When will they end testing for COVID before you give birth?

While i would not agree with your not being tested, you can always refuse any and all testing or interventions. If you do not want to be tested they cant make you. Also some places are doing an oral swab instead.

I wouldn’t let this be a deciding factor to try to conceive.

1 Like

If a swab scares you now… just wait till you go into labour!! :joy::joy:

2 Likes

Depends on your hospital but COVID is definitely not over

Puppies are cute. Cats are easy

If that’s your concern then I don’t think you should try to get pregnant lol

2 Likes

If you’re letting covid testing determine when u want to have a baby… maybe get a puppy instead :woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging::woman_facepalming:

5 Likes

I’ve had a baby and I’ve had the covid swab, and I’m more scared of getting the covid swab than giving birth and im due to give birth next month! I really dont want another covid test done it hurt so much I was in tears they have to go so far up my nose and eyes hurt for days after

1 Like

Its to protect the other patients, people can carry it and not have symptoms, think of it like this, the lady in the bed next to you didnt get tested, ends up having it, and gives it to you and your newborn without knowing, which in turn means any staff that came in contact with them, then has to go into a 14 day quarantine, could be multiple nurses, which we need desperately at the moment, they dont do it just for fun, the concequences of not doing it are massive.

If a nose swab scares you, you dont need kids. Get on birth control

6 Likes

People need to know that you are under no obligations to get that test or anything done. It is your right.

1 Like

If you want your SO to be included in any of your prenatal care and be guaranteed to go into the hospital with you while you give birth, I would wait a while. Being pregnant during all this has sucked, especially with my first baby

Home birth is better anyways

1 Like

I would guess a couple years? Not any time soon.

If you aint ready for a swab in the nasal cavity you got another thing coming once labor hits…

4 Likes

If the COVID swab scares you pregnancy should be a terrifying thought.

5 Likes

Our hospital it’s optional, but stressed more for those going in for scheduled c sections or induction. & I’m the same way, I was terrified to do it, luckily went into labor on my own & didn’t have to feel pressured or anything.

Id go through labor 500.times before getting that swab shoved up my nose…

If a covid test scares you, why would you have a baby​:joy::joy::joy:

A nasal swab is much less uncomfortable than giving birth, I’ll tell you that much and when you’re pregnant they’ll be poking and prodding all over with swabs and needles anyways, not to mention vaginal wand ultrasounds and strangers sticking their face up into your nethers. I’m absolutely not trying to spook you out if having a baby, but a ten second nasal swab is nothing compared the pregnancy and labor and healing afterwards.

8 Likes

Okay let me start by saying that if your concern is getting a nasal swab… get a cat or dog instead of getting pregnant because oh lordy. They’re going to swab much more concerning places.

Also for those of you who have said the covid swab hurts. That means the phlebotomist or cna wasnt doing it correctly it should never hurt to have your nose swabbed.

4 Likes

You’re about to get torn open front to back and THAT is the only thing that scares you?!

Epidurals may give you back problems. Kids costs $$$. They might tear your va jay jay or have your bikini line sliced open. A nose swab will just irritate you

I guarantee there will be way worse testing during pregnancy than a covid test. If it’s really that concerning to you maybe you should look into the testing done throughout pregnancy so you’re prepared.

Dude, no joke I got anxiety about them trying to force the flu shot on me. About the rogam shot. Every pregnancy. Your anxiety about the swab is real. Dont let these people make you feel less than. I had 4 babies and still got Stressed about the shots. You can be a good, deserving mom and get anxiety about things that others deem silly. Im sorry that’s a stressor for you. I dont think it will go away anytime soon. I know some people that say it’s a breeze and doesnt hurt and others say it’s awful. Theres no way to know which one you’ll be. Just like some people opt for repeat c sections because it was easy for them and mine was awful so I stubbornly.pushed for vbac. Everyone is different. A nose swab is worth it though even if its uncomfortable;)

12 Likes

I’d be more concerned about labour hun! Ouch :persevere:
The swab will feel like a picnic in the park after birth x
Plus it just takes a few seconds, the baby will be worth it.
All the best

1 Like

Do a home birth. No testing required. Friends of mine decided to go this way. They felt much safer at home than exposing the new baby to whatever might be at the hospital.

