Who should have to replace the IPAD screen?

I’d take the loss, and pay to replace it myself. You shouldn’t have let him bring it outside, and now he potentially lost friends over a material item that doesn’t matter in the big scheme of things. Take the loss.

4 Likes

Take them to court the kid should know better

3 Likes

You’d be waiting on me for the rest of your life to pay for it. Thats your son’s responsibility which makes you also responsible. I’d be different if the neighbors kid threw it or purposely broke it. If it had been inside or correctly protected it would have never broke it. Take your loss and keep it pushin.

1 Like

It is your fault unfortunately don’t want an iPad broken don’t let it be brought outside

1 Like

You pay because expensive crap should be safeguarded when other kids are around.

3 Likes

Why on earth do you think it’s the other parent’s responsibility to replace YOUR child’s iPad?? YOU allowed the iPad to be brought outside… Kids will be kids. Accidents happen. Quit acting like a child, put on your big girl panties and get the screen fixed. It’s really not that complicated. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Suck it up and pay for it to be replaced. Lay down new ground rules of where the iPad can and cannot go. Maybe a few weeks without playing with the iPad will teach your son an expensive lesson as he does chores to help “repay” you for the cost.

1 Like

See if they will go half. If not, no harm done.

If it was intentional, you’re not wrong. If it was an accident, then, you are. No electronics outside or invest in a good kid proof case.

1 Like

YOU! If your child brings it out it’s their responsibility to make sure it’s kept safe. Maybe now they won’t take it out so an expensive lesson learnt.

Maybe split the cost. How old is your son? My kids are 8&10 and they know their devices do not go outside unless they are in their case and going into the car

Fix it yourself and chalk it up as a learing experience. Kids probably shouldn’t be playing with an IPad outside.

1 Like

It was an accident. It’s not like his friend smashed it on purpose. Lesson learned.

1 Like

I mean, your kid should not have taken it outside.
Accidents do happen.
I doubt she’s paying for it if she ghosted you.
Cut your losses. & either buy hun a new iPad or he can go without one for awhile since his is broke.

2 Likes

If she said she would pay for it then she needs to keep her word. If she hadn’t said that then it would be on you and you can’t expect someone to pay for something they didn’t offer to pay for.

1 Like

Have you got home insurance ? If you have then you can claim as it happened on your property x

Yeah I agree with about everyone here. The device should never had been taken outside. Hopefully your son has learned a lesson. It’s not worth the loss of friendship to press the subject. If my child has broken it I would offer to help pay for it. But I would not expect someone to pay for my kid’s device if this happened. My kids know the rules. Inside toys stay inside, outside toys stay outside.

1 Like

I mean it’s not cheap and it shouldn’t have been taking outside to play with. You both are at fault.

1 Like

The kid don’t have any money, and you let the kids take it outside… your problem. Just my opinion

Unfortunately the child was in your care and you should be responsible because he shouldn’t have been able to have it outside. If he broke it on purpose it might be different.

1 Like

Sounds like you both learned a lesson. I wouldn’t replace it make him do chores until he’s earned enough to fix it himself and he’ll think twice before letting people mess with his nice LUXURIES

2 Likes

Dad sounds like a jerk and is avoiding you. It was an accident. I agree she should offer and if she did I’d agree to it but it’s not worth the drama. Tablets don’t need to be outside and my house knows tablets aren’t out when friends are around.

My 4 and 7 year old know iPad don’t go outside especially when friends are over. For reasons exactly like this.

2 Likes

I would say 50/50. It was an accident but you obviously had no rules about when it could be played with and where. You would have been the adult decision maker at the time

1 Like

IT should it have left the house that 9ne is on your kid not the friend.

One of my son’s friends broke his phone once. My son told him how good his phone case was…his friend tested it. Lol I split the cost with the parents. It was my son’s fault for taking it outside and handing it over and the other kids for throwing it on the curb to see if it would break. Perhaps offer to share responsibility?

