When should I reveal I have a child to someone I am dating?

So I’ve recently gotten out of a 9 year relationship with someone I share a 5 year old son with. I’m not out there looking for anything serious relationship wise but I’m just letting things flow and whatever happens happens. So my question is, how far into talking to someone do you reveal that you have a child?

27 Likes

Um why wouldn’t it come up right away meeting anyone or in general I bring up my kids

2 Likes

Immediately, unless you plan on putting your child AFTER the person you’re dating :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

First thing I would tell someone.

1 Like

I always tell people about my kids. Why hide it??

2 Likes

Pretty much right after starting to talk to them. If he’s acting weird, I bail. No reason to put up with an arrogant idiot who doesn’t like kids. Why waste time on that?

Immediately, but also make it clear that you arent looking to have them fill the other parents shoes.

3 Likes

Why not state it up front so that if that is a deal breaker, there is no wasting either of your time.

5 Likes

Tell them immediately…and make sure they know that your child comes FIRST

3 Likes

He should already know.

I tell them upfront. Sometimes it’s a deal breaker so I like to get it out of the way before anyone starts having feelings.

1 Like

I waited 6 months… to introduce my bf to my daughter

I tell them right away!

I usually tell them first.

Right from the start

Ya that should be your number 1 point

When would you want him to tell you about his kids?

I think it’s best to bring it up sooner rather than later. Some people aren’t looking to have a ready made family, and they should be given the option to decide whether they want that or not before they develop feelings.

1 Like

Right away, dont wait.

Immediately but please wait a bit to introduce someone.

1 Like

I mean I say ot right away hands down lol lije first day talking.

Right away. So incase he Dont want someone with a child your not wasting your time or his.

1 Like

Right away but not meeting for awhile

First thing u ever tell someone. U dont want to fall for someone and find out they dont want to be in your kids life.

That’s one of the first things I tell a guy. If he chooses not to stay then its loss

Right away. You are a package deal.

You should have already told him that you have a child. Not everyone likes children. It’s good for him to be informed.

1 Like

I was up front with my fiancee. I told him about my boys their fathers and where he stood with them.

Get a feel for them . first dates dont have to be a full on documentary of your life. Have fun see if you have chemistry and get along if not it’s none of their buisness that your a single mom w children at home. People can be scary these days protect your self and be picky who you share your life w .

2 Likes

Right away.

No sense wasting time w someone who doesn’t like or want children.

On the other hand many people are open to loving your child as their own.

Best wishes for you to find a loving partner who loves your child.

Right away tf! Right away! That’s the 1st thing that flew out of my mouth. If you dont like kids you gotta go honey. Bye!

1 Like

First time meeting, people know. NEVER hide your child. I can’t even talk to random people without mentioning my kids, something they do etc. Fuck hiding it from a date.

Wait what?
Isn’t that like a basic detail you share when you first start seeing someone like your age, name, kids, single/divorced/etc?

1 Like

Right away. However, depending on the circumstances regarding your break up, wait quite awhile before introducing new people to your child.

1 Like

Hi my name is … I like long walks and I have a 5 year old son, his name is …

2 Likes

Uh the first day. How awkward would it be if you told them now and they get pissed you held that back. That’s a big deal

Bring it up straight away.
But you don’t actually need them to meet until you or the guy is ready

I have told them immediately as if they can’t handle it we don’t waste time and get involved to go no where.

1 Like

I always told people up front that I have kids. I didnt let them meet my kids or tell them any details about them though, because you gotta earn the right to know my kids. My husband is the first guy that actually I let meet my kids, but I was always upfront about having them.

1 Like

Ummm even before anything starts

2 Likes

My advice would be immediately. Everyday is school for me, but I think being honest upfront speaks volumes. Now, with that being said, I wouldn’t introduce my child to this person right away. Get to know them and see where the relationship goes before bringing your child into the mix. The child could get attached and things not work out, or you may find that the person you are talking to isnt good with children. When children are involved dating is tricky.

Umm from the very beginning?

1 Like

How have you been kinda seeing him and somehow your kid never come into the convo?

The first three minutes.

3 Likes

I believe that it is something that could be brought up soonish after starting to date. That doesnt mean introduce them until you feel the guy is safe enough but they should know if you have to cancel or cant talk since you are dealing with your child.

Right away. What if that’s a deal breaker for the person?

2 Likes

Immediately. What if they don’t like kids? You can stop things in their tracks and prevent any heartache for you and your child right off the bat.

1 Like

When I was dating I let them know beforehand, but also made it clear that they wouldn’t be meeting my daughter unless I was certain that I was going to marry them (to help ward off anybody who thought they could get to my child through me).

1 Like

I would disclose this information immediately. I would also wait awhile before you introduce your kids to the person you are seeing.

3 Likes

Right away dont let yourself be bothered by people who dont see a child in their future when one already exsists because fun can become serious

Considering your kids ARE the most important thing everrrr, I would have said something the first day.

2 Likes

If it was me, I would like to know right off the bat

First second you meet them…

2 Likes

Wyf… As soon as u talk to them…

Personally it’s the way I weeded out the ones that mattered. I never kept my kids a secret— why would I?

1 Like

Immediately…You certainly don’t have to introduce them quickly, but the other person should have a choice to date someone with a child or not.

4 Likes

I would do it right away. Child doesn’t have to be present or meet new person til you are comfortable with them.

Ugh… Is this a joke?

