When do babies start holding their own bottle?

My mom made a comment because my 8 month old wasnt holding their own bottle and she said that i needed to make him do it and stop letting him be lazy…but he has no interest…should he be holding it by now?

39 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. When do babies start holding their own bottle?

Usually like 4-5 months

2 Likes

Yes he should be holding it

3 Likes

My son just turned a year and only just recently started holding his bottle on his own. Sure he could do it when he was 6mos or so, but he preferred that I hold it for him during feedings. Now that he is eating solid foods, he prefers to hold his own bottle. I’d tell your mom to not worry about it. Enjoy the extra cuddle while feeding while you can. They will be independent and grown before you know it!

5 Likes

If you see holding him to feed every time, he’ll let you do it.

Every baby does things on thier own time when they are ready. Yes you should be showing him how. But if he doesn’t do it he’s not ready it’s that simple.

9 Likes

He is a baby … They’re not lazy :joy:. Babies learn all at different paces and each one will do things when it is convenient for THEM !!! There is NO universal time frame for when babies do things and don’t allow anyone to make you feel that there is. You will also get to the point where they don’t need you and that’s going to suck more so enjoy every moment that they do mama because it goes too damn fast.

All babies are different working on my 4th …ignore her let the baby do it when it’s his time …

5 Likes

Every baby is different & learns things on their own time. He likely just isnt ready to.

7 Likes

I remember my boys holding their cups around 9 months.

3 Likes

He definitely should be doing it himself.

At my sons 1 year appointment he still wasn’t holding his bottle so we were referred to early intervention, the next day he started holding it :woman_facepalming:t3::woman_facepalming:t3:

2 Likes

My 3 girls held there bottles about 4mths old

1 Like

My son started roughly around 4 months… id say a little behind but every baby is different .

1 Like

What’s the rush? Unless it’s inconvenient, I wouldn’t worry. Children grow and learn in their own time, they’ll be independent before you know it :heavy_heart_exclamation:

4 Likes

My baby has been able to hold his own bottle since about 3 months but literally refuses too… :woman_facepalming:t3::woman_shrugging:t3: he’s 10 months old now…

2 Likes

My son was holding his at 6m but my daughter was like 10m and at a year still is lazy when it comes to her milk. Doesn’t mean he can’t learn. He could just like you doing it for him :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

Every child is different. My boy started holding his around 6months but my little girl started at 10months.
Don’t let your mom try to tell you how to raise your child. There’s nothing wrong with your baby.
Kids are all so different you can’t put them all on the same timeline.🫶🏽

5 Likes

My girl is 1 and still not holding her own bottle , she will hold it to play with but she has severly reduced trunk and arm weakness due to her spina bifida and brain abnormalities x but keep going they will get there eventually babys are not programmed to do stuff at certain timed xx

1 Like

He’s fine. If he’s use to you holding it that’s fine. That’s not laziness that’s comfort. All babies are different. If he’s meeting all his other milestones I wouldn’t worry.

2 Likes

My daughter weaned off her bottlem around that time. And my son was a bit longer. They both were using cups and straws to start with when they started food around 6-7 months

8 months old can’t be lazy :woman_facepalming:

1 Like

Usually they are holding their own bottle by 2 1/2 to 3 months…but all kids are different. They are eating finger foods by 6 or 7 months…that would be even more coordination. But some don’t do that til around 9 months…all kids are different

2 Likes

What a nasty grandmother how can you say that about your grandson every baby is different no baby should be judged on how fast or slow they develop they all shine in their own ways :purple_heart:

3 Likes

All babies are different. Unless you’re concerned with other factors I wouldn’t read too much into it. My youngest could hold her bottle at 4 months but refused. Babies just soak up love and affection and bonding moments. Feeding is a bonding time, whether on a bottle or breast. Enjoy it! You will miss it!!

1 Like

Baby will hold it when he or she is ready. Heck my 8month old can hold his own bottle but he chooses not to, enjoy the extra needy stage before it’s long gone.

1 Like

My first boy was 3-4months when he started holding his. My lo now is almost 4 months and can hold his own bottle, but chooses not to lol your baby is fine, as long as cognitive / physical milestones are met. Holding his own bottle is not one of those lol

2 Likes

He should be holding it by now but he’s probably choosing not to. But if the doctor isn’t concerned and it’s not inconvenient for you then who cares. It might just become an issue in the even someone needs to babysit him though

2 Likes

He’s a damn baby! People are so ridiculous.

