Who should wake up at night with baby?

My spouse and I took turns for the first few weeks, now it’s more so me unless I force him up lol

Uhm he gets up at night and I take care of her all day while he works.

If ur a stay at home mom then you. Days off for him u both should do it.

1 Like

Both if formula fed
Breastfed…mama does…but then daddy can help by doing the changing of the diaper. Then 1 or other can get baby back to sleep. I guess can make it happen so both can get up!

1 Like

I’ve always do and have. Idk in my mind I dont think he could do it like I do… he does work tho I think the only time I’ve had him do it was 3 months in cuz I needed sleep bad we have a 8 and 9 yr old also so I was drained . But I try to sleep when baby does so it doesnt bother me I do it alone I choose that way I’m sure he likes it lol dont hear any complaints on that end…but whatever u think is fair for your household

Before midnight, my husband gets up. After midnight, I get up. I stay at home, he drives a semi truck for a living. There is no way I’m making him get up in the night so he is too tired to drive the next morning and falls asleep at the wheel

1 Like

My partner works 5 days a week and 6 days for me, we have 11 month old, we’ve shared the responsibility since day one! He’d never expect me to do more than him, and that’s one of the reasons I was able to go back to work so fast, we also have a 9 and 5 year old, parenting should always be 50/50

Depends on the work schedule. Like I stay at home and my husband works stupid schedule, so it’s better if I wake up with her during the night, but she’s also easy, cause she’s only woken up once a night since she was 2months old

My hubby works full time and 10-15 hour days. I 100% get up with our twins and have from day one because I want him to come home at the end of the day, not get a call he died due to lack of sleep.

If the schedule allows absolutely both people can do night wakes (unless baby is EBF of course) but typically one person has to continue working due to the way things are now.

It’s all about balance, HELL YES he needs to help out and wake up. But if he works during the day and you’re just home I would take more responsibility over the baby. Your man should WANT to help you. Take turns

My bf worked thru the newborn stage and had to get up early so I did it.

We don’t have babies anymore but I always got up… my husband drives for a living (10-14hour days) I didn’t need him tired at work… I much rather me be tired & my husband come home everyday safe because he was driving sleepy. He helps out on weekends.

I mean are you nursing because his useless nipples won’t help. Also if you stay home and he works I think you should take more of the wake ups

I grew the baby. I birthed the baby. I make the food for the baby. Getcher butt up and get that baby! :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I’m a stay at home mom right now, so me

I always did when I was on Maternity leave and it was a work week for him. On his days off he did it

Really I did it when I was on leave which I kinda regret because it made my husband use to me doing it. So I really think it’s both parents responsibility but each couple’s responsibility to communicate what is needed. It’s to much for any mom in my experience. When I went back to work I would be so tired when I’d get home from work I’d pass out and just had such a hard time. My kid is 6 and is just now not waking up at night. Even potty trained and a big boy he use to still wake me up at least once a night. Now he finally sleeps better but when he was a baby he had stomach issues and was always crying and like never sleeping so exhausting.

Who made the kid?lol obviously both :thinking::joy:

Different curcumstances if he works and you dont or the other way round or if you both work take it in turns

1 Like

I think every situation is different and you do what works best for your family. As long as your not doing EVERYTHING alone. I did night time feedings because I loved the quiet bonding time but my partner always helped or got up when I asked.

2 Likes

Whoever is willing to be the responsive parent. Doesnt matter. Just take care of baby

It depends on what you work out for your family. I get up with the baby most of the time but sometimes she just won’t go back down for me, so he will also get up to put her back to sleep.

I wouldn’t make my husband get up in the middle of the night to do what I could do without him if he has to work early the next morning, and I didn’t, I guess it just depends on the work schedules.
If you both work full time, split the wakeups evenly, if one works later or less hours, that one should take the responsibility of waking up more.

My husband does night shift regardless of his schedule & mine, I’m too much of a heavy sleeper to hear anything when im actually asleep.

It depends on what works for your family.

Depends on your situation

My husband works and I stay home with my kiddos. With that arrangement I wake up with kiddos and try to make sure nothing wakes him up. That being said he is always happy to help if I wake him up and say I need help. That’s what works for us anyways🤷🏼‍♀️

1 Like

Im sorry but this is such a ridiculous question.

1 Like

It’s a partnership tell your partner you need help and stop acting like a child.