Sorry but you shouldn’t have let him take it outside…

2 Likes

I would say half-and-half, half because your son brought it out half because the other kid broke it

2 Likes

I’m sorry that happened to your son but this is not their responsibility. This is yours. When your child gave that child permission to use tablet and you didn’t have a contract signed saying responsibility is on so and so it became your sons responsibility which in turn is your responsibility. I just wouldn’t let it go outside anymore. I think my husband would be mad to if someone was trying to charge us for something like that. But only because I didn’t pay up and someone had to message me to do so he’d definitely tell the kids to stay home heck I think I’d tell my kids to stay home too. Maybe they need to stay home. It’s really the kids suffering here cause summer is just beginning and kids don’t really know the value of a buck sometimes. Accidents happen and they are kids. I’d talk to the parents and forgive them and then I’d fix things for the kids sake. I heard a wise man once say the best sermon is lived not just preached so Me as a parent would pay up if my kid breaks something you would not even have to ask. It’s truly the right thing to do. Some folks just don’t understand. If you go out here and damage someone’s property you should pay up.

Just get the screen fixed. It’s like $100 or so.

You pay bc if it was that valuable to you and your kid it shouldn’t be outside with said kid and friends.

1 Like

I personally feel like it’s yours and your sons responsibility to keep it safe, it’s not the child’s fault the iPad was brought outside and accidentally dropped. If it was a concern, the iPad should not be brought outside to play with other kids, or it should be in a protective case

Im with the dad sorry, the mum shouldnt really ghost you probz dorsnt want to tell you she an’t paying

I say split it but curious the age of the kids and a bit more about exactly how it happened. The mom already said she would pay so clearly she feels some responsibility.

2 Likes

Your child took their iPad outside. It got broke. Your child’s responsibility. And your’s if you allow expensive devices to be taken outside.

5 Likes

How old is the kid? I’m wondering why it didn’t have insurance on it. Kind of feeling like you let them play with it. It’s sort of on you.

1 Like

Why did she offer to pay tho? You must have said something making her feel like she should? It’s your child iPad. You allowed it outside. Regardless of who broke it or why you are the adult that let an expensive toy leave your home. This is your responsibility to fix. Not the other parents. It’s not their iPad :woman_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

50/50 wud be nice but yr son took it out, it’s his responsibility to care fr it outside the house. Try askn fr half if not, lesson learned Ipad not allowed outside .

4 Likes

No offense you don’t let kids take things like that outside. I understand your mad but this is on you

7 Likes

Its your watch it’s your fault you are the parent.

6 Likes

My kids are responsible for their iPads. We tell them not to take them outside so if they get taken outside and someone else is playing with it, it’s still my kids fault for taking it out in the first place

4 Likes

Ask them to split the cost!

Why was the iPad allowed outdoors anyways?? Lol :joy: mama is responsible

7 Likes

I would say that they should pay for half, not the whole thing. Your son brought it outside and let them use it; they dropped it by accident. To me, both parties are at fault, but no, the other kids shouldn’t have to pay for the full amount.

Tell your son no one but him uses it in the future or he will go without. I’d take it as a loss since it doesn’t seem to be intentional.

2 Likes

Definitely you’re child’s responsibility therefore it isn’t upto that family to pay for it im sorry to say you’re son shouldn’t of given it over to the said child

1 Like

You let them take it outside and you also didn’t have the sense to put a screen protector on it. All on you

2 Likes

I wouldn’t have allowed my kid to take an expensive ipad outside anyway. They probably can’t afford it and should have just said that instead of ghosting you.

1 Like

It shouldn’t have been allowed outside and they are kids so shit happens. It was an accident which is also common with kids so if you want it fixed just fix it yourself and make the rule it doesn’t go outside anymore

That’s your fault insurance. Your kid needs to pay for it. Consequences and repercussions!