Maybe just try to let him do it.

1 Like

Wtf??? Even if he CAN do it, some babies just like their mamas to do it so they can feel comforted and taken care of…. An 8 month old doesn’t know how to be lazy….

Your mom doesn’t sound like a very nice person. I wouldn’t take her advice too seriously.

3 Likes

My son is 8 months and can hold his own bottle , but he’ll just play with it. So we hold it for him so he’ll actually eat!

1 Like

Babies are on their own time, not your moms time

4 Likes

Omg your child is fine… they are only little once… let them be little

1 Like

My son is almost 8 months old, he can’t hold his own bottle, he tries though…so I’m sure he will get it in time…

1 Like

My son is nearly 2 years old on only started holding a bottle by himself haha

1 Like

The question for you is, can he hold his bottle or does he have no interest in holding the bottle. And the only person capable of answering is your doctor. Watch him and see if he displays other signs of holding things. And every baby is different. My kid- I was worried about her walking. She wouldn’t crawl. She would just wait for someone to chance close enough and put her arms up. If something was to far away she would just stare at it- then at you. It was bizarre and worried me- turns out- just taking life easy. Perfectly healthy and active now at 12- but I wouldn’t have guessed it at 6 months to 1 year.

So, yes, it’s a bit later than many babies do- but not totally. Don’t let any negativity here get you down and just ask at next checkup.

1 Like

If I enjoy this privilege all alone it shows how ungrateful I’m because I got this opportunity from a post here as well and saw recommendations too.All thanks to the good work of Mrs Lisa Jennifer i
Follow this link :link::paperclips: to message her on facebook.
:point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down:

My daughter wasn’t even a month old when she took over holding it! I would try but she preferred too. Once we moved on the bigger bottles she got a little lazy and let me do it for a bit but that didn’t last long!

My 8 months he should be ABLE to hold his own bottle if he can and just doesn’t too I wouldn’t worry too much. If he’s not able too I’d surly make a trip to his pedi!

2 Likes

Sounds like you need a new mom

3 Likes

Every baby is different I know mine prefers me to hold and he still does. He’s 19months old next week

1 Like

All babies are different and do things when they are ready. A baby not holding their own bottle does not make them lazy. Maybe your baby just likes the closeness. I think your mom needs to let you and baby handle this.

5 Likes

I used platex bottles and my lazy little girl would put her bottle on the floor between her legs and drink it. Don’t sweat it

2 Likes

no. My eldest NEVER held her own bottle. Come 10mo she stopped drinking formula and Dr had her go to cow’s milk and she drank out of the cup fine. Your son will be fine

2 Likes

Our 3, were holding theirs between 4-5 months…

5 Likes

All my my kids are breastfeed but if I do give a bottle with breastmilk or smoothie they all hold their own at 4-5 months

1 Like

That’s ridiculous! Babies are not lazy. Your mother needs to chill out.

3 Likes

Some littles won’t hold their bottle, simply because they just don’t care to. My son never held his own bottle. My daughters started holding it at 4 months. Each child is different. I would say it is nothing concerning

2 Likes

Ask your doctor. Each child os different,but it is your job only to encourage him

No need to compare the moon to the sun. They each shine when it’s their time.

13 Likes

Depends on if he is holding anyyhing else, does he have issues with holding stuff or grabbing stuff. But he definitely should be encouraged to hold it at that age.

1 Like

Mine was 9mo. My other babies were breastfed so when it came to a bottle they weren’t used to holding it. Right now my 5 month old likes to put his hands on his bottle but no interest in holding it. Babies can’t see completely clear til age one. Plus their hand eye coordination isn’t great. Don’t worry about it

Fact! If a baby is taught to use sippy cup at 6/7 months he will also learn

1 Like

My son is 11months and literally hates holding his bottle :joy: hes lazy

Does she want him to go to university too? Lmao

5 Likes

It is an “important” milestone that takes place between 6-10 months of age
Talk to your pediatrician if you have any concerns

2 Likes

While bottle feeding my babies, I always made sure there was someone on the other end of the bottle to make up for the closeness and bonding there would have been during breastfeeding. Bottles are also then associated with a feed and not a comfort item, which happens sometimes when they hold and control their bottles. To each their own. Xx

Mine is almost 7 months and can hold her own bottle, but prefers to hold my hands while I feed her. She only wants to hold the bottle when she’s gotten enough and just wants to play with it. And I’m okay with it because it’s a sweet moment between us…plus, she’s only going to need bottles for a few more months. Knowing that she can is enough for me; she’s stubbornly independent on so many things and I’m going to enjoy these moments while I still can.

