Who should pay the babysitter?

My husband and I are going away for my cousin’s wedding. We can’t take the kids (they weren’t invited). My mother in law is watching them overnight but asked if I could get her some help for a few hours since she’ll be with them overnight. I got a sitter to come to help her with baths, dinner, and bedtime (coming at 3/4 staying until 9). My question is… who should be responsible for paying for the sitter? Me or my MIL? Let me say I’m willing to do it, but I think she should be able to handle the kids without help (my mother had taken my kids for long weekends on occasion with no issue). Advice, please? TIA

116 Likes

Sounds like the babysitter would be doing everything anyway… id pay for one and tell MIL not to worry about it

4 Likes

I’m confused??? Are they your kids??? If so, then yes, you pay the sitter. Maybe your MIL can just come visit them at your house and they just stay with the sitter.

Uhh not your mother in laws kids. Shes already watching them for you. If she needs some help pay up. Or pay someone to watch them all weekend …

10 Likes

You, they are your kids.

6 Likes

You.
Your trip. Your kids.

8 Likes

You should pay. Better she is asking for a bit of help. We all know kids go through rowdy stages… Maybe she hasn’t been feeling herself & knows she can’t chase after them. There are so many things it could be. Have a conversation & make sure all is well.

6 Likes

What A Question!!! I’ll tell you!!! Entitled!!!

15 Likes

That’s all you sister :wink:

4 Likes

I can’t believe this is an actual question YOU!!

15 Likes

I’d have someone else watch them if she can’t handle the full responsibility of it.

7 Likes

You got the sitter so you would pay. If your MIL got the sitter then she would pay.

It’s your responsibility to cover the costs for the babysitter. If your MIL needs the help then u must get it for her. After all she is watching your kids, & maybe it’s stressful for her.

4 Likes

I also agree with melissa^

1 Like

You. They are your kids.

2 Likes

Your kids weren’t invited???

2 Likes

I’m just going to say wow! You really asked thde question!

4 Likes

Your kids…you pay. Grandmas should not be the only ones you depend on to watch your kids. If she needs help and is willing to help you for the majority of the time and tells you she needs help then get her help. You should not compare grandmas to each other. I can’t believe you even have of ask this question.

33 Likes

Some of you are rude as hell she was asking for advice. Yeah they her children but the children’s gramma… I wouldn’t ask her I’d pay the babysitter…

5 Likes

All you and you should be thankful she’s watching them! Maybe it’s overloading for her to do all of that and needs some help ! I watch my grandchildren all the time and luckily I have my husband to help me not as young as I used to be. Help is nice !!

Is this even a serious question? Why the hell would anyone else pay for a sitter for your kids so you can go socialize??!

10 Likes

Your child… your cost. I can’t believe you would even consider it an obligation of your mother. She owes you nothing!

16 Likes

You want it. You pay for it.

3 Likes

I’m so confused🤔 why would your mother in law pay???

Best advice I EVER received from my Mother and Mother In Law. "If we (spouse) are working or attending school. Of course they would babysit. Entertainment events: Take them with us or find a babysitter. The mere fact that you can go to an event and know that although you’re hiring her help. There is actually SOMEONE in the house that Loves your children and will protect them with Her Life should be worth the extra coins.

Whoever is the mother? Raise your hand! And you pay!

3 Likes

You pay for the sitter and exclude your MIL from the equation.

3 Likes

Is there other family members that can help

1 Like

LMFAO is this serious? Of you of fking course. Unless she fked your man and had them kids. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Or send them with your mom.

You ask stupid questions, you get stupid answers.

7 Likes

Where do you find these “fans?” Geez.

7 Likes

Are you asking the question because you are “paying” your MIL…And since she ask for help…You think she should pay…!!! ijs…:face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

is this a trick question?

3 Likes

You are ungrateful. Nobody watches my kids at all.

Your kids your financial responsibility…

3 Likes

You should pay obviously

2 Likes

Not all of us have parents that taught us proper etiquette. That being said, yes, the parents pay. Be thankful grandma doesn’t charge. Some do.

9 Likes

You. Just because your mom can do it…doesnt mean another person can. She’s doing the favor of overnights for your kid…it’s your cost

6 Likes

I can’t believe that is even a question. Why would your MIL pay? Maybe next time she doesn’t offer to babysit at all.

5 Likes

Contrary to what you apparently believe your children are your financial responsibility

6 Likes

They’re your kids, you pay

3 Likes

You should be responsible they are your kids…is this even a real question.

5 Likes

You. They are your kids!

3 Likes

You should pay …its your kids stop comparing her to your mother maybe your mother has other family members around to assist her so she can afford to have them for long weekends …only your mother in-law knows her strength and weekness …be grateful.

You chose to go to the wedding and asked her to watch the kids you pay for the wedding

3 Likes

Then have your mom watch them.

5 Likes

I’m more shocked at these responses than I am the question actually

4 Likes

You. She is doing you a favor watching your kids. Why would it be her responsibility to pay for your children?

5 Likes

“She should be able to handle the kids without help” your stupidity is in another level girl… you win!!!

