When do babies start sitting up?

what age do babies start sitting up? likw what is considered a normal age? my 7 month old is not sittin up yet but my 4 month old niece is and let me tell you that my sister in law will not stop gushin about her younger child doing mroe than my older child and something “must be wrong”…please tell me this is normal

30 Likes

Every child is different! They move at their own pace.

2 Likes

Some kids just take a little longer. My pediatrician said sitting up around 6 months and my son was but my neice was a little bit slower.

6-9 months is the usual though both my kids sat up independently at 4-5montbs

One of my sons sat at 4m, the other at 8m,

I’m a pedi OT and work with early intervention.

Babies “sit” with assistance around 4 months with good head control. They usually sit independently without assistance 6-7 months. Does your baby’s head seem to have a hard time staying upright.

Each child is different. If I remember correctly my daughter was about 8 months when she started sitting on her own, 13 months when she started to crawl and 15 months when she started to walk.

I’ve learned every child is different in many ways. Don’t let your SIL get you down!
Babies and kids will do things at their own time :heart:

1 Like

Every child is different my kids started sitting up and walking late both where about a 15 months when they walked about 9-10 months when they sat up. But both children started talking very very early my son said his first word by 3 months

Each kid is different. One of mine barely spoke a word until they were 4yrs old. Then one day it was like someone pulled the cork outta that kid. Like he had been waiting patiently for his turn. Zero to full sentences. Absolutely wild :heart:
The things they will accomplish will blow your mind.

Every baby is different my first two both were sitting at 6 months and my youngest was sitting at 5 months

My 6-7 month old sat but it wasn’t without help. We would pose her arms in front of her so it was like a gorilla looking pose. Her development was normal and she walked before a year. Bring it up with your doctor. They should know if your baby is reaching milestones appropriately. An if you don’t like your Dr.s answer find a local free center to test for Development delays. In California we have regional centers that test for free. I hope that helps I’m sure your baby is fine.

My 6-7 month old sat but it wasn’t without help. We would pose her arms in front of her so it was like a gorilla looking pose. Her development was normal and she walked before a year. Bring it up with your doctor. They should know if your baby is reaching milestones appropriately. An if you don’t like your Dr.s answer find a local free center to test for Development delays. In California we have regional centers that test for free. I hope that helps I’m sure your baby is fine.

Yup perfectly normal! Tbh biggest reason for delayed (which technically it’s not delayed) sitting is big noggins and poor core strength. Work on tummy time and sitting. He will get there. Ignore you sister in law she may not realize what she is doing and if she does not reacting will will frustrate her because she isn’t getting a reaction out of you.

3 Likes

Babies should not be judged against each other !

Every child develops differently! This is totally normal and there is absolutely nothing wrong with your child.

Okay I’ll say this my son could do all his milestones but never let on that he could. Example : he was like 7 months old and was sitting up just fine literally walked in a caught him and I was like woowww yay good job buddy finally !!! And he just goes like ohhh noo I can’t sit up and like slowly laid back down he also did it with walking he literally just walked into a room one day and we were like yay buddy then he bum planted: moral of the story make sure your kid actually can’t before being concerned sometimes they’re just funny little buggers

Sooo my son turn 8 months on the 18th. He has been trying to sit him self up laying down and he lays like this all the time. I was getting discouraged because all of the babies of my friends that were born within 2 weeks of him are all sitting up and both my older 2 girls were sitting up by now.and he isnt. Only assisted And his dr wants him sitting up by 9 months. I keep trying to push in my mind all babies develop different. At the same time hes trying to sit up from laying down hes getting on his hands and knees and rocking. But tonight i fed him some sweet potatoes layed him in the floor to go make him some oatmeal and when i came back he was sitting up all by his self!!! He sat up from a laying down positon or he was on his side . Dont get discouraged like i did. Your baby will hit their mile stones. You should watch baby race. Its a bluey episode. And i keep that in the back of my mind!:two_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts:

1 Like

Don’t worry about what your SIL says. Your baby will sit as soon as he’s ready. It could be tomorrow or 9 months. Babies are different. It will happen.

