Who should be the first to meet new baby: Grandparents or big brother?

My boyfriend and I just found out that I’m pregnant! I also have a three-year-old from another relationship, when the new baby is born, my son will be about a month shy of turning 4. Today I asked my boyfriend if my son could meet the baby first before anyone else. My boyfriend got kinda upset and said: “well, what if my parents are at the hospital waiting?” To which I let my hormones take over and said: “Why should the grandparents get to meet the baby before the big brother?” To which my boyfriend said “half brother” Which just pissed me off. My boyfriend loves my son, I know this, and I get that he’s just excited about his first child. But what do you think? Should big brother get to meet the baby first, or should the grandparents?

56 Likes

Siblings. Definitely.

2 Likes

In your own lilfam apparently come first neways

I say yes, because he’s going to be LIVING w/ the new baby, not the g’parents.

Brother first
No one saw my boy until he met his big brother

1 Like

Siblings. Always. If it’s possible.

1 Like

Siblings. Always. Shouldn’t even be a question in my mind.

1 Like

I personally don’t think it really matters who meets him first. It likely doesn’t matter to your son if he’s first either. Now that half brother remark was uncalled for and ridiculous.

13 Likes

I personally don’t think it matters.

1 Like

Siblings first! Grandparents and any body else can keep on waiting. that is such a special moment for the siblings!!

I would lose my shit at that comment!

Definitely the brother! Dont let your in laws or boyfriend guilt you. Do what you want mama!

Siblings first, then grandparents. Or at the same time. My parents brought my daughter to the hospital when my second was born so they met at the same time. Sister had more time holding her than my parents did though (shes 13). I made the rule that no one was to be waiting at the hospital while I was in labor, that’s just added stress and runs the risk of people barging in before you’re even ready. They can wait for the announcement that the baby has arrived and then be on their way to visit.

My mother in law was in the room when my daughter was born, my 4 yr old was in the waiting room with papa. As soon as she was born my son and father in law came in to meet her. My son wanted no part in it at all, he was more worried about playing and eating his skittles.

Brother! Or why don’t the grandparents bring brother in! Win win! And that half brother shit def needs to stop!

Why does it matter who meets the baby first? I’m not sure I understand, and it all seems extremely childish to me.

13 Likes

Siblings or maybe let everyone go in at once?

I say your son. But don’t let it ruin the moment. What if the grandparents bring your son? So everyone can be there? Or say come at the same time but let us have our moment as a family then you can come

Without a doubt big brother

I mean my whole family met my second son before my oldest did, but we had my dad watching our first so he met his brother when we took him home, we FaceTimed him after he was born but he didn’t physically meet him until 2 days when we came home with him.

1 Like

When I had my youngest my mom met him before his brother because she was in the room. A little later she went home and my dad and my son came to the hospital with her

Big brother. My parents (hopefully) will be here when I’m in labor with our second to keep our son, so they will bring him to us and he will be introduced first and then his grandparents.

My son and parents came in at the same time. Worked out wonderful

Most hospitals will ask you who you want to come in first and meet the baby, but I agree I think the big brother should be able to meet the new baby first.

Why can’t his parents watch your son and they get to meet the new baby at the same time?

7 Likes

Siblings. All others wait until the siblings and husband have had a chance and mom feels up to more visitors. Honestly grandparents sometimes make things harder or more stressful.

I personally don’t think it matters. Why can’t they all just meet him at the same time? I’d be more pissed about the half-sibling comment. As a stepmom and as well as my fiance as a dad to my older daughter I would be so offended and hurt there are no half or step in our family

8 Likes

Why not compermise and have the grandparents bring in the brother and they all meet the baby at the same time? That seems like the best option.

1 Like

Brother or how about the three of them together? Somebody will need to bring big bro in anyway.

It wont matter really. Your son is way too small to remember who saw the baby first. My petty ass would have responded “Well I guess they will be waiting a little longer then!” Because you know, hormones😂

Immediate family first, then grandparents. My mother got to meet my daughter before my husband or I did, and it infuriated me.

1 Like

It wont matter in 5 years. I promise.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

Why can’t the grandparents bring the sibling???

1 Like

Well the half brother remark would have sent me over the edge. That was completely uncalled for. I think the brother should. It would be good for family bonding. Also why do his parents get to meet the baby first?

2 Likes

Siblings.!
I had a son 4days shy of being 3 &from another relationship! If my boyfriend would’ve said “half” he wouldn’t have even been in the room :woman_shrugging:t4:

4 Likes

Yes 2 brother meeting baby 1st.

my eldest girl met her sister first :heart:

Y’all are both being dumb. Don’t think about it. It’s not a big deal unless you make it one. Have the grandparents go pick up the son and walk in together.