8 Likes

Just pay dont be silly

3 Likes

U got to b kidding r u really this Stupid.lol

2 Likes

YOU!!! I can’t believe this is even a question. 1) you’re BLESSED your mil is watching them so you can go out of town. She is not obligated to do so.
2) you should be more than gracious to get her some help and not question paying for it. Weather or not you think she needs the help

12 Likes

First off … If it’s family and you need time and space? Family would love to help and not expecting pay?

1 Like

I would pay the sitter myself just out of love n respect !! I’m sure she’d feel very appreciated n that’s my opinion?

Your children you pay for your children’s care services

4 Likes

YOU! How is this even a question. She’s doing you a solid by watching them at all. She’s not obligated.

5 Likes

YOU. Your lucky to have any free help at all. Lol :joy::joy::joy:

Lol…seriously you need to pay for the extra help or get your mother to watch them.

2 Likes

You there your children! Duh

1 Like

I don’t think it’s a stupid question. But I think we’re missing information. Are you paying the MIL? If so then some of her payment would go to the other sitter. So you would pay but deduct it from her payment. It’s business.

4 Likes

You could ask your mom to help your mil or pay for the extra help

You should pay, not Grandma.

1 Like

Does somebody make up these questions for this page? Seriously! You need new writers if thats the case.

Wow the fact that this is even a question🤦🏻‍♀️

10 Likes

What’s the point of your MIL even watching them if you’re going to end up paying someone else to “help”? Yes you are responsible for paying. Sounds like you need another sitter entirely if in-law can’t even handle it overnight🤷

You, because they’re your kids. If she asked for help then that means she cannot handle it on her own. Therefore you are responsible. Not her when she is already helping. Question is a little ridiculous to me actually.

15 Likes

YOU! They’re your children so they’re your responsibility. Your mother-in-law is doing you a favor to look after your children for FREE so paying for an extra help is YOUR responsibility not hers.

I’m surprised you’re even asking. You should pay for the help she needs and you should also pay your mother-in-law!!! Why is it assumed that in laws and grandparents should babysit for free? The love and nurturing kids get from grandparents has no price so a little cash would be a nice gesture on your part.

They are your kids and she is doing you a favor so you need to pay.

5 Likes

Idk , but if my kids aren’t invited I’m not going :woman_shrugging:, but to answer your question obviously you are responsible to pay the sitter for the help or better yet your husband , you wanna party you gotta pay $.

They are your kids help her out and pay a sitter

5 Likes

Why do you think this is your MIL responsibility? Im at a loss for words. These are your children that NEED to be looked after. She is already kind enough to take care of them for the weekend. You come across as unappreciative and entitled. Just be grateful you have a MIL that is willing.

107 Likes

I wud suggest take ur kids along. Noone in the world can take care of kids like the mom does

2 Likes

Makes me wonder if the kids are that wild & rambunctious that grandma can’t handle them, or if she’s that old & frail, or both

5 Likes

YOU know damn well who should. She’s so NOT obligated to watch your kids, regardless if your own mom does it with no issues… The audacity ALONE!!

34 Likes

Since you are their parent and she asked you ahead of time. It should be you and your husband. You are responsible to make sure they are safe while your away.

7 Likes

You should definitely pay!

3 Likes

What? You. You are responsible for your children. Not grandma.

13 Likes

Why even go if your children aren’t invited? If my kids aren’t welcome/invited, I don’t go.

You pay for child care!

6 Likes

Omg… u pay…its your kids

8 Likes

Maybe not attending would be the best it’s a cousin. You decided to have kids and if your not willing to pay and give your Mil extra help then stay home and care for your own children. People seem to forget it’s your responsibility not others to take care of your children.

19 Likes

Also don’t compare your mother to your MIL… each individual is different and we all have different needs and issues.

Oh… And she should charge you for caring for YOUR children!

14 Likes

You really didn’t ask that question…wow !

6 Likes

Have your mother watch them then.

3 Likes

Your mother in law is doing you the favor not you her. They are your kids… you need to pay for the extra hands. Come on now…

You pay…also, take your sweet, generous MIL out to a nice dinner when you return.
I can’t believe this is a legit question.

13 Likes

Wow. Why would you even question it? It’s your kids not hers. People are don’t have much common sense any more.

9 Likes

They’re your kids. Your mother in law, their grandma, isn’t responsible.

You mate this is all on you

1 Like

Why would your mother in law pay for YOUR kids​:woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming:

They are YOUR children your MIL is helping YOU. YOU should pay for the sitter and not your MIL… why is this even a question ?!:roll_eyes:

9 Likes

You… the mom and dad.

1 Like

When u were small, was ur grandma or ur mum took care of u?
Or… who gave birth to ur child? Ur mum, MIL or u?

3 Likes

Your kids so you should pay. There is a reason why she’s acting for help. It might be getting to hard to keep up with little ones. My mom couldn’t do a over nighter now with more then one grand baby and she used to for me all the time with my two when they wee little.

Omg this is hilarious :joy: is this a serious question? Ffs they’re your kids …when mine where little if they weren’t invited too we didn’t go …anyway you should pay your ungrateful and a twit

8 Likes

Seriously? Do you tie your own shoes too? Ohmygosh sad world we live in.

4 Likes

Omg I don’t even believe you asked that question… They’re YOUR KIDS… You pay for everything.

8 Likes

You. She’s doing you a favour.

6 Likes