Totally agree .alexis used to rub the ear of whoever was feeding her. Gaby holds the bottle sometimes and its good to get the cuddles isnt it ?

1 Like

My baby was about 5 months maybe a lil younger but if u can u should buy a bottle with a handle. Now my lil man 14 months n drinks out my water bottles😂

1 Like

Mines 12months and only just started to but hates it she’s lazy only just started crawling :joy:

1 Like

My first 3 boys by six to seven months my fourth boy milk bottle we held it till 3 years lol but he would drink out of a cup no problems :woman_shrugging: too smart for his own good wanted us to do the work

Him being able to hold his own bottle doesn’t mean he has to feed himself. Mine started between 6 and 8 months. If you have concerns being it up with your pediatrician. Every child is different and some babies are more laid back lol

1 Like

My oldest never did, she held her sippy cup though. My second was breastfed. Third was breast and bottle fed, she held her bottle at 9 months, the 4th held her bottle at 1 year- she was a Preemie and didn’t come completely off till she was almost 18 months. All babies are different.

After leaving my previous job 12 months ago, i’ve had some good luck to learn about this website which was a life-saver for me… They offer jobs for which people can work online from their house. My latest paycheck after working for them for 2 months was for $14521… Amazing thing about is that the only thing required is simple typing skills and access to internet…

Read all about it here… https://SuperIncome371.pages.dev/

Giiiiirrrrlllll , tell by your Mum to :zipper_mouth_face::joy: All babies develop differently , don’t compare your baby to expectations of others … I’d be worried if he’s 1 and not holding his own bottle :sweat_smile: You’ll find a way that’s comfortable for him :blush:

All babies different

My daughter started holding her own bottle at 5 months and my mom called ME lazy🤦🏼‍♀️ every baby is different

2 Likes

Mine didn’t the whole 12 months lol she was spoiled. :joy: I actually enjoyed holding her bottle. It gave us bonding time and that time to just sit together.

4 Likes

My daughter is almost 11 months and just started about a month ago… I would always put her hands around it and she would take them right back off🤷‍♀️

Don’t listen to your mom!!! Your baby will hold it when he/she’s ready… your baby will only be a baby until then…… I suggest you wait until they can do it on their own….I want my baby do wait to do everything. Crawl…. He’s not crawling but wanna wait until he figures it out on his own… but that’s my opinion… just let him/she be… they will figure it out….

My daughter didn’t start until around 8 months, she knew how but yeah I let her be lazy … she was a baby.
One day I was like “im not holding this for you, I know you can” and she wasn’t amused but she started holding it on her own

1 Like

Around 6 to 10 months is ’ normal ’ …how i hate that word …but every baby is different and just because he’s not trying doesnt mean there’s anything wrong. Maybe he just likes to cuddle with mum . Both of you enjoy this time because it passes quickly .

Don’t compare babies. My youngest was the latest one to walk and didn’t talk until he was almost 3. He is very brainy, fit and healthy. They do things when they are ready. Also, not aimed at anyone in particular, NEVER leave a baby to drink a bottle unattended, it is a choking risk.

Don’t listen to advice grandmas give, they use to drive around with the kids in their laps and also smoke in the car with babies in the car back in the day. I’d think twice before listening to her.

My mom said the same thing, my son was 9 months old, I went to the hospital to have his sister and ended up being in the hospital for a week, I came home and he was holding his own bottle, he was being lazy with me because he knew I would hold it.
Not every kid is the same, but in my case my mom was right

1 Like

My boy is 14 months and still doesn’t. He has no interest in it either. However he will hold his own sippi cup !

Babies move at their own pace. I hate when people do that. Tell her “move on”.

