such a brief time at that.

12 Likes

I worried about the same problem some 30 years ago. My son came into our bed if not every night, close to every night at some point until he was eight or nine. I questioned myself continuously at the time, he actually came in occasionally until 10. He is today a 32-year-old healthy,and independent man.

7 Likes

Everybody has their own opinions about this, but they are only children for such a short time, cuddle with them, rub their backs till they fall asleep. This lets them know that they are loved and cherished, and makes a memory that will last a lifetime. They will outgrow you soon enough.

5 Likes

My almost 8 year old daughter still does this. I fought it for a while then realize its not going to last forever so I’m just taking it in while I can. Someday I’ll miss it. Her dad and i went through a divorce about a year ago. I’m thinking she is afraid I will leave her, too, like her dad left.

2 Likes

My kids never have and never will sleep in my bed. They have their own and that’s my and my husbands space.

6 Likes

My youngest daughter is 5 years old and she doesn’t sleep in my bed. We put her in her own room and her own big girl bed. But she has a full size bed with a blanket that she picked and sleeps with it as a security. Some children are different with security that means you need to find what you think or he thinks best to sleep with. Something of yours like a shirt or something to let him know your there. And put something soft music or even a cuddle with him in his own bed until he is asleep. Put a night light also in there

2 Likes

Every last one of my children slept in my bed. The first two were six and eight before they left and slept in a room together… My third one is 10 and just started sleeping in his own bed and my five-year-old is still in my bed. I loved every last second of it and I wouldn’t trade it for the world. My older two are now 19 and 17 and I miss them being little and snuggling with me. If it doesn’t bother you let them sleep in your bed as long as they want to. You will miss it one day.

3 Likes

My son is 10 and will sleep in my bed every now and then. I know he won’t be like this for ever and I so I take advantage of it. My 12 year old has maybe slept in my room one time in the last year and that was because he fell asleep watching a movie.

3 Likes

My daughter is almost 7 and still sometimes asks to sleep in my bed or comes over and climbs in during the night. They won’t always be little and want their mama snuggles. He will grow out of it.

2 Likes

My son just turned 11 and just stopped sleeping in our bed.
I think it just depends on what your child needs to feel safe.
Eventually they will feel safe enough to sleep in another room.
We did have unusual circumstances.
His bio dad and I were divorced. He was abusive and died recently.
My current husband always understood that my son had panic attacks and needed to be close to me to be safe. It was never a problem.

1 Like

My son was about 12 when he stopped wanting to sleep with me. He’s 20, in the Navy, and I wish everyday he was little again and wanted to sleep with me.

2 Likes

Place a mat bed on floor and have him sleep there. It wont be as comfortable as your bed and he will go back to his bed. That only happens on weekends because everyone needs a good nights sleep for school and work.

2 Likes

One of my three sons wanted to sleep with grandma or mom and dad until he was 5. One of the others stopped like at 4. My youngest he is 8 and still once in a while wants to sleep with us. It depends on the child and how long u keep saying yes to them getting in bed with you.

2 Likes

Put him back in his bed. Try a night light in his room or something to comfort him if he wakes up in the middle of the night…my main advice is break it now! At 5 it is still kinda cute and you don’t want to tell him no…but mine is older than 5 and i wish i would have told myself that and stuck to it! It’s harder to break when they get older.

2 Likes

I bought a sleeping bag that my kids loved and kept them next to my bed. When they came in we spread the sleeping bag out and the laid down I rubbed their back and they went to sleep. Each kid picked out their special bag. It worked great!

2 Likes

My sister had a child that wanted to sleep with her. She put a small bed near hers then kept moving it farther away but still in sight until the child was comfortable in her own room.

2 Likes

We are raising grand kids one set of twin boys one would sleep all night and the other one would wake up in the middle of the night so my husband told me we should put him in our bed against my better judgement I said ok so he did sleep all night right between me and my husband after awhile he started kicking my husband in the back well who’s fault was that lol my husband passed away and I finally got him out of my bed at age 5 I would not start it not a good ideal

1 Like

My oldest stopped at 4-5. My middle is 4 and will also to every so often, my youngest doesn’t want any kind of bed time snuggles. Enjoy every single second. It breaks my
Heart the days are gone they need mommy to lay next to them :cry:

2 Likes

Everyone is going to have a different opinion on this. My daughter would crawl in our bed and sometimes we’d let her stay. Most of the time she’d ask me to lay down in her room with her. This went off and on. Sometimes she’d be fine on her own a month or so then it would start again. Shes almost 12 now and it’s been a couple months now since she has asked me to stay in her room. Most kids out grow it on their own. Sometimes you just need to ask them why they can’t sleep alone and keep reassuring them they are safe. I don’t feel that there is an issue with it personally.

