When is it time to potty train?

Not a mom but my own mother just started a routine. We would get up in the morning and both of us would use the potty. It started with her just sitting me on it to try and get me used to it, and gradually I would go. She did the tandem potty runs thought the day, and after a couple months I was fully out of diapers.

Do not let anyone do the comparison!! My (perfectly healthy) son just became fully potty trained, and he is 4 years and 8 months old. He had the day time down by 2&1/2-3, but we just got the night times down! Kids learn at their own pace, and it’s all about how well they learn to control their bladders. My son sleeps so hard that he wouldn’t wake up to go. He also wouldn’t pee enough right before bed, so he basically had a full bladder while sleeping. We tried everything. So don’t let anyone guilt you over it. He will get it at his own pace! No matter how long it takes, You’re doing a good job and you’re a great mom. Remember that.

sorry for rambling. This topic just aggravates me because people are so quit to mom shame when their kids aren’t potty trained by a specific age!!

1 Like

ok so my son will be 3in November, i try potty training him he does the same pee a little but not often and most times he won’t sit on the lou, my other son is 14months and is potty training so well he cant even say potty but he will pull his diaper off and sit, i wasn’t trying to potty train him he saw i was trying to get his big brother to do it and now he does it better than the 2yr old. both are healthy normal boys they just are going at their own paces don’t stress about it, encourage him to use it but don’t pressure him, i bribe my 2yr old with chocolate i make him use the lou while saying the colors of the m&ms he eats.

2 Likes

My daughter is almost 3.5 and is potty trained during the day but still wears diapers at night. She has an occasional accident dirong the day because she os just to busy. Let him lead you! Get him a potty he can use on his own and just make it fun!

I started with both my daughters at 6 months of age. It is like a bedtime routine. They would wake up, i would take a nappy off and sit them on the potty for a few mins, after a meal and before bed. Instantly, they would prefer pooping in the potty rather than in a nappy, and my eldest been potty trained by 1.5 years old with a couple of accidents at night when she had either too much watermelon, or too much milk. I know there is a so called science behind potty training at the certain age, but i am all for the environment around us, if to be fair, and for the internal health. It is just my personal opinion and experience. Good luck! Consistency is the key!

2 Likes

My son is 3.5. We just got ours potty train. No health issues, completely healthy. He just refused to use the potty. It took us over a year of trying to get him on the potty but he would cry and hold it. 2 of my daughters were potty trained soon as they turned 2 in a mattrr of days. But my son is stubborn and finally oit of diapers. Except for bed time, he won’t go to sleep without one on altho i feel its more of a comfort thing because he hasn’t peed overnight in over a year. He wakes with a dry diaper

4 kids here! And one thing I’ve learned is that they will potty train when they are ready! If they aren’t ready and you try to force it, they will reject it even more. All I do is keep the potty available and in sight for when they are ready and often show it to them and ask if they want to use it. One day they will just go for it! And I always praise it and we do a potty dance to make it fun and they will continue to want to do it. I often bribe with their favorite candy also. :laughing:

4 Likes

3 , he wouldnt use a potty , he went to reception and they said right take his nappy off and leave him , he will follow the kids i was like erm ok really , it worked he followed the kids , after a few weeks he was using the toilet , xxxx

18 months with both.

1 Like

Boys are usually easier…I have had 6 kids.
I had mine potty trained by about 2. I started them at 1, and would have them sit on a potty chair with diaper on, and go from there. I had 2 sets of kids come close in age, and I refused to have 2 in diapers at the same time for very long.

2 Likes

2 with my first two, 3 with my third. Don’t force it, but always encourage it.

Train him outside! He will think it is fun!!

3 Likes

Always make a huge deal when he goes 1 or 2 on the potty. Have a mini celebration. Also, take the child every hour at first, slowly increase the time. Keep diaper or pull up off. Put the child in underwear. Accidents happen. Part of learning. Have the child help change themselves. In my experience boys can be more difficult with #2. Sometimes very difficult. Fun times!