For safety probably when virus is gone probably 4 years the way it’s going or have a home birth

Oh boy. If you are stressed about having this test done you might want to reconsider pregnancy. You will be poked and prodded endlessly

6 Likes

Don’t get pregnant if you can’t even do a swab wtf even

5 Likes

Not for a long time. It’s not nearly as bad as you fear though.

They test before you go to havr your baby? I’m 28 weeks and live in ky. My doctor hasn’t mentioned it

My hospital did the test when I was admitted. It took 2 seconds and just tickled like before you sneeze. It really wasn’t that bad.

You can refuse the test and should. It is NOT required and they can’t make you. Tell them you don’t want it done that’s what I did

2 Likes

I’m just saying I’ve been induced and all natural and had zero pain meds/epidurals with either and I still hate those damn nose swabs. Hahaha baby makes it worth it though. :joy:

So then do the one where you spit in the tube. :woman_facepalming:

You can also opt for an all natural birth center instead of a hospital. That’s what I am doing this pregnancy! They’ve been way more relaxed than hospitals (masks still in use, temp tests at the door, and lots of sanitizing) and I have truly enjoyed this way more

Haha I’ve given birth without an epidural and STILL have anxiety about nose swab testing. It is terrifying. I’m freaked out about the same thing lol, it’s just kinda funny because of how bad giving birth is and I’m scared of a quick test… i always HATED being tested for the flu.

1 Like

It will be easy compared labor so dont worry.

Some(most) of these responses are rude…

7 Likes

I am currently 7 weeks pregnant and I’m scared of the Covid swab :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

i don’t think it’s mandatory everywhere… i don’t have to get tested. but it’s going to be faster and way less painful than labor!!! lmao you got this girl.

At my hospital every mom is tested. You don’t want to be tested don’t come here!

1 Like

Technically speaking, they can’t ever force you to test for anything without your consent. That being said, if you decide to get pregnant, I would recommend getting the test shortly before delivering if it is still an issue. So far, there’s no evidence to suggest prenatal transmission, but transmission after birth is absolutely possible. If you’re really dead set against it, you can always just take precautions regardless.

1 Like

Why would you not want to be tested for something that can be fatal for not only you and your baby but also for any babies around yours in the nursery?

1 Like

It’s nothing compared to labour!

1 Like

I had the test done last week and it honestly isn’t that bad you just go to the top of the inside of your nose to the point your eyes do some twitching and swirl the cotton swab in each nostril for 10 seconds. It’s changed since the beginning when you had to have the swab put all the way back.

2 Likes

We chose to go to a birth center for this reason.

It varies by state / city / hospital and things can change rapidly. Where I am they are testing if you have a 3 day advance notice such as c section or induction scheduled or if you have symptoms other than that it’s just your temp being taken when entering hospital but across town a different hospital offers rapid testing so all going in to labor and delivery are tested

My doc told me I’ll do the spit test two days before they decide an induction date, if I were to go into labor on my own the hospital does the nose swab

I had my baby 16 days ago and i wasnt tested :woman_shrugging:t3:

No one knows when this covid bullshit is going to “end”. No one. Seriously though, a nose swab is the LEAST of your worries when it comes to child birth. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

The test is of absolute no concern when it comes to health in pregnancy. Ive been tested twice first time tickled second time was a fat swab so pressure was felt and made my eyes water took no longer than ten seconds to get it done. Dont worry about the test let me reassure you its the least of your concerns, but ill say this even though it sounds mean if you cant handle a simple test how will you handle birth which is completely invasive?

1 Like

It’s honestly not bad and takes like 10 second

My 3 year old was tested today. She didnt even cry. Said it burned but she didn’t cry or pull away or anything. It will be ok.

Probably like 500 other things you should be more concerned about when conceiving, growing, birthing and raising a tiny human. But you go bold and all out with that swab avoidance!

