When to start babies on solids?

How often should I be giving my 3 month old infant oatmeal ?

115 Likes

Really is a question for your doctor… I say not at all till 6 months unless there is a actual reason for it.

4 Likes

Not at all for another three months

8 Likes

Neber, try in 3 more months.

4 Likes

Never. No solids until 6 months.

10 Likes

I’d give my son a spoonful in every bottle cause he was just so so hungry. It was what I felt he needed, an it helped him stay full. Less crying. Sleeping better. He’s now 2 an thriving lol.

12 Likes

Never. No solids till 6 months.

7 Likes

Oatmeal is not recommended until the child is One yr old only Rice Cereal

I… never. No food before 6 months

4 Likes

Food before 1 is just for fun.

4 Likes

Nothing till 4 months not before

1 Like

Never! This is outdated information. Breastmilk or formula is enough. Start introducing nutrient rich foods such as sweet potato purées at 6 months.

6 Likes

Not till at least 6 months old

3 Likes

Uhmmm never LMFAO. Too young.

5 Likes

Ask your doctor. If your baby is a supported sitter it would probably be okay. Also, my doctor said this was okay at 2.5 months. He was a supported sitter then as well. It helped him a ton with his spit up.

4 Likes

You shouldn’t ve giving your 3 mnth old oatmeal

3 Likes

Never. Its too early. Wait until 6 months

3 Likes

Not until 6 months! Research it mama. And for those who say they did and their child is fine…issues caused by starting solids too early often dont show until much later in life.

9 Likes

Not at all at three months, you also shouldn’t listen when people tell you to put it in a bottle. They have rules against that because of choking. Someone else’s kid may not have choked, but yours could.

4 Likes

Once a day thats at breakfast time

Never unless doctor recommended…

2 Likes

I gave my kids food at 3 mths one in the morning one at night

6 Likes

3 months is too little :disappointed: ask your doctor :woman_health_worker:

3 Likes

My twins have been getting rice cereal in their bottles since they were 1 week old. Their dr recommended it for their reflux and they have never had a problem. They are now 3 1/2 months and I just started rice cereal with a spoon. If you try any type of cereal do rice first.

13 Likes

You shouldn’t. Whenever starting cereals, it should be rice.

2 Likes

When YOU feel she/he can digest it fully and if at all only at bed time. ITS YOUR BABY AND YOU KNOW THAT BABY BETTER THEN ANYONE!

8 Likes

Do people just not ask or listen to doctors any more! Its the same questions over and over again… And some of the questions I truly wonder how some keep their kids alive at all!

9 Likes

Never. It’s empty calories and nothing but breast milk/formula for the first 6 months. Cereal/oatmeal can cause choking and starting solids early can cause open gut.

10 Likes

Rice cereal also has no nutritional value at all for those that say to try that

2 Likes

Never until he/she is 6 months old.

2 Likes

I started my babies at 4 months only a few bites in the morning. I made it in a bowl mixed with breast milk or you can use formula. My kids pediatrician gave me the ok :ok_hand:

7 Likes

I waited until my doctor recommended with our youngest and feeding was so much easier when he started eating baby food. I think he was 6 months.

You should ask the pediatrician but for both of my kids we were told to wait until at least 6 months for anything besides milk.

1 Like

I’m old school I usually fed my babies their last feeding at nite 9:00 usually full tummy’s an a good nites sleep for everyone. My kids were getting cereal at 2 months. Some babies can tolerate it I used rice not oatmeal.

7 Likes

Ask your dr. Ours told us our son could start at three months.

1 Like

I wouldn’t not that young

1 Like

Not that young sweetie. Maybe when baby hits 4 months and up when you start baby foods. And the doctor gives an okay. :heart: Good luck though!

1 Like

A little pinch in the baba at night

8 Likes

Poor mama…
I gave my little guy cereal in the morning before or after his morning feed. It was a small amount. And before I ate dinner. Again, a small amount.

He’s 1 1/2 now and still eats quite a lot.
I did the same with my oldest. He’s almost 3 and still fine. :relaxed:

3 Likes

At the recommendation of my pediatrician, I started my (then) two month old on oatmeal in her bottles because she had terrible reflux and very poor weight gain (well below failure to thrive level). She’s done great on it, but I definitely wouldn’t do it without a doctor supervising/recommending it. Her bottles are VERY thick. And I never would have imagined a baby could drink something so thick but she’s finally thriving!