Something to aim at like cheerios/fruit loops also wearing big boy underwear some favorite character

1 Like

My mom had me potty trained by a year old. Boys are tougher I had my son fully day potty trained by 3. My daughter was fully trained by 2

I’ve seen some potty trained by 1.5 and others not potty trained until 3.5. my girl turned 2 a month ago and is still in the process. She’s perfectly healthy and “normal” she’s just stubborn as all hell and doesn’t like to quit playing :joy:

Every morning we go straight to the potty, same with after naps and before bed. Anytime I go, I take her with me too.

It’s fine momma. All will come in time!

4 Likes

I think it depends on the child. My first child hated being wet or soiled. He was potty trained by 18 months because he could not stand being in a dirty diaper. My second child could care less whether he was wet or soiled and wouldnt say anything. He took a lot longer to potty train and it was much more challenging.

I have all girls. I started my oldest at about a year and half. My twins are 16 months we just started a few weeks ago. Wev had a few successful potties and have started 2 learn that we go get changed when needed on the potty. They sit great most of the time. 2 is a good age 2 start. Have a male take him often and show him how its done if possible. Let him pee of the porch. Put cheerios in the potty and tell him 2 sink them. A potty his size identical 2 the big 1 will help. Take him every hour 2 sit on the potty for atleast 5 minutes. Small rewards and lots of praise when he actually goes. U got this. Consistancy is key and lots of patience. Once they start 2 learn look 4 signs like him squatting in a corner and pulling at their pants it means they know what they are doing just haven’t fully learned 2 potty in the potty yet.

My number one tip is: do not stress about it! My son is 8 and started to be interested in the potty/toilet around 2 and a half. Still worse pull ups at night until around 4. But each child is different. Try and make it fun without stressing :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

between 2 and 3 is typical for most kids. For boys having something to aim at makes it more fun and less messy. Have daddy show him how its done. Most importantly stay consistent, dont stress, and praise/reward him when he uses the potty. Allow him to pick out his underwear and make a big deal of his “big boy” pants. Dont get mad at accidents!! Training pants are good at night but my kids ultimately did better when they wore real underwear to experience real accidents. Good luck it will happen.

My son who is 25 now had the number two down but the number one took a until he was four he went in the bathroom with his two boy cousins who were 5 and 7 they went and he copied them and he was potty train he was 4. I tried all the tricks Cheerios in the toilet he look a me like was nuts. Good luck I think it is a good thing to have young male cousins around so they can see what to do.

1 Like

Boys take longer to train.

I waited until my daughter was ready. She’s 3yo when I showed her a small toilet-like potty and asked if she wants to have it like mommy, and she said yes…and she used it right away. No sweat and not even a training. Always in their own time/pace.

1 Like

My 3 boys were between 3-4 to be truly fully potty trained no accidents in or out of bed.

1 Like

First and foremost, calm down.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. When is it time to potty train? - Mamas Uncut

Once mine started preschool and saw others going potty he did pretty good peeing. I actually had him started peeing in potty around 2 but wasn’t completely. He was dry at night by 3. But he had no interest in pooping in potty. We finally got him to stop hiding to poop got him to stand in the bathroom. Well one day I followed him took pullup off and put him on potty and made him sit there. He screamed about it for about 15 minutes before he realized that he had gone. Then it’s like all the light bulbs went off in his head and he said oh. Then he was perfectly fine after that. Did take almost 2 weeks for him to figure out u get on potty b4 u start pooping. But after that he was in underwear. Some kids just don’t get it. I was actually told some have anxiety about pooping in potty. Like they think they are loosing a body part or something idk. Personally I think if I hadn’t done that he never would have gone.

They are ready when they are ready, no 2 children are the same. I have 2 boys and a girl, the boys took longer but by 3 or 4 they were trained. The girl was trained by 2 1/2. Now my grandson lives with me and he will be 2 in October he has started showing interest in the big peoples potty and will tell in his way he has gone potty and sometimes start to remove his diaper. So its time for pull up. My other grandson is 3 1/2 and he is day time trained but my daughter puts a pull up on him at night cause he’s a heavy sleeper, most every morning he wakes up dry so he’s there. Just praise them when they do well and don’t use punishment if they have an accident, they will happen and punishment for having an accident makes them think they were bad. Just explain to them they need to potty on the toilet and not in their underwear

2 Likes

If they’re trying to potty, they’re ready. My daughter was just over 3 when fully trained. Lol it was my son’s paternal grandmother who worked at a nursery school that told her she needed to go in the big girl potty to be in the big kid room while we were on tour. That following Sunday she woke up and walked into the bathroom and the rest was history.