3 Likes

YOU are responsible for YOUR kids and their actions, no one else

4 Likes

You definitely should not have allowed your child to bring a valuable electronic outside without a screen protector and case.

3 Likes

You. Why would u give it to kids who then bring it outside?

1 Like

I feel like it is yours, and you chose to let it go outside. I personally would be happy if the family offered to pitch in but if they didn’t I would say it was my expensive lesson learned and make sure my child understood that it doesn’t go outside for friends ever!

6 Likes

You as the parent should have told your son that doesn’t go outside. And WHY doesn’t it have a screen protector on it? Honestly your son should have to earn the $ to fix it. Its his fault for taking it outside.

1 Like

Yeah I kinda agree why was the iPad allowed to go outside ? That’s an expensive item to be kept indoors .

4 Likes

Lesson learned! Have your son do chores to pay you back for it. It was HIS and HIS responsibility

3 Likes

Your child took it out its on you

2 Likes

They should pay at least half and you can always take them to court for the cost so maybe send a message asking if you can figure this out like adults or if they just want your lawyer to handle it

4 Likes

Not much ya can do! Lesson learned!

1 Like

Your child’s responsibility! I have had my kids break iPads, iPhones, Xboxes by doing this an i would never expect a parent to pay for it while it’s a nice that they offer I would never accept it even though it’s a struggle for our family to replace these things.

3 Likes

That sucks, but that’s on you. My youngest isn’t allowed to have his electronics outside bc he’s rough, so I definitely wouldn’t allow him to let his friend have it outside. It would be on my son if it happened. But, if it was my son that broke his friends, I would offer to pay for it. I wouldn’t expect someone to pay for it, but in my case the accountability would have landed on my kid in either scenario. The fact that Dad is mad and banning his kids from playing with yours says he knows the right thing to do is to pay for it, at least half. Really the cost is worth every penny learning who those parents really are.

1 Like

First thought is there is no reason the IPAD should be outside. My kids are not allowed to take theirs out and if friends are over if it is something that they want to show them then they can come inside to see it. I mean accidents happen. It would be no different if your son dropped it outside. I would not ask them to pay any of it as my kid should not have took it out period!

3 Likes

Either split it or take the loss

The decent thing to do would to at least split the cost. Yes, the other child broke it BUT your child (whether with permission or not) brought it outside and shared. I have told my son as well as many children I’ve taught over the years, if you share something you are taking responsibility and the risk of something out of your control happening. I know it’s unpopular but for this reason, I’ve never forced children to share certain things :woman_shrugging:t2: So unfortunately they really don’t have to pay. Though I think it’s a pretty :poop: of them. I mean, I’d personally just ask them, if the tables were turned, how would they feel? They still probably won’t pay, but maybe it will make them feel bad :confused:

2 Likes

No one’s fault. Things break. Make your kid work to pay it off and if the kid that broke it on accident wants to work to then so be it but lesson learned I think.

1 Like

I really hate to say it momma is responsible as those belong inside while parents can supervise depending on the age of their kid…

1 Like

One more thing, I’m on the dads side id be upset if my kids friends mom asked for us to fix something that happened at their house, under their watch. It was your responsibility to make sure it wasn’t broken.

4 Likes

1)shouldnt be outside 2) the iPad is expensive where is the protective case or adult supervision? 3) mom said she would pay so.maybe see if they can afford to pay half 4) maybe the parents are embarrassed as the mom said she was paying and didnt realize how expensive apple is 5) dad is just saying what parents say

So basically everyone has learned a lesson right? Our tabs/ipads etc stay in the house and our friends aren’t always friends an lastly some parents dont care the kids what actions the kids are up too! Chalk it up as a lesson learned and now your son is out.of an ipad and should try and help save up.for repair

1 Like

Technology stays safe in doors not out with kids playing

1 Like

Your kid shouldn’t have taken it outside. You should replace the screen.