2 Likes

Nothing but breast milk/formula until 6 months is highly recommended.

4 Likes

Never, the baby is too young for oatmeal or baby food. It will likely give the little one digestive issues or the baby could choke. Stick to breastfeeding or formula.

4 Likes

My babies was started on cereal when they was a month old and they are now almost teenagers it didn’t hurt them

6 Likes

They say not to start until 6 months.

2 Likes

Maybe a tiny bit in a night time bottle only once a day…thats all thoe

1 Like

I was giving my son rice cereal at 4 weeks old. He wasn’t satisfied with breastmilk. The dr was fine with it. You’re with your child more than anyone else so use your own judgement. I used a feeder bottle… if I would have waited until he was 6 months the kids would have been hungry all of the time. I started him of fruits at 3 months with a spoon. He was on human food at 8 months due to three jars of stage three foods weren’t filling him up…

6 Likes

Babies aren’t suppose to have anything other then formula or breast milk until atleast 5-6months!

10 Likes

I started cereals at about 8 weeks with mine. She was so hungry and not getting satisfied with just formula. I could not imagine ever going to 6 months of age without cereal, etc.

10 Likes

I give mine oatmeal every bottle she drinks 8 ounces and I put a table spoon of oatmeal in . She was born full term but was only 5 pounds. She doesn’t spit up as much now and is gaining weight that she needed . And her pediatrician knows.

3 Likes

None at all unless they e been diagnosed with reflux

Not at all until 6 months old

3 Likes

I didn’t start my son on rice cereal until 6 months. Only recently started oatmeal

1 Like

None for another 3 months

2 Likes

How about you get off Facebook and TALK TO YOUR PEDIATRICIAN about your infant!!! :rage::woman_facepalming:t2: we don’t know your child and clearly you don’t either! Every child is different as 3 months most infants can’t Digest oatmeal yet… it’s your baby. You have to deal with the screams from them being in pain from the constipation. Then again, some 3 month olds can handle oatmeal, most if not ALL can’t! :woman_shrugging:

7 Likes

Ask your doc. Many recommend waiting til 6 months. With my family history of allergies I chose to wait.

1 Like

I mean ppl on here saying they do and u Should r stupid and ignorant unless ur baby has major acid reflux!!! Wow

2 Likes

NEVER! Baby’s gut isn’t ready!

3 Likes

They are supposed to start cereal at 4 months and then once a day till u start baby food our daughter is 6 months old and just now eating baby food 3 times a day and she turned 6 months on may 1st

1 Like

I started mine at 2 mos on rice no oatmeal until later

3 Likes

Lol. Clearly some of these mommas have never had grandmothers and great grandmothers and grandfathers, etc slip their baby something.

2 Likes

at that age, not at all.

3 Likes

none! you should be consulting your childs pediatrician FIRST, NOT facebook!!!

3 Likes

If this was suggested by doc, ask pedi. If not suggested by your doc I wouldn’t offer oatmeal without medical reason

Do your child a favor and ask your child’s doctor everyone here has a different opinion

2 Likes

I gave my baby oatmeal that young and hes perfectly healthy . And okay .

3 Likes

Ask your dr. My daughter had oatmeal in her bottle at 2 mo. Per drs orders.

1 Like

None until they’re 6 months.

3 Likes

Too little. 6 months to try oatmeal and baby food.

2 Likes

Baby cereal yes, in the evening before bed to help sleep better.

3 Likes

My baby has had RICE cereal here and there before bedtime…no issues whatsoever…

None until they are at least 6 months old and even then it’s not necessary, it’s just a filler.

2 Likes

Um that’s a never. Wait until 6 months

5 Likes

So again I am having to explain the dangerous and risks of giving babies any type of food before 6 months.

• babies digestive systems are not capable of properly digesting anything but breastmilk or formula for the first 6 months.
  • babies before 6 months have a “open-gut” meaning proteins pass into the bloodstream that are ingested. These proteins should only be the ones from bm or formula
    -introducing cereal before 6 months can cause babies to have asthma, eczema & allergies.
    -any type of solids is basically just empty calories for baby, 90% of their nutrition needs to come from bm or formula for the first year of life.
    Babies are just not ready for solids before 6 months & there is absolutely no reason to rush foods.
    It is also now recommended to skip rice cereal COMPLETELY. If you choose to do a cereal go with something whole grain. I will post reputable links and informational graphics below. Let’s keep these babies healthy & happy :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
11 Likes

My sons 4 months and his doctor told me I can start him on rice or oatmeal and then baby food after he gets used to the spoon.