Both, like take turns, and if one stays home and the other works, then the one who works can do it on nights when they’re off the next morning :woman_shrugging:t2::woman_shrugging:t2:
Balance in any situation

1 Like

Whoever the parents of said baby agreed on. That person/s should. 💁 And it’s okay to switch it up. But talk about it BEFORE you are tired and stressed…

I do the nightly wake ups because my hunny has epilepsy. In return, he lets me nap whenever I need it. :heart: it worked for us with our first, hopefully it’ll work next year with the new little one.

Mostly I did since I was breastfeeding. My husband would take over if she wouldn’t go back to sleep, and he always wanted to do at least 1 feeding a night of pumped milk. He usually did around midnight since that’s when he got home from work.

It depends, you need to give more details in your post. Do you both work? Do one of you stay home? If I was breast feeding I would need to be the one to get up in the middle of the night but if I wasn’t and we both worked 9 to 5 jobs then we both get up and take turns.

1 Like

I mean, there’s no straight answer for this. It all depends on the people and the relationship but if you don’t work and he does then get up and take care of the baby. He’s out making money to pay bills and ect so I wouldn’t be complaining. He can change a diaper and feed the baby if he’s awake and you need a break but I wouldn’t expect him to work a full time job and wake up with the baby through the night when he’s gotta get up to go to work

1 Like

I was the only one to take care of the baby at night, but I was also a stay at home mom at the time and my children’s father worked long hours… Didn’t bother me one bit. Was it tiring? Yes! Was working all day tiring for him? YES! you do what works for your family…

This is something that should’ve been discussed prior to the baby being born.
Every situation is different and there is no one right answer.

Does he work a long schedule? 7d a week? Do you work? When are your (his and yours) days off? Can you function on little sleep?

In my specific relationship we talked about this. We came up together that it would be most cost effective for me to stay home. And as such I would be the one to care for the baby night and day. I felt his sleep and rest was more important and he was bringing in the money that we needed. I’m also been able to function on little no to sleep, he can’t.

I do let him know when I’m hitting that point of exhaustion and need him to step in. And he helps. This rarely happened.

Not everyone does this. Most women believe that the man made the baby also so he needs to wake up too.

You have to look at your own relationship and see what works best for it. And what works best for your health.

1 Like

It should be both…but if the breadwinner works 40+ hrs he should be able to catch a break…except on wkeds!!

When I’m home (I work nights) i do because hes breastfed and hes usually waking up to eat. When I’m at work dad wakes up with him or if dads working a night shift (he does this at least once a week) grandma wakes up with him. Depends on who’s home. Always me tho when I’m home. I can also get him back to sleep fast at night so it’s not a problem. We also cosleep.

I got up but I also breastfed. He still made sure I had whatever I needed though & I knew I could get him if I needed him

Whoever wakes up first

I depends on your situation and on yourself. I have always been the one to wake up and to take care of the kids regardless but that’s just because what I was taught and what I wanted.

1 Like

My husband and I would take turns unless it was time for my son to nurse

If both parents work then take turns, if only one works then it should be the parent that doesn’t work but switch off when the working parent is off the next day. But if the mother is ebf she has no choice unless she pumps

I mostly do the nights (unless my boyfriend is up on a midnight sleep schedule) he doesn’t wake up to the monitor as fast as I do, and he wears contacts and can barely see without them and his glasses got lost when we moved. He does afternoons/evenings and bedtime while I work, and I do nights and morning

Did you make the baby alone? Or did you both? Your answer to those questions is the answer.:woman_shrugging:t2:

I always got up bc i breast fed… But even now they tend to want their momma at night… He helps in many other ways and we both work full time

:joy::joy::joy: if she’s a single mother, yes.

I think it depends. I never asked my husband to, because he works and I don’t. And he always made sure that I got plenty of sleep when our son was little, so I didn’t mind being the one to wake up at nights.

Depends…does she stay home fulltine w baby while he works fulltime. If he works fulltime then yes mom should be the obe cuz she can sleep during the day when baby does. However if both work or both are sah parents then take turns…

My bf and i take turns on who wakes up at night with our son

I feel both should . Even when staying home with the baby the woman gets tired also and requires sleep and a break . A man shouldn’t feel as if it’s only a woman’s job . We went through all hard parts to get the baby here plus we feed them and change them always make sure it has what it needs so a man should help with everything

I got up most nights with both but my hubby would wake them right before bed if I was working (I work all shifts as a nurse) and feed them so I could sleep some. Same with the AM he got up at 445 and would warm and give a bottle to them once they could hold it.
It takes two for sure!