My first son didn’t stop having potty accidents until his third birthday. His grandma was constantly talking about how his father was potty trained by one year old. That’s when we started with our first. Now have a five month old. We’ll see how long it takes with him. My husband was always around older kids when his was little. So I think that helped.

When they can communicate to someone that they need to use the bathroom and can physically pull their own pants up and down…and then if they show interest!

I tried multiple times with my first starting a little before her 2nd birthday. She was doing great for like a week then just stopped. So I tried multiple times but she decided she was ready and was potty trained by herself before she was 4. Struggling with my second one and she’s going to be 4 in November. Putting her in regular panties just doesn’t work. The tactics I used for my first doesn’t work on my second. Still trying to figure out how to get through to her.

1 Like

It’s up to them. I have 4 kids and they all started at different ages. The earliest was 1 and 6 months. And the latest was 4yrs.

My youngest didn’t start training until he was almost 3 then he would pee in the yard. He finally liked not running around with wet pull ups on. He wasn’t completely trained before he was in early Intervention at age 3 so they worked with him and it just all fell into place.
Don’t pressure yourself into a time frame they will know when they are ready and it will all fall into place … all children are different so choose your battles. Good luck :+1::toilet::stuck_out_tongue::heart:

Both my boys are completely different. But what worked for both of them was when I knew they where ready I put them in big boy undies, and after a few accidents they caught on quickly.

Start when you feel he’s ready. My 2nd son will be 2 in January but I’ve started keeping him out of his diaper occasionally just to catch his reaction to see if he’s ready. For the most part, he’s getting the gist of when he has to go poo but not so much the pee part. My oldest who’s 6 was potty trained by the age of 2 but he’s always had problems with bowel movements even now so I didnt really push him-he kind of did it on his own.

Not until they are waking up from naps dry… if they can’t hold it, they will not potty train easily. Parents are always in a hurry to get out of diapers… pull ups cost more and they will go thru them quickly!!! There is no “set” age, typically it is between 2 & 3. Each child is different. But until they are showing signs of waking up dry, your just going to prolong the process! I’ve done child care many years… be patient and it will go quickly!

I started both of my kids at 2. One cought on quick, the other took a little longer. They’re all different!

1 Like

2 boys and 1 girl. Boys were 2 half by time truly got it. Girls seem to get it earlier

The length of time most of you are talking about is just plain ridiculous!!! My first child (girl) was trained by 18 months . Second child was a boy but a little harder because he had to pee a lot. But he was trained by 2 ! I wasn’t about to buy diapers for 3 or 4 years !!!

I have 3 and they were all different. I started them all getting familiar with the potty around 15 or 16 months. I had the little potty in the living room or playroom. my 1st loved to go to the potty all by himself by 2 but had multiple accidents until he was almost 4. my second was fully potty trained by 2 and never had accidents even at night. my 3rd was so stubborned and didn’t want to have anything to do with the potty. I tried everything. most kids by two two and a half don’t want to be wet or dirty. mine could care less. we fought and fought. I put her back in full time pull ups at 3 but still worked hard to get her to be trained. 4 and 1/2 months before her 4th birthday I told her I don’t care anymore if you want wear diapers to school and never go the potty in the toilet. I stopped everything. I never asked her again if she needed to go. 3 weeks later she comes out of her room wearing underwear and never looked back. I wished I had given up a lot sooner. good luck. I would start introducing him to it now but I have learned from experience don’t force it. he will do it on his own terms. rewarding with praise and little treats and making it fun and not a chore sometimes works.

2 Likes

Mine was two when I potty trained her.