Sometimes the questions on this page crack me up a bit and I wonder if they are real??

4 Likes

For the sake of a few seconds youll be fine. Ive been through labour and Covid and id rather not do any of them again but the end result (the baby in case it wasnt clear) is deffo worth it😂

Really? But you’re going to have a baby. You’ve got the testing down.

Has she given birth ever? All the anxiety will be gone once that baby needs to come out and your vagina is everywhere.

I hope they don’t stop until there’s a vaccine

Considering the hospital I work at is beginning to test EVERY new admit as of a couple hours ago I am going to assume that it will not be for a very long time. At least until there is a vaccine readily available.

Anxiety here As well I’m so worried about having the test it makes me feel terrible! Some people don’t understand anxiety. Just remember you got this and you can do it!

4 Likes

You can think about your swab when they are elbow deep in your business and sewing back together your cat like a thanksgiving turkey. Get out of here with this!!:rofl: I’ve had 5. You can stick a swab up my nose 7 days a week and it will never come close to those “special moments!”:wink:

8 Likes

I can honestly say the testing is the worst thing I’ve ever had done. I hate the flu swab and when I got Covid tested they made me highly panicked about anything going near my face now. I’d rather give birth anyday than get that done again. I have 2 babies so I know what labor is Like. Wish you the best with your pregnancy but the testing I don’t think will ever be over. The anxiety that comes with the testing is highly unbearable. I had to be by myself to get it done and I had pain in my face for 2 days. I really wish you the best🙏🏼

If you ain’t ready to stick a swab into your nose you’re NOT ready for a baby

15 Likes

I dont have to get tested for covid and im less than 2 months away. All they will be doing is checking Temps no mask is required unless we leave the room

I felt this same way when I was pregnant n I don’t know why people are acting like you shouldn’t or aren’t allowed to be concerned about something so “little”. But I worked myself up pretty good before I had to get my test done and it was not nearly as bad as I had made myself think it would be, so I was pleasantly surprised in a way lol. Super unpleasant like a really uncomfortable sneeze stuck in your nose for a few seconds and then it’s over and it’s fine!! Don’t let it stop you from making a family!

Why would anyone purposely conceive a baby during a world wide pandemic?..while america is on the verge of going to war with itself…Russia is on a mission to take over the world, there are refugees in cages and many more still suffering in their countries and it feels like the entire world is going to implode on itself and the a nasal swab is what gives you anxiety? Smh lol it’s probably more uncomfortable when they stick that thing in your vagina and swab your cevic for a pap smear and STDs screen then the covid test just saying.

It’s not bad! Ask for the rapid test… it’s quick. I just had my baby 13 Days ago and I wasn’t happy about the covid test neither I was acting a fool but I promise the rapid one was very easy.

I was tested last Thursday prior to my c-section. Just to be on the “safe side, that if I or my baby came out positive, my child would not be able to be in the NICU with other babies.”
Worse experience ever. The RN caused me to bleed from my nose that I coughed cup blood. Blurred vision, ear drums hurted. I felt like I was kicked in the face. I mean, I smacked her hand off my face out of impulse.
I was told I was her first bleeder and then she mention that I was probably irritated because of the Sahara dust going on.

A covid test will be a walk in the park compared to giving birth. Everywhere is different but this will probably be an issue for the next few years at least.

4 Likes

Please take into consideration that getting tested before giving birth makes the doctors nurses feel safe and not only that you can have it not know do you really want your baby to get it. It deadly to newborns. I don’t think they will ever stop testing. My husband and I are trying for baby #2 and trust me I will let them test me because I don’t want anyone getting sick or die because I refuse a swab up my nose. That only hurts for a few minutes your vag is going to hurt a lot longer.

2 Likes

I’ve had the flu swab and the Covid swab. It sucks, but I would rather them keep doing that to everyone than risk my baby catching it. I understand your anxiety, but it’s going to be around for a long while

7 Likes

I just had my baby. If you’re a planned induction or c they just do a throat swab where I am. It was nothing more than what they do for strep.