7 months and not sitting up would definitely be a reason to worry and have a conversation with a doctor. It may be nothing but it also may be something and the earlier you are able to get intervention the better if there is a problem. That seems REALLY late. Most kids are able to sit up, at least assisted, by 3-4 months.

2 Likes

All kids do things at different times

2 Likes

Both of mine didn’t sit up alone until they were 9 months old.

Every child is different. Their muscles and motor function develop differently. My niece’s son couldn’t sit until he was almost 1 and didn’t walk until he was about 18 months old. They said he had hypotonic muscles, basically the muscles had no tone or strength to hold him up. After very little physical therapy he was walking all over the place. Side note: my neice kept him on her hip and propped up in the corner of the couch when she’d go to the bathroom or cook or something so he had no reason to activate those muscles to strengthen them. So there’s that🤔

My daughter didn’t walk until she was about 21 months old, my other daughter started walking when she was 10 months old. I know it’s hard but you can’t compare children. Everyone goes at their own pace.

1 Like

Every child is different. Your SIL needs to stop comparing because at one point, your child may do something better or faster than hers, or another child in the same daycare/class is more advanced at something. All kids learn at their own pace. As long as you are doing what you need to as a momma, don’t worry about it. Don’t compare your parenting or child to someone else’s. It will happen even with your own kids if you have more. They all develop differently. My oldest walked at 13 months while my middle walked at 8 months and my youngest at 11 months. But my oldest spoke so much more and clearer than my other 2 when she was 18mo-2yrs old.

Don’t stress it and get that negativity away from you

1 Like

Girls advance faster than boys. My friends baby is a month older than my baby and was army crawling at 5 months, and my boy is just starting and he’s 6 months old and she’s 7 months

My son was a 32 weeker and didn’t sit up unassisted until 9.5 months. :woman_shrugging:t2:

Proper motor skills ( not early, but right ones) influence the intelligence too. Your child is fine, rather a little “late”, than too early. Just do gentle massage , you can look up on internet, bonding time and also really helps for the right development as good core strength. And sitting up at 4 month is not natural, she is forcing her child, so child sits with the help, you can count the baby sits up, only when he does himself with no help.

So many different opinions in this post… wow.

For you and for peace of mind and to know you have the right opinion speak to your child health nurse or doctor.
With my son and daughter I assisted them to help as much as possible, grab a washing basket and sit them in the corner of it with some toys, so just help sit them with something to support them and their muscles will build and strengthen :slightly_smiling_face:

I had one kid walk at 7 months one not until 15 months. One that slept through the night since birth and one that is 4 and still wakes up at night. My point is all babies r diffrent and until your doctor starts worrying I wouldn’t

4 Likes

My grandbabes is 6 months and can crawl and stand up holding onto things but still cant sit up on her own lol. All babies are different :grin:

My eldest was 8 months, my middle child 4 months and my last one 5-6 months. They each take their own time.

3 Likes

My first baby couldn’t sit up unsupported until after he could walk. Like, completely walk. He could sit in chairs and stuff but he had wonky butt balance lol

Girl, every child is different and will grow at their own pace!! Don’t be ashamed, tell your sister in law to keep her mouth shut and enjoy every minute of your precious lil love!!

3 Likes

All 4 of mine were sitting up by 5 months( all girls).

My middle child was like that the doctors said “failure to thrive” I pushed for answers until we were sent to a genetisist who diagnosed her with Williams Syndrome, she is missing part of one of her genes. Take her to a doctor get her checked out demand answers.