I have always told parents to let the child tell you they are ready so if he stays dry all day and seems interested in the potty then it’s time. I also say for boys put a few Cheerios in the pot and have him shoot them this teaches them aim and makes it a fun game so they learn faster

I ran a day care, there was a 4 yr old boy, he would pee on toilet but ask for diaper to poop in. If you did not, he would poop in pants. I started a reward system, I bought a set of cars (from movie “CARS” - was really popular then) He would earn a star for pooing on toilet, 3 stars he got to choose a car. I soon was buying more cars. But he would not do t for Mom, he even told his Mom, “that is for Kathie’s house”

We didn’t start til my son was 2. He’s 2 1/2 now and wears underwear. He doesn’t always poop on the potty but usually we can tell before he goes and try to get him to go and if not we will just put one on him to poop. he still wears a pull up to sleep. My daughter was fully potty trained by 2. I think it depends on when they show interest. You can’t force them to do it if they aren’t ready or they will be completely against it. I work in a daycare and there’s a lot of kids who are 3 and are completely still in pull ups and don’t even want to try to go.

My boys decides when they were ready… One was 3 and one was 3.5 and then youngest was nearly 4. There’s no forcing it. They will do it when they’re ready…

Start when you feel he’s ready . My big girl was fully potty trained by 2yrs but her sister was 4 and hated number 2s on toilet. Fully up to whether they want to do it or not I spose

I started when they were 2 and both boys took longer but fully potty trained but 3

My first born–a boy-- didn’t have any interest. I offered him the potty every day. Finally, the week after his 3rd birthday, he wanted to try the potty. In 4 days, he was totally trained. Even at night. Easiest job ever! My 2nd son? I was convinced he would wear diapers to college!! And my daughter was trained at 18 months. She absolutely hated diapers!!!

I did the long weekend deal right when he turned 2, where I let him run around naked LOL it’s funny thinking back, but it worked. I lived in a rural area so he first learned to pee off the porch. :rofl::rofl:

Get him a potty chair that he can sit in whenever. Then start taking him every hour and a half to two hours. Don’t ask him if he has to go. Tell him it’s time to try to go potty (if you ask, he’s gonna always say no). Forget the stupid pull ups if you have your own washer and dryer. They are nothing but glorified diapers! Much easier to train with underwear and plastic pants(they feel the yuck and often times don’t like it and it’s the necessary push to use the potty).

I started at 2 and whacked my head against the wall until he was 3 and actually figured it out

don’t stress about it…I’m sure he won’t have to pack pull ups when he leaves for college…relax

They will show when they are ready to train. I seen some that wore diapers n Headstart.

My gson started at 2. He’s3 now and still learning. He knows when he has to go but sometimes he is too busy. He still hides when its #2

My son is 3.5. I started a little when he was 2 with pull ups and taking him in the morning and such but when he was 3 I really stepped it up. Switched him to underwear and he will pee on the toilet but will not poop so I still have pull ups for poop otherwise he constipates himself. So he’s not ready to poop there yet but when he is we will have trial and error!

When they start telling you they need changed

All kids are different, I have three grown kids one trained herself, didn’t like to feel the wet.

I trained both of mine as soon as they turned 2. Also put them in regular size bed

Neither of my kids showed interest til 3. After that, it just clicked for them.

It depends on the kids, really, when my oldest boy was just turned 4, I found out I was pregnant with number 5… he had refused to even try to be potty trained… his younger brother age 3 and the one after that was 2… had enough money to get a pack of diapers ( the 3 and 2 wore the same size) and underwear. I went home handed him the underwear and told him, he was potty trained and that was it… he put them on and off he went… no accidents. The other two took about 3 weeks

Every kid has potty cues you just need to watch for them. When you see the cue go to the potty. This whole they’ll do it when they are ready is hogwash. You are the parent. You see the cue its potty time you are teaching the new habit. Stay calm, stay in control.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. When is it time to potty train? - Mamas Uncut

When my babes woke up from the night with a dry diaper, made no difference their age, if they could sit up, I sat them on the potty chair and I sat beside them until they urinated, if it didn’t take too long. The first time it happens, while it is happening, be happy that they are urinating, you can say the word you choose to use, but my suggestion is straight forward and display a happy joyous countenance. When they are done, wipe them and put on the diaper again. Once you’re sure they have the connection between the word pee and the noise they’re making and what’s going on, then if throughout the day you find them dry you can take them in and set them on the potty chair and say let’s go pee or words to that effect. They hopefully will make the connection and do it! If they do, you’re on the way! Keep this up until the times that you catch them are more than the times that you have to change diapers , then you can start working on total training. This job in training a child is actually done successfully by many direct and planned actions on the part of the parent! All but three of my children were trained by 1 year old, and one very close thereafter. Surely saved a lot of diaper washing! Of course that was back in the day!:blush: I wish you well.