9 Likes

Who cares, why can’t they all meet him at the same time

2 Likes

Have grandparents bring big brother to meet the baby.

5 Likes

Why don’t you have the big brother become part of the introduction to the grandparents so he doesn’t feel left out? Get the grandparents in on it…I’m sure they will buy into the idea and see how special it is to all of you.

Brother. Unfortunately everyone was at the hospital when my daughter was born so I had to wait 2 days for her brother’s to meet her. But we said NO pictures on fb till they met her.

Brother. It’s gonna be a very special moment even if he’s uninterested. Take your time and take photos. Make sure you take time for just you and big brother before you go into labor if you can, it’s also a special moment where it’s the last time it’ll be just the two of you. Good luck mama.

I would say siblings first, but like in my case our labor and delivery and maternity ward doesn’t allow children under a certain age because of Illnesses they could bring in. Not saying that adults don’t also carry around tons of germs as well. Our 4yo had to wait until we came home with the baby before they met.

I don’t think it matters who meets first but that half brother comment should have set off some red flags in my opinion.

11 Likes

Our son met sister before anyone else. Actually I didn’t let anyone come to the hospital. I wanted us 3 to be able to bond with her.

2 Likes

big brother definitely

I’m sorry but immediate family first is siblings and then your parents and his tough shit if he doesn’t like it is what I would be telling him and saying half brother would have pissed me off that much he would probably have gotten an arm ripped off and used to beat him with lol , how inconsiderate is he

I don’t think it matters. It won’t be a defining moment in either child’s life, but it can be a huge negative impact on relationships if made into a huge ordeal.

4 Likes

I dont think it really matters. If the grandparents are already there and the brother wont be for 2 hours. I can understand not making them wait around. …but you better nip that half brother bull before it gets ridiculous.

9 Likes

Don’t stress out over this tiny thing lol. Honestly you’re going to come across more serious issues… also you’ll both be single if youre arguing about this already

1 Like

How about the 3 of them together. Grandparents watch your oldest and bring him to the hospital to meet the baby at the same time.

3 Likes

Big brother!! I didnt even announce my birth to family or sex of baby (i had a suprise) untill my son had met his baby sister!! X x

My mom and sister came to the hospital in the middle of the night to visit me and my 2nd son. Big brother came later on during the day.

My parents came up with my oldest (4 at the time) to meet his brother

Brother first and I call bullshit on the half thing. They both come out of your body they are brothers Take a breath. Would his parents be willing to bring your son in with them would bfs mom have a big heart to share that time with your son?

I suggest sitting and talking about that half brother thing. Comments like that hurt you but a lifetime of them will effect your son. Communication is key. In our house we are family, no step, half, in law stuff. Do what works for your family but make sure ypu both are on the same page before the new baby comes. Its hard enough for a 4year old to vbecome a big brother let alone be told hes only half :confused: also brother should meet first… grandparents are special but siblings are even more important. Its only a few moments if he and his parents are that upset by it… start gently setting boundaries now before LO arrives.

3 Likes

Why is this an either or question? Have the grandparents bring your son🤷‍♀️

4 Likes

Have all the grandparents come into the room at the same time as your other child and just let him hold baby with you first.

Y’all making a big deal out of nothing. Grandparents bring the brother so that problem is solved. Half brother?? Umm that would piss me off too let me tell you my husband adopted my daughter there is no half it’s just love and family so that might be something I would have a conversation with him about you dont single out a child.

4 Likes

Why not let them meet the baby at the same time? Maybe see if the grandparents can take him while your laboring and then they can all visit?

1 Like

Why not compromise and have his parents bring your son in? They can all meet the baby together.

If that cant work big brother definitely.

4 Likes

Each person involved in the family can meet gamily together.

I mean… If they’re there waiting they should go first. Or have them watch the brother and they come at the same time.

Girl… He said “half”, thats love/accepting of your son?
You NEED to stand your ground son comes in first!

11 Likes

It really does not matter…

2 Likes

Your son then grandparents

1 Like

I think they all should meet the baby at the same time but before this becomes an argument, check hospital rules. In some places kids under a certain age can’t be in l&d.

Siblings first.
Also would never let people come to the hospital, I would let them now when there are welcome to visit

1 Like

His parents met the baby before the siblings because they were there when it all went down. I didn’t think much of any of it.

Chances are this isn’t going to work out if hes fighting with you about this and saying your son is only the half brother. Put your foot down

4 Likes

Big brother!! And you need to go ahead and get that half shit out the way!!! Both are your children they are brothers.

