When should I reveal I have a child to someone I am dating?

Uhhh like the 1st 15 seconds of the convo

1 Like

Yes ma’am he’s gotta know what he’s getting into… And say you want to have a future with said guy after a while, he’s gotta know!

not when you meet but definitely on first date

Straight up tell them. Like “hi I’m ___. I have ___ children. Is that a problem? If it is then please tell me so we can be on our way. Thanks!” It’ll help weed out potential dates/partners as well and it opens up about something that can make or break some relationships later on. Better to get that out of the way before things get serious and they find out later and freak out or worse.

3 Likes

Um…right away. Is this a real question???

4 Likes

Or ask them “are you allergic to children? Because I have one(some).” This opens up for them to take it as a joke or tell you how they actually feel. My kids come first. My fiancé and I told each other about our kids the first day we talked almost three years ago. He knew I was pregnant with my youngest when we first started talking. Our first date was for lunch at the hospital because my youngest had an appointment that morning, which was almost a year after we first started talking, so he knew for a long time that I had kids and that they are my everything

Don’t waste his time or yours. Be upfront. You’d be surprised how many REAL MEN don’t consider that a deal breaker. If the guy doesn’t like it, then he’s not for you. PERIOD.

2 Likes

Um your child should always come first. And by not telling someone is a form of lying that could ruin anything you already had going.

From the start…I had child with ex husband…never hid it from any guy I dated…if he wasn’t interested in having kids then obviously it wouldn’t work…even if just having fun…they don’t understand or care if you have to cancel because of sick kid or school play…a real man would go with you to play or ask if he can do anything…you definitely don’t want other kind around you…

Like the first few minutes of the first conversation you have😂 I can’t go a full sentence without mentioning my daughter😂

3 Likes

Straight away. I’ve only ever introduced one to my kid. But they’ve all known about my kid.

1 Like

Right away you tell them right away wtf

2 Likes

From the start. If your anything like I was my kids were the only thing I had to talk about. An still do.

1 Like

I think if it’s just sex then you don’t have too. Casual dating then by the 3rd date or so… That is if you think their gonna stick around.

Hi my name is…I am mother to a 5yr old…:woman_shrugging:t5::woman_shrugging:t5:

7 Likes

You guys gotta think of safety first. Not everyone she meets should know about her kid and that exposing your child to multiple people can cause trauma or resentment.

1 Like

When I started dating my now husband, I wasn’t looking for anything. I tried everything to get him to run. First thing I told him was I have a 1.5 year old. Lol
Told him all sorts of stuff that I thought he’d run from…but here we are 10 years later with 2 more kids. Just be bold and upfront and everything will fall in to place as it should be.

1 Like

Immediately. Now, your child knowing/seeing them? That’s a whole different scenario.

3 Likes

Isn’t a child the most exciting part of your life? Your heart outside of your chest? Why wouldn’t you want that to be the first thing known to someone that your talking too? Not that they should meet your child first hand though but let it be known.

2 Likes

Telling someone in the first conversation IMO.
Now introducing them to my kids would be different.

2 Likes

I dont think it needs announced to everyone sec u meet. I mean your son is pretty special and they need to be pretty special to consider telling. How I personally feel.

1 Like

Tell them right away you have a kid or kids. But don’t have them meet your kids until you know it’s serious and there has been enough time you have been seeing them.

3 Likes

Straight away, pretty much within a day

2 Likes

Honestly in my opinion if it were me it would probably pop out of my mouth within the first 5 10 min lmao I mean my life revolves around them and its hard not to bring them up BUT meeting them is a different story you dont do that at all unless you’re for sure serious about it and are comfortable with them

4 Likes

Id tell them right away…

1 Like

During the first conversation.

4 Likes

You. Should tell them immediately. But you wait to introduce them for a good little while.

6 Likes

Um like in the getting to know you phase :woman_facepalming:t2::joy:

2 Likes

Like the first thing lol

1 Like

That’s part of the getting to know you part surly , obviously they don’t meet the child for quite sometime if it progress but they need to know you because as harsh as it sounds some people just don’t want to bee involved with a person with children

2 Likes

Don’t intruduce that person to your child until it gets serious but do they that person you have a child. And that the child is top priority.