My son is two and a half and advanced for his age. He has zero interest in potty training. He knows what the toilet is, knows mom and dad use it to pee and poo but he could absolutely care less about using it. Lol. He probably won’t even start potty training until 3 and I’m ok with that.

11 Likes

My little one is 3 and sometimes goes on the potty. He’ll go for a few days on it by himself every time he needs to go and then one day he just ‘forgets’ and I feel like were back at square one again :roll_eyes: xxx

Both my kids didn’t train fully until 4. He’ll get it when he’s ready to.

4 Likes

I tried right around 2 for my son. He definitely was not ready (and he was still in his crib) I kept trying occasionally and he never showed much interest. Two months ago I tried again, he peed in his small potty one time and that was all it took and he got it. He will be 3 never month and I am glad I waited until he was ready. It was pretty effortless. I wake him up at 3am to go potty, other than that he hasn’t even needed to be reminded.

1 Like

I started my daughter right before she turned 2- took her about 5/6 months.
Started my son at 18 months, took him 2 weeks

3 Likes

We introduced potty training at 2 but my son just had no interest at all, it was a struggle. Finally at 3 he found out he was going to be a big brother so he wanted to be a big boy and decided it was time. Took about a week but he finally got it done. My youngest will be 2 in November, we’ll see how he does

All 3 of my sons started at 16 months and fully toilet training by 18 months . Rewards and encouragement all the way n consistency by me asking . And do not put a nappy back on when going to town either start out as you mean to go on otherwise they get confused it’s ok to wet nappy while out but not at home . Did this with my grand daughter too . We took the potty with us n if she need a wee she used it n we would get a disposable nappy turn it inside out n soak up the wee . But remember to praise praise and rewards help also we use jelly beans but other treats can be used also dried fruit or what ever your child thinks is a treat .

1 Like

My son is 2 years and 3 months … we started at 2… he had no interest prior. I still don’t pressure him . He will take his diaper off and go pee on the potty when he chooses

1 Like

My son was ready at two. Within 4-6 months he was letting us know and was going on his his own. To my surprise he night time potty trained himself as well. Kid hasn’t worn a diaper even at night since two and a half. Keep in mind you have to wait for them to let you know they are ready or you’ll be fighting an uphill battle. I tried two months before he turned two and quit in 2 days it was a nightmare. 2 months later he decided it was time.

My son is perfectly healthy and advanced for his age. He was 3 when he was completely potty trained. He actually picked it up very quickly once he realized he didn’t like dirty or wet pull-ups on his butt. Usually when they can’t stand wet diapers and pull ups and hide when they poop, it’s a sign they may want to be trained. Do not force the issue if the child has no interest, it will just prolong it more and they will down right refuse to potty

2 Likes

My two year old didn’t have any Intrest until a month ago
He was doing great for about a week and lately he’s been back pedaling wanting nothing to do with it
Not gonna push him but will keep tying and encouraging him as before
I’ve heard this is all pretty common behavior
He will get back on track gotta stay positive

I started my son at 2 but he just wasn’t ready yet and had lots of accidents and I didn’t want that to discourage him so I decided to wait until he was ready. You will know when he’s ready. When I knew for mine, he would come and tell me “I pooped, change me” Most kiddos aren’t fully potty trained until 3-3 1/2.
I would ask him if he has to potty every 15 minutes just by setting a timer on my phone, and then every 30 minutes I would have him go try even if he didn’t have to go. That was the first week and then the next Week I would increase the times. I wouldn’t give him anything to drink after 7 and his bed time is 8. We also used Cheerios in the toilet to help him with his aim.
Best of luck!