6 Likes

Don’t ever tell. Tell him the kid just showed up on your doorstep. You have no idea who it is…

17 Likes

What kind of question is this, if your a Mom when do you go a whole conversation without talking about your kid. First date!!!

9 Likes

I think the person should know you have a kid right away, but don’t introduce them till you know the person well enough to actually trust them in your kid’s life.

2 Likes

Why would you even wait if this person doesn’t want a child then see Ya your bad for not saying something sooner

1 Like

Immediately! Me personally didnt date or want to date after divorcing my ex narcissistic husband. It was 6 years before I dated anyone but was completely honest with them that my kids come before anyone even me!!

Should be one of the first things out of your mouth :joy::woman_facepalming:t3:

1 Like

Tell them right away. I’d wait at least 3 months before the first introduction though.

Well for me its like this, when. U brag about the one thing in your life that u love more than anything…God, etc…
U never ever mask it or hide it. You literally can’t stop talking about it. It’s a love u will never ever find again…in no man. A mother’s love is Separate from a man’s love

Before you start dating them :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

That should be a part of the convo before you even decide to meet up with someone on a date. Take your time before you bring your child around the person you are dating though.

lol whats there to hide it? like just say your a mum right from the get go! its not as if u guna love the man and choose him over your kid if he doesnt approve u have a kid to someone else!.. honestly u gotta stop pussy footing with that when dating. there is no set time… u say from day dot!!!

1 Like

That should be your first question. My husband knew going further from day one that I had two kids and that they were a package deal. That was our first conversation of my kids are my number 1.

2 Likes

Why would that not be in the first conversation ever?

4 Likes

You should be upfront about being a parent. I’d also suggest that you hold off on sharing details about your child. Lastly definitely only let someone who has proven that they are committed to being in a stable and healthy relationship with you meet your child. Children get attached quickly!

1 Like

You should have mentioned that at the very beginning, weather you are looking for long term or not! Let him decide if he wanted to get involved with a single mom. How would you feel if after months of dating to find out he does NOT want to date someone with children or a child, then breaks it off immediately? That hurt could have been avoided early on. Think twice about what you are doing…:thinking:

3 Likes

Before you go out with them

1 Like

It weird to even ask this question. My child is my entire life. Odds are I cant talk to someone for more than 10 minutes without mentioning my kid. Why would you hide that for any length of time at all? No decent mon would ever “wait to tell someone” they have a child…

8 Likes

Right away, i tell people straight away, I mean how else am I going to describe myself or talk about who i am when they ask…
Im a 39 yo single mom with 5 kids and a 9 month old grandson :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

That should be the first thing you talk about.

2 Likes

First thing that you should tell him.

1 Like

Right away. Kids are a deal breaker for some people

9 Likes

I have never been in this situation but I think it’d be something I’d bring up immediately. My son is such a huge part of my life, part of me and I just don’t even think I’d be able to stop myself from talking about him lol. I’m a mom, it’s who I am it’s what I am and I am a mom first and foremost so I really think I’d bring it up like right away.

2 Likes

You should have let him know from the beginning

2 Likes

Yeah they should have known before y’all started dating.

2 Likes

If it’s not serious why tell them? But I mean why hide your kid too?
When you say you can’t go out or you’re busy or with your child what do you tell them? You lie?
I’m flat out about mine; and they can kick rocks if there’s issue. He’s my entire world and if you’re even going to be graced by me you’re gonna know
But everyone’s different

1 Like

When I started dating I was honest I had a kid didn’t want to waste time but if it was a hit it and quite didn’t say anything but if I wanted to be a potential of going further then I said something right away however it was a few months before they met now we r happily married

After at least 6 months or more

3 Likes

As soon as you meet someone so you’re not wasting their time and you’re if they are not ok with kids. You’ll weed out the assholes faster.

First time you talk.

4 Likes

I do a casual meet n greet at a playground or something because I want to see how they are with kids. If they dont pass that test it’ll save me the trouble later on. They’re just a friend til at least a year mark. No sleepovers etc… in my opinion. Especially with being newly single.

1 Like

Right away!! Honestly, I’d start with that!

4 Likes

Umm that should be a #1 topic!!!
Your child is your priority!

4 Likes

You should tell em b

Right after you told the guy your name.

9 Likes

The first sentence? Wtf.

8 Likes

That should be 1 of your first conversations, some ppl dont want to deal with kids and obviously that’s a deal breaker …I would def wait several months before introducing your child though

7 Likes

from the very start you must told him about your child coz he is a very important part of ur life,by not telling straight forward to him,it means your child is a taboo to you,u r not proud of him,what if the man ur dating can’t accept him?be honest enough

4 Likes

My husband knew front that I had four. Still asked me out. At the end of our first date he asked if I could have more. If I would of said no. That was a deal breaker. He loves all of mine (he calls his) and loves our two together. (The 4 are way older. Teens to adults). Cut the silver lining and don’t waste each other’s time and heartache in the future. You are a package. Your kid is not luggage.

6 Likes

That’s the first thing that should be said upfront

3 Likes

I just here for the comments… Because my momma told me that if i don’t have anything nice to say don’t say anything at all. …

13 Likes

When they ask you to tell them about yourself?

4 Likes

Little weird that the person you’re dating doesnt know about your kids :woman_facepalming:t3: yikes.
Mine is like all I talk about I don’t see how they haven’t come up into conversation at all

4 Likes