1 Like

I’ve always been completely against cosleeping but my child has never slept good so she ended up sleeping with me because its the only way she slept… if possible I suggestion snuggles at bedtime then if he comes back during the night, take him back to his bed…

3 Likes

Mine never slept in my bed. They had their own beds and their own rooms.

2 Likes

They are only little for a short time, he will stop when he is ready

2 Likes

He’s not going to be 16 sleeping with you. If he is them maybe then you should make sure he’s ok…
My son was 7 when he started sleeping in his own bed after sleeping with me since day 1. He’s 10 now and to be honest there are nights I miss him being small and snuggling with me. Instead he’s 10 and he hugs me throughout the day, everyday, but beside that I’m lucky if he grabs my hand still in the parking lot for a few seconds before he realizes he’s holding my hand! Treasure these days. They grow up so fast. :heart:

I have 3 kids that are all grown up now. I never let them sleep with me, but I would take them back 2 there beds & stay with them until they fell asleep

2 Likes

My husband and I put 2 queen beds together a couple years ago. Sometimes we wake up together alone. Sometimes we wake up with all one two or three Wonderbutts, 8, 6, almost 2, sprawled around us. Either way is lovely.

1 Like

My boys were sleep trained to sleep in their own crib from day 1. The 8 year old asks to go to bed sometimes. He has never slept in my bed. His little brother that is almost 2 sleeps in his own bed. Sleep training works if you do it from birth. I work crazy hours so it would never of worked to co sleep.

I have 4 children and none slept with us, unless they were not feeling well, however I see you’re in a different situation, however he needs to understand when your boyfriend comes over he need to be in his own bed. If he doesn’t mind then I think there’s not really a problem but If he throws fit and doesn’t listen then there’s a problem.

My daughter is 5 and never even gets out of bed. She never asks or wants to. She gets a little scared of power goes out but I just lay with her for a bit and she’s fine. My 13 year old twin boys were the same. Never got out of bed until I came and got them in the am. Do what you want but I would put him back in his bed.

My boys always slept in their own beds but my daughter slept with me until she was three i had a heck of a time because she would always come to my bed in the middle of the night and i would have to take her back to her own. It took a few weeks before she gave up and just stayed in her bed. I dont know that there is a wrong or right way but i do know i wish i still had all those snuggles.

My oldest had a terrible habit of showing up in the middle of the night to get in our bed. It got so out of hand that when we moved (he was in kindergarten), we lied and told him our new bed was not big enough and he wouldn’t be allowed to sleep with us in the new house. So he would drag his comforter in and sleep on the floor :weary:. When our 2nd son was born, we never let him sleep with us and he never asked to. I felt bad but he never seemed to mind.

You’re kids will always want to be close to you. You are their safety. Every child is different. Don’t push it away, but don’t enable it to a never ending pattern. Every parent knows their own child, and what to do by their family.

My boy was around 8 before he regularly slept in his bed. He always started in his own bed every night and by morning was in mine. The rule was as long as you don’t wake me up, you can stay ( I work full time so need uninterrupted sleep to function well). It became less and less over the following years. He’s now 11 and came into my bed one night but didn’t stay as my room was too hot. He’s not been back in to sleep since. It may seem like they will never leave your bed and you won’t truly believe when everyone says they will eventually stop. But they do.

Some years ago some parents were doing this so I asked our Dr at the clinic about it. He had come from a different culture as child. he said,” it’s nothing” just let, so I said it’s good to know. He felt that we mothers don’t give our children enough closeness always pushing them away. Hmmm maybe there something in that… him sleep. We do . Our children sleep next to us on mats.