I’ve been up with my daughter because her dad worked ft. Now he’s laid off and hell try to get up with her but she just wants me, she’s very attached since its just been me getting up with the her three past three months.
Its whatever works for you but obvs the child is closer to whom is taking care of him/her :sparkling_heart:

Depends on several things. If mom breastfeeds, dad can’t really do much good at night anyway. If formula feeding, if both parents work outside of the home , both should take turns getting up with baby. If one works outside the home and the other doesn’t, the one who stays home should get up with baby on work nights and the other parent on days off. That way the one that works has rest for work and the one who stays home gets a break a couple days a week.

2 Likes

I did the waking up all the time for all three of my children. That’s what I was taught.

I do nights alone unless baby is sick and dad is concerned or weve had a rough few nights dad will get up just to help entertain me but he works and I stay home so he shouldn’t have to get up in my opinion his job is dangerous he needs his rest!

1 Like

It all depends on the situation I would think :woman_shrugging: but both should help out equally

1 Like

I breastfeed and my partner works, so me. Though on the rare occasion she needs changing at night, he’ll do that to help get me some rest.

1 Like

I always have because i breastfed, even when i was working. Waking him up with me would be pointless because theres really no way for him to help i didn’t change my son everytime he woke up so it was mostly feed then back to sleep

1 Like

Well, i ised to and then some how my boyfriend was the one who woke up to her cries at night until she finally slept thru the night. So i guess it depends.

Both. I had twins and my ex tried the whole “if one wakes up it’s all yours… :roll_eyes:” so I woke the other baby up so he had to help. :smiling_imp:

1 Like

This isn’t a “mom or dad” question. This is a family role question. Depends on your roles in the house. My spouse and I both work full time so we share house and child duties. We’re 50/50. If I were at home without a schedule to maintain at my job I’d be the one to get up at night

4 Likes

Id say depends on so many factors … Both but if he works alot and the mom doesnt I think the mom should do it. If mom is breastfeeding dad could still help get up change baby bring baby to you. Maybe baby wont go back to bed, could take turns doing that. If one works though that’s hard on them in that case hopefully they give you a break when they are home. If mom had a c section they need that help see if the dad can get some time off if financially able too.

When my baby was first born my husband worked nights. So I would pump and he’d feed her before he left and I got some rest. When he got back from work I’d pump again and he’d feed her again. I’d breast feed her while he was at work.

As a stay at home mom I’ve always taken care of the babies at night since my husband needs to sleep in order to work and provide for our family so I can continue to stay home
The general rule of thumb is you sleep when the baby does so that allows for naps throughout the day for myself that my husband obviously can’t have at work

I don’t think it’s the “woman’s responsibility” but I know in most cases woman have time off to care for the baby while the man stays working, so it makes more sense for the woman to get up as the man has to work the next day (that’s how our house has always worked) however if the situation varies I’d probably ask my partner to help out every once in a while🤷🏻‍♀️

2 Likes

Haha the boyfriend does it lol and did it for our fourth

We alternated nights. And whoever got to sleep through the night, got up with the kids in the morning. My youngest got RSV and we spent a week in the hospital, while my boyfriend stayed home with my 3 year old. For the next 3 weeks after that, he wouldn’t let me get up at night cause he knew the week was stressful.

My husband always woke up God bless him I would wake up if I had to diaper change but during the day my husband chilled and it was my responsibility to watch my kids and do my house making

For us it always depended on who had to wake up for work in the morning. If both of us did then we would take turns each time, but if I had to be up early which usually happened during the weekends then he would wake up. During the week he was always the one that worked early so I would wake up during the week.

When my son was born he slept in his bassinet next to me, so when he would cry I would immediately get up. I had a very difficult delivery, so my husband (who is saint) really helped with everything, even after I healed. Once my son moved to his crib my husband got up with him. It really does just depend on the situation. I definitely don’t think its “the womans job” though.

1 Like

People gotta stop making it a competition. I don’t care who wakes up with the baby, atleast someone’s waking up for the baby🤔

2 Likes

Whatever works for your family

As I’m breast feeding and not working that makes it my job, as long as he’s working on his days off he can help while I nap a bit longer during the day and wake me if they are showing hunger cues

1 Like

My husband and I both get up with our 4 month old son. Sometime he gets up more because I have the kids all day while he’s working. It just depends but I feel it should not be a question of who has to get up with baby but a shared roll. You both made baby and you should both be active in all parenting responsibilities.

For us it was whoever heard the baby cry got up with the baby

Both parent’s. But i agree mum should get up if on mat leave and dad has work in the morning but dad should get up on days off to give mum a rest. Xx

My husband was working and I wasn’t. I woke up with the baby and he slept in a different room. Now he works for months away and comes home and doesn’t work. I do but I make my own schedule and we take turns waking up with needy children… we’ve created monsters

I’m at stay at home mom currently… But when our son(now 6months) was a newborn we took turns… After about a week he set his own sleep schedule and sleeps through night(still does) my husband refuses to wake me or let me take care of our son at night and does it himself. Only time he wakes me or asks me for help is if he has already done everything to try to get him to go back to sleep. In my opinion its should be BOTH parents that take of the child no matter what time of day it is if they are both home.

