Who should have to replace the IPAD screen?

Needing some advice. My kids had some friends over that live in the neighborhood and they were all outside playing. My son came in and grabbed his IPAD and let his friend play with it outside…the friend ended up dropping it and shattering the entire screen, he can no longer use it. The kids mom said she would pay for it but when I sent her how much it was going to cost, she has ghosted me. According to my son, her kids are no longer allowed to play with ours because the kids dad is mad that I even let my son have it outside and he is basically blaming me. How do I go about this?

130 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Who should have to replace the IPAD screen? - Mamas Uncut

Your house, your ipad, your bill. You were the adult in charge. Not the neighbors that weren’t there. I would never ask a child’s parent to fix something that was broken at my home.

I’d apologize to the neighbors as well.

45 Likes

I would send her a message and ask her if she would be willing to split it and that you have learned your lesson that your kids electronics don’t go outside

7 Likes

I’m sorry it happened. You will need to fix it. Your house and allowed kids to play with it

11 Likes

well it is technically your fault for allowing electronics to go outside. my house we don’t allow that… fix it yourself and apologize to the neighbor

13 Likes

I don’t think it’s the parents fault that that happened. Who knows what there financial situation might be. In my case both my girls got the screens broken from their phones by other kids and it was no one’s fault but theirs for even taking them outside.

1 Like

The neighbor broke it, you let it outside… perhaps approaching to split the cost… invest in a case… electronics and outside don’t mix

2 Likes

I wouldn’t let my child bring it outside.

8 Likes

Unfortunately it was your son that took it outside and gave permission for someone else to use it… Its on you im afraid xx

8 Likes

My children are responsible for their own ish. If someone breaks their stuff because they let them play with it, it’s on me.

7 Likes

Under a certain age… I’d say it’s on you and your son.

I don’t let the kids have electronics when we have company for that reason. If the parents would have been there and let their kid break it that would be one thing but you were supervising.
You should have insurance if not just get a cheap one at Walmart.

2 Likes

Your responsibility. It never should of been allowed to go outside

3 Likes

I would say it is your responsibility. Your child took the tablet outside.

2 Likes

You let them take it outside. Your kid, your electronics, your responsibility to fix it :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Your child was irresponsible to take it outside in my opinion.

3 Likes

Your child brought it outside withor without your permission that’s on you.
Your home.

1 Like

Pay for it. It’s your responsibility. He shouldn’t have taken it outside.

2 Likes

You were silly enough to let them play with an IPAD outside. It is your fault.

4 Likes

Shes right. Shouldnt have let it outside with neighborhood kids. Not their problem.

4 Likes

You should replace it. You shouldnt of allowed him to have it outside or letting others play with it. His ipad is your responsibility.

2 Likes

If I allow my son to take his device outside, I should take the punishment if something happens. You should be the parent, not your child or his friends, and also not the mom who wasn’t even there.

Definitely your responsibility!!

Personally, I don’t think it’s on the other parent. Your son took his tablet outside and it got broken. He should of maybe asked first considering iPads aren’t exactly cheap. There should of been a no iPad rule outside :woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging:

It’d be the same way if it even happened in the house :woman_shrugging: my daughter knows there’s a chance things will get broken when inviting friends to play, if it’s special or expensive it’s put in a safe place, and I as the parent make sure all tablets are put away :woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

Don’t you have insurance?

Electronics shouldn’t have been allowed outside, esp over-priced electronic devices.

1 Like

After YOU pay for the fix invest in the Apple insurance. All screen repairs are free and they come to your home. Worth it if you have kids and electronics.

1 Like

Chalk it up as a loss.

My kid would be going without because they know what happens if it gets broken through their negligence.

1 Like

Pay for it, your kid took it outside. It is your responsibility.

1 Like

That’s all on you. You allowed him to go outside knowing that other kids will probably play with it. I would also ghost you if you started with that nonsense.

2 Likes

Your responsibility… he shouldn’t have been allowed to take it outside

1 Like

If you allow an electronic outside and others to use it that’s on you. Next time get the proper case and screen cover.

Ain’t no one’s responsibility but yours

That’s on you! You allowed it!

1 Like

I mean yes it would be nice if maybe they’d be willing to split it 50/50. But in the long run , I think that when it all comes down to it it was allowed outside on your end and sometimes those things happen.