With us the grandparents did meet baby first but we made sure that big brother had his own one on one time without anyone but us. It seemed to work well, our son was very excited so he didn’t really care as long as he was able to see his brother lol

1 Like

Big brother should meet first and that’s if you even feel up to visitors !! Rest can wait until you home . Also not half brother anything get that nipped in the bud now before baby comes. As it will be a big adjustment for the big bro!!

1 Like

Can the grandparents not bring the brother.?

2 Likes

Definitely the big brother first, otherwise have the grandparents bring your son

My dad brought my son in. But I had her late at night so my step son came the next day and whoever got there saw our daughter before then.

Big brother or same time

1 Like

Don’t overthink it. Just live your life and let what happens happen.

I mean, I dont think it matters so much. I never gave it any thought, when my second child was born my first was among the first to meet baby, my mum was taking care of him whilst I had the baby and they both came in together. Same when I had my third, my sons were with my mum and aunt and they all came in together. I wouldn’t make an argument over that however I would be appalled at the half brother comment x

1 Like

First off id of slapped him when he said half brother… You could always have the grandparents bring your son up and they could meet baby together if that’s not possible then i say your son.

4 Likes

Brother first, of course. And make sure dad is holding the baby or he’s in the bassinet when big bubba comes in so he can go straight to mama. This is the first time he will ever have to share you, so special❤️

1 Like

Wtf? Lmao why would you make people wait til someone else has met the baby first? It’s not a roller coaster, no one needs a fast pass. Everyone can meet them when they’re there?? :thinking:

2 Likes

My partner and sister were my birthing partners so obviously they met my daughter first HOWEVER nobody else was allowed to see her before my 3 year old son. I think its only fair they meet their new sibling first, plus it instantly builds that bond then too. Maybe compromise and ask his parents to bring your son if it’s they’re first grandchild? And they can all meet baby together, just send your son in first :joy: xxx

1 Like

No one saw my youngest son before his big brother did, the way I saw it the new baby was going to impact his life and change it the most. I thought it was important for him to have that moment of seeing him first. No one said anything from either side of the family about it, because what can they actually say? Those babies are yours and they have to respect any wishes you have.

1 Like

Sibling first. My daughters have the same dad and we still made everyone wait until my mom brought my oldest daughter up to the hospital to meet her new sister. It was myself, my boyfriend, my two year old and our new baby and it was really special sharing that moment together.

1 Like

Why can’t they all meet at the same time? Someone’s going to have to bring the brother anyways. I think y’all are making a way bigger deal out of it than it is. If nothing else you can ask his parents how they feel about letting the brother meet the baby first but if the parents are in the waiting room and the brother isn’t, the parents shouldn’t have to wait until the brother gets there to meet the baby. And also, explain to your boyfriend that while the kids might only be “half siblings” the baby will only be a quarter of the grandparents so technically the brother outranks the grandparents.

3 Likes

I would be more upset at the half brother remark ! Regardless that’s his brother

2 Likes

Will the baby change color or shape if grandparents meet before your son???:thinking:. Is this a thing or am missing something?

1 Like

Im still stuck on the half brother part?! Why is alerts going off in my head?

4 Likes

I say big brother or have a set of grandparents bring big brother

We took my niece to the hospital once she was ready for visitor cld they perhaps do that then all are happy

My son didn’t meet his sister until the day after she was born. My sister in law and mother in law brought him up to the hospital. My family didn’t meet her until she was a month old. My youngest daughter my mother in law was in the room when she made her appearance. My older two kids and the rest of my husbands family met her when she came home three days later. My family a few weeks later. It’s cold and flu season. Little kids shouldn’t be at the hospital during that time nor holding or touching a newborn. It don’t matter who meets that baby first. All it’s going to do is sleep :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Its whatever is important to you. And I’d be hurt and really turned off from our relationship if my husband said ‘half brother’ about OUR sons. He chose your relationship, he chose your son, that’s his son now.

1 Like

The designation “half” shouldn’t be in his vocabulary. I had 3 step siblings and 2 half siblings. We were all sisters and brothers, to each other and to our parents.

2 Likes

Grandparents could bring big brother, and they all love on the baby at once. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh no! Sounds like trouble!

Let the Grandparents bring in the big brother. They can all meet the baby at the same time. That’s what we always did

3 Likes

I don’t get why the half brother got you so pissed it’s fact

Big brother first or have grandparents bring big brother with them and they can all meet at same time. And the half brother remark would have pissed me off.

1 Like