1 Like

Babies will sit up when they are ready too can’t force a little one to stay upright it’s usually six months onwards but I looked after a child who didn’t sit up till she was a year old. Nothing wrong with her she just suddenly stood up and that was it … if your instincts are telling you something is wrong get it checked out.but if your sister in law is gushing over her little one sitting up before yours, let her, bit immature of her I say,still maybe she isn’t being snobby if it’s her first child… so be patient of course you could encourage your baby to sit up with putting cushions round them and sitting with them put toys in front to encourage play…all the best and don’t worry it will happen when they want to

Babies will sit up when they are ready too can’t force a little one to stay upright it’s usually six months onwards but I looked after a child who didn’t sit up till she was a year old. Nothing wrong with her she just suddenly stood up and that was it … if your instincts are telling you something is wrong get it checked out.but if your sister in law is gushing over her little one sitting up before yours, let her, bit immature of her I say,still maybe she isn’t being snobby if it’s her first child… so be patient of course you could encourage your baby to sit up with putting cushions round them and sitting with them put toys in front to encourage play…all the best and don’t worry it will happen when they want to

Just to make sure I would ask a doctor but please don’t allow any M…F compare your child to another child. All baby are different my daughter never crawled and was walking by 9 months but my son he was always crawling but took his First step when he was 1 year old and a week.

2 Likes

Mama. You know your baby better then anyone. If you feel something is wrong seek assistance. Don’t let people bring you down. All people learn and grow at their own speed.

2 Likes

It’s completely normal , babies have their own timing some are faster than others and is completely ok , some kids even skip phases , for example my daughter never really crawled but she walked at 11 months .

Please NEVER, NEVER compare your kids with other kids, and do not allow your SIL comments to hurt you , make you feel less of a mother or even think that her baby is better than yours , just ignore her, or the next time she brag about something her daughter is doing just ask her if she wants a medal or a trophy

Every child is different and grows at their own pace. Your little guy will get there when he’s ready. Ignore your SIL.

2 Likes

I feel like 5-6 months is probably average . But babies all develop at their own rates. Just make sure they get lots of tummy time and opportunity to strengthen their muscles. They will figure it out :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

All babies are different and just practice with your baby more. I wouldn’t be too worried til he is a little older. Just be patient and don’t let anyone bring you down. Kids learn at all different speeds, my middle son started sitting at 4 months and my youngest who is 9 months now learned at 6 months and I can’t remember on my other two kids I have 4 kiddos in all and I know they all learned things differently some did things faster like walking. my daughter was a little older then her siblings when she finally conquered it. I’m sure he he will be sitting crawling and walking before you know it… good luck

Oh just wait till your sil child starts walking and then talking…
Smdh
I guess your going to hear about that also…lol
Stick to your guns…
Do what all these other Mothers suggested…
They are right😀
I have 4 Grands now all boys…every one is different. Two are 4 months apart so there is a lot of comparing between my 2 daughters…
We just laugh and have so many memories with everyone of the boys😀
I have another one on the way due January😍

My husband was acting strange again then he left me so l decided to leave then I found abudolu online I explain everything to him and he help me bring back my husband with his powers just within 11 hours and my husband was back apologizing to me and the kids connect with abudolu if you have any problem via his Facebook page :point_right:Love connects & tarot

My lg was a tiny dot and sat on own at 4 months
My lb isnt big but is alot bigger than she was and he sat unaided at 8 months
It’s hard but ignore her ,just enjoy every minute with your baby and celebrate their milestones, they all develop at different times .
Your hv will always come out or have a chat over phone if you are worried about anything or just want reassurance xx

My oldest didn’t sit up until 8 months

never let anyone make it a competition between your baby & theirs. it’s weird & gross lol.

babies will do things on their own time. there’s no time limit for when they start doing those things :woman_shrugging:t3: just depends on when they’re ready

4 Likes

+++++Every child is different.

2 Likes

Babies will do things in their own time. My baby was about 6 months. Who cares what her child can do focus on your own.

1 Like

Babies will do what they please at their own time it’s not wrong I had a baby that was walking by 10 months old and one that didn’t walk at all till 13 months neither one has anything wrong with them

3 Likes

My son started sitting up alone around 7 1/2 months. You can help him practice too. Just know he didn’t start walking either till 13 months old. He is 5 now and way more coordinated and has heightened gross motor skills for his age. Try to ignore her, as long as baby is in a normal time frame then the comparisons don’t make sense. If baby isn’t sitting up by 1 then at that point you can talk to the pediatrician

1 Like

She/he might be sitting at 4months but definitely NOT unaided. It’s not a competition every baby is different dosent mean there’s something wrong she’s needs to be told straight

1 Like

:joy: It’s really strange but by Kindergarten, the majority of kids can sit up unaided, can walk and use the potty… I remember even being compared that mine didn’t roll yet! Mine skipped crawling and was walking at nine months so all those people who’d been suggesting mine was a slow developer got a shock. Also using a regular cup at nine months too. Read with and talk to your kid and I’m sure you’ll be the smug one by Kindergarten.