I gave birth 5/26 I was tested… because you wouldn’t want your newborn to catch it … had another test for surgery… its not that awful… it does hurt yes. And also I never had to wear a mask while there

1 Like

I guess it all depends where you live. I gave birth may 20th and I had no test done and didnt have to wear a mask. Maybe it’s due to where I live there are few to no cases.

1 Like

I had my baby April 21st during the shut down and I was never tested for it at the hospital I delivered at. We had to wear masks the whole time until I was in my room

It honestly wasn’t as bad as I expected and my anxiety was thru the roof! It felt weird but was similar to the flu swab except about 10-15 seconds longer.

Just wait for the anxiety of childbirth and sleep deprivation. A swab up your nose is nothing.

6 Likes

Probably not for awhile. If I was pregnant I would honestly do a home birth if possible.

You can refuse to be tested… I had a c-section 2 weeks ago and I refused to do the test. I wasn’t treated any differently

I know I don’t want to be tested either. They should be able to take a blood test or swab your mouth.

2 Likes

I have my c section next Tuesday and I have my throat swab for the testing this Sunday. I do have to wear a mask during my surgery and for the entries time being at the hospital.

I’ve had the swab it is awful but labor is 50 times worse :woman_shrugging:

That’s the least of your worries if you’re going to be pushing out a baby… js

3 Likes

If you are being induced it’s usually two days before you go in to have your baby

When you are in labor you won’t care what they do to you! I had someone tell me they got tested and they didn’t swab as high as originally.

2 Likes

I work in a hospital in southern AZ and we test every mother prior to birth, but that’s in the middle of this pandemic and we’re not doing so well here in AZ. By the time you will be giving birth, this will most likely have finally calmed down.

1 Like

You can also research home birth than you wont have to get tested. Seems like a lot of moms are doing that or at a birthing center rather than hospital

Probably not until there is a vaccine or covid is not a major issue. Can’t actually say because as of right now they are still doing it, and its a precaution so they can do what’s necessary to keep baby, you, themselves (nurses and drs) and other patients safe. I just had my daughter 6/28 and had to be swabbed. It sucks but it literally lasts a min and the nose irritation goes away within a few mins. Made me want to sneeze and my eyes watered a bit but by the time I was pushing out a baby all I cared about was eating… I was so friggen hungry after 24hrs of no sleep/no food.

Never. My sister is getting induced this week and they already made her take a covid test.

I recently gave birth, and my hospital didn’t test me. And my husband was allowed to be there with me.

Literally felt like i had to sneeze horribly. Only tested once and it was at the hospital in triage before being moved to labor and delivery

I understand that everyone has their things but compared to everything else you’re going to go through during the rest of your life once you conceive a swab is nothing. I was anti needles until I got pregnant. I got poked and prodded so much and then needed the epidural to relax enough to progress. Then there’s the fear and anxiety of raising a kid. It’s all worth it. I would not wait to TTC because we don’t know when the end of COVID will be.

2 Likes

I gave birth on the 15th of June and was not tested and only had to wear a mask while walking in the hallways. Although I wish I was tested tbh just in case I didn’t/don’t have symptoms

1 Like

I don’t think anyone will really have the answer to that…my guess 6months - 1 year. But like others have said there are way worse things that going into pregnancy and giving birth than a quick swab haha

1 Like

Ok I am pro masks , but how in the world do you go through labor in a mask??? I mean I have severe asthma and it’s hard for me to breath in a mask, I still wear one but my oxygen actually does drop bc of how bad my asthma is. I also can’t get an epidural for medical reasons how in the would would I go through labor with no epidural and having a hard time breathing bc of a mask! Like I said I wear one in public but that means I use the electric scooter bc I can’t handle walking in one and I only do quick grocery trips and doc appts.

I had my baby 4.2.20 and wasnt tested Didnt even wear a mask (nurses did)

Maybe think of the hospital staff you’ll be potentially putting in danger for your refusal?! We have families too and would appreciate knowing if our patients are positive

Probably until we have an accurate vaccine, my guess a year or longer!

1 Like