2 Likes

I don’t see why not. My son is 4 turning 5 soon. I know he will grow out of it but for now it’s not a problem at all. He goes to sleep in his own bed but most nights/early morning he will crawl into my bed just to be next to me. I see nothing wrong with it as he is just looking for comfort and security. Hold him tight, and as long as you set some boundaries, ( sounds like you already have :+1:t3::grin:) it will be ok. I think you are doing fine. Do what is best for you and what works well. Take care mama you are doing just fine. :hugs::sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart:

My 4 year old sleeps in her bed in her room with her older sister but ones in a while she’ll come to my bed but I take her right back. She’s a kicker and tries to kick me off the bed. If she wasn’t a kicker I would leave her in bed with us but she kicks my back real bad.

Let him be he will grow out of it when he’s ready. They are little for a short time and adults forever

1 Like

I have 3 adult daughters, 18,20,23. The younger two still live at home and the oldest lives with her husband an hour away. The younger two will still come get in bed with me if they’re having a rough night. If they’re hurt (broken bones) or are sick (high fever) my husband (yes bio dad) will sleep in their bed or on the floor and make them sleep with me… they all still love daddy hugs. And will sometimes go into the bedroom when my husband is asleep and lay on the bed next to him to talk…
My husband and I are both pretty close with our children. Always have been. And our kids are open with us as well

I remember my daughter wanted to sleep with me every night when she was about 10. Never verbalized a reason why but I assumed she just needed that closeness and security. Wasn’t an issue for me . She eventually went back to her bedroom. Glad I was able to be there for her. :sparkling_heart:

They never out hrow it. My daughter is 10 and hates being alone in another room. So I either have little brother sleep in same room. Or put her in the livingroom. My 1 year old sleeps in bed with us also.

1 Like

I have a 9 yr old boy with a bed room and Xbox in that room and still wants to sleep with me it’s comfort for him and I will never deny him, I’ll cuddle him till he’s 50 esp with the yr + more my poor guy has gone thru

1 Like

My kids never really slept in our bed. Only when they were sick. We didn’t want to be one to the parents who dealing with that issue so we made sure to keep them in their own beds. It was tough though but it all worked out.

1 Like

When my son was younger he hated sleeping in his room so I would let him sleep In my bed with dad and I’d sleep in his bed. Weird thing is, I couldn’t sleep in his room either! When we moved into our new home he had no issues! Not sure if our old house was haunted but it sure felt like it was.

I think he should be encourage to sleep in his own bed-unless you are aware of some upset. He wakes up to go into your bed and this disrupts his sleep and yours. Why does he wake up in the first place? Does he have to go to the bathroom or has his bed gotten cold. Your bed would be so nice and warm. I would suggest that you have him go to the bathroom and then go back to his own bed. Does he have a special blanket he can cuddle with or a favorite stuffy? That might help. It is nice to have someone to cuddle up against. My dog is there for that!

I thought my first born would never sleep in his own room. Now, at 7, he does all night, every night. My 4 year old daughter finally just started falling asleep in her own room but still crawls in in the middle of the night. My 2.5 year old who has NEVER slept in our bed just started crawling in :joy:. I have no advice but it’s whatever you’re comfortable with. I don’t really mind personally nor does my husband but if it affects your sleep etc then take him back. They will stop, I never thought I’d see the day my oldest son didn’t want to be in there with us but here we are. Good luck!!

1 Like

My daughter is 4 and she does the same thing. Sometimes she cries if I tell her to sleep in her bed but I think shes just scared she has slept in the bed with me since she was s baby so its hard.

When I was little I would sleep on the floor next to my parents bed, it was comforting for me, especially with lightning outside made me feel so scared!!

My oldest daughter slept with us until she was 6. My youngest daughter until she was 3. And my son my youngest was 5 or 6. We put then in their own bed and they climbed in on their own. We had nights all 3 were in bed with us . Every night we put them in their bed eventually they stopped on their own. My babies I love them . Now their 22, 19 and 16.

when my boy was 4 or 5 he would go to sleep in his own bed but wake up during the night and crawl in bed with us. When I finally banned him from our bed, I would wake up to find him asleep on the floor beside my bed with the comforter off his bed…I felt like such a rotten parent. I would wake him up in the morning from on the floor and finally he out grew it after a few months

Treasure the time, he will outgrow it soon enough. Then you’ll miss his cuddles. Now grandkids ages 1-7 sleep with me when they stay over night. The 3 yr old granddaughter prefers to sleep with great-grandma(my mom) when she stays the night here. My mom is 81, has 40 grandkids and 42 great-grandkids. Lil Kya has her wrapped around her finger. Mom lives with me and I babysit grandkids fulltime.