2 Likes

Before the first date!

I let them know straight away if it scares them off they aint worth my time

3 Likes

Instantly. You wait forever or at least until you’re sure they’re the one before you let them meet your child, but tell them you’re a parent right away.

1 Like

I made it part of my bio on a dating app. Big letters. “I AM A MOM. my son comes first. If you can’t handle that move along”

7 Likes

Right away honesty is the best policy but don’t introduce your child until way later maybe a year or two

That would be the first thing I would say!

Idk about u but my daughter is my LIFE, there’s no me without her, I wouldn’t be able to go 5 min talking to someone without mentioning her. So I’d say immediately.

4 Likes

Immediately. Having a child could be a deal breaker for some. They don’t need to meet the child until much later but they need to know the child exist.

1 Like

Like the first thing?

Probably on your wedding day. That seems the best, most reasonable time. It could be like : ‘so-so isn’t just the flower girl, but she’s also your new daughter. Surprise!’ You know, make it fun for everyone. :blush:

8 Likes

You should tell them your a parent immediately…while you’re still talking before your first date. Whether you’re looking for something serious or not

Right away you tell them but you don’t bring them into your home or around your child until you know as much as you can about this person which takes time.

You are a mom first. So be upfront. But do not involve your son in dating.

Immediately, why would not share this?

don’t hide it, but don’t introduce your son to anyone unless you think the relationship is going somewhere.

Straight away but also they wouldn’t meet the child for a very long time

2 Likes

I would tell them right away. Why waste time if they aren’t ok with it?

First thing you should tell them

Him: soo tell me about you
Her: well! I have a darling 5yr old who is the Joy’s of my life ( and we carry on smartly). Lol

5 Likes

That’s something I would say the moment I introduce myself to anyone because it’s not just me my kids are me in a sense :joy:

2 Likes

The first date… even before the first date. The first conversation.

1 Like

Never, have sex with the dude and show him the kid the next day and say its his

3 Likes

Don’t be a coward that should be the first thing you tell someone that your seeing. That way they know that your child comes first. Also if it’s nothing serious I wouldn’t introduce them but just make it clear that they know you have a child.

1 Like

Before I got involved with anyone I let them know I had kids. If they walk away it says alot. I’m now with my guy for 4 yrs and he treats my kids like his own.

I’m single and that the first thing I tell any guy I’m talking to

Hi my name is and I have a child smh :woman_facepalming:

Immediately. Don’t want to waste your time or theirs, should they not like kids or whatever. And then consider not introducing them until… you’re serious enough that you’ve discussed living together and getting married. Unless you’re codependent and you jump into relationship after relationship, then maybe don’t introduce them until like a year or 2 into the marriage… you know, just to be sure.

2 Likes

I’m married with kids, but I would think it would probably end up coming up in conversation long before you have to worry about purposely bringing it up, know what I mean?

If not, I would say before the first date. Why waste your time or his if that’s not what he’s about?

1 Like

I tell someone right away that I have a child. Doesn’t mean you have to share details about your child but your a mother first and foremost and if you hide that up front than it says alot about your character. I never share details about my child if I’m not comfortable doing so. That’s my business and it’s also your right to protect that too. Just always tell the truth about being a mother. You don’t have to go into details about anything if you don’t want just say I have a child or children and I just wanted to be up front with you about it but I also am not ready to share that part of me until I get to know you and you get to know me for me.

2 Likes

Immediately. Some people (I don’t understand it but) don’t like or want children. Tell them on the first date. Before the date, if possible. Mention that you will need to schedule a sitter before you can accept. That’ll give them time to come up with an excuse to cancel if they want to and if they do, just leave it at that.

First two words next time you see him.

Right away. He should be known at the very beginning before anything even starts. He is part of you…shouldn’t get involved with someone before felljng them you have a child.
If they are worth it they will choose to stick around.
But in also wouldn’t let them meet for a WHILE.

You should tell them you have children, honestly is always best. Just don’t introduce your child to anyone unless it’s serious.