4 Likes

An iPad for a kid should have a screen protector on it and a hard case that can’t be easily broken. The mom shouldn’t have agreed to pay for it but I think it’s your son’s fault for letting someone else use it

1 Like

YOU!!! It’s your responsibility to teach your kids that they should not let others kids to play with his IPad , also the iPad should have a screen protector.
I PADS are not for play outside .

4 Likes

Insurance. Accidents happen.

2 Likes

Your child gave him the iPad he took it outside it’s ur child’s fault u should pay for it

1 Like

Your kid is responsible.

You split the cost.

Even my husband did it with his 4 wheeler. He let his friend ride it, friend wrecked it, they split the $1000 cost to repair it 🤷

The other kids parents should pay, & your son shouldn’t take it outside anymore.

It was an accident - under your supervision. The other family should NOT have to pay for that :woman_facepalming:t4:

1 Like

I wouldn’t have let my child take an I pad outside. It would be one thing if this other child just took it but if your child gave it to someone else your child would be responsible. If the other parent would want to contribute something toward getting it fixed that’s one thing but they shouldn’t be held responsible

2 Likes

You, it shouldn’t have gone outside.

1 Like

Honestly my kids don’t get to take stuff like that outside cause if it gets broken it’s on us :eyes:

The kids shouldn’t have taken it outside without a case on it. It’s just as much your kids fault in my opinion, they were both irresponsible and now apparently losing a friend over it.

I think that’s a you problem. I wouldn’t pay shit

I’d go speak to them and ask them to split it 50/50 since your son did allow him to use it outside. They shouldn’t ghost you they should have an adult conversation about it.

The friends parent need to do the honorable thing and pay for it!

1 Like

It should have stayed in the house

3 Likes

Live and learn don’t let the kids take electronic and or glass outside to play

4 Likes

Make sure you get tempered glass for the next one. Good luck getting them to buy a new one.

2 Likes

Screen protectors & kid proof cases are made for this reason. But even with those, you should be teaching your child that expensive gadgets don’t go outside as they risk being broken!
Your responsibility not theirs.

I drop my phone all the time & ipads are 4 x heavier so how do you not expect a kid to accidentally drop it?? :woman_facepalming:t2:

2 Likes

It’s yours. It’s your responsibility. That would be my take if it happened to my son. Not to be an echo but yeah this is why they don’t go outside and they’re not for other kids to use.
FYI we have several protective cases that go with tempered glass that were cheap on Amazon and have saved us a ton.

3 Likes

Or you do what I did when my kids were wrestling with a friend and stepped on a school chrome book…I’m not paying for it not one cent , it’s been split three ways and they will all help cover the cost and they better figure out how to replace it…make them appreciate items like this

Most places honestly it is almost just as much as buying a new iPad. If it is a new iPad 60 days or less you are able to buy apple care and get it fixed through apple. If not almost everywhere is the same price. Another option is a screen, tools, and youtube.

You allowed your son to have it outside. Kids drop stuff. You assumed the risk by allowing it so it’s your responsibility.

6 Likes

I feel it’s more important for children to have friendships over iPads. It was your child who allowed their friend to play with it. So maybe you should tell the other parents not to worry about the cost of repair and see if their open to the idea of their child and your child paying for the repair by doing chores at your house and theirs. Then have a conversation with your child about not allowing others to use his iPad or only using it inside.

4 Likes

Why did you let your kid take it outside? Sounds like you should have been more responsible as the parent and been supervising.

4 Likes

Your fault actually. It sounds like you knew they took it outside. Plus, that was a disaster waiting to happen. Sorry but :poop: happens.
Sucks friendships were lost over it.

1 Like

It’s the other kids parents responsibility to get it fix; their child broke it so they have to get it fix not you

Your house. Honestly it’s on you. He was at your house in your care.

2 Likes

I agree with the dad. It shouldn’t be outside. That’s on you.

1 Like