1 Like

All babies are different. Totally normal

2 Likes

All babies are different but your sister in law is like every other my kid is best and yours is defective low information braggart. Unless your childs doctor sees a problem relax and enjoy your little one. Both of my sons walked by 9 months but my daughter sidn’t stand up and take a few steps until she was a year old.

2 Likes

l get paid over $165 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $18517 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

M0re Info. https://amazingpay231.pages.dev/

Milestones are just a guideline . There is no rule book for babies. Ignore your friend and enjoy your baby

1 Like

Don’t let comparison steal your joy

3 Likes

Ask your pediatrician.

1 Like

All kids do it in their own time

2 Likes

Apparently it’s fine until closer to9 months. Tell your sil to hush

1 Like

Hey mama its ok that hes not sitting up yet…you should never compare kids to other kids because every child is different. I work at a daycare and my room is the infant i have one baby whos been sitting up since he was exactly 6months old a little before , i have a 9month who needs help and cant sit by himself, i have a 4 month old whos been rolling since they were 2months and is trying to sit up by thereself. When he is ready he will do it. Dont let anyone scare you into thinking something is wrong with him.

1 Like

l get paid over $165 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $18517 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

M0re Info. https://amazingpay295.pages.dev/

My 1 year old refuses to walk and only has 2 teeth babies will do things on their own love :two_hearts:

1 Like

Do. Not. Compare. Babies.

& Actually pushing milestones to early can be really bad for a child’s physical development!

Teach baby how to do things, work with them & let them hit their milestones when they get there!

1 Like

Every child is different and develops in their own time. Your baby’s health and your mental health are more important than what others have to say about comparing their little one to yours :heart:

1 Like

Very normal. All babies learn things at different agreed. My oldest was pulling herself up and cruising furniture at five months. My middle didn’t until she was almost eight months.

They’re all different. I had one that didn’t sit up until 9 months (preemie) and one who was holding her head up in the delivery room! Sitting at 4 months, she was big and strong. All 4 of my kids hit their milestones at all different times and they are siblings.

Its totally normal! Hers however is not and if shes pushing her to do to much she can cause problems and have more work to do when she gets older… ap enjoy your little one and they will do what they can when they can :blush::heart:

I had a snl like that. She drove me crazy. It was like a competition. Your child is not slow. My son sat up at around seven months, didn’t crawl long then walked early. Each child is different and you’ll see yours do things in their own time. The smartest lady I know didn’t walk until she was nearly 18 months old. Her parents were terrified.

Just throw the whole sister in law away and take your baby to the Dr and ask this question

2 Likes

All children are different…your child will just do it on her own soon.

1 Like

My daughter didn’t sit up till she was almost 8 months old and she’s 2 now and does everything a 2 year old does. Some babies are just faster than others and that’s okay​:blue_heart::heart: don’t let her bring you down, you’re doing great!

All kids are different. My son was like 7 months old my girls were about 4 5 months old. My 19 month old isn’t 100% walking either My girls both walked by 14 months and one eas preemie.

All babies are different and sometimes we think what are we doing wrong - nothing.

The 4 month old is normal 7 months is not

2 Likes

A 4 month old sitting up on their own just means they’re ahead on that particular milestone. My kids weren’t Sitting up on their own until 6/7 months and some take a little longer. All babies are different and do things at their own pace. Your sister in law sounds toxic and competitive if she’s trying to claim something is wrong with your child just because hers happens to be ahead.

2 Likes

All babies are normal. The more they are worked with normally the faster they accomplish the “goal” but some babies just grow, learn and mature in different ways. I wouldn’t worry too much butif you are concerned or if she’s not teaching other, you can always speak with her dr.