3 Likes

You both should split the cost.

2 Likes

your son should replace the iPad. Sorry not sorry, if you don’t want your stuff destroyed don’t take it out and let your friends play with it - supervision of what your kid is doing is the role of the parent

3 Likes

Apologize to the neighbor and just pay for it. It’s on you.

1 Like

If u tool it too court u and ur child are responsible not his parents

You allowed your son to take it outside…so you pay to replace it

If my child broke your childs ipad, regardless where this happened, I would insist on paying.

3 Likes

It is on yo as you let it go outside.

1 Like

Shouldn’t let the kids play with outside.

1 Like

If it was my kid, she wouldn’t get a replacement… should’ve kept it inside where it belonged.

6 Likes

When my dog broke someone tablet by stepping on it, I paid for the fix. But they returned the money as they felt wrong to take it.

It’s up to u to fix it. My grandkids know their electronic stuff is for in side only.

Pay for it yourself.

Life not fair.
Looks like your kid is out an ipad unless you fix it.

I dont let my kids share those kind of toys for this reason, i cant replace it if it gets broken. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Ugh that’s a tough one. She probably can’t afford it. It’s my rule no bringing the iPad anywhere without my permission because kids are kids they break stuff.Maybe see if she will go half on a new kindle fire. It does the same thing just not IOS. I had a screen replaced for under a 100 at a computer store. Personally I would not expect them to pay for it.

2 Likes

Your son gave permission and brought it outside. That’s gonna be on you in my opinion. I’d personally use this as a learning lesson for your son. Teach him to be more responsible and have him do chores around the house to learn the importance of taking better care of his things.

4 Likes

Your kid took it out, suck it up.

You let it go outside. I say it’s on you.

2 Likes

IMO::: If they wanted to play on it it should’ve been done in the house… I don’t let my kid take his electronics outside when playing cuz that’s why your outside, is to play, plus there’s more chance of it breaking… kids are kids and personally I feel like since you guys allowed him to use it, it’s not necessarily on him or his parents… accidents happen especially with kiddos

1 Like

Why would you let him take an iPad outside…it really is your fault for not using common sense…but if her kid broke it they should contribute…but use sense next time

1 Like

It would be nice for them to pay half. Honestly though it’s yours and your sons responsibility

If u take it to a phone place like abc cellular or them vape shops that fix phones they usually repair iPad screens for less than 100$

I don’t see this as either parents responsibility. This is on your kid. He brought it outside then let someone else use it. It got broken. His fault

4 Likes

You let him take it outside so it’s your responsibility. The other kids parents didn’t even know that there was an expensive electronic device out there with their kid.

1 Like

They’re kids. I’d be mad if someone let my child play with with expensive items knowing damn well children are prone to accidents… then making me pay for the accident that DID happen.:woman_shrugging:t2:

BUT I used to work at a cellphone fix-it store and repair screens. Apple products are insanely easy to replace if you just watch a YouTube video.

unfortunately you should

if my son took his out in the garden which he isn’t allowed he dropped his last year,

if he was to take it out and his friend dropped it it would still be on him of gave to someone

5 Likes

Your kid took it outside. I’d count it as a loss and tell my kids they no longer have one due to taking it outside. They should be more responsible with their things.

6 Likes

Sorry, but your responsibility. My kids are too young to have this problem, but when they are we will have strict rules about electronics. Mistakes happen, but what’s why rules are there to help prevent them :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Go half. On responsibility and payment.

1 Like

In our house your kid should not of taken it outside. It’s his fault that it got broke. There was plenty of stuff to outside without an electronic. That’s the rules here anyway

4 Likes

I mean I’m sure it was a accident and that’s what happens when kids play with things especially outside. I would suck up the cost and pay for it since it is your sons. Lesson learned to not let anyone else play with it if you don’t want it broke.

Um if my kid brought it outside and gave permission for another to use it, that would be on me :woman_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

I’d say you are to blame. Or your child. So you should pay x

3 Likes

Sucky situation but it’s not up to the other parents to pay…you let it outside. I know I’d be pissed too!!