Daily? All 3 stopped around 13 but still will sleep in my bed if allowed… boys stay longer than girls my daughter wanted space at 11 my 13 year old boy is mad he can’t cuddle anymore and if my bed was big enough my 19 yr old son would come crash too some days

Once both my kids wanted to sleep in my bed there literally was no room so I started reading to them outside of their room for about an hour or told stories so they could both hear me. It worked and sometimes I miss it because it helped me sleep also

My son would ask to sleep with me I til he was about 14. He’s 15 now and I miss having our occasional “sleep over”. He will stop when it is time. Enjoy his snuggles while they last!!

My parents are both over 70, if and when I am to old to sleep with them. I’m sure they will let me know.
My boy’s are over 30. As far as I am concerned, they will never be to old to snuggle up with me.

My youngest stopped crawling in bed with me when he turned 7 :frowning: So now I have a 6 month old…guess I missed the baby snuggles :heartpulse:

When I was going through my divorce from her mother, my daughter (5 yrs old at the time) was always wanting to sleep with me. I finally just said that Saturday mornings would be the time she could come crawl in bed with me, but all other times she had to stay in her own bed. This prevailed even after I remarried, (fortunately, my new wife didn’t mind, she had become quite close to my daughter and it was every other Saturday). My daughter would set her alarm for 3:30am on Saturday, get up and come crawl in with us. This went on till she was 10, then it petered out. I found that when it petered out, I missed it…

My son is now 28 years old, when he was around 6, I told him you have two choices sleep in your bed or in my room on the floor only and after he got tired of the floor he slept in his own bed, took some time, but he eventually stayed in his own bed.

My daughter who is 10 sleeps in bed with me every now and again. Sometimes for a few days straight and sometimes she doesn’t ask to sleep with me for a few weeks. My husband works 3rd so I let her sleep with me. I think sometimes she just wants that little extra attention she gets when we both fall asleep together. I go to bed on the earlier side like 8 or 9 so it works for us.

1 Like

Nobody will like my answer but my daughter is 11 and she is still in our bedroom. She sleeps on her own bed but her anxiety is horrible. So she just needs that comfort

My husband travelled a lot for work. My son would sleep with me when Dad was gone. He stopped on his own when he was around 9. My daughter never wanted to sleep with anyone.

My son was 3 1/2 I got him to stop by making it uncomfortable for him by making him sleep on the floor. After a couple days he could sleep on my floor but without a blanket, then no pillow and finally he stayed in his own bed. I let it be his choice and it made Sunday mornings when he was allowed to join me in my bed it make it even more special.

My 3 year old only climbs into my bed when either her white noise shuts off and she wakes up or if it’s chilly in her room. Maybe there’s something on his mind? Small kids have big feelings and don’t always know how to handle them.

I told my boys to bring their pillow and blanket and sleep on our floor. If they were sick then they could sleep with us. They eventually went to their beds!! I grew up that way!!!

My third son came in the middle of the night and got in bed with us until he was 9 years old. One day he just stopped coming…

Let him sleep with you as much as he needs too. He will grow to be a big boy don’t rush him. You are his security and his greatest love.

My daughter slept in her bed and occasionally asked to sleep with us until my husband died (she was 10) the next year she was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Her sugar drops rapidly for no reason in the middle of the night. She is afraid she will get low and “not wake up“. She’s just turned 16 and she sleeps with me every night.

It’s just a stage. Many kids do that and it’s ok. He will outgrow it , I promise!

My brother stopped sleeping in my moms bed at 9 he still likes to get hugs and cuddles during the day tho he is a mamas boy he will be 11 in 2 months

Bring him back. If he’s afraid of dark get a night light. If it’s under his bed do a through exhaustive search before bed.

1 Like

We made a “bed” of blankets on the floor for my daughter who was 3 at the time, she used it twice and didn’t sleep with us or our room again.

My kids are 14 and 8. They still crawl into bed with me. Someday they won’t do let him for as long as he wants.

My kids stopped around age 8. I never told them that they couldn’t sleep with me nor did I take them back to their own beds. They stopped on their own.

Does it bother you? If not then let him sleep there when he wakes up. He won’t be in his 20s climbing in your bed. He’s only 5. All of mine slept in my bed at times. My 7 and 9 year old no longer do, they stopped about 5 and 7. My 4 year old climbs in sometimes but I’m sure she’ll outgrow it soon too.