2 Likes

Lol, I have a 6 year old, 3 year and now a 1 week old, I gave my 2 older kids cereal at 2 months for Acid Reflux recommended by the pediatrician, and i always start baby food with them around 3-4 months when they watch me eating. :joy::joy: oh well everyone parents differently! You’re momma. You will do what’s best for your baby!

4 Likes

Generally it’s between 4-6months before babies start on solids.

My girl started solids at 4 months. Started off once a day. 6months she was havin 2 meals a day. Now almost 8months and she is having 3 meals a day. She’s perfectly healthy. And even quite advanced for her age. She will be walking very soon. The recommended age to start solids is 4months old now. Used to be no solids till 6months but doctors have since changed their mind. 4 months they can start on fruit etc just no egg or cows milk products until 6 months :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Not until he’s 6 months old. …

4 Likes

And if your pediatrician is saying ANYTHING different they are going off outdated information. Know better, do better.

7 Likes

I gave both of my kids cereal (rice and oatmeal) before bed time around 3-4 months. They were hungry and it helped fill them up to sleep through the night. They are older now and are just fine and eat great!!! Feed that baby!!!

6 Likes

Sometimes I feel like these questions are a set up to get us triggered.

18 Likes

Never. Their stomachs aren’t ready for solids until at least 6 months. If that doesn’t satisfy you, call your pedi.

5 Likes

You don’t give him oatmeal yet, any pediatrician will tell u that

6 Likes

Too soon, usually around 4-6 months

3 Likes

Not at all. That’s way too young.

2 Likes

Please talk to your dr before doing this and make sure your baby meets all the readiness signs some are sits unassisted, holds their chin off their chest and lost the trusting reflex with their tongue

1 Like

Awesome! Look at all the pediatricians and doctors on here!

Baby shouldn’t have solids till they’re able to sit up on their own and or okayed by their pediatrician.

3 Likes

Depends why you are giving it? Is it for acid reflux? Then every bottle but not a whole lot :purple_heart:

You shouldn’t be at all right now.

3 Likes

an hr or 2 before their last bottle/ boob for the night. my son had his dinner at 7:30, had a bath and some play time before boob and bed at 8:30-9pm

3 Likes

My pediatrician told us to give it to him once or twice a day around 4 months if he is acting hungry. Dont listen to people who keep saying dont or never or not until 6 months. You can call your pediatrician and ask about it. They are the ones with facts. Not based on what other people do.

3 Likes

It absolutely floors me that there are so many moms saying they started baby food at 3 months. It’s not safe. Why do something that is completely unnecessary and could harm your child?!

11 Likes

That’s a question for your pediatrician, not random people on the Internet. :woman_facepalming:t2: Not trying to be snarky, but seriously… EVERYONE is gonna give you a different opinion. The only ones you should listen to are your doctor, and other mothers that you KNOW and TRUST… I personally didn’t give my kids any solid food at that age, only breast milk. That doesn’t mean that’s the right thing for your baby, but that’s what my pediatrician suggested and I trusted him.

4 Likes

Never. Solids shouldn’t be introduced until baby can sit properly around 6 months and should never be put in a bottle unless your baby has some sort medical condition such as acid reflux and then only as prescribed by your pediatrician.

4 Likes

Baby cereals are empty calories and serve zero nutritional value. Wait until 6mos and start baby purees and solid finger foods.

6 Likes

5 kids and all around 3-4 mos.

3 Likes

Uh ask your pediatrician that’s what they’re there for not some open forum. Let’s just ask every different mother in the world who all mostly have the same or different opinions. You know my pediatrician didn’t just go to school for 6-12+ years for nothing. Jussayin.

Ask your doctor most of the people here don’t realize that oatmeal helps with tummy issues just like you can start a baby on rice cereal at like 2 months if they’re acting like they’re not getting enough to eat best bet is a doctor not Facebook not trying to be rude.

2 Likes

Our pediatrician let us start our boy on baby cereal at 3 months and told us to give it to him ONCE a day. But never in a bottle, only spoon fed out of a bowl mixed with formula. Hope this helps!