3 Likes

Split the cost. Your son was most at fault for bringing it and letting his friend hold it

It was an accident in all fairness.
It’s not mom’s fault, it’s the child’s. Doesn’t matter who bought it, it was the child’s responsibility to say no and keep it inside. I understand kids are kids they prolly just wanted to be kind and share their fun ipad but if we wanna keep things not broken, say no and keep it inside.

3 Likes

You gave your son permission to take it outside so it’s definitely on you.

9 Likes

Now ur son lost friends, it was an accident not intentional, maybe u shud text the parents & say I apologize i realuze I’m in the wrong.
Their probably thinking what happens if ur son gets hurt playing w them, r u gonna want them pay dr. Bill

4 Likes

Your better off not going after them. It sucks for the kids but just let your kids know that it was a mistake and accidents happen. I’m sure the kid feels worse about breaking it then the dad feels angry. It’s expensive but it’s just an electronic device. I would make sure to use it as a learning opportunity. If you want maybe have the kid come over and ‘do chores’ like around the house to work it off??

1 Like

I know it’s sucks, but I would have your son work it off to pay to have it fixed. We’ve had our fair share of broken I pad screens. And it’s a risk your son took letting his friend play it. Honestly we’ve bought the stuff ourselves on Amazon and fix ours for about $30.

4 Likes

Your iPad your problem :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Oh that’s your fault! Your should call that kid mother and apologize… don’t let your kids lose a friend over this

3 Likes

Your son. It was his machine and he chose to take it outside and let his friend play with it.

3 Likes

I feel like that’s on you because why did you let him take it outside but as a parent I’d pay for whatever my kid broke & tell them not to touch ppls stuff

1 Like

Shouldn’t have outside. :disappointed:

Heat of the moment no probably did offer to pay for it but it’s truly not her responsibility.
That being said, I did pay for a make up pallet my 3 year old destroyed while I was over hanging out with a friend, but that was something she shouldn’t have been playing with and was entirely in the wrong to have out.

Should be a split bill, no it shouldn’t have been taken outside but the other kid should have been careful with someone else’s property… Both partys are at fault.

If your son brought it outside and gave permission for the friend to use it. That’s a lesson your son has to learn.

Now he will be without an IPAD.

I don’t think it’s up to the other parent to pay anything. It’s not like their child went in and grabbed the IPAD himself, then broke it.

26 Likes

Call it a wash and let everyone learn from it. Stuff breaks, accidents happen.

3 Likes

Yeah I wouldn’t let my kid take it outside in the first place. It’s either you stay inside and play the iPad indoors or play outside with no electronics. I’d say go half and half.

1 Like

If she offered to pay for it she probably should have done it but where it was your son who took it out where the other kids had access to it I wouldn’t push it too much and I’d eat the cost. He wouldn’t have had the chance to break it if it hadn’t have been brought out.

3 Likes

Maybe you guys can split the cost? Your kid shouldn’t have brought it outside but it was her kid’s fault they dropped it and she already did agree to pay.

4 Likes

I honestly have to say if you let your kids friend take it outside, that’s on you. You are the parent and you know how kids are.

2 Likes

Your shit you fix it. iPads don’t go outside. Period. So :woman_shrugging:t2: tough tit.

That is on you and your son. Not the other child’s responsibility at all or his parents to pay for you allowing it.

Uhm. Absolutely your fault for even letting him take it outside. They’re kids. :joy::joy:

1 Like

Its your fault i don’t ever let my kids bring their expensive electronics outside. It sucks that the other kids broke it but at the end of the day it was an accident.

1 Like

It’s your fault if it happened at your home and it was your sons iPad you have to be the one who takes the iPad and says specifically that the iPad isn’t to leave where it is while playing with friends

1 Like

Why doesn’t it have a case on it for one and for two that’s your fault, even though she offered to cover it, your son shouldn’t of had it outside

1 Like

You he’s a child accidents happen

1 Like

Well it was a mistake which means you should have fixed it.

1 Like

Oh my so many missed that the friends mom offered to pay lol I would have said, pay what you can afford and feel is fair SINCE she offered lol but I wouldn’t expect the entire thing to be paid by them.

3 Likes

Your kid shouldnt have brought it outside

Accidents happen

2 Likes

Yea you Def shouldn’t have let it go outside, you own the iPad any court would say you are responsible for fixing it.