2 Likes

On the weekdays I usually take care of the baby. BUT my husband usually outs her to bed since they both go to bed much earlier than me and our older child and he’ll bring her to me if she wakes up inghe night or before he goes to work inghe morning (around 4-5am).
On weekends when he’s off (3 days at a time) he’ll usually stay up with her and leave me to my sleep and let me sleep in… this started happening more and more often the further along in my current pregnancy I’ve gotten because both kids would sleep with me and he preferred to sleep on the other bed because of his back. Our kids are 4 and 14 months and I’m 38 weeks with our 3rd.
Sometimes if I know he’s super tired or I have enough energy I’ll just go take the baby to bed with me and leave him to sleep.
It’s all about partnership and compromise. You’re both the parents, you both have the responsibility… how you handle it is your choice.
In the first few months only I get up with the babies because I’ve always breastfed in the beginnings and obviously he would be useless at that time :joy:

1 Like

Whoever dont work the next day.

2 Likes

Depends on how baby is fed

Whichever one doesn’t have to get up and go to work. If one of you stays home then you are the night nanny. If you both don’t work or you both do work, take turns depending on who goes to work first next. But definitely the stay at home parent.

If the husband has to work the woman gets up to take care of the baby. I wouldn’t want my s/o getting up to take care of the baby then go to work tired the next day.

That’s between you and your husband. I try to do it in our house as my hubs starts his day at 330am and is super hands on when he’s home, so in return he tAkes the kids to breakfast on Saturday mornings so I can sleep in. No right or wrong wY just what works for your family

1 Like

Both… But, I breastfeed… So, all me in that department.

When my kids were babies my husband worked nights so obviously I did nights, however when he got home he took care of their needs etc… so I could get some extra sleep. That’s what worked for us. Each family dynamics are different so you do what’s best for you.

I’m always the first one up and the last one down. I work full time since he was 4 months old. done all night wake ups since he was born, along with everything in between. I have to be up for work at 430 am and typically I dont get to bed til after 11. The responsibilities vary widely depending on how your relationship works and is. I hope you find a happy medium that works for you

I think it depends. I can fall back asleep a lot easier than my husband and I can also be quicker with our daughter. He also has a high pressure job he needs 8 hours of sleep before he goes and work to preform well. Nights he doesn’t have to get that he offers. I honestly love those middle of the night feedings and cuddles though and rarely take him up on it.

Both. Now my husband works long hours. So I’ll wake up with our son. Let him sleep. But on the weekends, the kid is all his. Lol.

Okay, so I understand why people say whoever is staying home and not working needs to do nights, but can we please acknowledge that staying home to care for another human being is equally as important. Not to mention continued sleep deprivation is dangerous. Both parents should be responsible for nights to some degree. The primary care giver at night needs to be relieved of night duties at some point just from a health standpoint. Women need a full nights sleep just as much as men do.

12 Likes

both. tell your husband to get his ass out a bed or gtfo :triumph::wave:

I always do because I breastfeed. As they wean my husband does take more of a role.

1 Like

I’m sorry this shouldn’t even be a question… really? It shouldn’t matter as long as the baby gets fed … is what matters

3 Likes

I think it depends. My husband had to get up at 5 AM to go to work a 12hr day. So no way in hell was I going to make him get up feed baby. I am a stay at home mom soooo I could nap whenever. But on the weekends after he got some rest, he would get up with her and let me get some sleep!

On my 6 weeks off after birth I’d get up. Once I went back to work we alternated at night. Saturday’s he’d let me sleep in, vice versa on Sundays.

Both …they made the child together it’s thier blessing

1 Like

A baby needs mama that is their comfort.

1 Like

I did because I breastfed. He took time off and he would change diapers. When he went back to work I did. But, both mine slept from 10p to 6a by the time they were 2 months old. We were on a schedule that revolved around them.

Uh, you both made the baby. You both share all responsibilities. Simple.

This anwer will be different in every household… depends on circumstances and personality… even if both of us do work and for first 6 months baby goes with me to work so its 24 hour a day thing for me… if my husband had to get up for baby i would be sitting up en watching or lying listening or following him to help… thats just my personality… so i just do it myself and get it done no use in both not getting good rest… and i feel satisfied as soon as i get back in bed