Heck mine was probably 7-8 months and still sometimes fell sideways lol

Baby needs more floor time to strengthen the muscles. You can always talk to the pediatrician and they can set you up with physical & occupational therapy for the baby. I had to do this for my oldest daughter (born with medical complications).

2 Likes

There is no specific number however after a year if they still don’t, then take them for a checkup. My first born was 4 months, my little girl who Is very tiny even at 8 months can’t sit up on her own yet. Every baby is different

That is normal never let another mother make you feel like your baby is behind on anything unless a doctor tells you and even sometimes they are wrong too every baby is diffrent and they learn diffrently too and thats ok :heart:

1 Like

If you are concernced ask your pediatrician. You can be reffered to an OT for developmental delays if baby isnt rolling or crawling or hitting other milestones. Dont be alarmed just because a specific milestone isnt reached. My 10 month old preemie didnt sit until she stood at 11.5 months and i was very concerned, but as most of the people have already said, babies learn at their own pace. My pediatrician said “until a child reaches age 3, there is really no cause for concern unless YOU the parent are concerned, or there are health issues”.

Every baby is different. If you have concerns ask your Dr but chances are everything is fine… besides your SIL sounds a little toxic. Parenting isn’t a competition❤

1 Like

Comparison is the killer of joy

2 Likes

Do not compare them babies do things at different ages

I knew a baby that walked at 4 months old. Creepiest thing I’d ever seen. Like a little Chuckie Doll. Anyway, my point is, every baby is different. Benchmarks are averages. Just roll your eyes at the comments and know your baby is just fine.

2 Likes

Ignore your sister in laws rude comments, comparing kids is petty. Kids learn at their own pace. It doesn’t mean they’re slow or behind. If you’re concerned I would talk to your pediatrician. Sometimes kids need a little push and some help it’s nothing to be embarrassed about. I would also try to have more tummy time and try using a boppy pillow(or a knock off equivalent) to help build the baby’s muscles more :slightly_smiling_face:

Each child is different. Both my girls were sitting up by 4mo, but doesn’t mean they’re better or anything and doesn’t mean baby sister coming will be the same. My 6yo walked at 9mo and my 3yo walked at 14mo. Each child takes milestones differently. If it’s become any form of concern I’m sure your Dr would have said something or you can talk to them about it.

Not sure why she’d use her baby spitting up as a flex. Tell her she must not be burping her correctly :rofl:

2 Likes

Ugh it makes me so angry when other moms treat it as if it’s a competition! My son didn’t sit up on his own until he was almost 8 months. My brother also has a daughter that’s a month younger than my son and she’s been ahead of the game from the start. Wanted to be sitting up at like 2 months old and everyone around me has always said “well she does this and she does that….” It’s like who cares!!! My son is DIFFERENT! All kids are different than the next! Don’t let your sister in law discourage you! Your baby will sit up on his/her own time!!

3 Likes

Just tell her her baby is ugly and I’m sure she’ll shut up :woman_shrugging:t3:

All babies are different !I have a Granddaughter that didn’t walk till 2 and she’s fine!If u need or are worried ask your pediatrician !Don’t let anyone make u feel terrible about development of your baby !

My daughter was about 5m but she also had a ton of ppl doing it with her all day long (my village of family and friends) my second daughter (bonus baby) was about 6/7 my son was 6 and I truly believe he only started it because he stayed with my grandmother for 2 days and is a baby whisperer. But no matter what age I would not worry unless they truly don’t seem interest at all to try

Practice a little every day to strengthen those back muscles. It takes time.

2 Likes

Stop putting your baby in a competition, Asknyour doctor.

just stop trying to compete with sister in law each child is different will do things when its time this thing with sil is harmful to yoy and your baby do not rush her

Son was 5 months. Daughters 9 months.

My first son started sitting up at 6 months my second son is sitting up at 4 months it just depends on the kid. I’d definitely tell that SIL if she has nothing nice to say about your child to keep her mouth shut.

1 Like

Every baby is different. Don’t measure one by another’s yard stick