2 Likes

Mine were all 4-5 months when they started holding it except my youngest she was only 2 months. But… she has better hand eye coordination than most grown people I’ve seen lol

1 Like

Both my babies were over 4 months. We also worked on it with them. It’s good arm strength for them. I watch kids and some of the kids I watched didn’t hold a bottle till they were done with them at 12 months. It really depends on the parents as well.

1 Like

By 8 months, yes. Baby should be holding bottle, toys, etc.

2 Likes

Mine didn’t either so I got him a Nuk sippy cup with handles and made him learn. It worked and he seemed happy to be able to do it himself whenever he wanted

1 Like

My girls were 6 months my son was almost a year before he would.

1 Like

All babies do things at their own time my daughter is 7mo she’s been holding hers around 4 or 5 mo my nieces baby is 10 mo and just started holding hers around 8mo I love feeding my baby and I’m sad she doesn’t need me to hold her Bubba anymore so just enjoy your time momma he will when he’s ready :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

None of my babies held their own bottles and if they did it was because I was holding them

2 Likes

Your baby can hold a bottle. I’m sure he holds other things so why wouldn’t he be able to hold a bottle. Does he need to, not really, if you are happy holding it for him then don’t worry about it. However if you want him to, just hold his hands on the bottle while you feed him and over time he will start doing it automatically, then when he’s ready just lay him down and hand him the bottle.

2 Likes

All babies learn t there on pace. Just practice by placing hands on the bottle

2 Likes

My little girl is 10 months old and just started holding her bottle. She can only hold it while laying flat if she is sitting up she can’t hold it all the way up.All babies are different. Just because they show no sings of interest does not mean anything is wrong. Babies do thing when they are ready.

2 Likes

Pfft… after 6 babies I don’t give a crap what anyone thinks. Yes most my babies held their bottle after a few months but my last baby I still held her bottle even at 6 months and I don’t care. It didn’t make her lazy. I guess she didn’t realize she could. She eventually had enough and took it from me at some point and rolled over but I never forced her to hold her own. No worries mama.

2 Likes

Yes and holding his head up to

2 Likes

My daughters were about 8 months when theu started to. But it is a learned habit: Why should I hold it when someone else will?

2 Likes

Clients are getting paid everyday so stop wishing and start wining, Mr. Bunker with link- Redirecting... can help you build your life financially just by investing Binary Options, Bitcoin and Forex Trading. There are lot of people here who are making huge profit trading in his company, He can generate huge profits for you just by trading in any of the investment plans he operates with. Make as much as you can with your capital accurately and perfectly,
Send a DM to Him

2 Likes

Mine never did. He also wouldn’t drink out of a sippy cup unless it was a straw. He just started using regular sippy cups right before his 2nd birthday. I never tried to teach him to hold is bottle, I always enjoyed feeding him.

1 Like

My testimony started when I saw a post of people testifying about Mr. Joshua Bunker bitcoin company, after having a good view at his profile on facebook seeing successful stories on how he has helped a lot of people… I was really impresed and I quickly contacted him. Since then my life has changed financially through the help of Mr. Joshua Bunker trading bitcoin online. Click on him Facebook link below to contact him.
:point_down::point_down: :point_down:

1 Like

My son could hold it at that age but if you would hold it for him he liked that too lol that woman is trying to lol shame you! Ignore her. My son also dropped the bottle shortly after 1 and drinks from a cup and loves to use a straw.

1 Like

I heard forex options trade is changing lives but I never had a chance to try until I came across Joshua Bunker an expert trader who made my first trade and withdrawal a success, I couldn’t believe it up till now how amazing my story has changed through one single investment with him. And he has changed my life financially. Thank you very much for all the profits | made from your trading platform, it was very easy and successful. You can contact him if interested.
:arrow_down::arrow_down::arrow_down::arrow_down::arrow_down:

1 Like

I have 3 and honestly they never held their own bottles. That was our time during the day.

2 Likes

I want to thank you so much for your honesty and transparency in all our business dealings you’ve never cheated me or anyone else, that makes me so proud to advertise how professional you are with business generally. Thank you so much for being the best trading coach on this platform

Facebook contact: Redirecting...

1 Like

Connecting with you was the biggest
achievement. I save up this much because of you Mr. Bunker you’re what everyone needs at this time for livelyhood. Listen it’s ok to be good just don’t settle for less
Contact, Mr. Joshua Bunker
:point_down::point_down: :point_down:

1 Like