My oldest would crawl into bed with me once his dad would leave to work . I didn’t mind . I let him cuddle with me . Once he was 5 he quit doing it and honestly I missed our cuddle time . Love it while it last kids grow up so fast :cry::heart:

For the last 2 generations the kids have slept with Nanny and Papaw. Our daughter slept in her own bed but when grandsons came along they slept with us or mom until they were almost teens. Now the great granddaughters sleep with Nanny and Papaw so who’s to say when it is time for them to sleep in their own beds. The 14 year old will sleep in a room for her when she wants too. The soon to be 8 yo Twins has to sleep with Nanny, one on each side me and my Cap in the middle. When they about a year and stayed one was at the top of my head and I laid on my side so the other could lay across my belly. And don’t dare try to sneak out they were awake in a flash

My children only slept in my bed when they were sick. But other then that they slept in their own beds since they were newborns.

1 Like

All of my kids co-slept with me until they were around 6. I loved the snuggles!! I had to make them start sleeping in their own rooms. I would lay with each of them until they fell asleep and then went to my bed… They would still come to my bed in the middle of the night. They eventually started sleeping all night in their own beds. I’m surprised there aren’t more co-sleeping parents commenting!!

Your child wont be like that forever, you should cherish that moment.

1 Like

My oldest, hardly ever. My youngest had night terrors among other issues and did until almost her teens. As long as you are ok with it, he is probably needing closeness with you.

My oldest was 3 yrs old, but WE were scared of crib death bc I lost a baby at 38 weeks the year before. Then I was expecting again. I told him he had to stay in his bed bc he was kicking his brother in my tummy. Then after my youngest was 6 we divorced & he slept with me for about 6 months after that back to his own room.

Just keep putting him in his bed and tell him he’s not allowed to sleep in your bed or tell him you have 5 minutes and you have to go back to your bed but you have to mean it

The saying goes say what you mean and mean what you say and don’t give in

I don’t know what it hurts for them to sleep with us. They leave us too soon anyway.

My grandson did this at home but not with us. Come to find out, he is just more comfy in a queen bed.

1 Like

Never! First of all it’s dangerous to co sleep with an infant. Kid’s need structure but they also need their parents to stay together. Putting a child in between the parents is a dangerous game. I’ve known so many parents that allow co sleeping and the child would not ever want to go to his bed. They also couldn’t go out on a date because the child would not sleep unless the parents went to bed with them. It drives a wedge in a marriage/relationship.

Back to his bed. Be consistent. Be firm. He will get the message and you will see good results. They need to be independently sleeping by this time.

No one can tell you when your child is to old. That has to be a choice you make. All my kids sleep in their beds and always have. But from time to time they would sleep with me when my husband was out of town. My grandkids sleep with us when they come over. My step daughter 31 years old slept in my bed with me when her dad was in the hospital.

He’s only 5, let him, pretty soon he’ll be off to college, time flies

1 Like

I don’t know how you moms do it. I couldn’t have my 3.5 year old sleep with me with how much she kicks and moves. She’s never slept with us though, she prefers her own bed in a dark room for some reason she hates night light

1 Like

Stop NOW!! This child needs to sleep in his own bed. Would never let a child sleep w/ a sleepover boyfriend in my bed. Time to teach independence!!!

I never let them in our bed. I would soothe them in their ebd if they had a bad dream. If they were ill, I lay down in their bed. We thought it was a bad habit to start and have to break.

We never started that. They always slept in thier own beds.

When you change the rule to he goes on floor in your room

1 Like

Enjoy his toddler days. You will probably miss them when they grow old and not wanting you around anymore. Never stop giving your “mommy warmth”. I was like you when my kid is 2 to 4 years old. Now he is 5? He doesnt want me putting him to sleep. So cherish it.

My son is almost 7 and sleeps with me every night. I gave up trying to move him. I use to try and lay with him in his bed till he fell asleep but no 2 am he was always back in my bed. It’s just me and he’s the baby of 4. My 9 year old daughter also ends up in my bed with us a lot. I’m considering just caving and getting a king size lol

My son is 5 and still gets in bed with us. We don’t mind, we actually love it. Some day he won’t want to cuddle with us.

1 Like

I fought my son at about 6/7 I am so sorry I did they will grow out of it.

Nothing worse than being afraid. He will out grow it, probably when he starts having friends stay over.