1 Like

right away… why is this a secret? are you worried it will turn them off? if so good let them run!!

2 Likes

Reveal? Right away. Have them meet your child…different story lol but deff be honest upfront. It helps weed them out quicker too.

2 Likes

Now! Be proud of your children. If he don’t like it, Hit the road Jack!

1 Like

I would say it immediately. I dont give details about my child other than her age and that she is my whole world. Sets the standards from the beginning. I’m with the father of my child, but if I wasnt, that’s how I would approach it.

1 Like

U should be looking for a serious relationship
Unless u want to find scum bags?
You son is your pride and joy
1st thing to say is u have a child
He can run for the hills
He can never call u back
Whatever…but dont hide it

Now for introducing child to bf…need to make sure there r no red flags ur ignoring or hidden ones
And make sure hes serious.

The first day…? Lol why is this a question?

13 Likes

Well considering your child is a pretty big part of your life and always will be… You tell them immediately.

6 Likes

Immediately. Also make it clear that you arent trying to have them fill the other parents shoes.

1 Like

Immediately. If not sooner.

1 Like

Prayers to everyone involved.

Right away . Children come first .

1 Like

I told my husband right away about my then almost 3 year old. So I’d agree with everyone about right away.

Before you agree to the date.

I say before you even think about being in a relationship with that person. That’s one of those things that CANNOT be kept a secret. I was friends with my bf of almost a year now first so we talked about it before we were together but it definitely something that needs to be out in the open

3 Likes

I would ensure the man was a good fit as a step father role model, so I would allow him to interact with my son and see if they’re a match just as much as we’re a match.

what are you waiting for ??? That would be the very first thing that needs to be said.

Immediately if he doesnt like kids whats the point.Your a packaged deal now and he should kno it from the get go. Also i wont introduce your child to the guy unless you are serious about him.You dont want them to get attached to the guy if its just a fling.

2 Likes

Not until you see how well you get along. Does he deserve to know that info? There are a lot of predators out there. Better safe than sorry. Especially if you’re only looking for a date.

1 Like

Prob should make it known ASAP. Kids aren’t something you should hide from someone.

You should be proud of a precious gift called our child… It couldn’t be unkept…

Right away. Having a kid isn’t a secret. If you talk to someone for months and bring up by the way, I have a kid, makes you seem like you are untrustworthy.
Like what else is this person hiding, cause a kid is pretty huge thing to hide.

That’s one of the first questions asked when meeting almost anyone for the first time :woman_shrugging:

First date. But he doesn’t meet child unless it’s serious…

1 Like

From the get go better putting all your cards on the table and seeing if that’s something they would mind instead of leading someone on and wasting each other’s time.

The first meeting. Don’t hide your kiddo. If they aren’t ok with it they aren’t for you.

2 Likes

I always tell everyone I talk to bout my son right away. Like I’ll just start talking bout him or if I take a while to respond and it’s due to caring for my kid I tell them just that. “sorry I was putting my son to bed” or “sorry I was changing my son” etc.

Immediately. It’s a pkg deal. Hide it you lose. Be honest up front. You’re viewed as being honest.

Immediately. But don’t get confused with letting them know you have a kid with letting them see or meet your kid. There are different levels but then knowing up front could be a make or break deal and better to know up front what’s up.

2 Likes

Immediately. My boyfriend knew that I have kids, and I knew about/had met his before he even asked me out. Your child is not something you need to hide or should hide. It doesn’t matter if you’re wanting a serious relationship with someone or not.

The first day.I dont know how any other way would even be an option.

upfront, so either they take you and your child upfront, hook line and stinker, stinker, or they don’t cut to the dam chase, who you playing gurl? real is real, go broke or go home period, you win in the end,

3 Likes

when you really want an answer, look within, who are you? ‘‘who’’ are you’’? if you jus wanna ear what ya wanna ear? then pick which suits yer,

The 1st time on the phone with said person. I’d let them know you have kids right away. …dont always have to meet them til you know where things are headed. Good luck😁

Immediately, it’s a package deal

2 Likes

Right away before feelings get strong as they may not want kids

1 Like

Immediately! Be proud that God blessed you with a child!

1 Like