3 Likes

3 years old mine was ready. Couple of accidents for a few weeks during the day then was dry. To this day (5 and a half now) ges never had an accident at night.
Each child is different. Try it if he/she isn’t ready stop and try again another time. And don’t be discouraged :blush:

My kid is 3.5 and just really has it figured out. He just started pooping in the potty and not in pull-ups at night a week or two ago. He’s not “fully” trained, if you consider night time to be part of it too. He was stubborn and wanted to do it on his own time. I am lucky and he attends a preschool/daycare that helps us encourage him to train throughout the day as well. Every kid is different and boys can tend to take a bit longer. I personally was completely trained before two. That did not happen here. :rofl:

My son was potty trained at 4 and showed no intention of doing so until 3 ish

My older son now 13 was completely potty trained by 2-1/2 and my second son who is 21 months right now has no interest in the potty. He actually just started to sit in a kids chair willingly. Every kid is different. Just needs to be potty trained before he starts pre k or kindergarten.

My son is 2 and isnt interested in the potty! I take him and he sits there and then gets up and goes in the pull up or id catch him stooping down and walk him to the potty to have a BM and he stops it and again, gets off and goes in the pull up.
I said i was going to just put regular undies on him but i don’t know if i want my carpets all wet up. Still debating on that one.
Sometimes he’ll ask to be put on but does nothing.
Im not stressing though, still allowing him to come into on his own while encouraging him also.

My daughter was easier when she was 2!! :triumph:

My 6 year old was trained at 2 but my soon to be 4 year old wasn’t trained until he was 3. He still wears overnights at bedtime because he has accidents during the night. Every child is different. I say wait until he gives you signs he’s ready or it’ll be stressful for the both of you.

Definitely wait til he shows interest but it’s never too late to introduce it to him.

Mine is 2 about to be 3 Aug 30. Is sharp and had some interest but we started at 2 and it’s been near a year and he finally goes on his own… he isn’t night trained yet but definitely a small delay more because he liked being changed…I wouldn’t call it lazy…I think he just thought it was easier…but it truly took a year and he is smart …advanced in other ways a bit but had to stay on him.

Both of my kids got potty chairs for their first birthday and were trained by 2. Consistency is key. Set an alarm for every 30 minutes to an hour. You sit on the big potty while he sits on the little one. I provided a selection of books for them to look at while they are trying to go.

I feel ya🤣 My little dude will turn 2 in two months. We’ve started a bit, he peed once in it(I think it was just by chance.) He just doesn’t seem to understand why we’re doing it. lol One of my best friend’s son was 3.5 when he was fully trained with no pullups. I’ve stopped stressing. They’ll get it. I keep reminding myself “it’s not like they’ll go into Kindergarten not peeing on the potty!”

My son became completely potty trained at 3.5. Don’t rush it. It makes it worse.

My son was fully pee trained in the potty at about 2.5. Hes almost 3.5 and hes just now starting to show interest in pooping in the potty (its been a long painful process so far) I suggest waiting until your son is ready and it’s his idea because itll make potty training go by so much smoother (I’ve had to kind of push my son because 1 he had a baby brother on the way so I was trying to get him outta diapers and now I’m having to push him so he can start school in 2wks)

Honestly think the standard of trying at 2 isn’t accurate. I have 3 boys. The first two trained at 3-4. Last baby is 2.5 and seems to be falling in the same footsteps. He has no interest.

Both my boys were potty trained at 21 months. I love it.

I always say when you know your son or daughter understand other areas of his daily living , kid is ready . But that’s up to us if we want to keep changing pampers .

My boy is almost three and has no desire to even try. When I ask he says no! Don’t like it!

1 Like

My daughter is 16 months. And I’m going this coming week to get her a potty. I really feel like she is ready. She comes to me and lets me know when she dirtied her diaper. So I figured will give a try and see if she is really ready.

I started a month before he turned 3 and on his 3rd birthday he was potty trained we tried earlier on it just didn’t work.

we haven’t even started with our son and he’s going to be 2.5 in November. No rush! You have to do it when they’re ready.

I’ve ready many pediatrician and developmental articles and most concur with waiting until at least 3. Their brains need a certain stage developmentally before trying to train them to understand self realization and responsibility by using the potty.

My son was 2.5 and i took a week of vacation off work and we strictly stayed home and started every 15 mins he would sit then gradually upped it. Put a potty in your main area your in for him

Every child is different, they will let.you know when they are ready!

Every child is different so dont compare your son to another. He will get there when gets there.

My son was trained by 2.5 but was in pull ups at night for much longer. He was also in daycare where they did all the work for me lol It’s normal for boys to potty train a little later than girls, many don’t get the hang of it until after 3.